All Hail Pork thread

Moby Ric

Love cooking pork and I am stalled out on good marinades and methods.  So I come to the Surly chefs for new ideas for grilling and marinades for pork chops etc.  Looking to marinade some chops for later tonight, about to head to HEB, if open to get some fresh stuff for a good summer marinade.  Would love some suggestions and recipes you guys like.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Love cooking pork and I am stalled out on good marinades and methods.  So I come to the Surly chefs for new ideas for grilling and marinades for pork chops etc.  Looking to marinade some chops for later tonight, about to head to HEB, if open to get some fresh stuff for a good summer marinade.  Would love some suggestions and recipes you guys like.

Brine your chops for 24 hours.  Pat dry, lightly oil, grill over high heat.  You're welcome.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Brine your chops for 24 hours.  Pat dry, lightly oil, grill over high heat.  You're welcome.

I strongly prefer a dry brine over a traditional brine for pork chops. A typical brine makes it more difficult to get a nice crust on a chop. I also really like the reverse sear method if I'm not breaking out the sous vide cooker for the same reason.

IMG_20180605_201822.jpg

This is a traditionally brined chop I made; it's pretty pale relative to my ideal. That said, I do like a peach/bourbon glaze for summer chops. Add some gelatin to a cup of chicken stock, then reduce with some peaches and jalapenos, and add a splash of bourbon to loosen the sauce back up before serving. You can grill some peaches and throw them on top.

• Like 1

Smothered Pork Chops:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/smothered-pork-chops-recipe/index.html

1 cup all-purpose flour 
2 tablespoons onion powder 
2 tablespoons garlic powder 
1 teaspoon cayenne 
1 teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
4 pork chops, 3/4-inch thick, bone-in 
1/4 cup olive oil 
1 1/2cup chicken broth 
3/4 cup buttermilk 
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish 

Directions:
Put the flour in a shallow platter and add the onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper; mixand distribute evenly. Pat the pork chops dry with paper towels to remove any moisture and then dredge them in the seasoned flour; shaking off the excess.

Heat a large saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat and coat with the oil. When the oil is nice and hot, lay the pork chops in the pan and fry for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove the pork chops from the pan and add a little sprinkle of seasoned flour to the pan drippings. Mix the flour into the fat to dissolve and then pour in the chicken broth in. Let the liquid cook down for 5 minutes to reduce and thicken slightly. Stir in the buttermilk to make a creamy gravy and return the pork chops to the pan, covering them with the sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes until the pork is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with chopped parsley before serving. 

11 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Definitely brine, but you don't need 24 hours.  3-4 hours will do it.

Hadn't every really thought about the timing.  I guess it depends on the thickness?  I like using the sirloin chops, about 3/4 inch thick or better.  I brine overnight because that's what I have time for (I don't get home 3-4 hours before dinner).

Dry brine, fresh rosemary, and--right before going onto the grill--fennel pollen.  HEB doesn't carry fennel pollen, but it's available on Amazon and is basically fennel seeds on 'roids.  The rosemary / fennel combo results in a porchetta-like flavor.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Hadn't every really thought about the timing.  I guess it depends on the thickness?  I like using the sirloin chops, about 3/4 inch thick or better.  I brine overnight because that's what I have time for (I don't get home 3-4 hours before dinner).

You're right -- I'll brine all day if I'm doing a whole pork loin.

I do 3-4 hours on the chops.  Maybe I did something wrong, but the only time I did chops for 12 (or so) hours, they came out waaaaaaaaay too salty.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

You're right -- I'll brine all day if I'm doing a whole pork loin.

I do 3-4 hours on the chops.  Maybe I did something wrong, but the only time I did chops for 12 (or so) hours, they came out waaaaaaaaay too salty.

Oh, I account for that -- I dial back on the salt.  Because you're right, they'll absorb more (being thinner, and having that much time).  Hadn't really put it to words before, but yep, dial back the salt in your brine if you're brining thinner cuts for a long time.

OP, I preach this wherever I can:  Rack.  Of.  Pork.  I find them at Costco around TG/Christmas and (this year) Easter.  Think pig prime rib.  If you have the means, season as you like and roast over hickory at 350* until internal of 140*, about 1.5 hours.  Rest under foil tent for 20-25 minutes (internal rises to 145*), carve, serve.  

Here’s one I did in May:

28080459418_57999ae3a1_z.jpg

28080459148_434400c1c7_z.jpg

(Pictured above with creamy Hatch green chile scalloped potatoes and garlic Parmesan green beans and baby bellas)

Pro tip:  serve with smoked au ju.  Fill a foil pan with 1 can chicken broth and equal part water.  Place under the rack to collect drippings and smoke during the cook.  Strain and reduce in sauce pan while the rack is resting.  Serve in ramekins.

• Like 6

OP, I preach this wherever I can:  Rack.  Of.  Pork.  I find them at Costco around TG/Christmas and (this year) Easter.  Think pig prime rib.  If you have the means, season as you like and roast over hickory at 350* until internal of 140*, about 1.5 hours.  Rest under foil tent for 20-25 minutes (internal rises to 145*), carve, serve.  
Here’s one I did in May:
28080459418_57999ae3a1_z.jpg
28080459148_434400c1c7_z.jpg
(Pictured above with creamy Hatch green chile scalloped potatoes and garlic Parmesan green beans and baby bellas)
Pro tip:  serve with smoked au ju.  Fill a foil pan with 1 can chicken broth and equal part water.  Place under the rack to collect drippings and smoke during the cook.  Strain and reduce in sauce pan while the rack is resting.  Serve in ramekins.

Hmmmm. It is hatch season.

• 2 years later...

I am smoking a pork belly for the first time

Planning on doing like a "Sweet and Spicy" rub

with Brown Sugar, Smoked Paprika, Chili Powder, Black Pepper & Salt

Never done one before but it's getting colder and it seems like it would make a great snack

Anyone smoked one before? Any tips/advice?

13 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I am smoking a pork belly for the first time

Planning on doing like a "Sweet and Spicy" rub

with Brown Sugar, Smoked Paprika, Chili Powder, Black Pepper & Salt

Never done one before but it's getting colder and it seems like it would make a great snack

Anyone smoked one before? Any tips/advice?

I don’t do them whole, but have made pork belly burnt ends several times (including this past Saturday).

Cut in cubes (1 inch-ish), cover with a pork rub

Place on a cooling rack on the smoker, smoke at 225 for 3 hours.

Put in aluminum tray, cover with squeeze Parkay and agave (or brown sugar). Cover tray with foil,  Cook 1 1/2 hours at 225

Remove from the liquid in the tray, toss in a sweet/spicy sauce (I use cherry habanero), put in a clean tray and cook uncovered at 225 for 20 minutes

Enjoy.  A lot like Killeen’s STQ version, except they do a quick flash fry before doing the final sauce

10 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

I don’t do them whole, but have made pork belly burnt ends several times (including this past Saturday).

Cut in cubes (1 inch-ish), cover with a pork rub

Place on a cooling rack on the smoker, smoke at 225 for 3 hours.

Put in aluminum tray, cover with squeeze Parkay and agave (or brown sugar). Cover tray with foil,  Cook 1 1/2 hours at 225

Remove from the liquid in the tray, toss in a sweet/spicy sauce (I use cherry habanero), put in a clean tray and cook uncovered at 225 for 20 minutes

Enjoy.  A lot like Killeen’s STQ version, except they do a quick flash fry before doing the final sauce

One revision — the final cook is 30 min not 20 — typo

spacer.png

Edited by AustinMT
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

These are mangalitsa pork chops. I took the photo at the grocery store in Slovakia, where I used to live.

The mangalitsa pig is a curly haired breed that most people link to Hungary, but there is a small herd in Slovakia as well thanks to the strong historical links between the countries. I won’t go into the history here but let’s say it’s not quite an Iberian hog raised on acorns, it’s damn close. You can see from the marbling and color, this is a heritage breed bred mostly to turn into the best bacon and sausage you’ve had in your life.

Fresh mangalitsa is a bit of a luxury product but it’s not obscenely priced and is relatively available. The way I like cook this is to simply grill it or pan-sear and serve with a big pad of homemade garlic and chive compound butter. Because it’s got plenty of marbling it can stand up to a longer cooking time and temperature, with super lean American pork I don’t go beyond medium.

This is the platonic ideal of a pork chop. If you ever see it in a specialty store or on the menu, don’t hesitate.

6b9493de37913d818cacdecb3124e30e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 years later...

hits close to home, making a pork roast tomorrow. rub it in olive oil, season and in the oven at 425 for 20 mins or so. add onions / mushrooms / carrots and back in the over, 325 for an hour or so. all sprinkle some brown gravy mix in there too. delicious 

ill freeze and vacuum pack servings 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Cochinita Pibil is pretty freaking easy, but requires some planning.

I found this carnitas recipe years ago in Edible Austin.  Did it for a birthday party when my first son was really young and I wanted something that was low maintenance, tasted good, and would feed a bunch of people.  It was a big hit.  I've done it a few times since then.  I just do it in a dutch oven on the stove.  I also trim the fat a bit or else you get a very think layer of oil on top while it cooks.

https://edibleaustin.com/recipes/jack-gilmores-everything-we-need-right-here-carnitas/

14 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

I found this carnitas recipe years ago in Edible Austin.  Did it for a birthday party when my first son was really young and I wanted something that was low maintenance, tasted good, and would feed a bunch of people.  It was a big hit.  I've done it a few times since then.  I just do it in a dutch oven on the stove.  I also trim the fat a bit or else you get a very think layer of oil on top while it cooks.

https://edibleaustin.com/recipes/jack-gilmores-everything-we-need-right-here-carnitas/

That is why it is often called a pork confit.  I'm sure that Jack knows what he's doing, and that is pretty much the recipe I used, but I added a final step to a big batch of carnitas that I made for an event this past weekend.  Pull and shred the cooked pork onto a baking sheet in single layers and put into a hot oven (maybe 425) until the pork develops some crispy brown goodness. 

If you don't already, work pork tenderloin into your regular rotation.  When its open, you can get a package of two pork tenderloins for $8-10 at HEB.  Season, sear in an oven safe pan, place in the oven at 375 for until internal temp reaches 145.  Remove from pan, rest under foil for another 10 minutes.  Relatively inexpensive protein that is easy and fast to prepare.  Three of us usually eat one tenderloin and I vacuum seal the other for a future meal.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

If you don't already, work pork tenderloin into your regular rotation.  When its open, you can get a package of two pork tenderloins for $8-10 at HEB.  Season, sear in an oven safe pan, place in the oven at 375 for until internal temp reaches 145.  Remove from pan, rest under foil for another 10 minutes.  Relatively inexpensive protein that is easy and fast to prepare.  Three of us usually eat one tenderloin and I vacuum seal the other for a future meal.

Whole pork loins are one of my favorite things to smoke.  When we get our hogs butchered at the local locker, we always get the whole loin.  Rub it like a pork butt (mustard for a binder, rub of your choice) and inject with apple cider vinegar.  It's up to temp in about 2 hours and usually gets a great smoke ring.  I'll eat it for a week.

• Hook 'Em 1