Time for another Do Dogs Like Blues Harp thread?

tantric superman

So in the old internet message board you all helped me with your thoughts on whether dogs liked being crated. 

(Follow up, when the dog is put in a room with his crate, he naps in the crate.  When we give him the run the house, he just plops down anywhere.)

So I was playing some harmonica in the back room and the dog gets down into sphinx position and starts howling along.  The wife comes charging in and grabs the pup and tells me I'm hurting him and hauls him out of the room.  (She's not a fan when we get him to howl.)

My thoughts are that if the harmonica were hurting the dog he'd leave the room.  The fact that he relaxes and sings along (howls - doesn't look particularly comfortable) means he is enjoying himself.

Pretty much this (although I am a better harp player):

Dogs are sensitive to high volume, like any animal, but they seem to enjoy high pitches.  Whenever I play guitar, my dog comes and sits next to me.

And he's not howling because it hurts.  Wolves howl whenever they hear anything that sounds like another pack's howling.  Hell, my last dog howled at ambulances and fire trucks going by.

Edited by TexArcher

12 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Nope.  Stayed in a relaxed position.  Snout just went up in the air to howl.

I'll just play after I send the wife out on errands.  No use poking the bear.

The dog is just wanting to join in.  Could be a good way to bond.  Tell your wife that her feelings aren't the dogs feelings.

I'm real slow to apply wolf-to-dog logic, but social howling is a safe comparison.