Covers Good and Bad

RollLeft

I won't put the whole album here (and I'm not sure I get the OP's premise) but Shawn Colvin's Cover Girl is either brilliant or distasteful depending, I think, entirely on your perspective.  But this one belongs in "songs that make you say Holy Shit" even if you think it's shitty.  

• Like 1

I've been a huge Shawn Colvin fan for probably 25 years now.  I was excited when she moved to Austin but ultimately disappointed that she never really became part of the music community.  Her choice, though.

My favorite live moment was at La Zona Rosa, right around her peak in terms of sales, and she spoke about getting to open up for Sting at some big show.  Towards the end of his set he called her up, to her surprise, to sing on "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic".  Hearing her try to imitate his voice and relating her near-schoolgirl reaction was really cool.  There's always somebody bigger.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/23/2018 at 11:43 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Heard a tidbit on XMS Volume today about this. Harry heard this Badfinger original playing at at a party and (sorta understandably) mistook it for The Beatles. The session players include Klaus Voormann on bass and Jim Keltner on drums. One vocal take.

• 2 weeks later...