Covers Good and Bad

RollLeft

On 9/20/2019 at 6:18 AM, Earl Haffler said:

these guys freakin' blow me away.  I just ran across them.

A few years ago (I guess more than few as per the below vid it was 2013) I caught a n HBO special with Chicago in concert.  I remarked to my wife that "damn, these guys have SO MANY awesome jams.  Sure enough a couple of months later they announce a concert at The Greek Theater (an unbelievable place to see a show, BTW).  What a great show.  And they played every song just like it was recorded, which personally I like, as opposed to bands that really depart from the original.

As an aside, halfway through the show they stop and out walks Al Pacino.  They are filming a scene for his upcoming film "Imagine" about some aging rock star.  They do a number and use the fans in the crowd as extras.  I'm in there somewhere as we were lower section (of course).  

They also had a charity thing where the highest bidder got to sing a song with the band.  The highest bidder was Joe "Fat Tony" Montegna.  I forget the song he did but he was pretty good.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dang.  That caused actual goosebumps, and not just because of her looks.

Yeah, the voice causes goosebumps. 

The looks cause another kind of "bump".

Those bare feet are the coups de gras for me.

Edited by Cajun

On 9/20/2019 at 8:18 AM, Earl Haffler said:

these guys freakin' blow me away.  I just ran across them.

Every dude in that outfit is a stone cold instrumental and vocal killer, but that drummer is on his own planet of awesomeness.

A fucking beast!

55 minutes ago, Cajun said:

It's funny, you name any big time female vocal voice today on the radio and none hold a candle to this gal.

Not one.

Uh, tap the brakes there.  I try not to get into the Haley discussions because I tend to think of her as a pretty cartoonish singer, but in my opinion there are many female vocalists on the radio these days who can school her.  Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Elle King, Kacey Musgraves, the Highwomen crowd (Maren Morris & Brandi Carlisle in particular), and Adele (if she still counts) come to mind.

I find the whole Postmodern Jukebox movement nothing but kitschy elevator music.  Of course, nobody asked me, but surly . . .

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Maybe it’s because I don’t know anything about her but that voice doesn’t seem cartoonish to me. Sounds very legit in my book.

I'm probably jaded because of her path to whatever fame she's achieved . . . American Idol . . . but I just don't feel like there's any depth to her singing.

That said, lots of people lover her, and opinions, assholes, etc.

35 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Maybe it’s because I don’t know anything about her but that voice doesn’t seem cartoonish to me. Sounds very legit in my book.

She’s technically better than anyone in Jimmy’s list not named Adele.

Postmodern Jukebox gave her a platform, but the voice stands on its own irrespective of that.

Cartoonish?  I’ll agree to that on the PMJ stuff as it’s somewhat by design, but go back and listen to her doing Can’t Find My Way Home.  It’s the exact opposite of cartoonish.

Soulfoul, ya, but certainly not cartoonish.

Anyway, it’s all just taste and opinion in the end.

So, for me, she’s as sexy and listenable as they come with a very small group of peers.

For me.

37 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm probably jaded because of her path to whatever fame she's achieved . . . American Idol . . . but I just don't feel like there's any depth to her singing.

That said, lots of people lover her, and opinions, assholes, etc.

See, I knew nothing of her path/story.  Just heard the voice and was hooked.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, and her looks don't hurt either.  She's nobody's 10 but she definitely cuts a sexy vibe.

She's got that curvy, pouty thing goin' on.  And in Creep, when she does the hand movements...

TAKE ME TO JAIL BOYS!!!