Covers Good and Bad

RollLeft

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

We'll just have to disagree there.  I mean, I don't like Ariana's music, but for pity's sake, she is a technical wizard.  Same goes for Brandi and Gaga.

Problem with, say, Ariana is she has tools, but feels the need to incorporate every single one of those tools into every single fucking note.  This broad has tools too, but knows when and when not to use them.  That’s part of being a good technician.  Kinda like Gilmour knowing where silence is powerful.  Gaga gets that.  Ariana?  Shit, she’s got a looong way to go in that department.  The old, “It’s not enough to know which notes to play, you gotta know WHY they need to be played” spirit.

Somewhere out there is a prominent voice coach breaking down Reinhardt doing Creep.  Same coach breaks down Ariana, Gaga, and some of the others discussed.  You can tell after watching her vocal “autopsy” the one that really grabs her by the boo boo is Haley.  

If I come across it I’ll post it up.

Here ya go Jimmy.  This doesn't prove anything really (and I don't intend that) but it's interesting if nothing else.

I've seen others where she critiques/reacts and she doesn't pan anyone, it's usually all positive, but she gets into this one more than on any other I've watched.

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Damn @jinx Goosebumps starting at about 3:00 in the second video.

Bobby Britt has a cool story.   I am a HUGE Mandolin Orange fan, so that makes his story cooler to me.  Lots of surgery for his cleft palate.  I've seen videos where he is wearing a piece to hold his violin against to keep it off of his chin.

https://www.newsobserver.com/entertainment/article218408195.html

• Like 1

Most would consider this a cover . . . in point of fact, Daryl Hall actually wrote the tune, but Paul Young made it a monster hit.  Still, I'm calling it a cover because Elle King sings the daylights out of it.  I really like her, she is a unique and extraordinarily talented modern pop artist.  Make sure you listen to the track from 7:00 on, or you'll miss her real fireworks.  (As an aside, I think Brian Dunne is a criminally underrated drummer.  He has a massive pocket to his playing, WAY on the back side of 2 and 4 when he feels it.  He's gotta be one of the easiest drummers in the world to play with.)

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guitarist for my dad's old band (The Children), Kenny Cordray with some pals of his.  He left the planet a few years ago and left a huge hole right through the middle of me.

The man knew his way around a guitar.

I like what he did with the slide on this and thought some of y'all might enjoy...

I don't know Kirk, but I dig his style too.  Smooth.

Edited by Cajun

Yeah, I never met any of those dudes, but Kenny always had all these Houston area musician studs on speed dial.

When some joint would call and ask him if he could play on short notice watching him work the phone was like watching a Waco Baptist soccer mom organize who's bringing what casserole to the funeral reception.

I looked up Kirk McKim and came across his LinkedIn.  Part of the write-up-

Born in 1965 in Pasadena, Kirk McKim began playing guitar at age 14 during the height of the 70`s hard rock guitar era. 

In the early 90`s , Kirk moved back to texas and began to play steadily around the houston and southeast texas region. It was there he met Mark May (Dickie Betts and Great Southern) and played 2nd guitar in his band. They toured with the ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND in the summer of 1997-98.
In 1998, Kirk felt he needed a change. It was at this time he got a call from nashville to come work with some upstart acts. He played radio tours with Julie Reeves (virgin nashville, CMA nominated artist) and Redmon Vale (dreamworks nashville).

In the early 2000`s, Kirk moved to LA and worked with Ken Karman and Rick Garcia. Top composers and music editors in Hollywood. In 2005, Kirk got a call from Pat Travers, whom he had met at a gig in florida. He made the jump and joined the band.  He has recorded 2 records with the PAT TRAVERS BAND, “stick with what you know” live in 2006 and “fidelis” on alexus records in 2008. He continues to maintain a never ending touring schedule with the PTB and has just finished recording a new record with Pat titled "Can Do" to be released in May 2013.

Also says he'll be touring with Sammy Hagar in 2020.  Not sure what that means - if it's his band opening up or he's playing backup for Grampy Hagar.  

Interesting stuff though.

There sure are a shitload of high powered musicians in the Houston area, I'll say that.

Edited by Cajun

I was always fond of this cover and it's appearance in the movie itself. Several years ago I broke out The Crow soundtrack and realized I hadn't listened to Dead Souls in nearly a decade.

Which leads to a cover I never in a million years expected and ironically enough was the song the rock and roll hall of fame had chosen for Johnny's exhibit. The video makes it powerful and was completed when Johnny was on the verge of death and nearly didn't happen. Trent listened to the cover and didn't give it a ringing endorsement until he saw the video which changed his perspective entirely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is certainly "good", not "bad", not "great" . . . but I admire the effort.  Harry Styles' vocals are pretty credible, and the backing vocals are terrific, as is the flute patch on the synth.  The drummer has a nice groove, but she's not quite up to the record.  Bass player is doing well, but jeez, trying to cover Tony Levin without a fretless bass would be a nightmare (or just regardless).  Guitarist is "eh".  My main complaint is the horrible synthesized horns, but it would be kinda hard to bring a full horn section into Howard Sterns' studio.

Grade:  A- for effort