Covers Good and Bad

RollLeft

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 12:45 PM, Ths71 said:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was just getting ready to post this.  Though for me it falls into the I don't know exactly how I feel about it category.  The first three minutes or so are awesome but then it kind of stalls out.  It does give you a taste of what Prince was capable of doing it just all depends on whether he felt like doing it.

She's never had a lesson and can't read sheet music.  She does come from a musical family.  She learned drums by sitting in the lap of the drummer in her dads band.  I love how loose she is when she plays but how accurate her timing is.  It's like playing drums is a game to her.  A game that she is exceptional at.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

...is fucking horrible.

Prince may be the most overrated musician of our generation, and he’s quickly becoming the most overrated guitarist. 

I don’t agree.

He’s not an all world guitar player by any stretch and I do think he gets more credit than he should because he is actually better than people would think Prince would be.

But that cover had a good groove. Which is what they do. And I think they do it really well.

But you know, that’s just like my opinion man.

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

He’s not an all world guitar player by any stretch and I do think he gets more credit than he should because he is actually better than people would think Prince would be.

Right.  That’s basically where I am.  He’s a better player than most of us assumed, but he’s not world class. Prince is a good example of overrating the underrated.  

And everything else in your post falls within the “agree to disagree on subjective taste” realm. Which is fine. 

I use that "Dreams I'll Never See" cover to help audition new audio equipment.  It has tons of clarity and just sounds fantastic.

CSB:  I was editor of our HS newspaper my junior and senior years, and a buddy and I printed "press passes" to see if we could get into a local rock show at the university (minor Kansas City hitmakers Shooting Star).  To our surprise, those passes worked, and we got to interview the band before the show.  We ended up getting on their good side, and they'd call to let us know when they'd be coming through our small town, etc.

One day my buddy gets a call and their guitarist says "hey, we're opening up for Molly Hatchet at the big arena in St. Louis, want some tix and backstage passes for the show?"  

Oh yell yes!  We were probably 17 at the time.  Drove up, got our goods at will call, saw the show, and headed backstage.  Holy shit.  I'll just say a Molly Hatchet backstage scene was everything you might expect ~ 1980.  I grew up about 4 years that night.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I use that "Dreams I'll Never See" cover to help audition new audio equipment.  It has tons of clarity and just sounds fantastic.

CSB:  I was editor of our HS newspaper my junior and senior years, and a buddy and I printed "press passes" to see if we could get into a local rock show at the university (minor Kansas City hitmakers Shooting Star).  To our surprise, those passes worked, and we got to interview the band before the show.  We ended up getting on their good side, and they'd call to let us know when they'd be coming through our small town, etc.

One day my buddy gets a call and their guitarist says "hey, we're opening up for Molly Hatchet at the big arena in St. Louis, want some tix and backstage passes for the show?"  

Oh yell yes!  We were probably 17 at the time.  Drove up, got our goods at will call, saw the show, and headed backstage.  Holy shit.  I'll just say a Molly Hatchet backstage scene was everything you might expect ~ 1980.  I grew up about 4 years that night.

giphy.gif