Covers Good and Bad

RollLeft

On 6/1/2020 at 5:52 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I use that "Dreams I'll Never See" cover to help audition new audio equipment.  It has tons of clarity and just sounds fantastic.

CSB:  I was editor of our HS newspaper my junior and senior years, and a buddy and I printed "press passes" to see if we could get into a local rock show at the university (minor Kansas City hitmakers Shooting Star).  To our surprise, those passes worked, and we got to interview the band before the show.  We ended up getting on their good side, and they'd call to let us know when they'd be coming through our small town, etc.

One day my buddy gets a call and their guitarist says "hey, we're opening up for Molly Hatchet at the big arena in St. Louis, want some tix and backstage passes for the show?"  

Oh yell yes!  We were probably 17 at the time.  Drove up, got our goods at will call, saw the show, and headed backstage.  Holy shit.  I'll just say a Molly Hatchet backstage scene was everything you might expect ~ 1980.  I grew up about 4 years that night.

Molly Hatchet was literally the first band I ever saw live. They opened for AC/DC in Lubbock in 1979...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<--- Big fan of covers done in completely different style from the original. Especially metal versions of pop songs and vice versa. A couple of YouTubers I follow...

eerock331 - Make sure you get to the solo starting around 2:00 and the tapping starting around 3:15.

Leo Moracchioli -

• Hook 'Em 1

Bill Mack died today at the age of 88. He was one of the greatest country DJs of all time. Many a trucker has driven many a mile late at night listening to Bill on WBAP-AM, a 50,-000 watt clear-channel station that could be heard around the nation. Bill was not only a DJ but a great singer and songwriter in his own right. He wrote the Grammy award winning "Blue"  that launched the career of LeAnn Rimes and "Drinking Champagne,"  which George Strait had a smash hit with.  Here's Willie Nelson singing Drinking Champagne.

Heh . . . Miles Davis, playing just a bit sharp.  That never happens.  Man, he had taste, though.

This isn't a cover, but I don't care, if you have the time, rewind to the beginning of the clip to see Johnny Carson become infatuated with Cyndi, and then she simply destroys "Time After Time".  I watched this when it originally aired, and I remember being completely gobsmacked, how this almost cartoonish singer came back and just delivered a knockout punch on a gorgeous ballad.  Cyndi is one for the ages.

https://youtu.be/t-yis9av6xc?t=631

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I did not get the greatness of cyndi lauper until much later in life.

Greatness is an interesting word choice. I love Time After Time, it's a staple 80s classic and one of my favorite from that era. Outside of that I'm not really sure what she contributed could be considered "greatness". Her music as a whole ages pretty poorly imo. 

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

She’s pretty accomplished outside of pop music. Believe she’s won Grammys, Emmys, and Tonys.

2 Grammys, 1 Emmy, 1 Tony.

I mean that's neat - doesn't really move the needle for me. None of those awards are particularly difficult to win if you're a household name. 

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Greatness is an interesting word choice. I love Time After Time, it's a staple 80s classic and one of my favorite from that era. Outside of that I'm not really sure what she contributed could be considered "greatness". Her music as a whole ages pretty poorly imo. 

Her debut album is fantastic, as is her second release.  "True Colors" is as good as "Time After Time".

There are millions of artists who would happily suffer the ignominy of a track record consisting of "only" a half dozen hits, all of them Top 5 and two of them #1 singles.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 Grammys, 1 Emmy, 1 Tony.
I mean that's neat - doesn't really move the needle for me. None of those awards are particularly difficult to win if you're a household name. 

Idk man I’d say that’s pretty accomplished. But maybe that’s just me.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Her debut album is fantastic, as is her second release.  "True Colors" is as good as "Time After Time".

Eh. I guess you're more fond of them than I am.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Idk man I’d say that’s pretty accomplished. But maybe that’s just me.

Of course she's accomplished. She has two number one hits and another three top five. You don't need an Emmy and Tony for validation when you have that on your resume. I just don't consider what she's done "greatness" from a musical perspective.