Covers Good and Bad

RollLeft

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 6:02 PM, DougO said:

Austinites might remember Gordie Johnson of Grady. A friend on another board posted this one from his older Canadian band Big Sugar.

That is fucking exquisite. It reminds me of being a kid again. This version is thick enough to make me feel like a fat kid.

CHIEF

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not sure if serious.  I don't know the original, so it's hard to judge.  Sounds like jazz to me.

I had to look up the Aphex Twin track, which is far faster and obviously a drum machine, so what was the question?

You pointed out a crappy drummer, I thought I'd point out a great one- no smartassness or irony intended.  It's a great jazz cover of an ambient classic.

Since the passing of Larry Flynt I got to thinking about the movie, then of Courtney Love, then of Curt Cobain, and how I was never a fan of Nirvana’s music. But the Charlie Hunter Trio did a good jazz rendition of Come As You Are back in 1995. It was Charlie’s second album and I don’t doubt that he chose to cover the song for commercial reasons, to gain exposure and reach a wider audience. But it’s a good cover.

If you’re not familiar with Charlie, he plays an 8-string guitar that has 3 bass strings and he plays both bass and lead at the same time. So as you listen to the guitar player, remember that he’s also playing bass. He’s a very talented dude.

I absolutely love Gerry Rafferty.  I love that song.  I dig Lucius.  I'd definitely say it's a "good" cover . . .

. . . but they need to stop singing in unison.  They aren't accurate enough to truly gel.  Their harmonies are great, the choruses soar, but those verses have some hair-raising moments.

/snob

• Hook 'Em 1

I absolutely love Gerry Rafferty.  I love that song.  I dig Lucius.  I'd definitely say it's a "good" cover . . .
. . . but they need to stop singing in unison.  They aren't accurate enough to truly gel.  Their harmonies are great, the choruses soar, but those verses have some hair-raising moments.
/snob

It almost sounded to me like they were using something to purposely alter it a bit it the verses.

The harmonies are great though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

/snob

I didn't really catch that, but now that I listen again, I get it.

I just know that when I'm out on the boat, rocking back and forth while staring up at the clouds on a hot CENTEX afternoon this is the kinda stuff that puts me into "drool phase".

tip of the cap to Jordan Belfort

Holy crap, Brian Setzer sitting in with Dickey Betts in 1984 and just blazing on a Schecter Tele.  I'm calling it a "cover" because the band isn't Brian's (and I didn't know where else to put it).  Dickey sounds fantastic too.  Scroll back for an Allman Bros original:

• Like 2

I don't think there's one good thing I can say about Billy Sheehan, other than he has good technique.  His tone sucks, his artistic choices suck, his politics suck, and he's a giant asshole.

That said, I love Kotzen and Portnoy.  Winery Dogs is a real good band.

• Hook 'Em 1