Covers Good and Bad

RollLeft

And I'm gonna drop this one in here if for no other reason (and there's some other reason) than EVH playing the synthesizer track on guitar flawlessly.  F'n nuts.  I think The Who had it on recording.  Also love Anthony giving the nod to Pete w/the tribute mock windmill during the intro and he fuckin' killed it on bass here--

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Nice. Didn’t really jam, but then Brokedown Palace isn’t really a jam song. But I’d bet it sounds pretty much the same way every time this band plays it. And that’s fine. It’s great to see anyone else’s interpretation of a classic song. I enjoyed that.

I think the most significant thing is that the music of the Grateful Dead is being played by other artists and is going to be covered for decades. Particularly the works of Garcia and Hunter (as this one is). I have no doubt that, a hundred years from now, Brokedown will be in the public domain and still being performed. Same with Friend of the Devil and Sugaree and Candyman and a bunch of others. 

• Like 1

I'm glad you found that Petty cover by Britt & the boys.  All I was able to find were short segments on their FB page.  They also did "A Face In The Crowd" (linked below).

He does a great job of getting Petty's vocal vibe.  I never would have put the two together, but in hindsight it seems obvious.  Nasal, southern, wry.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2021 at 2:09 PM, davidg said:

Some songs are just bigger than a garage.  She does a good job on the verses and not so much on the chorus.  The rest of the band and their energy level is just asking for a kick in the ass.  Damnit! Have some energy people!!!!

My favorite live cover of Immigrant Song I ever saw was at Bonnaroo in 2008 by all-female tribute group Lez Zeppelin. Part of it was the crowd and the moment (opening night) for sure, but they opened with it and it fucking rocked. The singer belted it and she was super sexy (powerful women singers get a +5 boost for me anyway). They had clearly never played before a crowd that big before and were obviously blown away, which was cool to witness.

I couldn't find any good video of the 'Roo performance, and It loses quite a bit when it's played in a bar in Rhode Island, but here it is for posterity.

On 3/14/2021 at 1:09 PM, Cajun said:

And I'm gonna drop this one in here if for no other reason (and there's some other reason) than EVH playing the synthesizer track on guitar flawlessly.  F'n nuts.  I think The Who had it on recording.  Also love Anthony giving the nod to Pete w/the tribute mock windmill during the intro and he fuckin' killed it on bass here--

I agree here, but like the live version better.  You can change VH singers all you want, you lose MA and the band is dead, Jim.  RIP EVH .

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/24/2021 at 1:16 AM, RollLeft said:

Fanfuckingtastic...

Yes, pretty, pretty good....

During the guitar solo, around the 2:54 mark; it looks to me as if Page is mouthing the chords. I imagine him thinking to himself, “let’s see if this punk wanker can play it with some semblance of mediocrity so as to just not butcher it” 

Edited by NTVTXN
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NTVTXN said:

Yes, pretty, pretty good....

During the guitar solo, around the 2:54 mark; it looks to me as if Page is mouthing the chords. I imagine him thinking to himself, “let’s see if this punk wanker can play it with some semblance of mediocrity so as to just not butcher it” 

No shit.  Just slight pressure to tribute JP.  Craig Ross, who idolized SRV, I thought did a good job earlier in that tribute on a song that could go wrong in so many ways.  The bass lacked volume and the drummer didn't start well imo but Lenny and CR finished the second half strong. 

Edited by RollLeft

Some thoughts on those Led Zep tribute clips:

* Lenny Kravitz exited the womb cooler than anyone on Earth, and Craig Ross got to that level about a day after he himself was born

* The Wilson sisters are beyond reproach

* the "drummer who didn't start well" is Kenny Aronoff, and I have no idea what you are talking about, because he absolutely muscled the shit out of that tune top to bottom.  He's not Bonham, he plays in an entirely different way, but he is without question one of the 10 greatest rock drummers of all time.

* YoYo Ma is a fucking treasure.  Seeing what might be the greatest cellist in the world totally digging Led Zeppelin covers is lovely.  We need more YoYos in this world.  Massive talent, no snobbery.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Some thoughts on those Led Zep tribute clips:

* Lenny Kravitz exited the womb cooler than anyone on Earth, and Craig Ross got to that level about a day after he himself was born

* The Wilson sisters are beyond reproach

* the "drummer who didn't start well" is Kenny Aronoff, and I have no idea what you are talking about, because he absolutely muscled the shit out of that tune top to bottom.  He's not Bonham, he plays in an entirely different way, but he is without question one of the 10 greatest rock drummers of all time.

* YoYo Ma is a fucking treasure.  Seeing what might be the greatest cellist in the world totally digging Led Zeppelin covers is lovely.  We need more YoYos in this world.  Massive talent, no snobbery.

well what you call muscling i call limp wristing the hi hat for the first half of the song and playing his snare strikes to close to the snare.  If you're gonna tribute Bonham tribute Bonham.  Ala his son on the very next song, crisp, tight, heavy strikes and don't fucking rush.   Even "top ten" drummers miss sometimes.    

I wanted to hate this like i do nearly every other attempt since Candyflip.  What a pleasant surprise.  Never even heard of this girl.  Why is it that I have always loved this song only to hear the original and be reminded how much i dislike the intro to the original?  This is one of those songs that, imo, has the makings of one day falling second to a cover.   Not here, not today, but someday.

Edited by RollLeft

36 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

well what you call muscling i call limp wristing the hi hat for the first half of the song and playing his snare strikes to close to the snare.  If you're gonna tribute Bonham tribute Bonham.  Ala his son on the very next song, crisp, tight, heavy strikes and don't fucking rush.   Even "top ten" drummers miss sometimes.    

Well, we're obviously not going to agree on this, but Aronoff is a classic on-top-of-the-beat rock drummer.  I don't have any idea what you're referring to as "limp wristing", but Bonham had a massive heavy groove to his playing, and Aronoff is just by nature far more on top of the beat.  A tribute doesn't have to be a direct copy.  If I'm criticizing anyone in that band , it's the bass player -- that's where the heaviness disappeared.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, we're obviously not going to agree on this, but Aronoff is a classic on-top-of-the-beat rock drummer.  I don't have any idea what you're referring to as "limp wristing", but Bonham had a massive heavy groove to his playing, and Aronoff is just by nature far more on top of the beat.  A tribute doesn't have to be a direct copy.  If I'm criticizing anyone in that band , it's the bass player -- that's where the heaviness disappeared.

I re listened and you are more correct in your assessment of his overall performance than my recollection was.  I saw again where i got my point of view but its fair to say that i was overly critical of a few moments rather than considering his overall performance.  I walked away after my first listen thinking Lenny and CR shined so bright and the drummer let me down.  Overly critical indeed, but my first impression nonetheless.    

2 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I re listened and you are more correct in your assessment of his overall performance than my recollection was.  I saw again where i got my point of view but its fair to say that i was overly critical of a few moments rather than considering his overall performance.  I walked away after my first listen thinking Lenny and CR shined so bright and the drummer let me down.  Overly critical indeed, but my first impression nonetheless.    

To be fair, I wouldn't want to be a drummer playing Bonham's parts.  He's like Ringo -- iconic and super hard to imitate.

15 hours ago, RollLeft said:

No shit.  Just slight pressure to tribute JP.  Craig Ross, who idolized SRV, I thought did a good job earlier in that tribute on a song that could go wrong in so many ways.  The bass lacked volume and the drummer didn't start well imo but Lenny and CR finished the second half strong. 

Like @t-bone and you point out; this would be THE ESSENCE of PRESSURE. 
And please let me be clear; my commentary in NO way is meant as slandering to ANY musician anywhere.  I have great respect for anyone who can play more than a few notes on any instrument.  I love music and consider it a wonderful gift (even “crappy” music)- I’d never begrudge anyone for missing a note (hell it’s not like I could tell!) whilst playing someone else’s masterpiece with them being present. 

Further, all you Guys & Ladies who are on the site; contributing by Plato your music, both here and in your own communities- THANK YOU.  Not everyone will “like” it; but I’m positive they appreciate your talents.

On 3/24/2021 at 1:16 AM, RollLeft said:

Fanfuckingtastic...

So I was driving back from my monthly Costco trip (dammit, I’m so domesticated)/ Anyway, Sirius XM has transitioned channel 105 to a “guitar god” sort of channel.  Nancy Wilson is guest DJ’ing and she just told the story of how this came to be and what an honor it was. 

cliff notes 

- They were on tour across the country

- got the call to come play STH at Kennedy Ctr as a SURPRISE to all in attendance including POTUS, FL and LZ

- obviously, said “Hmm, Let us thi..HELL YES!”  Then hopped on a jet at a moment’s notice 

- had only ONE rehearsal

- went to dinner that night- ran into J Page at same restaurant, who asked them what they were doing there in town

-  Obviously had to LIE to JP 😬

- got to gig, nervous as hell/ Decided to get LASER focusednessed and played trying so hard not to F it up

- she Said they could NOT see POTUS/FL or LZ which probably helped nerves

- Finished and bounced.

- Said the “impact” of that moment came a few days/week or so later when they saw LZ again and they told her how they were all “blown away” by the participants performance and how honored that they were these people would drop what they’re doing to come play at their ceremony. 

- She said the entire band (Zep) were so sweet and so gracious, she’ll remember it forever.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...