High

nivek3

48 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Have you done that much at one time before? Isn't that a fuckload? 

Yes and no. Depends on ones tolerance and whatnot. Edibles hit different people in different ways. I shoot for 30mg per gummy. One and I'm cool, and I'll scarf down two about half an hour before heading to bed (along with a couple bowls.)

For an average person, 175mg would have them higher than moon pussy and curled up in a ball in the corner as they slowly rock themselves through it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Need some help.

Including 3 families we are going to oregon next week.

Mother in law is 78 and has a bad knee. She says it hurts a lot.

She is down with edibles or whatever doesn't involved smoking.

Ideas?

I have no idea what's commercially available out there, however for a beginner I would suggest looking for something like a bag of gummy bears that are 5mg or 10mg per bear (or whatever shape, but you get the idea) or even chocolate bites. Etc.

Have her eat 1, then wait 3 hours to see what happens. If not enough, eat two. If too much (like a 10mg) then eat a half one next round.

Then stock up. Her tolerance will build up, and before long she'll be eating 20mg or 30mg a pop. You may want to learn how to make them at home if they work well for her. Couple grams of wax/rosin/shatter and you'll end up with about 80 gummies in a batch (with the right molds.)

ETA: might also keep a bag of fun size snickers or similar around. A quick nibble with a gummy can aid in absorption.

Edited by thunderlounge
  • Like 1

This is Droopy. I am currently high and can’t remember my login. Howms-ever, what is up with kiwi fruit packaging? “Kiwi Kids”, what is that? There are 4 and two have spoons. Do you eat kiwi with spoons? I think kiwi are a worthless fruit and look like scrotoms. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Yes and no. Depends on ones tolerance and whatnot. Edibles hit different people in different ways. I shoot for 30mg per gummy. One and I'm cool, and I'll scarf down two about half an hour before heading to bed (along with a couple bowls.)

For an average person, 175mg would have them higher than moon pussy and curled up in a ball in the corner as they slowly rock themselves through it.

2 more 30 mg gummies before bed? I'm just getting into edibles but have a high tolerance from flower and oil, so I'm trying to figure out my sweet spot. 

Not a bad experiment to be doing this fucked up summer. 

2 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

2 more 30 mg gummies before bed? I'm just getting into edibles but have a high tolerance from flower and oil, so I'm trying to figure out my sweet spot. 

Not a bad experiment to be doing this fucked up summer. 

Edibles can be a fickle adventure. Even with a high flower tolerance, edibles hit you different. Always good to start small and wait. May take a few times to find your sweet spot. Better to shoot up towards your target than to blow by it and have to ride it out.

First time, try 10mg and see what happens. Wait 3 hours before eating more. Eat a little something (doesn’t have to be much) with it too. THC binds to fat, so a nibble of something helps. If you were eating infused chocolate, then that should do it. But with the limited fat in a gummy, I find it helps it kick in earlier and better than it does without. 

15 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Have you done that much at one time before? Isn't that a fuckload? 

14 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Haha. I’ve done that much before, or right around there. I still smoked 2 J’s and had a few dabs. I actually put together the final printed out paperwork to file by mail our taxes an hour or more after consumption. I was mostly coherent lol.

I still haven’t ever had so much THC in edible form that I’ve been overwhelmed. I know people here in CO that take 500mg-1000mg at once. Insane. I may try 200 this weekend.

9 hours ago, I Plead Da Fif said:

An unsuspecting joint tip or filter? A piece of pasta. Rolled up a fatty with a piece of penne as my tip. Working pretty damn well.

Did you cut it first? I'm envisioning it taking up the majority of the J so that's why I'm asking. Pretty ingenious, tho. I normally just rip off a small piece of the paper's box and roll it into a "C" and drop it in the tip and twist. Your way sounds a hell of a lot more stable. 

8 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Did you cut it first? I'm envisioning it taking up the majority of the J so that's why I'm asking. Pretty ingenious, tho. I normally just rip off a small piece of the paper's box and roll it into a "C" and drop it in the tip and twist. Your way sounds a hell of a lot more stable. 

I actually had about half an inch of the pasta sticking out or more. Basically worked as a joint tip with about a half inch wrapped under paper the other half not under paper.

• Like 1

pineapple.jpg.0bf12bf8bd7b26ed9d979d6ca7597656.jpg

Made some gummies last night. Pineapple ones, and they came out pretty tasty. Pic kinda sucks, but whatev. Used 4g total that was 3g of live rosin that I pressed fresh yesterday, with another gram of sweet, delicious bubble hash (73 & 90 micron) to round it out.

The big ones are 10ml in size, and about 45mg each (+/- 5mg). The smaller ones are 4ml in size, and about 18mg each (+/- 2mg). Total batch was 4mg-5mg/ml.

• Like 2

Flavor on point. Zero taste of “decarbed weed” or “toasted coconut”. Moving to rosin was a good thing. Decarb rosin, then melt it into a little butter with some lecithin, and boom.

The 10mg came out right where I wanted, as did the smaller ones.

Takes  about an hour and a half from start through clean up. Not bad. 35 minutes of that is warming up the oven to 230 and then decarbing the rosin. Makes for a good time to prep molds and get the rest in order.

Recipe comes out to around 600ml of syrupy goodness, and seems on point so far.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2020 at 10:45 AM, thunderlounge said:

pineapple.jpg.0bf12bf8bd7b26ed9d979d6ca7597656.jpg

Made some gummies last night. Pineapple ones, and they came out pretty tasty. Pic kinda sucks, but whatev. Used 4g total that was 3g of live rosin that I pressed fresh yesterday, with another gram of sweet, delicious bubble hash (73 & 90 micron) to round it out.

The big ones are 10ml in size, and about 45mg each (+/- 5mg). The smaller ones are 4ml in size, and about 18mg each (+/- 2mg). Total batch was 4mg-5mg/ml.

So counterintuitive considering the subject, but I too appreciate the maths and precision required to get the desired doses.  Your edible micron taste is more strict than many people’s smoke! haha

This past weekend I set a new personal “high score” of consuming about 250mg. Got this 1000 mg S’mores bar. So tasty. I was quite a bit more high than say taking 150, but I don’t know if it was any more enjoyable. I get way more quiet when I’m super high.

That said, I’ve found taking CBD toward the tail end of my edible high to be a game changer. The sleep is great, but honestly the body high gets really really strong. At the tail end of 250? Like a very strong opiate. Stronger than a few Vicodin. Now I know why it’s such an effective medicine for many people.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, I Plead Da Fif said:

So counterintuitive considering the subject, but I too appreciate the maths and precision required to get the desired doses.  Your edible micron taste is more strict than many people’s smoke! haha

This past weekend I set a new personal “high score” of consuming about 250mg. Got this 1000 mg S’mores bar. So tasty. I was quite a bit more high than say taking 150, but I don’t know if it was any more enjoyable. I get way more quiet when I’m super high.

That said, I’ve found taking CBD toward the tail end of my edible high to be a game changer. The sleep is great, but honestly the body high gets really really strong. At the tail end of 250? Like a very strong opiate. Stronger than a few Vicodin. Now I know why it’s such an effective medicine for many people.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily counter intuitive, but maybe.

For home crafted edibles it's difficult to get right on it, but you should be able to get close enough to have an idea of what you're consuming. It's not super hard math by any means. Whatever the thc percentage of the material, it's per gram. So if we have a gram of good flower that's 22%, we know there is about 220mg of thc in that gram. Same for wax, rosin, shatter, oil, hash, or whatever.

Take bubble hash for example. Good bubble hash should be right around 60%. So that gives us 600mg/g. Good rosin should be 70%-80%, outlier cases of a little higher aren't out of the question.

To get my range for potency, I first measured the amount of liquid each mold shape can hold. My biggest one (swirl top) holds 10ml, next biggest (bottle cap shape, not in the above pic) holds 8ml, and the sharks are 4ml. The old lifesaver shape/size molds hold 2.5ml.

Next, I knew how many I had of each shape from the batch (77 total: 25 sharks and 52 swirls), so could figure out the total volume from there. ((25x4)+(52x10) = 620)

Rosin should be 70%-80%, on occasion a goof could make it 60%. I seriously doubt mine is on the lower end of that range, but it's a good place to start. So for 4g of rosin, I should have a total of somewhere between 2400mg and 3200mg of thc in the mix.

From there, it was taking total mg of thc and dividing it by the number of ml of the mix:

@ 60% 2400/620 = 3.87mg/ml
@ 70% 2800/620 = 4.52mg/ml
@ 80% 3200/620 = 5.16mg/ml

Now all that is left is to figure out the amount per mold size by taking the total mg of thc per ml and multiply by the number of ml the mold holds.

4ml shark:
- 15.48mg (60%)
- 18.08mg (70%)
- 20.64mg (80%)

10ml swirls:
- 38.7mg (60%)
- 45.2mg (70%)
- 51.6mg (80%)

If I had used the same mix and filled the bottle cap mold, at 8ml capacity it would have come out like this:
- 30.96mg (60%)
- 36.16mg (70%)
- 41.28mg (80%)

That's about as accurate as you can get without knowing the exact percentage of what you started with. It gets you in the ball park, but that's about all. Enough to know you're within a certain range, and as long as it's not way whacked out (I have some molds for other stuff that are 100ml, 150ml, and 250ml) and you know your own range, you're good.

Now if you started out with 4g of rosin from a dispensary, then you know where you stand. You know it's exactly X%, since it's been tested. That gets you significantly closer than having to go by a range. You can get home test meters, but they're expensive and not so accurate. It might narrow the range by half or a hair more, but that's not enough for me to spring for a test meter that's a grand or better, and not super accurate to begin with.

I do find edibles and the process interesting overall though. You can do all kinds of shit. Pretty much anything you make you can add a special kick to. I tend to stick to gummies though. Mainly because I don't mind them, but I'm not going to go to chow town on them. Now a real nice chocolate or something? Yeah, I could see me getting peaked and munching out on more and more of those. Or brownies, or cookies, etc. I'll make a small batch of something like that now and then, but for the most part I stick to the gummy stuff. Better for everybody that way, and really why I've been on a potency hunt for the last few months. The less "candy" consumed to get me where I need to be, the better.

I think your perspective of being more high, but not any more enjoyable of a ride than a lesser dose is pretty accurate. I haven't really messed with CBD much on its own. I gave it a shot a couple years ago, but it didn't really help/do much for me on its own. I do have a pack of a high cbd strain (Cream & Cheese) that's 22% thc and 18% CBD that I'm going to run at some point before too long. Might be one of the back half of winter runs coming up, but we'll see. I've looked at a lot of other CBD strains, but a lot of the ones targeted for CBD end up with way too little thc for me. Like 0.5% or 1% thc, and 8%-15% cbd, etc. I'm not going to burn a spot in a grow for something like that. It might be good for a salet, but if I want to find out I'll get something like that from a dispensary.

I am kind of excited to see what that cream & cheese does though. From digging into it a bit, I bet it would mix great with the blue cheese I'm just dropping now.

Strain genetics is another fascinating aspect for me. So many different ways to go about it, all with different outcomes. I think it would be fun to make my own seeds, but we're back to not wasting the few spots I have to grow to do something like that. Maybe I could do a partial reversal on a branch or two with the single plant in the 3x3. Wouldn't be great if I'm wanting to cross strains for something new, but for more of the same it would work. At least they would be feminized seeds, so there's that.

20 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

I wouldn't say it's necessarily counter intuitive, but maybe.

For home crafted edibles it's difficult to get right on it, but you should be able to get close enough to have an idea of what you're consuming. It's not super hard math by any means. Whatever the thc percentage of the material, it's per gram. So if we have a gram of good flower that's 22%, we know there is about 220mg of thc in that gram. Same for wax, rosin, shatter, oil, hash, or whatever.

Take bubble hash for example. Good bubble hash should be right around 60%. So that gives us 600mg/g. Good rosin should be 70%-80%, outlier cases of a little higher aren't out of the question.

To get my range for potency, I first measured the amount of liquid each mold shape can hold. My biggest one (swirl top) holds 10ml, next biggest (bottle cap shape, not in the above pic) holds 8ml, and the sharks are 4ml. The old lifesaver shape/size molds hold 2.5ml.

Next, I knew how many I had of each shape from the batch (77 total: 25 sharks and 52 swirls), so could figure out the total volume from there. ((25x4)+(52x10) = 620)

Rosin should be 70%-80%, on occasion a goof could make it 60%. I seriously doubt mine is on the lower end of that range, but it's a good place to start. So for 4g of rosin, I should have a total of somewhere between 2400mg and 3200mg of thc in the mix.

From there, it was taking total mg of thc and dividing it by the number of ml of the mix:

@ 60% 2400/620 = 3.87mg/ml
@ 70% 2800/620 = 4.52mg/ml
@ 80% 3200/620 = 5.16mg/ml

Now all that is left is to figure out the amount per mold size by taking the total mg of thc per ml and multiply by the number of ml the mold holds.

4ml shark:
- 15.48mg (60%)
- 18.08mg (70%)
- 20.64mg (80%)

10ml swirls:
- 38.7mg (60%)
- 45.2mg (70%)
- 51.6mg (80%)

If I had used the same mix and filled the bottle cap mold, at 8ml capacity it would have come out like this:
- 30.96mg (60%)
- 36.16mg (70%)
- 41.28mg (80%)

That's about as accurate as you can get without knowing the exact percentage of what you started with. It gets you in the ball park, but that's about all. Enough to know you're within a certain range, and as long as it's not way whacked out (I have some molds for other stuff that are 100ml, 150ml, and 250ml) and you know your own range, you're good.

Now if you started out with 4g of rosin from a dispensary, then you know where you stand. You know it's exactly X%, since it's been tested. That gets you significantly closer than having to go by a range. You can get home test meters, but they're expensive and not so accurate. It might narrow the range by half or a hair more, but that's not enough for me to spring for a test meter that's a grand or better, and not super accurate to begin with.

I do find edibles and the process interesting overall though. You can do all kinds of shit. Pretty much anything you make you can add a special kick to. I tend to stick to gummies though. Mainly because I don't mind them, but I'm not going to go to chow town on them. Now a real nice chocolate or something? Yeah, I could see me getting peaked and munching out on more and more of those. Or brownies, or cookies, etc. I'll make a small batch of something like that now and then, but for the most part I stick to the gummy stuff. Better for everybody that way, and really why I've been on a potency hunt for the last few months. The less "candy" consumed to get me where I need to be, the better.

I think your perspective of being more high, but not any more enjoyable of a ride than a lesser dose is pretty accurate. I haven't really messed with CBD much on its own. I gave it a shot a couple years ago, but it didn't really help/do much for me on its own. I do have a pack of a high cbd strain (Cream & Cheese) that's 22% thc and 18% CBD that I'm going to run at some point before too long. Might be one of the back half of winter runs coming up, but we'll see. I've looked at a lot of other CBD strains, but a lot of the ones targeted for CBD end up with way too little thc for me. Like 0.5% or 1% thc, and 8%-15% cbd, etc. I'm not going to burn a spot in a grow for something like that. It might be good for a salet, but if I want to find out I'll get something like that from a dispensary.

I am kind of excited to see what that cream & cheese does though. From digging into it a bit, I bet it would mix great with the blue cheese I'm just dropping now.

Strain genetics is another fascinating aspect for me. So many different ways to go about it, all with different outcomes. I think it would be fun to make my own seeds, but we're back to not wasting the few spots I have to grow to do something like that. Maybe I could do a partial reversal on a branch or two with the single plant in the 3x3. Wouldn't be great if I'm wanting to cross strains for something new, but for more of the same it would work. At least they would be feminized seeds, so there's that.

The counter intuitive comment was really born out of an outsider looking in saying “aren’t you just trying to get high? I don’t think I could even do those maths!” As an engineer, the precision and accuracy being an important aspect of a plant and hobby that I love I think is really cool and probably yet another reason why I love it without consciously thinking about it.

Regarding the CBD, what I’ve found is if I’m 3-4 hours into a sizable edible dose (>= 100mg), and I take what I now consider a booster 20mgTHC/20mgCBD gummy or 2, the high definitely changes a bit and gets reinvigorated with the CBD in the form of a very very nice body high. I don’t do this at the beginning because I don’t want to go to sleep and I only really do this when I’m taking edibles at night, but it is really nice. They say CBD is much more effective in concert with THC and I believe it, because if I take THC free CBD on its own, I get anti anxiety properties, but not a ton of pain killing at the doses I take. This is almost like the age old trick to drink orange juice toward the tail end of your trip, but works even better toward the body high end.

I agree using up valuable plant space on something that doesn’t get you that high is hard to swallow. CBD can be fairly inexpensive these days if you went for a pure powder and somehow returned it to oil form. I don’t know specifics, but I think quite a few concentrate companies in CO do this in what they call a sap (combine a strain’s extract and the CBD extract from hemp)

20200722-164141.jpg

Rainmaker- really smooth and strong hints of spice. Gives a really nice creep up and sends tingles.

20200722-164235.jpg

Pink cookies- supposedly the same as wedding cake. I say supposedly because it doesn't look the same as what I've seen but tastes and hits pretty similar. Super sweet and hits rough.

High

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

20200722-164141.jpg

Rainmaker- really smooth and strong hints of spice. Gives a really nice creep up and sends tingles.

20200722-164235.jpg

Pink cookies- supposedly the same as wedding cake. I say supposedly because it doesn't look the same as what I've seen but tastes and hits pretty similar. Super sweet and hits rough.

High

I think Wedding Cake may be a specific pheno of Pink Cookies. Dude probably has some beans from a different pheno.

Mind me asking how much you smoke a day? Always curious to hear. 

Some of you guys are doing the lawd's work with your edibles.  But you may be discouraging some folks who just want to turn some of their flower into chocolate or could get to the promised land making fire crackers or the like.  Nestle Tollhouse morsels, some decarbed bud, a double boiler and mold can go a long way.  So does AVB, nutella or peanut butter and a couple of Ritz crackers.  Not lab grade (or even strained), but definitely tasty, shelf stable, and successful in the Samual Jackson Boston Lager philosophy or getting you there for 6 hours or so.  Or so I'm told.

Edited by dcbc

12 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I run through a couple of grams a day, maybe 4 or so. If I'm not doing shit and can use my volcano, then it's less. Using my one hitter I'm actually using more. Needless to say I stay high and have been smoking for a long time. 

Right on. Same here. 15 years smokin or so. I’m not in an individual contributor role, so I don’t get to work from home stoned, but I probably still smoke 2-4 J’s at night. On the weekends though I’m probably burning 4-8 J’s a day. A half ounce in a weekend is not that hard for me to smoke lol.

Edited by I Plead Da Fif
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Some of you guys are doing the lawd's work with your edibles.  But you may be discouraging some folks who just want to turn some of their flower into chocolate or could get to the promised land making fire crackers or the like.  Nestle Tollhouse morsels, some decarbed bud, a double boiler and mold can go a long way.  So does AVB, nutella or peanut butter and a couple of Ritz crackers.  Not lab grade (or even strained), but definitely tasty, shelf stable, and successful in the Samual Jackson Boston Lager philosophy or getting you there for 6 hours or so.  Or so I'm told.

Can you point me in this direction for research?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/13/2020 at 9:42 AM, thunderlounge said:

Plus rinsing enough for 4 of the 3.5gal buckets is a lot. Thought I might try and reuse it as much as possible, but fuck that. Rinsing that shit is even worse when you gotta get the root shit out of it and then sterilize.  

I've felt this pain, but with hydroton instead of perlite.  To save myself the effort of rinsing & sterilizing, I put an old washing machine cylinder on a propane crab cooker.  I'd typically process 15 gallons of dried out root wads in 20 minutes or so on full flame, stirring a few times until the roots were all ash.   Rinse the ashes away, and the recycled hydroton is sterilized and ready to use.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, OregonHorn said:

I've felt this pain, but with hydroton instead of perlite.  To save myself the effort of rinsing & sterilizing, I put an old washing machine cylinder on a propane crab cooker.  I'd typically process 15 gallons of dried out root wads in 20 minutes or so on full flame, stirring a few times until the roots were all ash.   Rinse the ashes away, and the recycled hydroton is sterilized and ready to use.

Fuckin a that’s a good idea. 

Had a suggestion to move to hydroton, then soak it in some adv. nutrients stuff that’s supposed to break it down. 

Might have to think on this one while this run does it’s thing. Gives me a couple months to figure it out and acquire supplies if needed. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Fuckin a that’s a good idea. 

Had a suggestion to move to hydroton, then soak it in some adv. nutrients stuff that’s supposed to break it down. 

Might have to think on this one while this run does it’s thing. Gives me a couple months to figure it out and acquire supplies if needed. 

I got the idea from a greenhouse grower of cut flowers.  He'd toss all of his root wads in a front loader, dump them in a hopper that dispensed them onto to a conveyor that passed through a propane furnace.  Result was low effort cleaning & sterilization, plus CO2 exhaust for the greenhouses.   Can't beat that.

What's the AN product?  I haven't heard of that, but I'm not an AN fan.  Does it break it down to increase surface area?  I'm still using 15 year old intact hydroton.

1 hour ago, OregonHorn said:

What's the AN product?  I haven't heard of that, but I'm not an AN fan.  Does it break it down to increase surface area?  I'm still using 15 year old intact hydroton.

I would have to check with him again. One of their enzymatic cleaners most likely. Pretty much it breaks down the rootball and cleans up the hydroton. Soak it, then rinse it clean. Once he mentioned the process I kind of brain dumped which one it was.