Question about the police tracking us via "law enforcement database"

Horn Under a Bad Sign

I read this story in the Austin Statesman.  Here is my question:  what kind of "law enforcement database"  would show a private citizen to "have been traveling in Texas within the same period."    Are we/me being monitored by the police all the time as we travel about?

A man and woman each face a charge of money laundering after a sheriff’s deputy found $50,000 in cash hidden in an SUV, according to an arrest affidavit.

Cecilia Solis and Juan Cortez were traveling in a Chevrolet Equinox on Interstate 35 in Georgetown on Aug. 2 when a Williamson County sheriff’s deputy pulled them over for failing to signal when changing lanes, the affidavit says.

The deputy told Cortez he would only receive a warning for the traffic offense. But when Cortez and the deputy struck up a conversation, the affidavit says, Cortez became suspicious on whether he was telling the truth about his road trip.

Cortez had told the deputy he was traveling from Franklin Mouth, Missouri, to his hometown, La Villa, the affidavit says. Though Cortez said he and Solis stayed at a waterpark in Franklin Mouth for seven days, a law enforcement database showed him traveling in Texas within that same period, according to the affidavit.

When the deputy questioned Cortez about the discrepancy, the affidavit says Cortez became nervous and had trouble answering additional questions. The deputy also noted Cortez’s story seemed “fictitious.”

The deputy requested to search the vehicle, and with assistance from another deputy, the affidavit says they found marijuana residue on the floorboard.

Further inspection led to the deputies opening a plastic panel and finding $55,000 in cash bundled in rubber bands, the affidavit says.

Both Cortez and Soliz later confessed to transporting the money from Michigan to Texas and getting paid $1,000 for the trip, according to the affidavit.

If found guilty, the two could each face up to 10 years in prison.

https://www.statesman.com/news/local/affidavit-man-woman-arrested-after-deputies-find-000-hidden-vehicle/Fi9t9RlZmpoU0a392vhMML/

22 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

So there are cameras somewhere that record the license plate of every single car that goes by ----- and these cameras are immediately accessible to a cop in his cop car?

Well, the location of the camera is known. Time is known. Doesn't seem too terribly difficult to me to have all of that info being fed to storage and readily available to an inquiry for a tag #.

28 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

So there are cameras somewhere that record the license plate of every single car that goes by ----- and these cameras are immediately accessible to a cop in his cop car?

Not just cops.  I can access that information through a service.  Don't forget about toll tag readers as well as the cars that drive around with readers on them.  I had a hit from a plate I was looking for that was in a parking lot of a strip center. 

• Like 1

Sure they were money mules, but this seems like it should be more a story about the cops trolling for civil forfeiture victims.  Cops had to have profiled a brown person and used  the old 'changed lanes without a signal' to pull him over and start grilling him. 

The deputy told Cortez he would only receive a warning for the traffic offense. But when Cortez and the deputy struck up a conversation

that quote has to be in a handbook they give to cops as to what to say when they keep interrogating someone after a traffic stop.  I am sure Cortez really wanted to shoot the shit with Johnny Law with 50K in the dashboard.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

they're mounted on the cars. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/04/how-license-plate-readers-have-helped-police-and-lenders-target-the-poor/479436/

The website of a leading license-plate reader system claims its cameras can capture up to 1,800 license plates a minute during day or night, across four lanes of traffic and at speeds up to 150 miles per hour, alerting officers “within milliseconds” if a plate is suspect.

On 8/8/2018 at 1:34 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

They have them in Austin. Or did. Bunch of cop cars with a ton of cameras on them.   Stolen cars and amber alerts and themlike were the justification. 

obviously you have never met deputy  the Marijuana Residue fairy.  goes around sprinkling crime scenes with justice powder.

I mean fuck, they technically busted a law breaker and put a microscopic dent in the drug trade.  You can't blame them because MJ is not legal cash crop.  But not mentioned are the other 95% that get pulled over for 'looking like a drug mule'  and the cops sniffing for civil forfeiture.