World Nomad Games

Stoogey

"The Central Asian Olympics." Opening ceremonies September 2, 2018, 8:00PM. Closing ceremonies September 8, 8:00PM. Kyrgyz Republic.

This year there will be children's events.  

WNtpqGjS_o.jpg

Competitions for the ladies: archery, archery on horseback, dancing

cJxRMHcy_o.jpg

and synchronized dancing on horseback. 

XJtfA8w8_o.jpg

Also a fashion show and best yurt / tent contest. New this year is the World Nomad Cuisine so let's get cooking, girls!

For us guys, looks pretty much like the same old same old. About seven different kinds of archery (four on horseback), about seven different kinds of wrestling (two on horseback), throwing wooden javelins at each other on horseback, horse racing, hound racing. 

Then there are the more obscure sports:

xLaYjUMD_o.png 

burkut saluu (hunting with eagles on horseback),

xwBpiHXW_o.jpg

setting a guy on fire and chasing him (I don't know the nomad word for this event),

dERghfO8_o.jpg

kok-boru (kind of like polo except with a decapitated goat carcass),

manonfire.gif

and oert jalymdagan chabandes (burning nomads on horseback - racers get their the fire extinguished in the order they cross the finish line.)

r176Wd27_o.png

They even put it on a postage stamp.

The USA contingent has only won two silver and two bronze medals. Let's step it up, America!

• Like 1

For us guys, looks pretty much like the same old same old. About seven different kinds of archery (four on horseback), about seven different kinds of wrestling (two on horseback), throwing wooden javelins at each other on horseback, horse racing, hound racing,

and getting set on fire and chased to death after looking at one of the women. 

fifAttila.

Hahaha. I work in Kazakhstan and these guys take this sort of shit very seriously. In March I was out there for the annual new year celebration, Nauryz. They had a best yurt contest and you could go from yurt to yurt and experience hospitality such as camels milk, horse sausage, fermented horse milk, and traditional music and dance. 

Really it was quite fun. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

No buzkashi?  No mare milking?

What kinds fake-ass Nomad Games are you running, chief?  HUH?  

Didn't watch the video, did ya, pal?  Yes. There is mare milking. A non-competitive women's activity in the yurt village.

Going off half-cocked as usual. Buzkashi (decapitated goat polo) is the Afghani word for kok-buru (picture after the burning man running).

1 hour ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Hahaha. I work in Kazakhstan and these guys take this sort of shit very seriously. In March I was out there for the annual new year celebration, Nauryz. They had a best yurt contest and you could go from yurt to yurt and experience hospitality such as camels milk, horse sausage, fermented horse milk, and traditional music and dance. 

Really it was quite fun. 

That thing where they ski around and shoot rifles at targets in the Olympics?  Shoot at each other.  Mongolian up, bro.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Really it was quite fun. 

Kyrgyz Republic laughs at silly games of Kazakh peoples.

"Krygyztan - It's like Switzerland, with horses!"

Message brought to you by the Kyrgyztan Board of Tourism.

20 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Really it was quite fun. 

While it was from a camel, that wasn’t milk. 

3 hours ago, Stoogey said:

Celebrity spokesmodel for the games was international star of stage and screen Mr Steven Seagal.

Eu7Zkf9j_o.jpg

"If Genghis Khan was alive, he'd be here with us."

Dude, we know you've gone bald and your misshapen mangina has gone gray. You ain't foolin' no one. 

Yes. There is betting on kok boru (decapitated goat polo). The problem is the places I found are overseas and blocked so you'd need an international proxy IP. And then there are issues with using a credit card on the internet overseas.

Some of the bookies have already posted lines on the 2020 presidential elections. Trump is the front runner. Minnesota Rep. Keith Ellison is definitely a dark horse.

MgxCgyNd_o.jpg

Whatever you do, don't bet on the USA. We suck at kok boru.

19 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

That said this hipster clown above with a horse fettish isn't fooling anyone.

You have no idea how correct you are. The American team certainly didn't fool the nomads. 

A bunch of American amateurs in the Nomad Games’ kok-boru event is akin to Kyrgyzstan sending a team over to play football in the Super Bowl. 

-  A Kyrgyzstani's observation per The Washington Post, September 14, 2016.

The article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/09/14/first-ever-u-s-team-plays-rugby-on-horses-with-a-decapitated-goat-at-world-nomad-games/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.602f0ce76d95

The video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVKnYB8bf4I

I would give a member of the American team credit for driving a Nomad.

nthVYEx0_o.jpg

How many days until PETA charters a jet to the games?

23 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Okay this had been a very amusing thread.

Only on Surly are you going to see someone respond with, "I work in Kazakhstan." and have zero reponses question that reality.

I'm down for some of the leg archery and who doesn't love the burning zombie chase.

That said this hipster clown above with a horse fettish isn't fooling anyone.

Why is working in Kazakhstan questionable?  It has a very big oil and gas industry and there are a few of us that work in said industry.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Yessir. I am working over there on a 28/28 rotational gig. It’s pretty legit, I haven’t been back to the states since May. This time off I’ll  be one week in Europe then three weeks in Australia / New Zealand. 

New Zealand can be cold AF this time of year depending on which part you are going to.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

You must know a lot of Chinese people

https://en.tengrinews.kz/markets/China-leads-by-number-of-foreign-workers-in-Kazakhstan-258997/

And defensive, not at all, you're the one who came in wanting to start an argument in regards to a simple observation I made that someone stating, I work in Kazakhstan is odd and unexpected.

It is, statistically speaking.

That is a fact. 

You knowning lots of Chinese workers in Kazakhstan is too.

Turning a funny thread into a fucking debate about the number of US workers in a relatively obsure country. Surly gonna Surly. 

None of them are Chinese and you are the one arguing.  For fucks sake who said anything about worker nationality?  Oh yeah... you.

Fuck off.