Dallas | Chinese

Landomatic

Highly highly highly recommend Gung Ho on Greenville.  I thought Chinese food had pretty much leveled off in terms of quality and creativity.  But either I've been eating some very marginal Chinese food all my life or this is whole other level shit.

Ordered a nice combination of some traditional classics that were far better than any I'd ever had (i.e crab wonton, fried rice, etc) and a couple more exotic things that were more like nothing I'd ever had before.  Wish I could remember everything we tried and wish I'd thought to take pictures, but honestly my mind may have been so blown that I didn't even realize what was happening until we were almost done. 

Can't say enough good things about it.  Food was great, service was equally as great (waitress was a super cool hipster chick who was the perfect combination of takes a ton of pride in her work and doesn't give a fuck), and space was a great combination of not too casual and not fancy and definitely not schticky Chinese decor.  Top to bottom one of the best dining experiences we've had in a while.

Have heard similar things about Fine China at the Statler so I'd like to give that a shot too.

When I went to GungHo, I expected it to be overrated but I was pleasantly surprised.  It's definitely not authentic.... more americanized dishes but they are done well.  When I have guests visit, I usually take them there for dinner as it's a fun environment.  I believe the owners are the same ones that used to own Victor Tangos.  I couldn't stop eating the cracked chicken.  I really liked the cumin lamb also.  

• 3 weeks later...

Checked out Alice this weekend and had an amazing experience.  I guess technically Pan Asian or Asian Fusion or something, but mostly felt like Chinese.

Small space (like 10 tables small) in a part of town we don't normally frequent.  It was packed with, for some reason, about 80% twenty to thirty something women...most of which were pretty hot.  Hope it doesn't get overrun by uptown douchebags once the secret gets out.  It was pretty casual by most standards.

They played 80's music all night (which might explain all the women) and it got progressively louder as the night went on which was pretty cool.  Around 10:00 or so, they turned on a disco ball and, although it never turned in to a club, that kind of took it up a notch.  Everyone was getting a little social toward the end of the night.  Felt like a small neighborhood Asian 80's music version of STK in Vegas.

Great service.  We didn't feel like thinking too hard and everything is served family style so we just had our waitress basically give us a tasting menu.  She nailed it.  Food and drinks were very good, but I'd go more for the experience than the actual food.  Small menu but everything we tried was very good.

I'm digging this recent push for these types of elevated Asian (or whatever we're calling it) types of places with a cool vibe.  It was as fun a night as we've had out in Dallas in a while.

• 4 months later...

This thread extends to the 'burbs yes (it better if we're talking ethnic)?  Because this is your winner right here.  http://sichuanfolk.com/

It's kinda become a tradition for us to go for a late dinner on Christmas day.  My favorite restaurants are the ones that you think about/crave for a week after going- this is one of those places.  

o.jpg

Edited by threesheets

• 6 months later...

Happy to report that I got Royal China delivered last night and it was amazing.

Little back story...there's been some discussion on this board about their downside being they don't really have delivery.  I tried it once a year or so ago using Uber Eats or Favor or something and it showed up cold and not that great (despite @DFWTexEx's belief that Royal China cold is still better than anywhere else in town hot).

Anyway, trying to find a place last night, frustrated that just about every delivery Chinese place around is average at best, so we're about to settle for Howard Wang's again.  Then noticed that Royal China now endorses Caviar as their delivery service so we decided to give it another shot.  I live 8 miles from it, which can take a while, but worst case scenario, we could reheat it and DFWTexEx might be pretty close to right that it's still going to be better than most places.
Well, Caviar showed up in under an hour (Howard Wang's always takes longer than that and they are 1.5 miles from me) and the driver had the food in a thermal food delivery bag and it was still hot enough that it required no reheating.

Not sure if this is an endorsement for Caviar or for Royal China, but if they can keep up that level of delivery, I am so fucking in.  By far hands down the best Chinese food in town and it's not even close.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
2 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

we have been getting Mint delivered ~1/wk with no issues. I love those shrimp rangoon things

Their crab fried rice also has crack in it.  But we haven’t found anything else on the menu that we really care for.  Anything else you like from there?

I really enjoy Mint. Isn't it more Thai than Chinese. Does that matter?

I've liked the noodle dishes and curries I've gotten from there. My ex-in laws LOVE the fish main that is fried and comes out with the entire fish on the plate. I can't do that presentation -- I don't want to see fish heads/tails on my plate and have to do the fileting on my dime so I haven't tried it.

If we're doing Thai here I like Sabaidee on Lemmon. Their crispy, sticky ribs appetizer are fantastic and I've liked most everything I've gotten from there. I like a little spice but I've learned I can't go much higher than 2 or 2.5 there.

21 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Their crab fried rice also has crack in it.  But we haven’t found anything else on the menu that we really care for.  Anything else you like from there?

the shrimp rangoons are really good (like a crab rangoon, but it's a tail on shrimp encased in the white cheese stuff then tempura battered and fried).  I like the basil shrimp and chicken (spicy) and get that pretty much every time.

As much as I hate to admit it, we have gotten take out dumplings -- including really good soup dumplings -- from Sum Dang Good.   Nothing like it on this side of town.

[He kept the absurd name, but backed off and removed all the offensive stuff from the menu]

Edited by DFWTexEx

On 7/14/2020 at 11:50 AM, DFWTexEx said:

As much as I hate to admit it, we have gotten take out dumplings -- including really good soup dumplings -- from Sum Dang Good.   Nothing like it on this side of town.

[He kept the absurd name, but backed off and removed all the offensive stuff from the menu]

Have you tried the Cream of Sum Yung Guy?

• 8 months later...

Ok, just opened yesterday.

Tian Tian.

It's at the corner of Preston and Frankford Road in Far North  Dallas. 

The chef is from China where he was trained. Ovens made in China. This appears to not be, "Asian Food for Round Eyes."

We had the Peking Duck, sliced to perfection, the "pancakes" are almost diaphanous they were so thin. The Xiao Long Bao with Black Truffle steamed dumplings were exceptional. And for something different, Black Fungus with Wasabi (texture very interesting and just enough heat).

Since it was opening night, there were organizational issues. But, gents, this place could be legit.

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1546.JPG

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/17/2021 at 11:54 AM, Lidig8r said:

Ok, just opened yesterday.

Tian Tian.

It's at the corner of Preston and Frankford Road in Far North  Dallas. 

The chef is from China where he was trained. Ovens made in China. This appears to not be, "Asian Food for Round Eyes."

We had the Peking Duck, sliced to perfection, the "pancakes" are almost diaphanous they were so thin. The Xiao Long Bao with Black Truffle steamed dumplings were exceptional. And for something different, Black Fungus with Wasabi (texture very interesting and just enough heat).

Since it was opening night, there were organizational issues. But, gents, this place could be legit.

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1546.JPG

just seeing this.  my parents live right there and we tried it a year ago (peking duck, xlb mainly) and came away unimpressed. have you been recently?  did we catch them on a bad night?  

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

just seeing this.  my parents live right there and we tried it a year ago (peking duck, xlb mainly) and came away unimpressed. have you been recently?  did we catch them on a bad night?  

You may have caught them on a bad night.

My impression was that they started strong, had the usual opening issues, corrected them.  They then had a bit of a lull. COVID hit hard of course.  But, in the past 6 months they have improved again. And they do have Tsing Tao beer.

They have gotten the online orders wrong on more than one occasion with me. But even still ...

I don't like "Round Eye" Asian places... Pei Wei, Panda Express, etc.

If I have the time, I will still go to little Chinatown on Greenville Avenue in Richardson. I particularly like Jeng Chi.

On 3/16/2023 at 6:16 PM, Lidig8r said:

You may have caught them on a bad night.

My impression was that they started strong, had the usual opening issues, corrected them.  They then had a bit of a lull. COVID hit hard of course.  But, in the past 6 months they have improved again. And they do have Tsing Tao beer.

They have gotten the online orders wrong on more than one occasion with me. But even still ...

I don't like "Round Eye" Asian places... Pei Wei, Panda Express, etc.

If I have the time, I will still go to little Chinatown on Greenville Avenue in Richardson. I particularly like Jeng Chi.

we love panda express.  

did you ever go to jeng chi before their remodel?  i think their remodel was done around 2015.  used to be a hole in the wall type joint where you could get 8 soup dumplings for $7.  it might be nostalgia speaking but i feel like their soup dumplings tasted better back then.  

43 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

1st Chinese BBQ in Arlington has excellent Peking Duck , though I haven’t been there post Covid.

are you talking about the duck hanging in the window stall?  that's cantonese roast duck.  it's a different preparation and different presentation when served.  peking duck will be sliced in thein sheets without bones and it's served with either small man tou (think white puffy bread) or a tortilla like skin with hoisin sauce and slivers of green onion.  cantonese roast duck is served chopped bone-in.  

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

we love panda express.  

did you ever go to jeng chi before their remodel?  i think their remodel was done around 2015.  used to be a hole in the wall type joint where you could get 8 soup dumplings for $7.  it might be nostalgia speaking but i feel like their soup dumplings tasted better back then.  

are you talking about the duck hanging in the window stall?  that's cantonese roast duck.  it's a different preparation and different presentation when served.  peking duck will be sliced in thein sheets without bones and it's served with either small man tou (think white puffy bread) or a tortilla like skin with hoisin sauce and slivers of green onion.  cantonese roast duck is served chopped bone-in.  

Yes, I too liked Jeng Chi before the remodel.  And I agree with you about the food.

We used to like Kirin Court on Sundays as well.  Always packed.

1 hour ago, Lidig8r said:

Yes, I too liked Jeng Chi before the remodel.  And I agree with you about the food.

We used to like Kirin Court on Sundays as well.  Always packed.

for sure, growing up kirin court was in our main rotation.  at least once a month.  my parents enjoyed taking the kids there also but we haven't been since the pandemic.  have you been lately? how are they doing?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They have both. They have the crispy skin Cantonese roast ducks hanging along with pork and sometimes whole roast pigs. They serve Peking duck three different ways; I’ve only had it with the skins, hoisin, and scallions.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

They have both. They have the crispy skin Cantonese roast ducks hanging along with pork and sometimes whole roast pigs. They serve Peking duck three different ways; I’ve only had it with the skins, hoisin, and scallions.

now i've got a craving for peking duck. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/26/2023 at 6:41 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

Anyone been to Fortune House on Lowest Greenville? I need to make it over there soon. 

Yes, but usually go to their Irving location. Bigger portions there and less crowded. 

Best xiao long bao I've found outside of Din Tai Fung.