Somebody has stolen a Horizon Air plane at SEA

Gil Bang

33 minutes ago, Shmitty said:

Those of y'all claiming they came from Portland, must either not be familiar with the area or have forgotten that there is a joint Army and Air Force base less than an hour southwest in Fort Lewis in between Tacoma and Olympia.  And I used to live in Federal Way, so this hits close to home.  

We have some type of fighter jet and required pilots within a few minutes of every major airport/potential target in the country.

16 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Macanudo.... director of USAF logistics.

Schmitty just showed his ass.   Most USAF bases don't have fighters especially on the west coast.  The bases out there that do are either in Alaska, Idaho or Arizona unless it's an Air National Guard unit at the state level.     And in this case, the closest unit is in Portland.   Their right there at PDX.  The next closest is either at Mountain Home (ID) or Elmendorf (AK) and both of those are too far away to make it to the Seattle area when something like this happens.   PDX to SEA is only 130 miles.   Go supersonic and that about 6 minutes once you're in the air.   I honestly doubt those F-15s did that so they were probably on target about 8-10 minutes after they scrambled.   I'm also willing to bet it took them 10 minutes to get airborne and on their way north.  Still, they were on his six within at least 20 minutes after he took off from SEA.

32 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Hey dumbass....   McChord doesn't have any pursuit planes.   Unless you want to fire up a C-17 Globemaster and go chasing it with one of those.   Not exactly conducive to tracking down a stolen plane.  

globe1.jpg

That's how the PIT maneuver works.

I used to live in University Place, maybe a half mile away from where that video of the crash was shot from, so yes, this hits close to where I used to call home.  That video is looking just to the south of the Chamber's Bay Golf Course where the U.S. Open was played in 2015.  
Where exactly did the F-15s scramble from?   McChord is to the SW about 10 miles away in Lakewood but they only have C-17 Globemaster cargo aircraft.   Fairchild is about about 25 minutes east at supersonic speed in Spokane and they only have KC-135s tankers.  There aren't any F-15s in Alaska and they fighters up there (F-22 at Elmendorf and F-16s at Eielson) are about 2 hours out if you're supersonic the whole way and that's a lot of fuel.    Maybe the ANG from Portland got up there fast enough to pursue but they're still 15 minutes away even if they go supersonic and that's barely even counting scramble time and clearing PDX airspace.  Even then, they'd have to swing out over the Pacific to do so with out breaking a shit ton of windows in the greater Portland/Vancouver area.  

Lakewood is pretty much all 17’s and lifters. I’ll bet the 15’s were out of Portland PDX. I think the 142nd Fighter Wing is there, stationed at an off-chute of Portland International Airport.

7 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I used to live in University Place, maybe a half mile away from where that video of the crash was shot from, so yes, this hits close to where I used to call home.  That video is looking just to the south of the Chamber's Bay Golf Course where the U.S. Open was played in 2015.  

Where exactly did the F-15s scramble from?   McChord is to the SW about 10 miles away in Lakewood but they only have C-17 Globemaster cargo aircraft.   Fairchild is about about 25 minutes east at supersonic speed in Spokane and they only have KC-135s tankers.  There aren't any F-15s in Alaska and they fighters up there (F-22 at Elmendorf and F-16s at Eielson) are about 2 hours out if you're supersonic the whole way and that's a lot of fuel.    Maybe the ANG from Portland got up there fast enough to pursue but they're still 15 minutes away even if they go supersonic and that's barely even counting scramble time and clearing PDX airspace.  Even then, they'd have to swing out over the Pacific to do so with out breaking a shit ton of windows in the greater Portland/Vancouver area.  

We need some more detail on all this and show your work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, horncyclist said:

So I assume the guy died in the crash right? Just read two articles and both oddly omit that fact.

According to what I read this morning, investigators haven't reached the crash site yet since it's on a remote island, so at this point he is only "presumed dead". I don't know if that is better or worse than "mostly dead".

He said something to the effect of "I'm going to try a barrel roll and if I pull it off I'm going to call it a night".  Sucks that he destroyed property but he didn't hurt anyone else and he went out after having a little fun.  Hope he found some sort of peace before he ended it, RIP.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NateHitch said:

He said something to the effect of "I'm going to try a barrel roll and if I pull it off I'm going to call it a night".  Sucks that he destroyed property but he didn't hurt anyone else and he went out after having a little fun.  Hope he found some sort of peace before he ended it, RIP.

Watching the barrel roll and reading excerpts of his communication, I find this to be sadly beautiful. 

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

According to what I read this morning, investigators haven't reached the crash site yet since it's on a remote island, so at this point he is only "presumed dead". I don't know if that is better or worse than "mostly dead".

It's a 10 minute ferry ride from Steilacoom. Not exactly the ends of the earth.

3 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I heard he swallowed his vomit during a test barrel roll

Like getting shit for only being able to shoot down a civilian aircraft?

Actually if you've ever met one of those guys, they really, really don't want to shoot down a civilian plane, passengers or not.   
1.   With passengers, they know it's going to cause all sorts of shit.
2.  Without passengers, their fellow pilots will give them all sorts of shit.

14 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

29 year old suicidal make ground crew stole a plane, did some aerobatics and crashed into an island in the Sound...

Just a normal Seattle Friday night...

Prolly too much coffee. That and the lack of plastic straws will drive a man to crazy.

5 hours ago, Blotto said:

It's a 10 minute ferry ride from Steilacoom. Not exactly the ends of the earth.

The Ferry from Steilacoom only goes to Anderson and Ketron Islands.   It's not like it can make landfall on some deserted island without a boat ramp.

As for a previous request...   This was the last picture I took before I moved back to Houston in 2010.   Sitting on the patio of the Grill at the to of the course by the clubhouse.  Was drinking a Manny's Pale Ale and taking in one last sunset over the Olympics.   He crashed a few miles off to the left.

Why the fuck did I move back to Houston?

30116003888_a518f012d9_b.jpg

• Like 7