Chelsea 2017-2018

Nick.O

Here is a counter argument.

We've got some ill-suited players as it is for Conte, this will be the same for Sarri if people are expecting him to replicate what he's doing at Napoli. While we've got players who positionally fit, their characteristics don't. Willian isn't the same styled player as Callejon on the right, who is both more direct and contains more forward like qualities. Which makes him a viable source of goals and assists. On the left we'd have Hazard who doesn't work as hard as someone like Insigne does - while once again not really as direct of a playing style. Hazard would need to operate more as a forward than a midfielder type - this includes being more selfish in front of goal. Upfront Morata simply isn't consistent enough to be a dependable source of goals. Mertens, as well as Insigne and Callejon are more flexible in general across the forward line which allows for grater interchanging of positions and are more forward like players.

Midfield would obviously still be a concern. We have no genuine holding player type that's reliable (No, Kante isn't a holding player and would wasted operating as such). We have no real goal scorer/attacking type in the mould of a Hamsik to help support the front line. RLC still has much to prove - despite his promising moments at Palace there's still been plenty of unimpressive spells. Fabregas would become somewhat null and void because of his lack of athleticism - which makes him hard to fit in unless he's literally flanked on either side of midfield by Kante and someone else who has the mobility and all-round game to play both sides of the ball (someone we currently don't have). As it stands, our midfield options simply don't mesh well as a cohesive unit and have too many limitations in their games that need to be covered by others. Something that's currently a big problem for us now.

Down back Azpilicueta would need to be shuffled over to RB. Unfortunately, his lack of size and ability in the air doesn't make him viable as a CB in a back four system. Both Luiz and Rudiger play with more freedom and adventure in their games, which makes them somewhat of a liability at times positionally. Christensen is most all-round CB we have currently, although still has his own weaknesses and would need a commanding player alongside him to aid him further. Cahill's age and contract situation doesn't make him a long term option. We'd need to invest in at least one, possible two quality CB's who have balance with ball at feet and can be a commanding presence in the air. Fullback would also be an issue, Emerson is the best fit at LB and Azpi on the right most likely. That said, moving Emerson and Alonso to fullback would be working against them more imo based on watching both in Serie A in previous years. Both played their best football in WB or midfield roles. Zappacosta would be alright at RB and would offer a more attacking option to Azpilicueta - but unsure if he could hold down a role if Azpi was out for any extended period of time.

We've not got enough players who compliment each others games. Which makes it difficult to implement any sort of specific playing style currently because there's also a handful of players who are covering another handful of players deficiencies. While Sarri's teams don't press anywhere near as frequently, if at all, they are still required to be tactically and positionally disciplined.

Personally, a lot of people have bought into the Sarri hype over the last 6 months or so. Yeah, he's done well with Napoli but he's been helped by the incompetence of other sides around him who should be doing far better. I'd actually prefer if we just stuck with Conte who is a proven winner and excellent manager in his own right. We should actually back him accordingly with the right sort of players. We've already got some of the basic foundations laid down, more managerial upheaving will set us back further and unlikely to improve on where we actually are - simply because, the core of our issues aren't manager related. That's another discussion though.

smh

Maurizio Sarri risks sitting a year out, as it’s reported Chelsea have not offered to buy him out of his Napoli contract and the clause expires on Thursday.

The Coach was fired to make way for Carlo Ancelotti, but under Italian law the contract remains in place until either a termination is negotiated by mutual consent or someone pays the €8m release clause.

That release clause is due to expire on May 31, so after that there is the genuine risk Sarri could have to sit a year out and wait for his contract to reach its natural end before he can work for anyone else.

Although Napoli would continue to pay his wages during this year, it’s something President Aurelio De Laurentiis may well be prepared to do just to prove a point.

Zenit St Petersburg officially hired Sergey Semak today, so that option is off the table and only Chelsea remain.

According to CalcioNapoli24, Chelsea have not made any formal offer to buy Sarri out of his contract, despite agreeing personal terms with the Coach last week.

It’s likely Chelsea will already have to pay current boss Antonio Conte a large sum to fire him early, so they don’t want to shell out twice for a tactician.

Now Sarri’s lawyers are working to find a way out of his Napoli deal.

Just purely looking at the current squad, we have some interesting decisions to make this season.

GK

Tbo - Doubt this end soon, but if he could be content on the squad you need to get him signed.

Willie - great back up GK, good against PK.  Keep

Def

Cahill/Geezer - I think one if not both of these guys go. You really can't keep both with their ages and the amount of talent coming up.  I would let Geezer go to Benfica or Napoli and keep Cahill for the leadership.

Rudiger/Christensen - These two are the future.  Keep.

Dave - Future Captain. Keep.

Zouma - I think you put him back in the squad pending the manager we sign.

Zappacosta - If we somehow stick with wingbacks, maybe.  Otherwise sell.

Alonso - Such an odd one. If we switch back to a 4 in the back, I'm not certain he has a spot.  If we keep wingbacks, I think he provides some tools, but he certainly was exposed this year in regards to pace. Sell.

Emerson - Keep, he needs a year to see what he can do. Better per what I've read with 4 at the back.

Ampadu - If there is playing time, keep him.  If not he needs a loan.

Mid

Kante - Keep

Baka - I might not be in the majority but at 23 years old, we keep him see if he is able to figure out the league.  Played better at the end of the season.

Drink - Sell.

Barkley - Keep for depth, he is the only mid we have with creative tendencies outside of 32 year old Cesc. Only 24 as well.

Cesc - Man, I think we start thinking about selling.  If he is amiable to stepping into a sub role, great, but he is also was expensive for a sub. Sell.

Moses - I think he provides appropriate depth, but should no longer be counted on as a starter.

Van Ginkel - See how the team pans out but he has been effective. I think he could be used for depth.

Kenedy - Sell.  He's had a chance and shows flashes but much to be desired.

Mount - Loan.  Talented youngster

Musonda - Such an enigma.  At times, looks like a star, but then just drops off.  I think he needs to mature. Loan.

RLC - It's his time in my opinion.  Keep and see if he can step up.

Attack

Hazard - Keep.

Giroud - Keep.

Tammy - Loan.

Willian - I think he has been a fantastic player for us.  I think his time as a Chelsea player is done. 30 in August. Sell.

Pedro - I think he is still good depth.  No longer a starter, but provides some leadership and experience.

Morata - I think he's gone.  Started hot, but just fell apart, blamed on a back injury. 

Lucas Piazon - Loan.

Bats - Depending on who we sign, I think he could be an excellent player for us. With Morata on his way out I think you keep him. It certainly could be augmented if whomever is our manager doesn't want him, but 

Without knowing how much we're spending on each guy, I'm pretty much with you except that Kenedy should stay on loan and Cahill should go.  We can get leadership in the back from Azpi and it seems like Rudiger is starting to step into a leadership role.  Depending on their salaries and what we can get, I'd consider selling Barkley and Pedro.  

Here's what I can find on wages

Thibaut Courtois 25 £140,000 2 Years (2019)
Willy Caballero (new signing)
36 £40,000 Last Year (2018)
Eduardo
35 £10,000 Last Year (2018)
Andreas Christensen
21 £35,000 3 Years (2020)
Gary Cahill 32 £130,000 2 Years (2019)
David Luiz
30 £120,000 2 Years (2019)
Antonio Rüdiger (new signing) 24 £90,000 5 Years (2022)
Marcos Alonso 
27 £90,000 4 Years (2021)
César Azpilicueta
28 £120,000 3 Years (2020)
Kenedy 21 £25,000 3 Years (2020)
Victor Moses
27 £75,000 4 Years (2021)
Emerson (New Signing) 23 £75,000 4 Years (2021)
Davide Zappacosta (New Signing) 25 £80,000 3 Years (2021)
Tiemoué Bakayoko (new signing) 23 £110,000 5 Years (2022)
Cesc Fàbregas 30 £156,000 2 Years (2019)
Danny Drinkwater (New Signing) 27 £90,000 4 Years (2022)
N’Golo Kanté 26 £120,000 4 Years (2021)
Eden Hazard
26 £200,000 3 Years (2020)
Ross Barkley (New Signing) 24 £90,000 5 Years (2023)
Willian 29 £120,000 3 Years (2020)
Pedro 30 £100,000 2 Years (2019)
Alvaro Morata (New Signing)
25 £120,000 5 Years (2022)
Olivier Giroud (New Signing) 31 £120,000 1 and Half Year (2019)

Marca today through Google Translate.

Real Madrid has activated the Conte option for the bench. After being discarded Pochettino, from the white club have set eyes on Antonio, who is still linked to Chelsea but in which everything points to not continue, hence there should be no problem contractually. Right now it can be said that it is the first on the list. Conte has been enjoying time in the T4, but with some but, as his volcanic character and his wardrobe management. However, at this point, it is one of the few live options among top European football coaches. Antonio ensures intensity and a team worked, although his last season at Chelsea has not been all good, despite which he closed winning the FA Cup. With one year of contract, Conte still has not separated from Chelsea, which continues looking for technical after falling Sarri, which was very close but that has ended up being ruled by their behavior outside the field, which is known sexist and homophobic episodes. The settlement is very high (about 20 million) and the London club want to save it, while the coach does not think to forgive him. The curriculum supports it. It complies with the profile sought by Real Madrid's former level player. Antonio, who shared costumes with Zidane in Juve, played in the Vecchia Signora from 91 to 2004, with which he won a Champions League. Once retired he went to the benches. After a tour in Italy (Arezzo, Bari, Atalanta B and Siena) came to Juve in 2011, where he achieved three consecutive Serie A. In 2014 he left by surprise to the Italian national team, which he directed at the Eurocup in France, where he was the executioner of Spain. They fell in quarters against Germany on penalties. From there he jumped to Chelsea, with which he won the Premier last year. In the current failed to classify the blues for the Champions, which fell against Barca in eighths leaving a good image. His teams are intense and worked, he manages several game systems and, at 48 years old, he has the necessary experience to carry the Real Madrid commands

22 minutes ago, RichUT said:

So Conte would get to leave Chelsea for Real Madrid?  Just a slight upgrade for him.  

He just doesn't seem like a players manager.  And most Real Madrid fans are beyond upset with him as an option.

The other name bouncing around is Guti.

Edited by MoJames

Di Marzio is generally good only at Italian stuff, but funny if true.

Gianluca Di Marzio: Conte rejected Real Madrid to respect his contract, and also he believes his methods would not suit the Real Madrid squad. (gianlucadimarzio.com)

On 6/13/2018 at 3:48 PM, MoJames said:

Jesus.  I've been pro-Conte, but Hazard and Willian are my favorite Blues.

I think Conte is a brilliant tactician, but it seems he lost the locker room just as badly as Mourinho did two years ago.

Hell, bring back Roberto di Matteo if it means we keep Hazard and Willian.

13 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Jesus.  I've been pro-Conte, but Hazard and Willian are my favorite Blues.

I think Conte is a brilliant tactician, but it seems he lost the locker room just as badly as Mourinho did two years ago.

Hell, bring back Roberto di Matteo if it means we keep Hazard and Willian.

I don't care who the new manager is, but Willian has to fucking go.

FYI

Maurizio Sarri 'confirmed' as next Chelsea manager by Kalidou Koulibaly as star predicts 'nice football'

Link

“We have now a big coach and we know we can win something with him. I hope he [Sarri] can win something with Chelsea."

“When a person like this comes to a new club, he needs time."

“They have to give him time because he will suit the football of Chelsea. I think Chelsea fans will enjoy the style of football he plays."

“At Napoli, we enjoyed it so much and the supporters enjoyed it so much, too. I think at Chelsea it will be the same.”

Chelsea is waiting for Sarri and wants to 'close the operation' for Manolas.

In the last few hours, Chelsea has decided they'll pay the clause of €38 million. Manolas is seriously considering The Blues' proposal, but still needs a few days to decide.

At the same time, negotiations with Rugani are proceeding. Chelsea intend to break through the wall of €30 million + bonuses to meet the demands of Juve.

Rugani would be guaranteed a multi-year contract worth €3.5 million per season.

For the moment, there are no developments on Albiol, another profile that Sarri likes.

The number of players that flamed out at Chelsea but are playing well at the WC is.....staggering. I get that international ball is a different beast, but it’s still impossible for me to ignore. This club has squandered so much talent that it’s really disheartening to watch.