Dry Rub (Memphis-style) Ribs

texifornia

Continuing a conversation from the Recruiting thread in a more appropriate place. I mentioned I liked the dry rub ribs at the Rendezvous in Memphis and was roundly told that was a bad opinion and I needed to get out more.

What makes for good dry rub ribs?

Does anyone have any good recipes?

What restaurants, in Memphis and elsewhere, do them well?

I don't generally make them because I think they're finicky as fuck, and I much prefer normal ribs.

If you're committed to making them, know that they're done over a hotter temperature than traditional ribs for less time - which makes them easy to overcook or burn. The best dry ribs I've had also got repeated rub + vinegar basting during the cooking in addition to rub before and especially after cooking. I'm not sure if that was traditional, but it tasted good.

I don't have a specific recipe, but any sweet/spicy rub with paprika would probably be fine. I'd try indirect heat at 350ish until they're finished, and know you'll probably ruin a few racks until you get them dialed in.

As for good spots in Memphis, I've got no idea. All the food I had there was mediocre at best.

Rendezvous is kind of it's own style in Memphis: grilled ribs with greek spices. I'm not a fan and only went when out of town guests had to go because they heard so many great things about it.

Central BBQ is great but I don't know if they do dry rub. I also like One and Only BBQ and they have dry rub on their menu.

• Like 1

In May I ate at Corky's and had the "double rib" thing where 1/2 is dry rub, the other is sauced.

The dry rub was (to me) awful.  Dry rub ribs are just not good.  This version the rub just tasted like cardboard.  Needed some kind of flavor on it!

The sauced ribs were okay but kind of processed tasting.

Not a fan of the dry rub, at least that style.

14 hours ago, phdhorn said:

In May I ate at Corky's and had the "double rib" thing where 1/2 is dry rub, the other is sauced.

The dry rub was (to me) awful.  Dry rub ribs are just not good.  This version the rub just tasted like cardboard.  Needed some kind of flavor on it!

The sauced ribs were okay but kind of processed tasting.

Not a fan of the dry rub, at least that style.

Hm, maybe the spices at the Rendezvous weren't to everyone's style, but they definitely had flavor.

I too lived in Memphis for years and did business lunches at Rendezvous regularly. In fact some of the Vergos clan worked for us. Anyway, their style is different as has been said. I liked the ribs well enough but it wasn't my go to their. They do a nice loin chop that is really good and if you have enough people the bbq shrimp are awesome. The cole slaw and baked beans sucked ass then and im guessing they still do.

My go to spot in Memphis now when I am back their is Germantown Commissary or Central. The bbq sandwich at Tops is good and there is a shop in the airport, can't remember the name, but it's good, maybe Interstate.

Anyway, I like Memphis bbq. I love Texas bbq. I find NC (where I live now) BBQ to be barely tolerable. But i understand the different styles. I you come to NC looking foe Texas style bbq you are going to be disappointed. But if you enjoy good food prepared in a different way, it's a fun exploration. 

Fortunatley (maybe unfortunately) John Lewis has opened his shop in Charleston, SC and he is doing it right. I like pretty much everything I've had their. Even so, I know I've had better in Texas and I haven't even eaten at very many places since I get there so rarely,

• Like 1

• 2 years later...