Tell me about New York City

29 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Ray's is two storefronts down from there now; that space is currently home to a Cuban place that's a fuckin' hipster's delight.  The wall above the subway entrance has a Biggie mural painted on it now...

A high school friend moved from Manhattan to a "garden apartment" in a brownstone that is in the middle of an amazing block of brownstones that dead end into Fort Green(e?) Park back in mid-late 2007. It was still a little rough around there when I stayed at his place (while he was sick in Dallas) over New Year's '07/'08.

I have stayed there many times since and I've watched flat, sleepy Fort Greene and surrounding areas absolutely explode with high rises, trendy coffee shops, more high rises, trendy restaurants... It's not even my place, nor my neighborhood, but I still get a little irked by how much it has changed "since I've been going there".

I no longer even feel the slightest bit on edge when walking late at night, which kind of bugs me, because I got 7 1/2 years of awareness training while living in Buenos Aires, and I can't even use it back in The States. 

#sad

Ray's is two storefronts down from there now; that space is currently home to a Cuban place that's a fuckin' hipster's delight.  The wall above the subway entrance has a Biggie mural painted on it now...

This
8b69d1e83c42655fdf43716cb88f11c3.jpg

I’m still pissed my favorite rasta barber shop shut down due to gentrification.

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

A high school friend moved from Manhattan to a "garden apartment" in a brownstone that is in the middle of an amazing block of brownstones that dead end into Fort Green(e?) Park back in mid-late 2007. It was still a little rough around there when I stayed at his place (while he was sick in Dallas) over New Year's '07/'08.

I have stayed there many times since and I've watched flat, sleepy Fort Greene and surrounding areas absolutely explode with high rises, trendy coffee shops, more high rises, trendy restaurants... It's not even my place, nor my neighborhood, but I still get a little irked by how much it has changed "since I've been going there".

I no longer even feel the slightest bit on edge when walking late at night, which kind of bugs me, because I got 7 1/2 years of awareness training while living in Buenos Aires, and I can't even use it back in The States. 

#sad

Yeah because there’s nothing worse than not being scared for your life when walking through a neighborhood.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Yeah, that can be a pain in the ass if you've got any amount of luggage and you're leaving on a Monday morning though...

Or, not staying in Brooklyn or the FiDi. I assume that most tourists are aiming for Midtown Manhattan. 1 stop on the express LIRR train to Penn is probably better than 20 stops to downtown on the E-J-Z.

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2019 at 3:00 PM, midtown said:

Yes..ate there in January after a probably 10 year gap..still good, still only cash, still tiny as shit

Sounds perfect.  Called to make a reservation for Thursday night and they said “just come in man you’ll be fine” which is even more perfect.

Quality Meats - Wednesday night

Frank - Thursday night

Marea - Friday night

Any of you Surly bastards wanna grab a drink in the next few days...PM me

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Sounds perfect.  Called to make a reservation for Thursday night and they said “just come in man you’ll be fine” which is even more perfect.

Quality Meats - Wednesday night

Frank - Thursday night

Marea - Friday night

Any of you Surly bastards wanna grab a drink in the next few days...PM me

I'll be in NYC for a family wedding, so I'm down for some drinking. 

• 2 months later...
Anybody have a good hotel recommendation around 14th street, west side of the island?  

When my parents visit us they often stay at the Walker on 13th or the Marlton on 8th. Both pretty solid boutique-ish hotels that aren’t too pricey. If you go farther west than 8th Ave you’ll run into Meatpacking hotels.

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

Anybody have a good hotel recommendation around 14th street, west side of the island?  

Budget? there is the Standard, the Greenwich, Dream, Gansevoort, High Line Hotel, Maritime, I suspect The Jane hotel is a good fit for you

14 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

My favorite cocktail bar is Attaboy because there is no menu and they can make anything you want.  Place is tiny though so get there early and put your name on the list.

They can pour bourbon into a glass and then leave me alone? Sounds great.

At a gay bar in Chelsea with a bunch of Texans and the only Black Republican US Senator.  Nobody likes Trump and nobody has a good pizza recommendation.  

This a good as thread and need to read it all the way through but anyone else feel it’s empty as what the fuck? The whole city dead. From bloomys area to Astoria Feels empty this wknd even though it’s a couple weeks after memorial but everything feels dead. Even the Latino bars on northern  feel empty and no one out. Was there a plague I didn’t know about?!

Edited by achooloco

This a good as thread and need to read it all the way through but anyone else feel it’s empty as what the fuck? The whole city dead. From bloomys area to Astoria Feels empty this wknd even though it’s a couple weeks after memorial but everything feels dead. Even the Latino bars on northern  feel empty and no one out. Was there a plague I didn’t know about?!

It’s summer. Most weekends feel like this. Folks have headed to the Hamptons, Newport, Jersey Shore, or the coast of MA or ME.
  • Like 1

Everyone heads to the beaches in the summer and summer Friday’s are a thing there. Hamptons, closer in Long Island beaches, Jersey Shore, Rhode Island, etc are jammed-packed.

Edit-Penelope beat me to it ^^^

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lobo said:

At a gay bar in Chelsea with a bunch of Texans and the only Black Republican US Senator.  Nobody likes Trump and nobody has a good pizza recommendation.  

Prolly too late and it’s technically in the West Village but Emmett’s on MacDougall kicks ass

As a completely unrelated aside based on your username,  there’s a place called Lobo in Cobble Hill in Brooklyn that’s the closest thing to real TexMex I’ve found here.  Opened by a guy from Austin and a guy from El Paso....

Just looked this up and looks pretty good. It’s probably the thing I miss most about Texas, so I’m going to have to try this soon.

18 hours ago, achooloco said:

AIDS

As a completely unrelated aside based on your username,  there’s a place called Lobo in Cobble Hill in Brooklyn that’s the closest thing to real TexMex I’ve found here.  Opened by a guy from Austin and a guy from El Paso....

Actually, the owner is from Oklahoma and lived in Austin for a few years. Is there still a location in Park Slope? Used to be my go-to queso joint but Javelina in Union Sq is better.

quick trip there this past weekend.  father's day brunch at per se and anniversary dinner at eleven madison park...didn't bother with many pics at per se but it was outstanding.  eleven madison always great.

LqDMl8A3UY7KWEO5yLDAgo9OrH3ECRMQZMXHAdO7

vYZ7-SgqE-pYn3phl5XfK9414dXff8ornOk65Adf

EUgPU6_D4N3-rBwbT1gzGJKGhVNHUdo8OlWYc1Sc

nexhSt96I2s0XydcfVlmy3AOcoUpezaCinNXwWet

trout tare tare with rye bread

6LVHm9qy5hUBm758BiEZ0jt0r6tJr_Rwuqg5OHDK

caviar cheesecake with pickled asparagus

ya1ze3igFsg7y19QKpKQg1IC7QCWaW_uT-YJ1hQ6

c4RM3rLU-grbNk3R4Gbl0uH24Myk-n9GhUuph5n-

foie gras with pistachio and ginger

aDdZWTzvuJttF3eefQ14sNIznEBrbXbFPD8e-32r

lobster and green tomatoes

mbkMQmGo8--ixUwOz8F0WdJNjrSt-GIrna_nKcA8

escargot

5YhIaRNadM0_egxqGcXZzC36VsGYJXCU3MQY--Ci

duck

1vvvcFbJhbPzyF_X_EZal512SfXRjOxa_Jwh6K6L

cheese

tZfRfd_4QzoXW6kCHhgfOZ3S4BtRwWP9_7jNGbj0

cookies and cream

mdnrNkjwCt6w6vD1-6CFgMB5uT_wnAHb_09_DkpU

pretzels

5B_eoQm0GTdMcTVcF8bS5aD4-SEmkMpvlA-lcC4g

jCwJ0heQRWsz1vRwOrcHniWQOrEINcoL-enUT-g9

• 1 month later...

Went the past two days on business.  Weather sucked on Monday afternoon and it poooouuurred so aside from walking around and getting soaked, I grabbed a glass of wine and some affetati at Eataly (of course I did) but then had dinner at Wokuni on Lexington ( https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/22/dining/wokuni-sushi-japanese-restaurant.html ) and then finished off with some mezcal at the bar at Pod 39 which I highly recommend if you are cool with microscopic but clean and convenient hotel rooms (which I am)

On 6/15/2019 at 3:04 AM, achooloco said:

Flew in July 8th.  Meetings in Jersey but the AM was a conference call I could be in an Uber for...  So I stayed in MidTown.  I had never seen the city so dead.  Now that was a Monday after July 4th weekend but we had the same feeling you did on that trip.