Tell me about New York City

On 9/17/2019 at 10:50 PM, tantric superman said:

Have wife and two adult kids in tow and they are all fitbitters so we plan to get the steps in.  And is there a point where we should turn around (reservoir)or should we head all the way up to 110th?  Remember, the wife is very nervous in big cities.  So trying to figure out the quaintest part of NYC to get her to.  

I would keep going to 110th.  There's some cool topography and trails in the north side of the park.  Keep in mind that every feature you see in the park is man made. Every outcropping was carved into the bedrock, every babbling brook has a valve somewhere that will shut it off

Just returned - yeah, and I can see how the UN stuff would drive you crazy.  But all in all, LaGuardia to midtown wasn't bad.

Can't say we got to try much in the way of food.  We had a very solid rehearsal dinner meal at Becco, restaurant row, theater district.  I suspect one of the pastas was a tagliolini, and very spicy, but not sure. 

Burger at the weird little space behind the curtain at the Parker was solid.  After eating starch all weekend we had a nice little vegan meal at a simple little place called beyond sushi. I think it's a chain in NYC.

Almost made it to the Magnolia Bakery but wife decided we needed food at the A.O.C. (franch bistro) in the same area.  It was fine.

You New Yorkers, if you want to get rid of your guests for a morning ,you should send them to that NYC Media Boat Tour.  That was awesome. 

Did not get to explore the Park though.  Spent time West Village, lower east side/Chinatown.  Did a short Tenement Museum tour. 

Labor Day weekend trip update, amazing trip!

My daughter's heart was stolen by the city in minutes. Toured The New School and walked around NYU. Saw Beetlejuice and won lottery tickets for Betrayal, did stage door and got playbills signed. Blown away by Central Park (my first visit). Took a nice tour by the conservatory group of the park. Saw the Mrs. Mazel exhibit at The Paley Center. Dinner at Joanne's (part time girlfriend choice). The only I missed was Los Tacos #1 in Times Square, they were closed, but I'll be back. 

Next trip we get out of the Manhattan bubble. 

On 9/23/2019 at 5:24 PM, tantric superman said:

Just returned - yeah, and I can see how the UN stuff would drive you crazy.  But all in all, LaGuardia to midtown wasn't bad.

Can't say we got to try much in the way of food.  We had a very solid rehearsal dinner meal at Becco, restaurant row, theater district.  I suspect one of the pastas was a tagliolini, and very spicy, but not sure. 

Burger at the weird little space behind the curtain at the Parker was solid.  After eating starch all weekend we had a nice little vegan meal at a simple little place called beyond sushi. I think it's a chain in NYC.

Almost made it to the Magnolia Bakery but wife decided we needed food at the A.O.C. (franch bistro) in the same area.  It was fine.

You New Yorkers, if you want to get rid of your guests for a morning ,you should send them to that NYC Media Boat Tour.  That was awesome. 

Did not get to explore the Park though.  Spent time West Village, lower east side/Chinatown.  Did a short Tenement Museum tour. 

I live in a neighborhood crawling with fucking diplomats.  Because of where I live, almost all my transportation options absolutely suck, including walking because of the blocking of sidewalks and streets.  When you take half the sidewalk away, it is no longer as easy to walk, and people start piling up.

On 9/18/2019 at 10:28 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Cloisters seems like a good choice. Of course that will involve either a very expensive car or a fairly long subway ride, which seems like it might scare your spouse (note: it’s of course completely safe and much more efficient than a car).

She might like the West Village west of 7th Avenue and south of 12 Street all the way over to the Hudson River Park (as n2n mentioned).

I would suggest Prospect Park, which is just as beautiful as CP and way less crowded, but I feel like just getting to and being in Brooklyn may be too adventurous.

Yeah if she’s scared of the subway she ain’t gonna like it down here in the BRK...

Dinner at Babbo was fantastic.  No pics.  Had the pig's foot milanese and the gnocchi with braised oxtails.  Both were delicious.  I audibly laughed when the pig's foot came out because it had been pounded thin (what else was I expecting) and looked like Barf's foot after it gets crushed in Spaceballs.  

I may never not stay in the village again.  Had work downtown and midtown, and it was perfectly situated to get to both in <20 mins.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

Dinner at Babbo was fantastic.  No pics.  Had the pig's foot milanese and the gnocchi with braised oxtails.  Both were delicious.  I audibly laughed when the pig's foot came out because it had been pounded thin (what else was I expecting) and looked like Barf's foot after it gets crushed in Spaceballs.  

I may never not stay in the village again.  Had work downtown and midtown, and it was perfectly situated to get to both in <20 mins.

Babbo is my favorite place in NYC.  Granted that's a fairly limited endorsement as I'm certainly no expert.  But as of today, if I could only pick just one, that would be it, regardless of where I was staying.

Where did you stay?

Edited by Landomatic

I may never not stay in the village again.  Had work downtown and midtown, and it was perfectly situated to get to both in  

Where did you stay? We are headed there in Dec and I am staying at the W near union square.

That hotel is a bit dated and think about switching to the edition at Madison and 23rd.

41 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Where did you stay? We are headed there in Dec and I am staying at the W near union square.

That hotel is a bit dated and think about switching to the edition at Madison and 23rd.

Sometimes the Nomad Hotel runs a good special on rooms.  I love that hotel.  It is absolutely gorgeous.  

https://www.thenomadhotel.com/new-york?gclid=CjwKCAjwibzsBRAMEiwA1pHZrhEOCE8_DHLzQwiiA1kpJJbjQQ3PMxTn1mxHlLJ0d9tOnCf3soUiLBoCl0IQAvD_BwE

I would also look into the Gramercy Park Hotel and 11 Howard.  Both are Marriott/Starwood properties if that is your jam.  Both are very nice and located wonderfully.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I’ve stayed at that Edition.  Loved it.  Didn’t stay there two trips ago and had seller’s remorse the whole time.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 12:58 PM, Landomatic said:

Babbo is my favorite place in NYC.  Granted that's a fairly limited endorsement as I'm certainly no expert.  But as of today, if I could only pick just one, that would be it, regardless of where I was staying.

Where did you stay?

I was at the Washington Square Hotel right across the street.  Somehow I managed 2 nights for ~$700 during the UN General Session when even the Springhill Suites was going for $800/night.  There was linoleum on the floor of the room and the bed inexplicably had rollers on it.  Strange, but ultimately a non-issue.  Love the neighborhood, and if your business takes you to both downtown and midtown, there isn't a more convenient location.  20 minutes each way

hate to jump in on a megathread late, but we're taking our (soon to be) 8-year-old for his birthday as a surprise. After all the troll-y suggestions about chain restaurants and crack alleys I'd love to hear suggestions about kid friendly sights and restaurants (maybe even a brewery or two). My son is much cooler than I am, so adult vibe places are okay w him, but also don't want to intrude on date nights.

Edited by Bottlecap

hate to jump in on a megathread late, but we're taking our (soon to be) 8-year-old for his birthday as a surprise. After all the troll-y suggestions about chain restaurants and crack alleys I'd love to hear suggestions about kid friendly sights and restaurants (maybe even a brewery or two). My son is much cooler than I am, so adult vibe places are okay w him, but also don't want to intrude on date nights.

Fraunces Tavern might be a good place to grab a meal. Has a great beer selection. Also, it’s a pretty historic building.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

There is no better place for an 8 yr old than NYC.  My kids first went when they were 9 and 6 and they haven't stopped talking about it since.  If they are well mannered you can take them anywhere you damn please.   Having said that if they are the kind scream and run around like a maniac some decorum is best.  Not sure I'd take them to a tasting dinner at some 5 star.  Almost any pub is fine as long as its not an after work banker happy hour.   Just avoid them until 7pm.  Tons of noodle shops, Chinese, Italian American, Pizza places to be had.  Those places are loud already so tossing an 8 yr old in the mix is not big deal.  My kids loved the pub food and its easy on parents because they have everything and they have cocktails.    Definitely get him to one of the top burger spots like Corner Bistro.  

• Like 2

Fraunces Tavern might be a good place to grab a meal. Has a great beer selection. Also, it’s a pretty historic building.

You can then walk to Pier 11 at Wall Street and take the NYC ferry across to Brooklyn heights for ice cream(regardless of weather) and a pretty cool view.

Or take the Staten Island Ferry to show him the Statue of Liberty without standing in lines for hours.
  • Like 2

You can then walk to Pier 11 at Wall Street and take the NYC ferry across to Brooklyn heights for ice cream(regardless of weather) and a pretty cool view.

Or take the Staten Island Ferry to show him the Statue of Liberty without standing in lines for hours.
This is a good idea. Once I finish getting my apartment set up, I'm going to get out and start exploring the city. Last time I was living here, I was boring. I'm much more adventurous now. Helps that I post some of this on my travel site.

37 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Frenchette is officially my favorite restaurant in the city. I've made friends with one of the bartenders. Went back Wednesday night of this week.

Arguably the most exciting wine program in the city as well.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Exciting natural wine program maybe.

I have friends who refuse to go because of that.  And the restaurant doesn't allow corkage.  According to Jorge, who runs the wine program, the plan is to have a similar approach when they re-open Le Veau d'Or on the UES... that should be interesting.

Maybe you guys can help ...

We live in PA are in NYC once a month for theater weekends. We kinda are in a rut and do the sabe stuff because we’ve seen and eaten all over the city.

We always stay at the Bryant Park Hotel. We are seeing a show at Studio 54 that ends around 5 and have 2.5 hours to kill before our train leaves Penn Station. Any recs along the walk roughly from 54th/7th and Bryant Park that is not in Times Square or west of Broadway?

We very well might end up back at Quality Meats but any other ideas that I might not be thinking of?

12 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I’ll probably get negged for this, but I’ve never been a fan of French food.

I really wasn’t either until we spent 10 days in France this year.  French food in France >>>>> French food in the US

And we went to Italy after. I’ll say the same about Italian food there vs. the heavy, over-sauced stuff we tend to get here

Edited by AustinMT

We live in PA are in NYC once a month for theater weekends. We kinda are in a rut and do the sabe stuff because we’ve seen and eaten all over the city.
We always stay at the Bryant Park Hotel. We are seeing a show at Studio 54 that ends around 5 and have 2.5 hours to kill before our train leaves Penn Station. Any recs along the walk roughly from 54th/7th and Bryant Park that is not in Times Square or west of Broadway?
We very well might end up back at Quality Meats but any other ideas that I might not be thinking of?

The Eater Heatmap is a good place to look for new places.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
On 10/6/2019 at 8:13 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Read more  

The Eater Heatmap is a good place to look for new places.

Not surprising but it’s void of any suggestion East of 8th, south of 59th and north of 22nd. 

9 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

The obvious answer is Keen’s if you’ve never been. Haven’t been yet, but I’ve heard good things about Ootaya (if you like Japanese). 

Both good (though Keen’s imo isn’t what it used to be, I’d assume go to Del Frisco). Haven’t been to Ootaya in a while. 

Utsav might be where we end up. 

Not surprising but it’s void of any suggestion East of 8th, south of 59th and north of 22nd. 
Hutong is at 58th and Lex in the Bloomberg building. We went for Dim Sum brunch on Sunday. I would recommend it. Didn't say anything as I thought it might be too far north or east for what you were looking for. The inside is stunning.

3e8668bab674c629626e24c2421bbfec.jpg7040ff5adf152cef57c9cfa082d4f8f8.jpg2f425b1df51ba73761d5c089f7004111.jpg04bb968ab72bcdec44cacbc96f65b97d.jpg0fdd36a0c0751d579e91f869e6438ad4.jpg71f58eb78785489d816fbeb083e66bf1.jpg74f13d87e69f5c10803b2b7d5bcb348e.jpgf189cd7f571ab959c514ed9e2970c6c3.jpg
  • Like 1