Tell me about New York City

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
4 hours ago, HenryJames said:
Russ & Daughters or GTFO.

This is the right answer.

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Russ & Daughters or GTFO.

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I've passed it a few times coming and going from Katz's. I always heard it was good, but you have my attention. 

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Yep that’s what I always thought.

I agree that R&D (original, not the sit down), is probably the best overall bagel/salmon combo in the city, and if you are visiting you should definitely go. 

Having said that (Larry Davis voice), it’s kind of like Franklin for me. Sure, it’s marginally the best, but I only have time to go on Saturday or Sunday and it’s just not worth the hour wait when I could just have Tompkins or Kossars or a number of any other places delivered that are just slightly below. 

I agree that R&D (original, not the sit down), is probably the best overall bagel/salmon combo in the city, and if you are visiting you should definitely go. 

Having said that (Larry Davis voice), it’s kind of like Franklin for me. Sure, it’s marginally the best, but I only have time to go on Saturday or Sunday and it’s just not worth the hour wait when I could just have Tompkins or Kossars or a number of any other places delivered that are just slightly below. 
If you get there at 8, generally not a wait.

18 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Definitely don't go there the day before Passover @ 4:30pm to pick up pickled tomatoes and whitefish salad for your father-in-law to travel with you back to Texas. Not that I've tried that before or anything.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Oy vey.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

This makes a lot of sense.  Probably how I'd view it if I lived there.  Hell, we stood in line at Ess-A for an hour and I can assure you, it wasn't worth it.

Staying at The Mark next time I'm in NYC and the hotel restaurant claims to have R&D Bagels and Lox on their menu.  I'm sure not as good as the original, but I'm still looking forward to it.

Last Friday, went to Her Name is Han. Definitely put it on your list if in NY. No pics, but it was amazing.

I was staying around the corner last week and tried to go in last Tuesday. They were on an hour wait for 1.

Went a few doors down to Take 31 (owned by same group I believe) and quickly found a seat. It was outstanding.

My report (no pics) of new places I tried on this trip:

Marea:  classic, Central Park South, 2 Michelin star, everything fantastic from start to finish, extraordinary service.  We had never been, but we will go back.  Italian seafood.   The fuselli with octopus and a bone marrow red sauce is  on one list of the "iconic" dishes of NYC.  We ordered one for the table.  It lived up to the reputation.  I shared a whole, salt roasted branzino with one other person.  It was perfect, as were the  the roasted mushrooms and brocollini on the side.

Hutong:  NYC outpost of a Hong Kong restaurant.  In the old Le Cirque space on Lex.   Totally fabulous room, perfect service, and really good upscale Northern Chinese food.   We had the special dim sum box, soup dumplings, and 1/2 Peking duck (carved tableside by an older Chinese guy who has done this about 10,000 times and served in two stages).  The only things less than memorable were the sides of fried rice and Chinese broccoli.   Big city night out.

Boqueria / 40th street.  Really fun tapas place.  Sat at chef's counter overlooking the kitchen and within clear earshot of the guys yelling at each other in Spanish.   Good show!  Perfect for a light pre-theater meal (and way better than those prix fixe menus).   We shared a very nice platter of Spanish meats and cheeses and a tortilla.  I know this is something of a NYC chain, but happy to see something like this in the Theater District.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

Marea:  classic, Central Park South, 2 Michelin star, everything fantastic from start to finish, extraordinary service.  We had never been, but we will go back.  Italian seafood.   The fuselli with octopus and a bone marrow red sauce is  on one list of the "iconic" dishes of NYC.  We ordered one for the table.  It lived up to the reputation.  I shared a whole, salt roasted branzino with one other person.  It was perfect, as were the  the roasted mushrooms and brocollini on the side.

Hutong:  NYC outpost of a Hong Kong restaurant.  In the old Le Cirque space on Lex.   Totally fabulous room, perfect service, and really good upscale Northern Chinese food.   We had the special dim sum box, soup dumplings, and 1/2 Peking duck (carved tableside by an older Chinese guy who has done this about 10,000 times and served in two stages).  The only things less than memorable were the sides of fried rice and Chinese broccoli.   Big city night out.

Boqueria / 40th street.  Really fun tapas place.  Sat at chef's counter overlooking the kitchen and within clear earshot of the guys yelling at each other in Spanish.   Good show!  Perfect for a light pre-theater meal (and way better than those prix fixe menus).   We shared a very nice platter of Spanish meats and cheeses and a tortilla.  I know this is something of a NYC chain, but happy to see something like this in the Theater District.

Oh, go see To Kill a Mockingbird.  It's extraordinary, a whole new take on a book I knew well.

And Bar Centrale is legit.   

Glad you liked Hutong. That's only a few blocks from me. It is a stunning space.

in the city now. went to Astros v Yankees last night. had a blast in sec 135 (left field, field seats) was told not to get the bleachers riled up... did. yankees won, so i lived. but was told I suck and my mom said I'm gay and whatnot.

walked broadway this morning to go to TKTS.
taking the wife to see Chicago at a matinee, then we'll find a place to eat... and then generally figure out fun. maybe go down to financial district because I've never been.

id like to watch the game tonight , but that's not likely.

• Haha 1

NYT is off the Peter Luger bandwagon.

“Luger is not the city’s oldest, but it’s the one in which age, tradition, superb beef, blistering heat, an instinctive avoidance of anything fancy and an immensely attractive self-assurance came together to produce something that felt less like a restaurant than an affirmation of life, or at least life as it is lived in New York City. This sounds ridiculously grand. Years ago I thought it was true, though, and so did other people.

The restaurant will always have its loyalists. They will laugh away the prices, the $16.95 sliced tomatoes that taste like 1979, the $229.80 porterhouse for four. They will say that nobody goes to Luger for the sole, nobody goes to Luger for the wine, nobody goes to Luger for the salad, nobody goes to Luger for the service. The list goes on, and gets harder to swallow, until you start to wonder who really needs to go to Peter Luger, and start to think the answer is nobody.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/dining/peter-luger-review-pete-wells.html

• Like 1

NYT is off the Peter Luger bandwagon.

“Luger is not the city’s oldest, but it’s the one in which age, tradition, superb beef, blistering heat, an instinctive avoidance of anything fancy and an immensely attractive self-assurance came together to produce something that felt less like a restaurant than an affirmation of life, or at least life as it is lived in New York City. This sounds ridiculously grand. Years ago I thought it was true, though, and so did other people.

The restaurant will always have its loyalists. They will laugh away the prices, the $16.95 sliced tomatoes that taste like 1979, the $229.80 porterhouse for four. They will say that nobody goes to Luger for the sole, nobody goes to Luger for the wine, nobody goes to Luger for the salad, nobody goes to Luger for the service. The list goes on, and gets harder to swallow, until you start to wonder who really needs to go to Peter Luger, and start to think the answer is nobody.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/dining/peter-luger-review-pete-wells.html

Haven't been since 2010. Probably won't go back.

Did a multi-day steak visit to NYC with friends maybe 10yr ago and already had that impression of Luger then. It was clearly living off its name and reputation, the majority of customers were foreign tourists looking to check it off their list, and the service clearly reflected the clientele. Was the worst steak of that trip, both objectively as a steak and subjectively for value of visit as an experience.

6 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Dinner at Atomix tomorrow. I’ll try to remember to take pics, but customers will be with me so might not be able to swing it.

Just tell them it’s a selfie and you gotta gram it.  They’ll respect you more because they’ll think you’re young and cool and hip.

10 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Beautiful fall afternoon a few days ago. Weather is bleh right now.

Dinner at Atomix tomorrow. I’ll try to remember to take pics, but customers will be with me so might not be able to swing it.

You're in for a treat.  Place is dope.

5 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Hit Frenchette last Saturday night. It was, as mentioned, a damn fine meal.

Going to Tamarind in a few weeks, been a few years since we were there. 

I fucking love Tamarind. Taking my in laws when they come visit around thanksgiving and can’t wait. 

My folks are coming to visit this weekend. Pastis on Friday night, Babbo on Saturday night, Carbone on Sunday night.

5 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I fucking love Tamarind. Taking my in laws when they come visit around thanksgiving and can’t wait. 

My folks are coming to visit this weekend. Pastis on Friday night, Babbo on Saturday night, Carbone on Sunday night.

NYC Indian is really meh but it’s the best. That lineup is A+.

Went to Lion King on Broadway last night.  Time Square at night. Yada, yada, yada...$192  a ticket for ‘a broadway show’  lolz, what a fucking scam. $17 drinks in a little fucking sippy cup during the show?  WHAT THE FUCK, PEOPLE?????

This place is a fucking dump and I would NEVER, EVER,EVER, EVER want to live here.  People are ‘ need to be punched in the fucking face’ rude and inconsiderate.  Unaware or totally giving no fucks...either way, they can go fuck themselves.  The subway stations are like giant dumpsters, smelling like they are  filled with shit and piss from homeless people who haven’t bathed in weeks.

I am going to see 9-11 Memorial today. 

Glad this sumbeech is marked off the list now.  Never coming back unless it is a layover at the airport.  Fuck this place.

Went to Lion King on Broadway last night.  Time Square at night. Yada, yada, yada...$192  a ticket for ‘a broadway show’  lolz, what a fucking scam. $17 drinks in a little fucking sippy cup during the show?  WHAT THE FUCK, PEOPLE?????

This place is a fucking dump and I would NEVER, EVER,EVER, EVER want to live here.  People are ‘ need to be punched in the fucking face’ rude and inconsiderate.  Unaware or totally giving no fucks...either way, they can go fuck themselves.  The subway stations are like giant dumpsters, smelling like they are  filled with shit and piss from homeless people who haven’t bathed in weeks.
Glad this sumbeech is marked off the list now.  Never coming back unless it is a layover at the airport.  Fuck this place.
One less tourist is a good thing in my book. Please keep to Times Square.
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
7 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Read more  

One less tourist is a good thing in my book. Please keep to Times Square.

Lol.  Nothing to see there.  Agreed. The locals gotta hate it too.

Edited by Iceman

17 minutes ago, mdmost said:

If slorch can be a cunt there! 

He can be a cunt anywhere!

It's up to you!

New York, New York!

I was a bright shining ball of happiness compared with those miserable fucks.  Slightly fresher smelling too...

Must have just been a bad night.