Tell me about New York City

On 2/15/2020 at 6:49 PM, Ag with kids said:

To me, it's not much better than DFW with really fucking tall buildings and people that talk funny...

As someone that lived in Dallas for 35 years, and NYC/Long Island for 6, I can tell you that you're spot on. They are EXACTLY the same. Not London, Paris or any of the other cities you rattled off. NYC is akin to the Dallas fucking Ft. Worth metroplex. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As someone that lived in Dallas for 35 years, and NYC/Long Island for 6, I can tell you that you're spot on. They are EXACTLY the same. Not London, Paris or any of the other cities you rattled off. NYC is akin to the Dallas fucking Ft. Worth metroplex. 
Can't say I agree with you at all.

10 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

I'm not that big a fan of cities, especially new ones...fucking sue me. 

I didn't live in the US until I was 10 and my parents were both teachers so I grew up seeing shit tons of amazing history growing up.  I went to a church that was almost 700 years old in our small English town.  Now, I live 3 min from the beach on Padre Island now.  I like that better.

BTW, I'm here in NYC now.  It's cool so far.  Definitely bolstered by the fact that we had Per Se for dinner earlier (with a seat right on the window overlooking Central Park, so that was nice.   good view).  That was one AMAZING meal.

We've got several things planned for tomorrow - the Staten Island Ferry so we can see the SoL and say we did the ferry.  I have tix to the Top of the Rock so I can do that.  Also meeting up with some family I haven't seen in 30+ years that live in Jersey.  Depending on time, we'll see what else we can squeeze in.

But, when I leave on Sunday, I'll have more of an urge to visit DFW than NYC again...but that's because I have kids/grandkids up in DFW.  Otherwise, the only reason I'd hit DFW or NYC was because I was connecting on a flight in an airport.

• 4 months later...
On 2/21/2020 at 11:13 PM, Ag with kids said:

But, when I leave on Sunday, I'll have more of an urge to visit DFW than NYC again...but that's because I have kids/grandkids up in DFW.  Otherwise, the only reason I'd hit DFW or NYC was because I was connecting on a flight in an airport.

this is a funny comment. when you go to DFW, you are seeing family and not really visiting it as a city. When you come to NYC, it's the other way around even if you see family in NYC or around it. You are coming for the place. I've lived in Dallas, my mom lives there part of the year. There is nothing interesting to me in Dallas. NYC, like a London or Paris is interesting for more than the people. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, next2naus said:

this is a funny comment. when you go to DFW, you are seeing family and not really visiting it as a city. When you come to NYC, it's the other way around even if you see family in NYC or around it. You are coming for the place. I've lived in Dallas, my mom lives there part of the year. There is nothing interesting to me in Dallas. NYC, like a London or Paris is interesting for more than the people. 

This.  NYC, along with Rome, London, and Paris are some of the world's absolute best cities in a lot of different measures.  They all have something for everyone.  I know some may scoff at that as NYC doesn't have the sheer history of the other three, but given it's importance in the Revolution and the early part of the US, for Americans, it is vital.  

The first time I lived here, I did not appreciate it.  I like to think that I do now.  I am much more traveled and just have more life experience behind me, that I can appreciate it, warts and all.

Took a late lunch yesterday at Emilio's Ballato. It is an Italian stalwart on Houston that does not take reservations and focuses on classics.

I met the ower, Emilio Vitolo as he sits at a table closest to the door (they have 6-7 tables outside, very well spaced and they also do takeout). They bring focaccia with tomatoe sauce and plain to start.

I went with the house white as I just wanted something wet and crisp, and it didn't not disappoint. For starters, I went with the Caprese. The mozzerella di Bufala was absolutely amazing. Yum.

Then for a main, I went with with Gamberis di Emilio (sp). This was lemon butter shrimp in fettuccini. This dish was heavier on the lemons than most "scampi" dishes I've had, and given the heat, I really liked that. It resulted in a lighter tasting dish that went well with my wine.

I really enjoyed it, and I will definitely go back.

2ebc9a895bf3c77ba54a9b1344acd461.jpgc4b4ff8e3958e488e485f0bb24f06dba.jpg586fe11af05d34a4163b462cee41203f.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, next2naus said:

Meh...I'm not really a city kind of guy.  NYC is just a big city with tall buildings to me.  Yes, I get it.  The food, the culture, etc.

I grew up overseas.  If I go to a city, I want to see real history - Paris has that.  London has that (I remember going when the IRA was car bombing there).  Of course, I've been to both numerous times, so if I had a choice, I'd go somewhere else.  Too much to see in the world and not enough time...That's why I don't need to go back to NYC.

New Orleans is one of my exceptions on a US city I'd like to continue going to...but it's one of the very few.

BTW, I did eat an AMAZING meal at Per Se when I was in NYC and they gave us a window seat overlooking Central Park, so that was nice.

Edited by Ag with kids
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Took a late lunch yesterday at Emilio's Ballato. It is an Italian stalwart on Houston that does not take reservations and focuses on classics.

I met the ower, Emilio Vitolo as he sits at a table closest to the door (they have 6-7 tables outside, very well spaced and they also do takeout). They bring focaccia with tomatoe sauce and plain to start.

I went with the house white as I just wanted something wet and crisp, and it didn't not disappoint. For starters, I went with the Caprese. The mozzerella di Bufala was absolutely amazing. Yum.

Then for a main, I went with with Gamberis di Emilio (sp). This was lemon butter shrimp in fettuccini. This dish was heavier on the lemons than most "scampi" dishes I've had, and given the heat, I really liked that. It resulted in a lighter tasting dish that went well with my wine.

I really enjoyed it, and I will definitely go back.

2ebc9a895bf3c77ba54a9b1344acd461.jpgc4b4ff8e3958e488e485f0bb24f06dba.jpg586fe11af05d34a4163b462cee41203f.jpg

I used to live around the corner on Mott and loved dropping by Emilio’s. Once saw Jessica Simpson basically carried out from the back private room. Do they have their tables out on Houston, or just on the sidewalk?

I really hope the new outdoor dining/drinking stays in place. 

7 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I used to live around the corner on Mott and loved dropping by Emilio’s. Once saw Jessica Simpson basically carried out from the back private room. Do they have their tables out on Houston, or just on the sidewalk?

I really hope the new outdoor dining/drinking stays in place. 

Both.  They have 2-3 tables on the sidewalk, and then they have 5-6 on Houston.  

I agree.  

1 hour ago, Ag with kids said:

Meh...I'm not really a city kind of guy.  NYC is just a big city with tall buildings to me.  Yes, I get it.  The food, the culture, etc.

I grew up overseas.  If I go to a city, I want to see real history - Paris has that.  London has that (I remember going when the IRA was car bombing there).  Of course, I've been to both numerous times, so if I had a choice, I'd go somewhere else.  Too much to see in the world and not enough time...That's why I don't need to go back to NYC.

New Orleans is one of my exceptions on a US city I'd like to continue going to...but it's one of the very few.

BTW, I did eat an AMAZING meal at Per Se when I was in NYC and they gave us a window seat overlooking Central Park, so that was nice.

Yeah, see, I do not agree.  There is SO much history in NYC.  You may not be able to see it, but you can get a sense of it.  The Federal building on Wall Street is where George Washington took the oath of office.  

Fraunces Tavern is where patriots met.  

You can even see where Hercules Mulligan had his tailor's shop and he was able to play spy (the building is not there, but the location is).  Then there are all the former exchanges, customs houses, etc..

You can see a veritable whos who buried in NYC as well.  

Also, the New York buildings really tell a story.  You can see the advances of the 20th century in the story of the various skycrapers.  

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, see, I do not agree.  There is SO much history in NYC.  You may not be able to see it, but you can get a sense of it.  The Federal building on Wall Street is where George Washington took the oath of office.  

You can even see where Hercules Mulligan had his tailor's shop and he was able to play spy (the building is not there, but the location is).  Then there are all the former exchanges, customs houses, etc..

Also, the New York buildings really tell a story.  You can see the advances of the 20th century in the story of the various skycrapers.  

Grant’s tomb, First pizza joint in America, Statue of Liberty, Trinity Church, etc. From downtown to Midtown, there’s pretty much something historical in a 5 block radius.

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Fair enough...But, having grown up seeing history from A LONG TIME AGO, it's not the same...

I liked visiting Boston and seeing all the history and buildings that were there because they really showed the OLD history.  They really have done a good job of preserving the old stuff.

Maybe NYC has a a bunch of places like that.  But, not enough to navigate the rest of it FOR ME.

Hell, London has done away with a lot of the old history...Seeing the clusterfuck that has been built up around the Tower of London and all the older ruins back in 2016 made me sad.

You have to understand.  The town I lived in when I was a kid has a church that was built in 1300 (that I went to as a child).  The Officer's Club on base was an old priory built in 1050.  When I went to Stonehenge, there was nothing around...just a small sign that said "Stonehenge".  And there it was...in the middle of a field.  We parked right next to it and walked all over and around it.  We DID NOT cause the European Vacation accident, though (we were there 10+ years earlier).

Then I lived in the country in N Texas for 20 years.

Cities are meh to me.

Some people love mountains.  Some people love beaches.  Some people love the country.  Some people love cities.

I'm the beach guy.  Hence why I moved to N Padre....

I'm not crapping on NYC or anyone who likes going there or who loves the city.  I just gave MY view on it...

Edited by Ag with kids

39 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Fair enough...But, having grown up seeing history from A LONG TIME AGO, it's not the same...

I'm not crapping on NYC or anyone who likes going there or who loves the city.  I just gave MY view on it...

I get where you're coming from here. NYC has history, sure, but it's a very short slice of history. Nothing like the history contained in most European cities, even small ones.

11 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Grant’s tomb, First pizza joint in America, Statue of Liberty, Trinity Church, etc. From downtown to Midtown, there’s pretty much something historical in a 5 block radius.

Agreed.  I was just going back to th

11 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

I liked visiting Boston and seeing all the history and buildings that were there because they really showed the OLD history.  They really have done a good job of preserving the old stuff.

Maybe NYC has a a bunch of places like that.  But, not enough to navigate the rest of it FOR ME.

Hell, London has done away with a lot of the old history...Seeing the clusterfuck that has been built up around the Tower of London and all the older ruins back in 2016 made me sad.

You have to understand.  The town I lived in when I was a kid has a church that was built in 1300 (that I went to as a child).  The Officer's Club on base was an old priory built in 1050.  When I went to Stonehenge, there was nothing around...just a small sign that said "Stonehenge".  And there it was...in the middle of a field.  We parked right next to it and walked all over and around it.  We DID NOT cause the European Vacation accident, though (we were there 10+ years earlier).

Then I lived in the country in N Texas for 20 years.

Cities are meh to me.

Some people love mountains.  Some people love beaches.  Some people love the country.  Some people love cities.

I'm the beach guy.  Hence why I moved to N Padre....

What this post tells me is that you didn't even try with NYC.  Yeah, whole swaths of the old city were NOT preserved.  That is because NYC is very much a reflection of the times, and things like a Historical Society and Historical Preservation were an afterthought until they tore the original Penn Station down.  

However, history oozes from this city.  You just have to put in the time.

PS - Paris is my favorite city in the world, but most of it is VERY new thanks to the shit in the French Revolution.

22 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

You are a very small minded person. IRA terror attacks in the UK in the 80's/90's are history to you, but you can't find interesting history in NYC? If all you see and know is "tall buildings" then you are the stereotype of the dumb fuck Ag. I say good day to you sir

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, next2naus said:

You are a very small minded person. IRA terror attacks in the UK in the 80's/90's are history to you, but you can't find interesting history in NYC? If all you see and know is "tall buildings" then you are the stereotype of the dumb fuck Ag. I say good day to you sir

When there are so many places for me to go, NYC is just not high on my list to return to.   I hope you enjoy it there.  I understand folks really enjoy it.  Great for them.

I just had a meh time.  It's just not my kind of place to go.  So, no need to go back.

Sorry that my malaise towards big cities upsets you...

2 hours ago, midtown said:

^ kind of like saying.  I went to Patagonia and they had was trees and hills with snow on them and all these annoying animals.   I can see dirt and grass in Texas.  What a waste.  

If I didn't like trees and hills with snow, so what?  

I'd rather go back and spend a few more weeks in the Azores on Terceira (where my parents met) and Sao Miguel and maybe hit a few of the other islands I didn't get to than go to NYC.  Or to a beach in the Caribbean.  Or go tour Europe, especially the places that were off limits when I was growing up there.

When I lived in DFW I would have picked going to Ft Worth over Dallas 100 times out of 100.  I just don't like the big city feel.   Maybe that's why I like Corpus and moved here (well, I moved to NPI, but...).  It's not a big city.

I get it though.  You like NYC.  Great!  I'm sincerely glad you like it!!!  I hope you get to go back many times.

Edited by Ag with kids

23 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

When there are so many places for me to go, NYC is just not high on my list to return to.   I hope you enjoy it there.  I understand folks really enjoy it.  Great for them.

I just had a meh time.  It's just not my kind of place to go.  So, no need to go back.

Sorry that my malaise towards big cities upsets you...

I think your sense of history is lacking, NYC was founded in 1624, all sorts of bad ass Indian history here before that, 

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

You could have saved a lot of time by just rolling with this...

My first post was asking about what to do there (with a comment about not going back)

LITERALLY, the next post I made started like this:

Are you about to die?  ‘Probably won’t go back, unless I have to.’

A truly world class city no more than a few hrs away by direct flight and you plan to do 2 days then check the box and move on?  Lol

Die?  Nope.  I'm just not that big of a city person

38 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

My first post was asking about what to do there (with a comment about not going back)

LITERALLY, the next post I made started like this:

Are you about to die?  ‘Probably won’t go back, unless I have to.’

A truly world class city no more than a few hrs away by direct flight and you plan to do 2 days then check the box and move on?  Lol

Die?  Nope.  I'm just not that big of a city person

Ag and kids.  I have reading comprehension issues.  

On 7/12/2020 at 11:12 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Now that NYC is slowly coming back thought I'd bump this.

Thursday, we went to a late lunch at Dante then had magnums of Veuve on the rooftop at Mr. Purple.

The drinks at Dante are fantastic. Food is not bad either. Definitely get a res.

1cf490b4d799227debe5d37bae5bb9c2.jpge7fb3e7af45b4986a2742c3ea5d98354.jpgeeac1d58a756eb77ed96308a80327e47.jpge4382e208cc1640ff71a87b316eaf4b8.jpg

Hamptons next week but plan on NYC soon.  We saw Baccarat Hotel opened back up.  Just want some good patio action and shopping for the wife.  

• Like 1

Hamptons next week but plan on NYC soon.  We saw Baccarat Hotel opened back up.  Just want some good patio action and shopping for the wife.  
A lot of places for shopping are open, but others are appt only. Saks, Celine, Hermes, and Alexander McQueen open, but more limited hours. Goyard and Bergdorf Goodman are appointment only.

5 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

A lot of places for shopping are open, but others are appt only. Saks, Celine, Hermes, and Alexander McQueen open, but more limited hours. Goyard and Bergdorf Goodman are appointment only. emoji5.png

Appreciate it!  She will have appt’s I’m sure.  And the more places we can’t get into, the more money I save.  So that’s always good.  Although I’m the moron who blows more money.  Something about NYC.  It just feels right.  

Appreciate it!  She will have appt’s I’m sure.  And the more places we can’t get into, the more money I save.  So that’s always good.  Although I’m the moron who blows more money.  Something about NYC.  It just feels right.  
If you need the Goyard contact, give me a shout. I had an appointment the week after July 4th. I usually buy in Paris (save mad $$$$), but I'm doing my part to "stimulate" the economy and pay sales tax.

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

If you need the Goyard contact, give me a shout. I had an appointment the week after July 4th. I usually buy in Paris (save mad $$$$), but I'm doing my part to "stimulate" the economy and pay sales tax. emoji23.png

Will do - wife is from Europe and goes back a few times a year.  Crazy how much you can save there.  And now we are banished.  At least she can go back as a citizen.  What a world...

On 7/14/2020 at 3:18 PM, Ag with kids said:

When I lived in DFW I would have picked going to Ft Worth over Dallas 100 times out of 100.  I just don't like the big city feel.   Maybe that's why I like Corpus and moved here (well, I moved to NPI, but...).  It's not a big city.

Ah, now I get it. Your opinions on cities are just shit across the board. Makes your take on NY easier to understand.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1