Tell me about New York City

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

New York to be fully open by July 1 according to DeBlasio.  I cannot stand him, but every once in while, I have to give him kudos.

So when is the optimal time to come visit?  Sometime between when Bemelmans opens and July 1?  So from May 11 to July 1?

32 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

He has ruined all the restaurants and bars so where does he get kudos? 

Ruined all the restaurants and bars.  Do you live here?  

I hate DeBlasio, but blame sits with Cuomo.  While DeBlasio was bleating about closing, it was actually Cuomo who had the power.  It was the state that required food with drinks (Remember all that BS that went with that about what was a meal or wasn't?).  

On 4/29/2021 at 1:37 PM, Landomatic said:

So when is the optimal time to come visit?  Sometime between when Bemelmans opens and July 1?  So from May 11 to July 1?

I think June will probably be pretty cool.  Honestly, there is a ton to do now.  Is everything open, no.  But people are out and it isn't too terribly crowded.

6 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I thought the two things all New Yorkers agreed on were that New Jersey and DeBlasio both suck? 

I can confirm those.  But I have to give a little credit to DeBlasio.  He knows the city needs to open up to kick start the economic engine.  He is putting pressure on Cuomo by making these public remarks.  But yeah, he sucks, and I cannot wait to vote in the Primary in June.

I can confirm those.  But I have to give a little credit to DeBlasio.  He knows the city needs to open up to kick start the economic engine.  He is putting pressure on Cuomo by making these public remarks.  But yeah, he sucks, and I cannot wait to vote in the Primary in June.

Wonder if Yang would has a chance.

7 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I’m sure I’ve mentioned it in this thread previously, but I absolutely love Tamarind. Went again last night, and the food is always so fucking great. If you like good Indian food (that ain’t cheap), please go.

I miss their old location. Ate there during the 2011 blizzard and walked back to Bryant Park in the middle of 5th Avenue. It was magical. 

It’s the best Indian in the city - so many Indian restaurants and almost all suck. 

14 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Once they reopen, I will definitely go.  It will be very interesting.  Some of the best dishes I have had over the last 10-15 years in some of the best restaurants in the world have been meat free.

I had that experience at Blue Hill at Stone Barns. Seemed like we had 25 courses and maybe one had meat. It was incredible.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 11:58 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I’m sure I’ve mentioned it in this thread previously, but I absolutely love Tamarind. Went again last night, and the food is always so fucking great. If you like good Indian food (that ain’t cheap), please go.

I have not been.  Just added it to my list.  We went to Brick Lane on Saturday night.  My brit friend used to have her curry club meet there.  And it is BYOW, which is nice.  Afterwards, we went to McSorleys, skipped the line of a bunch of young 20 somethings who were waiting to go inside and took the small table right outside the door.  I forgot how much I missed McSorley's.  They were PACKED.  If this is a preview of what summer is going to be like, I am looking forward to it.  Maybe it is for the best that I have been unable to get a rental for a reasonable price.  

For those who as, I rarely go out during the week. I work from home, and I work some nutty hours as I have to deal with Hong Kong, New Zealand, and the UK as well as East Coast, so many nights, I am on calls at 9-11 or up at 4-5 due to calls.  

So weekends, I try and jam pack as much as I can.  

However, Thursday, I will be getting out on the UES as I have a facial.  For those who are bringing wives up here, or want a little self care themselves, Heyday on the UES does $100 facials (FYI, that is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP) which are really good.  Dorota is the best.  She books up, but she is my person.  I go monthly.   I figure 100 a month investment to keep my skin young and healthy is smart compared to the cost of botox.  

11 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I was really - really - underwhelmed at Heidelberg when we were a few years ago (but the wife is German and we are over there pretty often so maybe I was expecting more). Or maybe just an off night which is definitely a thing at any restaurant. But it looks delicious. 

The food was good.  The service left a lot to be desired, but I was cool reading my magazine (I have a pile from February to get through) and talking to the couple next to me who were Jazz Fest goers (so we were talking about Jazz Fests past).

11 hours ago, midtown said:

Holy crap Heidelberg is still open? I lived two blocks from there. Drank a lot of margaritas across the street

Yep.  That whole area was bumping last night.  The New Yorkers are back in the city and with the good weather, hitting the streets.  It is really, really good to see.  I am going to try and start changing up my working hours to allow me to be outside a tad more.

12 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yep.  That whole area was bumping last night.  The New Yorkers are back in the city and with the good weather, hitting the streets.  It is really, really good to see.  I am going to try and start changing up my working hours to allow me to be outside a tad more.

The weather yesterday was absolutely perfect around 3:00. I took my laptop out to the Hudson River Park; made working much more tolerable.

The downside to the quick rebound is that virtually all of the rent deals have evaporated. As recently as December the lux apartments in my neighborhood were offering 3 months free rent with no security deposit, or even 6 months free for 2 years. I’m still seeing 1 month free rent, but I’m guessing that goes away soon too. Should have pulled the trigger on something.

10 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

The weather yesterday was absolutely perfect around 3:00. I took my laptop out to the Hudson River Park; made working much more tolerable.

The downside to the quick rebound is that virtually all of the rent deals have evaporated. As recently as December the lux apartments in my neighborhood were offering 3 months free rent with no security deposit, or even 6 months free for 2 years. I’m still seeing 1 month free rent, but I’m guessing that goes away soon too. Should have pulled the trigger on something.

My neighborhood still has some deals.  The overall rates are still lower up here.  Still a lot of empties.  You are downtown, right?  I am in Sutton Place, so I could see that recovering more slowly.  I am going to hold off until end of June, then I am going to approach my landlord with the offer of a 2 year lease, but they have to bring my rate down.  The unit a few floors above mine is going for less than I pay now.