Tell me about New York City

Then just some more fun stuff from our walk.

Last night was the first time in ages I was comfortable walking that far at night with the dogs. Pre-pandemic, I was never nervous, but since lockdown and curfews, fewer folks out and about and a higher number of violent, mentally unstable homeless have meant I don't stray too far from home on foot after dark. Glad to see that reversing. Still saw an increased number of homeless sleeping in doorways, which the city and state need to work on.20210507_204602.jpg20210507_204800.jpg20210507_205853.jpg20210507_210617.jpg20210507_210706.jpg20210507_212030.jpg20210507_212117.jpg20210507_212359.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Welp, tock is a shitshow.  They released the reservations late, then everytime I thought I had one, it was already gone.  How the fuck are people clicking this shit so fast?  Oh well.  On the wait list.  Will keep checking back.

Lol yep, same experience. Got nothing. 

Although I won’t lie, after finally pulling the trigger on an east hamptons place last night, the $700 reservation for EMP was going to sting a little more than usual. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Welp, tock is a shitshow.  They released the reservations late, then everytime I thought I had one, it was already gone.  How the fuck are people clicking this shit so fast?  Oh well.  On the wait list.  Will keep checking back.

same bots that have been snatching up graphics cards and covid appointments

7 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Lol yep, same experience. Got nothing. 

Although I won’t lie, after finally pulling the trigger on an east hamptons place last night, the $700 reservation for EMP was going to sting a little more than usual. 

I was having such a hard time finding a place in the Hamptons who would only let me rent for September, that I said fuck it, and I am going to just stay in the city.

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I was having such a hard time finding a place in the Hamptons who would only let me rent for September, that I said fuck it, and I am going to just stay in the city.

It’s definitely been a shit show this year. The owners of the place we used to stay in South Hampton sold their place during the buying frenzy so it was no longer available. 

Just now, Reynolds Woodcock said:

It’s definitely been a shit show this year. The owners of the place we used to stay in South Hampton sold their place during the buying frenzy so it was no longer available. 

Yeah.  I am good saving my 10k for the month and applying that to my trip to Paris.  I have a smaller inventory of availability as I have to take my two large dogs.  

21 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

We’ve got a 5 bedroom in Long Beach that we are renting out during the summer. Countries are opening up, we’re traveling.

• Hook 'Em 1

The next week or two is going to be fun.  

Catching up with a friend for dinner tonight.  Doing Thai Villa.  Really wish Uncle Boons had made it through COVID.  I like Thai Diner, but Uncle Boons had a more extensive menu.

Tomorrow, we are checking out Glass Ceiling, a new rooftop cocktail place in NOMAD.  

Saturday is a day of self care for me.  I have my normal exercise class in Tribeca at noon (I try and get down there every Saturday - It is spin class, but in the water...a fitness craze that was imported from France and Italy), but before, I go to my normal many/pedi place, and, if I am feeling enterprising early enough, might head down super early so I can get bagel and nova at Russ & Daughters and some coffee from Lazy Llama who are right next to each other close to the nail studio.  After my class, normally I would spend all day schlepping through downtown in various directions, but I need to finish my taxes this weekend.  I know, I know.  Leaving it to the last minute.  

Then Tuesday, a friend is in town.  So we are hitting up Magic Hour for happy hour (Bar on top of the Moxy hotel in Times Square) and then heading down to King for dinner.  

Next Friday, I will be downtown for more fitness classes (Have Pfizer #2 Saturday AM, so want to get my workout in before in case I feel poorly), so want to do dinner somewhere.  Really want to try Don Angie's but it is almost impossible to get into.  Might just walk over to Chinatown and try Bo Ky or go to Little Italy for Lombardi's.  Both are on my list of places I have yet to have been yet and need to hit up.

Saturday, Pfizer #2.  I am expecting it to hit me hard (though maybe I will be lucky), so nothing planned Saturday or Sunday, though I am buying a celebratory present for myself after I get the vaccine and might try to grab breakfast/brunch at Balthazar.  

So far, no plans for Memorial Day weekend, though I imagine it will be spent outside with the dogs at parks.  

12 hours ago, lemonlime said:

Going to the Hamptons this weekend.  Any good restaurant suggestions for Sag Harbor?

Lola is a classic place to go in Sag. Dockside is good for casual seafood and what hot. Personally Le Bilboquet is not my scene, but the deck is pretty nice right on the harbor. I would have suggested the Dock House for scallop rolls, but looks like they are closed.

You are also like a 10 minute drive to Bridge and a 15 minute drive to Water Mill. I think the food at Calissa in Water Mill is great, and they have a nice outdoor space. 

All of this comes with the caveat of you have to be willing to be around Hamptons people. I would go out to lunches during the day and cooking dinner at night.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Lola is a classic place to go in Sag. Dockside is good for casual seafood and what hot. Personally Le Bilboquet is not my scene, but the deck is pretty nice right on the harbor. I would have suggested the Dock House for scallop rolls, but looks like they are closed.

You are also like a 10 minute drive to Bridge and a 15 minute drive to Water Mill. I think the food at Calissa in Water Mill is great, and they have a nice outdoor space. 

All of this comes with the caveat of you have to be willing to be around Hamptons people. I would go out to lunches during the day and cooking dinner at night.

Thanks.  These all looks great.  Dockside sounds perfect. 

Sadly this will be Sat night.  And we're camping (Surly poors, but sleeping a few feet from what's essentially our own private beach) so definitely need casual.

On 5/13/2021 at 10:24 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Thanks for the recs!  We did wind up going to Calissa, and the food was great and the space pretty.  But holy shit on the Hamptons people.   I've never seen so many drunk obnoxious parties in one place.  Should have listened to you about lunch.

On 5/17/2021 at 12:00 PM, HenryJames said:

This is going to be a shitshow.  Cuomo is floundering.  

I was at my stylist yesterday, and he said from today, they were saying if you prove you are fully vaccinated (i.e. you can prove it on the Excelsior Pass or via your Vaccine form), you do not have to wear a mask.  However, if you cannot prove that, mask must stay on.  I have heard a lot of places in New York will be doing that.

I will still wear my mask until at least June 5 which is when I hit the two week date of my second shot (get that this Saturday AM).

Hell, if I am on the subway, I will still wear a fucking mask.  I am not looking forward to all the mouthbreathing tourists who refuse to get vaccinated.  I wish airlines would require vaccine passports to fly.

14 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Trip booked for mid June. First travel for me since December 2019...and NYC it is. @PenelopeWitherspoon we should meet for a drink or something. We’re at the Mark hotel.

PM me your dates and let's get it on the calendar.  I know there are others folks here who have talked about a get together.  I would be game.  

So last Friday night, we went to The Glass Ceiling. Pretty cool rooftop spot (new) in Nomad. Only have beer and wine at the moment, and my friends said the burgers were tasty.

The influences were out taking photos, so I didn't get any good ones, but it's a good place to while away a few hours.

Last night, a friend was in town from Texas, so we met up at Magic Hour (Moxy Times Square rooftop). The decoration is their Rose garden and the photo taking was out of control. It was prime people watching and a reservation is a must. We only had drinks but definitely get the Moira Rose.

Dinner was at King. I love this place. Had an amazing meal with a bottle of Domaine Tempier Bandol Blanc and too many espressos at the end (and chocolate cake which I didn't grab a photo of).

20210518_195135.jpg20210518_195140.jpg20210518_200730.jpg20210518_200734.jpg20210518_203313.jpg20210518_203317.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, so tomorrow, Friday, will head to Tribeca for my Aqua Cycling double header.  Have a paddle class (you are on the bike and using swim paddles and those aqua aerobics dumbbells to create more resistence to focus on upper body) then a restoration class (all about mindful movements and stretching).

Here is the website for the studio.  If you visit or want to try something new, I would highly recommend it.

https://www.aquastudiony.com/home

After than, want to grab dinner.  For those New Yorkers on the board, any recommendations within a mile walk from 78 Franklin in Tribeca?  Last weekend, I walked to Chinatown and Bo Ky.  

Saturday, I have Pfizer #2 on Saturday at 8:45 in the AM.  At long last, it feels like the COVID nightmare is coming to a close.  I am going to pop down to Balthazar for breakfast/brunch, then need to do a bit of shopping in celebration.  My plan is to be home by early afternoon in case I start feeling badly.  Have nothing planned all weekend, so I should do writeups for my website as I am woefully behind, though if I do not have any serious side effects, I will probably try and do some exploring.  I have 10 or so reviews/pieces started, and just no good motivation to finish them.  Sigh.

There are whole neighborhoods in New York City I need to explore.  This is a cool map for anyone looking for one.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/viewer?mid=1_gsxJNfmcGZI4ZL_7LnEHj72YpvgNq-w&hl=en&ll=40.70476551690573%2C-73.97829884999997&z=10

21 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Ok, so tomorrow, Friday, will head to Tribeca for my Aqua Cycling double header.  Have a paddle class (you are on the bike and using swim paddles and those aqua aerobics dumbbells to create more resistence to focus on upper body) then a restoration class (all about mindful movements and stretching).

Here is the website for the studio.  If you visit or want to try something new, I would highly recommend it.

After than, want to grab dinner.  For those New Yorkers on the board, any recommendations within a mile walk from 78 Franklin in Tribeca?  Last weekend, I walked to Chinatown and Bo Ky.  

Saturday, I have Pfizer #2 on Saturday at 8:45 in the AM.  At long last, it feels like the COVID nightmare is coming to a close.  I am going to pop down to Balthazar for breakfast/brunch, then need to do a bit of shopping in celebration.  My plan is to be home by early afternoon in case I start feeling badly.  Have nothing planned all weekend, so I should do writeups for my website as I am woefully behind, though if I do not have any serious side effects, I will probably try and do some exploring.  I have 10 or so reviews/pieces started, and just no good motivation to finish them.  Sigh.

There are whole neighborhoods in New York City I need to explore.  This is a cool map for anyone looking for one.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/viewer?mid=1_gsxJNfmcGZI4ZL_7LnEHj72YpvgNq-w&hl=en&ll=40.70476551690573%2C-73.97829884999997&z=10

Altro Paradiso all day every day.

4 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Altro Paradiso all day every day.

No res available.  I will pop by and see what the wait is once I am out of my class on Friday.  Of course, it will be prime time for dining.  Oh well.  

Trying to come up with my new to do list.  I have hit a lot of the ones off my old one.  Will throw that up here soon.  Interested in if some should be removed or moved up in priority, etc..

New joint, Seaport House, 229 Front st.

On 5/19/2021 at 11:03 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

PM me your dates and let's get it on the calendar.  I know there are others folks here who have talked about a get together.  I would be game.  

Sounds great and will do. Looking forward to it!

In the meantime, what would be your top 5 must eat dinners if you were Mrs Landomatic and me? I know you love Frenchette, but I don’t really love French food all that much (blasphemous I know). Can definitely get down on some Italian though. And all don’t have to be 5 star, but we would probably like 1-2 on that level. TIA

45 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Sounds great and will do. Looking forward to it!

In the meantime, what would be your top 5 must eat dinners if you were Mrs Landomatic and me? I know you love Frenchette, but I don’t really love French food all that much (blasphemous I know). Can definitely get down on some Italian though. And all don’t have to be 5 star, but we would probably like 1-2 on that level. TIA

King is excellent.  It is Southern French/Italian, with a menu that changes daily.  I highly recommend it.  Southern French (Provencal) is excellent.  It actually influenced a lot of American cuisine thanks to Alice Waters and Chez Panisse.  It is basically tied with Frenchette as my favorite New York restaurant, so that has to be on the list.

https://kingrestaurant.nyc/

I would say Le Bernardin, but it is definitely heavy with French influence, though it is all seafood.  We went to celebrate the election outcome, and it was excellent.  We just did the prix fix with bottles, but I would love to go back and do the chef's tasting with the wine (we had someone with us who was not as adventurous, so prix fix it was).  

https://www.le-bernardin.com/

Crown Shy is absolutely excellent.  I would definitely put this on a must try list.  It opened with a bang and I had a very memorable New Year's Eve 2019.  I have been unable to get a reservation since they reopened indoor dining, but I have every intention of going back soon.  

https://www.crownshy.nyc/

For Italian, I really, really liked Rezdora.  I was able to get a table when it first opened, and during the pandemic, did take out from there a few times.  The pasta is absolutely excellent.  Also, Emilio's Ballato is really tasty.  No reservations, and old school on Houston, but I loved it.  Via Carota is also one of the best.  No reservations, and may have to wait, but worth it.  @Reynolds Woodcock would most likely agree.  I also like Scalinatella.  It is on the UES, but I am not sure what its opening status is as it is underground.  I have had some very memorable meals there.  Other Italian places on my list to go to (Which I have not) are Don Angie, Lombardo's (oldest Pizza in NYC), Altro Paradisio, Lilia, I Sodi, etc..  This list is somethink I have consulted, and most of these have made it onto my to try list if I have not been there (https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/best-italian-restaurants-in-new-york).

If you are a big fan of sushi, there are a ton of options in NYC.  I love Cagen (and Tomita which is their certain night counter Omakase) in the East Village, and we went there last summer.  However, I am not sure how they fared, and I have not seen reservations open via Resy in a while.  Next time I am in the East Village, I am going to stop by and see if they are still open.  I have been there a lot.  They fly their fish in from Japan, and it is absolutely amazing.  Another good one is on the UWS is Sushi Nonoka.  It is downstairs in a Korean chicken place, and they have a private back garden.  The sushi is amazing and the price is really reasonable which is refreshing given all the $200+ omakases in the city.  Kura in the East Village is another good one.  There are tons of amazing sushi places, which is great. 

Oh, a lot of really good Korean places have come into the mix.  We did a dinner at Jua (I think I might have posted it upthread), and it was outstanding.  Tasting menu, 7-10 courses.  Definitely a good time.  Have done Atoboy and Her name is Han as well and loved both.  

It all depends on what kind of food you are into.  So much in this city.

43 minutes ago, Underdog said:

First hookup on Surly?  

Well, since Landomatic said we, I assume it is he and his wife.  LOL.  

That bar last night was Mr. Fong's. Divey, but good drinks. Hipster/fashion crowd. We scored a table in the corner and just watched. Could catch theb1st Avenue bus straight home, so that was nice.

Today, after vaccine #2 brunch at Balthazar.

Steak fries is a must here. They also had white asparagus. I'm a little tipsy on one Ramos Fizz and two glasses of wine. Might make the 90 degree weather today more tolerable.

20210522_100514.jpg20210522_101517.jpg20210522_101733.jpg20210522_103322.jpg20210522_104212.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
9 hours ago, mdmost said:
Seeing NYC reopening warms my heart. 

It has been good to see. The traffic is a bit hectic, but jts getting back to normal!

Have they cleared out the new Hamsterdam 8th ave 32-38th st open air drug market or are they waiting for theaters to reopen?

Have they cleared out the new Hamsterdam 8th ave 32-38th st open air drug market or are they waiting for theaters to reopen?

I used to live on 38th and 8th. Is that $1 pizza place still on the corner? Also methadone clinics all in that area.