Tell me about New York City

25 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Went yesterday, pretty cool.

It is on my list.  Trying to figure out things to do for the next week and weekend.  Most likely will put in a lot of hours before Friday, but I know there is a Super Blood Flower Moon/Lunar Eclipse on May 26, so would be good to get out and get photos that night.  Have booked a class at my studio Friday at 5:30, so might try and hit up Terroir afterwards for some drinks off their very interesting wine list before heading to Crown Shy for a 9:30 reservation.  

Have nothing planned the rest of the weekend.  Waiting to see what the weather looks like.  If it is shitty on Saturday, I might make it a museum day.  

On 5/21/2021 at 12:44 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

King is excellent.  It is Southern French/Italian, with a menu that changes daily.  I highly recommend it.  Southern French (Provencal) is excellent.  It actually influenced a lot of American cuisine thanks to Alice Waters and Chez Panisse.  It is basically tied with Frenchette as my favorite New York restaurant, so that has to be on the list.

https://kingrestaurant.nyc/

I would say Le Bernardin, but it is definitely heavy with French influence, though it is all seafood.  We went to celebrate the election outcome, and it was excellent.  We just did the prix fix with bottles, but I would love to go back and do the chef's tasting with the wine (we had someone with us who was not as adventurous, so prix fix it was).  

https://www.le-bernardin.com/

Crown Shy is absolutely excellent.  I would definitely put this on a must try list.  It opened with a bang and I had a very memorable New Year's Eve 2019.  I have been unable to get a reservation since they reopened indoor dining, but I have every intention of going back soon.  

https://www.crownshy.nyc/

For Italian, I really, really liked Rezdora.  I was able to get a table when it first opened, and during the pandemic, did take out from there a few times.  The pasta is absolutely excellent.  Also, Emilio's Ballato is really tasty.  No reservations, and old school on Houston, but I loved it.  Via Carota is also one of the best.  No reservations, and may have to wait, but worth it.  @Reynolds Woodcock would most likely agree.  I also like Scalinatella.  It is on the UES, but I am not sure what its opening status is as it is underground.  I have had some very memorable meals there.  Other Italian places on my list to go to (Which I have not) are Don Angie, Lombardo's (oldest Pizza in NYC), Altro Paradisio, Lilia, I Sodi, etc..  This list is somethink I have consulted, and most of these have made it onto my to try list if I have not been there (https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/best-italian-restaurants-in-new-york).

If you are a big fan of sushi, there are a ton of options in NYC.  I love Cagen (and Tomita which is their certain night counter Omakase) in the East Village, and we went there last summer.  However, I am not sure how they fared, and I have not seen reservations open via Resy in a while.  Next time I am in the East Village, I am going to stop by and see if they are still open.  I have been there a lot.  They fly their fish in from Japan, and it is absolutely amazing.  Another good one is on the UWS is Sushi Nonoka.  It is downstairs in a Korean chicken place, and they have a private back garden.  The sushi is amazing and the price is really reasonable which is refreshing given all the $200+ omakases in the city.  Kura in the East Village is another good one.  There are tons of amazing sushi places, which is great. 

Oh, a lot of really good Korean places have come into the mix.  We did a dinner at Jua (I think I might have posted it upthread), and it was outstanding.  Tasting menu, 7-10 courses.  Definitely a good time.  Have done Atoboy and Her name is Han as well and loved both.  

It all depends on what kind of food you are into.  So much in this city.

Wow @PenelopeWitherspoon that list looks amazing.  Thanks so much for putting it together!

Unfortunately, we found out yesterday that we have to postpone our trip.  Damn work obligation getting in the way of our fun.

Soooo...back to the drawing board.  July not looking great either, and don't really want to come in August (I don't think).  Might be looking at September now, which seems like forever away.

Either way, will definitely keep you posted and we will grab that drink(s) for sure. Thanks again for all the recs.

Well, since Landomatic said we, I assume it is he and his wife.  LOL.  

Hahaha, yeah will have Mrs Landomatic along for sure.  But I think the two of you will get along swimmingly.  She's a lot cooler than me...trust me.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, harpercollins said:

any restaurant recommendations for my 16 year old hipster-wannabe daughter and me for 2 weeks away? she's decently adventurous, but for her the decor/ambience will be more important than the food. 

Tyger.  The decor is outstanding and the food is really solid.  I went for one of my birthday celebrations in January when they only had outdoor seating.  

La Mercerie.  Solid French bistro fare, gorgeous inside where you can buy the plates you eat off of (in the Roman and Williams building).  The chicken I had last time was outstanding. They also do a solid crepe. The chef here is Daniel Rose's wife, Marie-Aude Rose.

Pietro Nolita.  Never eaten here.  Inside is completely pink.  It is on the list of most instagram worthy restaurants in NYC.

While We Were Young.  Never eaten here, but it is only list.  Another than is on every instagram worthy list.

Thai Villa.  Ate here recently.  The food was very good.  They have three menus, the first two are what I would order off of.  The third is just regular thai food.  They have a nice outdoor set up, but the inside of the restaurant is stunning.

Veronika (if it is reopened).  This is the big restaurant in the Fotografiska museum.  This is also the last meal I had before NYC went into lock down. The food is very good.  Think European.  The inside of the restaurant is gorgeous.  

Le Coucou (if it is reopened).  This is a splurge. This is Daniel Rose's place in NYC.  I have been here 2-3 times.  The Quenelles are outstanding and worth a try.  The restaurant inside is stunning.

I tried to keep the choices on the less expensive side, though Le Coucou is pretty pricy (the lunch deal is $50 or so for two courses, so not too bad), but places like Gabriel Kreuther, The Modern, and Le Bernardin have fantastic food and beautiful spaces.  I just didn't know if that would be a place a 16 year old would appreciate.

Now, most of these are more on the posh, not hipster side.  If she is truly a Hipster wannabe, get her in Williamsburg along Berry Street.  :D

• Like 2

12 hours ago, harpercollins said:

any restaurant recommendations for my 16 year old hipster-wannabe daughter and me for 2 weeks away? she's decently adventurous, but for her the decor/ambience will be more important than the food. 

I've never been a girl and it's been a decade and a half since I was 16, but below are some thoughts in lower Manhattan that skew a little more to the "hip" side than the fancy side, and won't run you $500. This list will however require you to be around people in their mid-20s. 

• Buvette - small French place in West Village with terrific food. Really tough to get in for weekend brunch, but otherwise not too bad.
  • Thai Diner - Nolita is a hip area and this place is great. You might have to wait awhile, but the area is cool to walk around. And if it's too long, just walk over and get in line for Prince Street pizza. Or maybe just do this anyway.  
  • Decoy - underground bougie peking duck place in the west village. I brought my 16 year old niece here and I think I saw her smile over her iphone once or twice. 
  •  Cervo's - this honestly may be too adventurous and out of the way (in the lower, lower east side), but it is one of my favorite places in the city and is in a hip area. Again, no reservations, so you may have to wait on a curb with your daughter for 30 minutes while drunk 27 year olds walk around you. If you do this, I suggest walking around the corner for a slice at Scarr's pizza after. 
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I've never been a girl and it's been a decade and a half since I was 16, but below are some thoughts in lower Manhattan that skew a little more to the "hip" side than the fancy side, and won't run you $500. This list will however require you to be around people in their mid-20s. 

• Buvette - small French place in West Village with terrific food. Really tough to get in for weekend brunch, but otherwise not too bad.
  • Thai Diner - Nolita is a hip area and this place is great. You might have to wait awhile, but the area is cool to walk around. And if it's too long, just walk over and get in line for Prince Street pizza. Or maybe just do this anyway.  
  • Decoy - underground bougie peking duck place in the west village. I brought my 16 year old niece here and I think I saw her smile over her iphone once or twice. 
  •  Cervo's - this honestly may be too adventurous and out of the way (in the lower, lower east side), but it is one of my favorite places in the city and is in a hip area. Again, no reservations, so you may have to wait on a curb with your daughter for 30 minutes while drunk 27 year olds walk around you. If you do this, I suggest walking around the corner for a slice at Scarr's pizza after. 

I like Buvette.  It has made a few appearances on this thread.  I love their outdoor set up.  

Thai Diner is also really good.  Inside looks cool as well.

Cervo's is on my list of places to try.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I like Buvette.  It has made a few appearances on this thread.  I love their outdoor set up.  

Thai Diner is also really good.  Inside looks cool as well.

Cervo's is on my list of places to try.

Pre-pandemic, a perfect Saturday night for me would have been Ten Bells for wine followed by dinner at Cervo's or Wildair, followed by a late night slice at Scarr's. Now I feel like I rarely go east of 7th avenue.  

Just now, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Pre-pandemic, a perfect Saturday night for me would have been Ten Bells for wine followed by dinner at Cervo's or Wildair, followed by a late night slice at Scarr's. Now I feel like I rarely go east of 7th avenue.  

Ten Bells and Terroir on my list of wine bars to hit up.  Also, need try out Air.  

I am waiting on Angie Mar's new place to open as well as One White Street.  Both promise to be very good.  

I have an exercise class downtown on Friday.  I might hit up Terroir before making my 9:30 res at Crown Shy.

8 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Oh another one to consider is Tokyo Record Bar. I haven’t been post-pandemic, but it’s an underground place right in the middle of the village that has a big record collection, and every guest writes a request at the beginning of the night with all being played throughout dinner. It’s a fun time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Have some great photos from Crown Shy on Friday night.  Had my double exercise class. The weather was shit, so walked to Terroir and had a tasting with ossau iraty and sauccison sec.  My dinner res at Crown Shy was at 9:30, and it was really coming down, so grabbed an Uber and went over there.  The meal was great, but I was full halfway through the main course, so no dessert for me.  Will go into detail on what all was ordered, but Crown Shy is an excellent meal.  Also, forgot how cool the restaurant itself is.  Very trendy inside.  Almost clubby to be fair. 

On 5/30/2021 at 12:40 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Have some great photos from Crown Shy on Friday night.  Had my double exercise class. The weather was shit, so walked to Terroir and had a tasting with ossau iraty and sauccison sec.  My dinner res at Crown Shy was at 9:30, and it was really coming down, so grabbed an Uber and went over there.  The meal was great, but I was full halfway through the main course, so no dessert for me.  Will go into detail on what all was ordered, but Crown Shy is an excellent meal.  Also, forgot how cool the restaurant itself is.  Very trendy inside.  Almost clubby to be fair. 

Coming in for next weekend.  Wife and I usually explore more out of the way places but she's all about showing off her things and dressing up this tiime.  Will go with some cliche over the top touristy spots, ha.  Beauty and Essex Friday and Cathedrale Saturday night followed by a round of cocktails at the lounge downstairs.  Open to more 'local' type spots for brunch and lunch.  Get in Thur 2 and leave Sun night.  We love SoHo, staying at Crosby Street Hotel there.  Alternate between SoHO and Baccarat but summers we definitely lean SoHo.  Nothing like the energy of NYC, hear it's the first weekend all open, couldn't stay away...

Coming in for next weekend.  Wife and I usually explore more out of the way places but she's all about showing off her things and dressing up this tiime.  Will go with some cliche over the top touristy spots, ha.  Beauty and Essex Friday and Cathedrale Saturday night followed by a round of cocktails at the lounge downstairs.  Open to more 'local' type spots for brunch and lunch.  Get in Thur 2 and leave Sun night.  We love SoHo, staying at Crosby Street Hotel there.  Alternate between SoHO and Baccarat but summers we definitely lean SoHo.  Nothing like the energy of NYC, hear it's the first weekend all open, couldn't stay away...
I'd recommend trading in Beauty and Essex and Cathederale for places that have much better food but still require you to dress up.. Crown Shy is very trendy, a place to get dressed up, and show off based on my return visit last Friday even in the downpour. Oh, and the food is amazing. Also definitely in the get dressed up and show off camp is Le Bernardin, and it's one of the best restaurants in the world. EMP would be another, but those reservations are gonezo. I like Gabriel Kreuther as well. Food is great, and everything I've been there, people have definitely been dressed up.

Also, Bouloud just opened Le Pavillion.

As for smaller places to explore and discover, you can never go wrong wandering through Chinatown and picking a spot. There is actually a good Eater list of places in Chinatown. I recommend taking a look at that.

East Village and the LES have all sorts of things as well.

Also, love the Crosby Street Hotel.

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I'd recommend trading in Beauty and Essex and Cathederale for places that have much better food but still require you to dress up.. Crown Shy is very trendy, a place to get dressed up, and show off based on my return visit last Friday even in the downpour. Oh, and the food is amazing. Also definitely in the get dressed up and show off camp is Le Bernardin, and it's one of the best restaurants in the world. EMP would be another, but those reservations are gonezo. I like Gabriel Kreuther as well. Food is great, and everything I've been there, people have definitely been dressed up.

As for smaller places to explore and discover, you can never go wrong wandering through Chinatown and picking a spot. There is actually a good Eater list of places in Chinatown. I recommend taking a look at that.

I guess it’s because we haven’t done these places.  We have been to GK and Le Bernardin so many times.  But I’ll look into Bouloud/Crown Shy and change at least one of the nights.  Appreciate the feedback!

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I guess it’s because we haven’t done these places.  We have been to GK and Le Bernardin so many times.  But I’ll look into Bouloud/Crown Shy and change at least one of the nights.  Appreciate the feedback!

No worries.  I do not think you can go wrong with Crown Shy.  And I figured you would have been to GK and LB, but those are still some of the best in the city.  Both Beauty and Essex and Cathederale are by the Tao group, which IMO is overrated. They do beautiful spaces, the food is ok, but the last Tao group place I went to was Magic Hour on top of the Moxy in Times Square.  Space was cool, view was great, drinks were good but overpriced (Dante cocktails are cheaper and higher quality), and the Instagram influencers were fucking annoying.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

Also, I have been working on this map.  This is a neighborhood map with places posted in this blog (http://daytoninmanhattan.blogspot.com/).  This is a good way to plan walking tours in Manhattan.  I have only completed the posts from 2010 (I am working my way forward), so still a lot to go.  But, thought I would share the work in progress.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1lsqnZgDfMWjAkvagEE6BuCHkUNDOek1f&usp=sharing

• Like 2

Also, I have been working on this map.  This is a neighborhood map with places posted in this blog (http://daytoninmanhattan.blogspot.com/).  This is a good way to plan walking tours in Manhattan.  I have only completed the posts from 2010 (I am working my way forward), so still a lot to go.  But, thought I would share the work in progress.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1lsqnZgDfMWjAkvagEE6BuCHkUNDOek1f&usp=sharing

Damn fine work. I fully expect to utilize this. Can we pin this to the top?

I met a guy once that had a list of every bar in the city with plans to visit all of them. Met him at this wacky bikini places above a bodega on Park Ave or Mad . Oddest place ever.

1 minute ago, midtown said:

Damn fine work. I fully expect to utilize this. Can we pin this to the top?

I met a guy once that had a list of every bar in the city with plans to visit all of them. Met him at this wacky bikini places above a bodega on Park Ave or Mad . Oddest place ever.

Yeah, I am working on Best Cocktail Bars in the City and also a restaurants one as well.  But this one is going first.  I will also keep it on my blog.  I am finally writing again, and should have a lot of content start coming out soon.  It is actually ridiculous how much I have been out and about.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

No worries.  I do not think you can go wrong with Crown Shy.  And I figured you would have been to GK and LB, but those are still some of the best in the city.  Both Beauty and Essex and Cathederale are by the Tao group, which IMO is overrated. They do beautiful spaces, the food is ok, but the last Tao group place I went to was Magic Hour on top of the Moxy in Times Square.  Space was cool, view was great, drinks were good but overpriced (Dante cocktails are cheaper and higher quality), and the Instagram influencers were fucking annoying.  

Ha, going as a favor to Jon Schwartz and those guys.  We invested early and did pretty well w them.  That’s why I kind of described the original picks as a mulligan.  And no IG or any social media for wife and I.  Fuck all that.  

What do you think for brunch?

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Ha, going as a favor to Jon Schwartz and those guys.  We invested early and did pretty well w them.  That’s why I kind of described the original picks as a mulligan.  And no IG or any social media for wife and I.  Fuck all that.  

What do you think for brunch?

Hey, I applaud their success.  And don't get me wrong, the spaces are generally gorgeous.  So spend one night at one, and then go somewhere where the food is amazing.  Life is too short for meh.

Balthazar is an old favorite of mine for brunch, even though I always get the steak frites.  Along the same lines are La Mercerie and Lafayette.  Both are great for brunch.  I went to Dante last Sunday in the rain, and their cocktail program is amazing.  The one is West Village is also quite good, and different enough that they are both worth a visit.  

I am actually looking for a brunch place on Sunday since it sounds like my friends want to meet up later to head to Belmont.  If you are willing to head out of Manhattan, Chez Ma Tante in Greenpoint is supposed to be amazing.

Here are the two lists I am perusing while trying to make a decision. Trying to go somewhere I have not been before.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/restaurants/best-brunch-in-nyc

https://ny.eater.com/maps/best-brunch-nyc 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I always drink on Amtrak coming / going ... 

Yeah, the LIRR has made it pretty explicit that no alcohol shall be allowed on the train to Belmont.  We will probably bring flasks, but need to get the disposable ones because they will search you at the Racetrack.  Thus my reason for going to brunch before.  :)

9 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, the LIRR has made it pretty explicit that no alcohol shall be allowed on the train to Belmont.  We will probably bring flasks, but need to get the disposable ones because they will search you at the Racetrack.  Thus my reason for going to brunch before.  :)

I totally missed you were taking LIRR, my bad! 

On 6/2/2021 at 6:43 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Crown Shy set tonight.  Excited 

Also at least some traffic is back - and I love it!

We were here in Oct and March, talk about coming back...casually were looking to steal something to rent.  Not happening.  

22 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Crown Shy set tonight.  Excited 

Also at least some traffic is back - and I love it!

We were here in Oct and March, talk about coming back...casually were looking to steal something to rent.  Not happening.  

Awesome.  I love Crown Shy.  The food is so good.  I am still upset I got so full so quickly last time.  You would think a double exercise class would have allowed me to splurge a bit.  Oh well.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Awesome.  I love Crown Shy.  The food is so good.  I am still upset I got so full so quickly last time.  You would think a double exercise class would have allowed me to splurge a bit.  Oh well.

I got you lol.  Cocktails look legit too.  Also a plug for Crosby Street hotel.  I know you like it too, but anyone that wants to be in SoHo, if you can splurge a bit, it’s worth it.  

15 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The Cantaloupe & Chamomile White Negroni is really damned good.

20210528_214859.jpg

Wow.  Will give more details later but 5 stars from me.  The octopus/chorizo app was one of the best dishes I’ve ever had and the cocktails were outstanding.  Up there with any place we’ve been in NYC and that’s saying something.  Appreciate the suggestion!

Still keeping on my 16 hr fast so I’ll kill off 2 more hours then have some breakfast.  Equinox soho next...

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Wow.  Will give more details later but 5 stars from me.  The octopus/chorizo app was one of the best dishes I’ve ever had and the cocktails were outstanding.  Up there with any place we’ve been in NYC and that’s saying something.  Appreciate the suggestion!

Still keeping on my 16 hr fast so I’ll kill off 2 more hours then have some breakfast.  Equinox soho next...

Good to know on the Octopus and Chorizo app.  I almost ordered that last time, but went with other things, which were also absolutely amazing. 

8 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

$19.  All their cocktails are $19.  They are higher than average, but not the most expensive by far.  

For those not familiar with nyc this is a fair price for a good cocktail. The great GREAT Dorothy Parker from Algonquin’s Blue Bar (my fav in the city) is $32 and I’ve had that too many times to count. I think the most I’ve paid was in the $50s for some rooftop Chelsea hotel drink. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 1

For those not familiar with nyc this is a fair price for a good cocktail. The great GREAT Dorothy Parker from Algonquin’s Blue Bar (my fav in the city) is $32 and I’ve had that too many times to count. I think the most I’ve paid was in the $50s for some rooftop Chelsea hotel drink. 
Yeah, i paid $15 for drinks at a nice place in Denver last week. $19 in NYC is not bad at all.