Tell me about New York City

Holy shit, it was hot this weekend.  Belmont was fun.  Winning always makes it better.  Yesterday, went to Evil Twin Brewing and then to Nowadays.  They had a lot of DJs spinning.  That crowd is eclectic to say the least, but found a shady table and I forgot how easy Tecate and lime goes down in the heat.  Also, they had Evil Twins Bikini Sour, which might be my summer beer.  After things wound down around 9, headed back into the city with our group for some late night Chinese food at Deluxe Green Bo.  You can tell things still are not back to normal as the late night Chinatown places still are not open late (Green Bo is open until 10:30 and we got there at 10, so just in time).  Cannot wait for NYC to be back to the city that never sleeps.  

New York Magazine has a big article on the reopening of the city.  

https://www.grubstreet.com/2021/06/best-new-restaurants-nyc.html#_ga=2.247347012.1394767188.1623071404-793527757.1620741699

Already have some of these on my to try list (Kokomo, Dr. Clark, Yellow Rose), but will do a deeper dive on it after I finish some work stuff this AM.

Lots of Museums that have been closed are finally opening back up.  The Cooper Hewitt - Smithsonian Design Museum and the Neue Galerie are both opening up on Thursday.  

The National Museum of the American Indian in the Alexander Hamilton Custom House at 1 Bowling Green is opening on June 23.  

It is Pride Month with the big events the weekend of June 25-27 (the weekend I am in Austin for a baby shower), but there are events all month.  

It is really getting hopping now.  

I am trying to plan my weekend, and there are so many things to do this weekend, I am really torn.  After the heat of last weekend, this weekend, with highs in the low to mid 70s will be absolutely amazing.  Already have some plans for the 18th in the books, and am trying to fill up the rest of the weekend as well.    

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, Dame is now open.  This article is really interesting.  Especially about the lack of front of house staff.

https://blog.resy.com/2021/06/everything-you-need-to-know-about-dame-now-open-in-manhattan/

I have a reservation here for 6/30 (it is booked up), so will report back.  Also, have Fulgrances on 6/18.

It has been on my list, and it is really hard to get into.

With good reason. There’s one table of 4, one table of 2, and seating for six at bars (3 sets of 2). I would think the outdoor experience would be extremely disappointing comparatively—the food is good but not amazing it’s more about the experience.

Snacks on the table when seated were spicy pickles, togarashi popcorn and spicy pretzels. There’s no hard liquor but they have a big sake selection, champagne, red and white wine, and one beer (maybe called Orion?).

First course cucumber gazpacho
Second course tuna nigiri
Third course creamed sesame spinach with mushrooms
Fourth course can’t remember
Fifth course giant prawns (2 each) with coconut sticky rice
Sixth An amazing Panna cotta with strawberry lime and mint
Seventh course a slice of pizza

After the flight at Terroir, went to Crown Shy for a late dinner.  Started with a cocktail, the Canteloupe and Chamomile White Negroni.

i-hQ6T36q-S.jpg

They bring out house baked pull apart bread for the table.  I am not a big bread person, but this bread is always really good.

i-2NnmNMM-S.jpg

Wine for the evening was an orange wine from Greece.  I really liked this wine, and will be trying to obtain some for my own at home enjoyment.

i-zLw2wRL-S.jpg

i-nWDFcsx-S.jpg

First course was the Tuna Crudo with Husk Cherry, Pistachio, and Chili

i-h6xqFbf-S.jpg

Second course was the charred carrots and razor clams.  The clams are under the foam, and oh were they tasty.

i-nNCb4hV-S.jpg

For a main, I went with their famous dish, the grilled citrus marinated chicken with hot sauce.  The first time I was at Crown Shy, it was NYE 2019 (going into 2020) and they served this, but on that 5 course menu, I think they only served a quarter chicken.  The normal menu dish is half a chicken (so definitely enough to share).  As usual, a ton of flavor, and the hot sauce actually has quite the kick.

i-pszpHpj-S.jpg

I was so full (I could not finish the main), that I did not go with a dessert.  

All in all, an excellent meal.  I know @ChiTownDoc was there recently as well and had a good time.  This place melds trendy seen and be seen with excellent food and drink.  I highly recommend putting it on your to do list.

• Drool 1

I'm back in New York after being on vacation for a bit and it's really starting to feel close to normal. Went to Nitehawk to see Quiet Place Part II and ate popcorn with no mask, and the next day sat at the bar at Via Carota for the first time in over a year. Drank way, way too much wine at Anton's on Monday night and hit my local dive bar after, which was filled with people like old times. 

My FIL is a big Springsteen fan, and my wife got us all tickets to go see his show this summer. 

Trying King for the first time tomorrow.

46 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I'm back in New York after being on vacation for a bit and it's really starting to feel close to normal. Went to Nitehawk to see Quiet Place Part II and ate popcorn with no mask, and the next day sat at the bar at Via Carota for the first time in over a year. Drank way, way too much wine at Anton's on Monday night and hit my local dive bar after, which was filled with people like old times. 

My FIL is a big Springsteen fan, and my wife got us all tickets to go see his show this summer. 

Trying King for the first time tomorrow.

We have tix for Springsteen as well.  It will be the first time I am seeing him.

Let me know how you like King.  It is one of my two favorites (along with Frenchette).  

On 6/17/2021 at 12:22 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

We have tix for Springsteen as well.  It will be the first time I am seeing him.

Let me know how you like King.  It is one of my two favorites (along with Frenchette).  

King was awesome. My food photo skills are lacking , but everything was great. The grilled fennel that accompanied the scallops was my favorite thing I tasted.

020387FD-46C9-4045-B713-3AC552CBA372.jpeg

8BD2AEA3-C4B6-4933-99BF-7DDD66561BBC.jpeg

72FF6291-5396-49FA-867B-5B006682C460.jpeg

433BE770-161D-45AB-A7BF-10FB6F0C1086.jpeg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, elfenix said:

How much of a shit show is McSorley's at opening?

At 11 AM on a weekday, probably not too bad.  I have always been able to get a seat at a table whenever I have been.  And they have outdoor seating as well.

They open at 1 on a Sunday.  When you coming up?

Remember, bring cash.

At 11 AM on a weekday, probably not too bad.  I have always been able to get a seat at a table whenever I have been.  And they have outdoor seating as well.
They open at 1 on a Sunday.  When you coming up?
Remember, bring cash.
Popping in for a day right now. Want to get a slice?

17 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Popping in for a day right now. Want to get a slice?

Damn it!  Unfortunately, I can't.  I was supposed to be flying into Austin this weekend to visit my parents and for a friend's baby shower (1st baby at 43!), but I have a stomach bug and have had for the last 2-3 days.  So I am just trying to kick this thing.  Rain check!

Got back from NYC this past weekend.  Alice Neel show was good and the Met knocks my socks off every time I visit it.  The Tenement tour was underwhelming.  Maybe next time, I'll do a walking tour.  Didn't see the Neu museum like I wanted but spent some time in Central Park just chilling and the American Museum of Natural History which is always great.  Strange how the bottom floor of the Natural History is a Covid clinic, but oh well.  Didn't do the Highline and skipped the Richter show in Chelsea, but have seen more than enough of his work this lifetime.    Mainly, just hung out, walked a bunch like the Williamsburg bridge and have now gone to Lombardo's, Grimaldi's and Johns and I still don't get what's great about NYC pizza. Had Indian at Angaar which was meh.  Had a great salad (rainbow bowl) at Bluestone but a coffee, salad and tip ran $30, which was the same as my train ticket. Maybe should have gone to a steak house instead of drinking early and often.  Always nice to visit--lots to see and can't wait to get back. Think I'll read this thread next time for. options. 

Was there last week as well.

Ate at Pio Pio. Several locations around. Very authentic Peruvian food.

Had Joe's pizza at 1455 Broadway and it was great. Did a bunch of touristy stuff with the family and in-laws. 

Lots of stuff closed on Tuesday and Wednesday like the 9/11 museum and top of One World so plan your days out before you go.

43 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

It appears my son may be moving there and I'm apt to leave California to join him.  Of course, I'd like a lot more house for my money and the plan is to be within a decent commute to NYC.  I'd visit there every other weekend or so.  Was looking at Philly main line burbs or possibly Jersey.

You can get a standalone house in Riverdale (Bronx) which is right north of Manhattan.  I have actually looked there and found great options for 700-900k.  I also talked to some people at an event who moved to Bronxville, which is not in NYC and not in Yonkers, so there is the advantage of no city tax at all.  It is 30 minutes into Grand Central on Metro North, which a monthly pass runs 250.  

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

You can get a standalone house in Riverdale (Bronx) which is right north of Manhattan.  I have actually looked there and found great options for 700-900k.  I also talked to some people at an event who moved to Bronxville, which is not in NYC and not in Yonkers, so there is the advantage of no city tax at all.  It is 30 minutes into Grand Central on Metro North, which a monthly pass runs 250.  

How are schools in Riverdale?  I can actually do a townhouse too.  I think JC could be in that 700-900 range but crap schools unless you get your kid in McNair.

• 2 weeks later...
NYC can’t be on page 2!
After vegas needed a nice date weekend w the wife.  So last second NYC! 

And we are at…Crown Shy.  Just rename the thread already.  

It really is excellent.

I’ve got reservations this month for Dame and Angie Mar’s new place, Les Trois Chevaux.

Today I’m going to schlepp around Soho and the LES after my exercise class at nine until my mani/pedi appt in the afternoon. Might pop by the new Brooklyn Kolache in the village right after my workout class too. Then I’ll do an early dinner at Ten Bells.

Tomorrow is exercise in AM then Italia football at San Matteo on the UES.

Wednesday is Springsteen on Broadway. It’ll be a good week.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It really is excellent.

I’ve got reservations this month for Dame and Angie Mar’s new place, Les Trois Chevaux.

Today I’m going to schlepp around Soho and the LES after my exercise class at nine until my mani/pedi appt in the afternoon. Might pop by the new Brooklyn Kolache in the village right after my workout class too. Then I’ll do an early dinner at Ten Bells.

Tomorrow is exercise in AM then Italia football at San Matteo on the UES.

Wednesday is Springsteen on Broadway. It’ll be a good week.

Jealous of Dame. I still haven't been able to get anything before 10:30 pm yet. Ten Bells is one of my favorite bars (at least it was pre-pandemic). 

I came back to town yesterday after spending a few weeks in east hampton. Hit Via Carota last night and Golden Diner this morning. Taking my father in law to Springsteen tonight, with an 11pm Fish Cheeks reservation afterwards.  

Crown Shy was fantastic again - recommend later rez (9:30 for us) and a weekend for it to feel lively.  First time was Thursday and earlier so felt like an after work crowd - FiDi so makes sense.  

Walked a metric shit ton today.  Managed to get my 16 hr fast in so I can be a pig again later.  Did Central Park and some shopping.  Turned out to be fantastic out…

Staying at mandarin oriental and would highly recommend to anyone.  We usually do smaller boutique type places (Crosby Street last time) or Baccarat…probably still our favorite.  

Equinox Columbus Circle now then Carbone!

Jealous of Dame. I still haven't been able to get anything before 10:30 pm yet. Ten Bells is one of my favorite bars (at least it was pre-pandemic). 
I came back to town yesterday after spending a few weeks in east hampton. Hit Via Carota last night and Golden Diner this morning. Taking my father in law to Springsteen tonight, with an 11pm Fish Cheeks reservation afterwards.  
I lucked into a 9:15 this coming Friday. I can do an exercise class, go drink some wine at Terroir, then head to Dame. It works.

At Ten Bells now. It's hopping. Need to get a group to come so I can get to the bottle list

Also, I love Fish Cheeks. Tell me how Bruce is. We are there Wednesday.

Crown Shy was fantastic again - recommend later rez (9:30 for us) and a weekend for it to feel lively.  First time was Thursday and earlier so felt like an after work crowd - FiDi so makes sense.  

Walked a metric shit ton today.  Managed to get my 16 hr fast in so I can be a pig again later.  Did Central Park and some shopping.  Turned out to be fantastic out…
Staying at mandarin oriental and would highly recommend to anyone.  We usually do smaller boutique type places (Crosby Street last time) or Baccarat…probably still our favorite.  
Equinox Columbus Circle now then Carbone!

Last time I went was a Friday at 9 or 9:30. Agree on the atmosphere. It's my go to recommendation for special nights out at the moment.

I walked and shopped in Soho post workout. I'll sleep well tonight.

We got bored and drove up to eat at Dhamska tonight. It was so good, NYC Indian food is notoriously shit so it was nice to have legit Indian there. 

But the staggering number of empty storefronts in midtown (we walked around) is … something. Times Square is always best to be avoided but it’s like the early 90s again. We only walked through the southern tier and glad we didn’t get shot or mugged, it’s that wild still.

Edited by The Ace of Aces

7 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
7 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Also, I love Fish Cheeks. Tell me how Bruce is. We are there Wednesday.

Bruce was fucking awesome. I’m too young to be a huge fan, but it was really an incredible show. I would go back

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

We got bored and drove up to eat at Dhamska tonight. It was so good, NYC Indian food is notoriously shit so it was nice to have legit Indian there. 

But the staggering number of empty storefronts in midtown (we walked around) is … something. Times Square is always best to be avoided but it’s like the early 90s again. We only walked through the southern tier and glad we didn’t get shot or mugged, it’s that wild still.

Yeah, there are a lot of empty storefronts, but some of that was happening prior to COVID as rents had gotten astronomical (see Barneys' bankruptcy).  Soho and the UES were seeing similar things, though thanks to the Pandemic, some places have expanded a bit and taken advantage of great lease deals in Soho/on Madison.  So things looking a tad bit better there.  

We shall see what kind of investment the city and state are going to come up with to help entice new business, but it seems like restaurants and bars are opening, or for some, coming back when we thought the closure was permanant.  We shall see what happens.  

Also, Times Square is AWFUL.  I am only there if I am going to a show, or have to walk through to get somewhere.  Too many people, too many tourist traps.  It is terrible.

On Dhamska, it, Tamarind, and Adda in LIC are all on my list of Indian places in NYC to try.  

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, there are a lot of empty storefronts, but some of that was happening prior to COVID as rents had gotten astronomical (see Barneys' bankruptcy).  Soho and the UES were seeing similar things, though thanks to the Pandemic, some places have expanded a bit and taken advantage of great lease deals in Soho/on Madison.  So things looking a tad bit better there.  

We shall see what kind of investment the city and state are going to come up with to help entice new business, but it seems like restaurants and bars are opening, or for some, coming back when we thought the closure was permanant.  We shall see what happens.  

Also, Times Square is AWFUL.  I am only there if I am going to a show, or have to walk through to get somewhere.  Too many people, too many tourist traps.  It is terrible.

On Dhamska, it, Tamarind, and Adda in LIC are all on my list of Indian places in NYC to try.  

We had driving up twice previously during the pandemic but focused in lower Manhattan or the upper west side, avoided anything from say 21st to 70th. Things are much better in those areas, which makes sense as people love ther and it’s not just empty tower after empty tower.  

Tamarind is probably the best alternative place but I liked their old location for better than the current. Dhaka used to be great - like a decade ago.  

Edited by The Ace of Aces

How are schools in Riverdale?  I can actually do a townhouse too.  I think JC could be in that 700-900 range but crap schools unless you get your kid in McNair.

Not the best and most send their kids to private. I would go up to Larchmont. There are very good schools there. Scarsdale is definitely more pricey but has elite schools.

Both are adjacent to the Metro North commuter line.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ok, so I do not have kids.  And your little girl is really young.  However, I think a good place for all the kids is the Central Park Model Boat pond.  That is at 74th and 5th Ave.  What is nice about that is that you can walk straight down 74th street to 3rd Avenue and hit JG Melon for what is one of the best burgers in NYC.  I went there for lunch today, and it did not disappoint.  it is cash only, but it is a fun atmosphere, IMO.  And I saw lots of families there.  

Serendipity 3 is at 60th between 2nd and 3rd Avenue.  It is a must with kids.  https://serendipity3.com/

Oh, they opened a Harry Potter Store at 935 Broadway.  https://www.harrypotterstore.com/

The Natural History Museum (west side of Central Park) just opened the new hall of gems, which is supposed to be outstanding.  As for a place to eat around there, there are tons of places along Amsterdam Ave.

Pizza is a must as well.  You could do Lombardi's which is in Soho and the oldest Pizza in Manhattan.  My personal favorite at the moment is San Matteo Pizza and Espresso bar on at E 90th and 2nd Ave.  Really, really good neopolitan style pizza.  

Oh, and on 2nd Ave at 86th is Schaller & Weber.  They have a sausage stand next to the butcher shop for really, really good "Hot Dogs". 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Ok, so I do not have kids.  And your little girl is really young.  However, I think a good place for all the kids is the Central Park Model Boat pond.  That is at 74th and 5th Ave.  What is nice about that is that you can walk straight down 74th street to 3rd Avenue and hit JG Melon for what is one of the best burgers in NYC.  I went there for lunch today, and it did not disappoint.  it is cash only, but it is a fun atmosphere, IMO.  And I saw lots of families there.  

Serendipity 3 is at 60th between 2nd and 3rd Avenue.  It is a must with kids.  https://serendipity3.com/

Oh, they opened a Harry Potter Store at 935 Broadway.  https://www.harrypotterstore.com/

The Natural History Museum (west side of Central Park) just opened the new hall of gems, which is supposed to be outstanding.  As for a place to eat around there, there are tons of places along Amsterdam Ave.

Pizza is a must as well.  You could do Lombardi's which is in Soho and the oldest Pizza in Manhattan.  My personal favorite at the moment is San Matteo Pizza and Espresso bar on at E 90th and 2nd Ave.  Really, really good neopolitan style pizza.  

Oh, and on 2nd Ave at 86th is Schaller & Weber.  They have a sausage stand next to the butcher shop for really, really good "Hot Dogs". 

This is awesome, thank you!

Also really looking forward to some of these nicer restaurant recs when I'm back in the city without kids. 

On 6/27/2021 at 6:22 PM, blacklab said:

Was there last week as well.

Ate at Pio Pio. Several locations around. Very authentic Peruvian food.

Had Joe's pizza at 1455 Broadway and it was great. Did a bunch of touristy stuff with the family and in-laws. 

Lots of stuff closed on Tuesday and Wednesday like the 9/11 museum and top of One World so plan your days out before you go.

Pio Pio is solid.  When I lived here the first time, there was one right around the corner from my apartment.  

On 7/11/2021 at 1:48 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Bruce was fucking awesome. I’m too young to be a huge fan, but it was really an incredible show. I would go back

Went last night.  Enjoyed the hell out of that.  He is really fucking awesome.  The take on Born in the USA and the tale on writing it...

I definitely teared up a number of times, especially when he talked about his mom.  Hell, he teared up.  

I would highly recommend people go if they can get a ticket.  Not a single empty seat.  Every seat has a good view.  It is Bruce with 1500 people.