Tell me about New York City

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Pre-fix places aren’t very good because Mrs Ace is a picky/clean eater and it’s throwing away money (and often things are too sauced or whatever (plus she can’t eat 4 courses and she doesn’t eat anything sweet). You’ll get a kick out of her at our brunch though!

I forgot about that.  That is just very, very unfortunate.  Avra Madison could be a good choice.  I have not been myself, but I have heard good things.  They do fish by the pound.  19 minute walk (60th and 5th to 51st and 7th).

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I forgot about that.  That is just very, very unfortunate.  Avra Madison could be a good choice.  I have not been myself, but I have heard good things.  They do fish by the pound.  19 minute walk (60th and 5th to 51st and 7th).

Thanks - that’s a new name for me! 

Ok so some of our meals are being shuffled around a bit. Has anyone been to Peasant? The wife has heard good things and thinks it looks great and wants to go there tomorrow night. I was also able to add The Tavern at Gramercy Tavern tomorrow night from Resy notify, so we're deciding between those two. We moved our King rez to Friday night instead of sushi. Sticking with Frenchette on Saturday. For now.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ramsalot said:

Has anyone been to Peasant?

Many, many times. I used to live around the corner about 6 years ago. It’s a good spot and walkable from your hotel.

Not sure of your age range, but the immediate surrounding area and into the LES will be pretty heavily slanted towards mid-20s (not Peasant, it has a healthy mix). Maybe that works for you or maybe you’ll want to go elsewhere after. If you are a wine person, La Compagnie is a great French wine bar relatively near by but outside the prime bustle of Nolita. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

Ok so some of our meals are being shuffled around a bit. Has anyone been to Peasant? The wife has heard good things and thinks it looks great and wants to go there tomorrow night. I was also able to add The Tavern at Gramercy Tavern tomorrow night from Resy notify, so we're deciding between those two. We moved our King rez to Friday night instead of sushi. Sticking with Frenchette on Saturday. For now.

I have not been to Peasant, but I want to.  I love Gramercy Tavern.  Their cocktail program is very, very good. Also, the golden beet salad is a go to order. 

You will like King.  It is fantastic.  I need to get back there soon. 

15 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Definitely stick with Frenchette. Le Bernadin used to be below my office building so was lucky to go there pretty frequently.

And I threw up after the last time I ate at Avra. But it’s very good.

Why did you throw up?!?

Also, agree with keeping Frenchette.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

9 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

Definitely stick with Frenchette. Le Bernadin used to be below my office building so was lucky to go there pretty frequently.

And I threw up after the last time I ate at Avra. But it’s very good.

Ummm that doesn’t give me confidence to try it … what were the circumstances of the vomit?

On 2/9/2022 at 9:23 PM, Ramsalot said:

So, Gramercy Tavern or Pheasant?  My friend spilled her drink on a couple at Gramercy Tavern.  Hope it wasn't you.

10 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So, Gramercy Tavern or Pheasant?  My friend spilled her drink on a couple at Gramercy Tavern.  Hope it wasn't you.

To be fair, her drink was sitting on the edge of our table (on yeah @Stunns38, my first time out all month, so I did break it, but it was after a party) and she was telling me something and her hand hit it and tipped it over on our table.  Of course, it was a full cocktail.  Fortunately, it mainly went on the floor between us and the couple next to us.  They decamped to the bar and we had a good laugh about chasing them off and joked with all the staff, who are, as always, amazing.  We had been at a Patron party at Chapel Bar just before and might have had 4 cocktails each and decamped to Gramercy as we both acknowledged the need to eat something.  Their focaccia last night was great (had apples in it) and we went with the Seafood Platter which was outstanding.  The Zen Mode is still my favorite cocktail there, and their Espresso Martini is really good and not sweet, which I appreciate.  Was home before midnight and everything.  Dragging a bit this AM (7 cocktails over about 5 hours), but nothing too bad.

• Like 1

Have you done Blue Hill yet?

Yeah I did Blue Hill maybe 10-ish years ago when I first moved to NYC. Tasting menu and wine pairing. The sommelier made sure we had plenty.

It’s my sisters birthday and the group just jumped from 5 to 7 people. I think we might have to pivot and do Sunday.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Taking my 11-year-old to NYC sometime this summer. Any recs for a decent hotel in the midtown area that isn’t too pricey? I don’t need anything fancy since we probably won’t be spending much time in the hotel.

What is your idea of not too pricey and how much do you plan to use the subway?

One we really enjoyed staying at in Midtown was the Radisson Martinique. Stayed there with our two girls back in 2016. It's been redone as Martinique New York and is now owned by Hilton. The reasons we really liked it is away from enough things to be an enjoyable area (read not Times Square), close to big things we wanted to do like the Empire State Building, and most importantly next to the Herald Square subway station that has the A,E, B, D, F, M, N, Q, R, and W lines. It's also one long city block from the 1, 2, and 3 lines. That would get you both uptown and downtown pretty easily. We also enjoyed both Herald Square and Greeley Square Park. We had no issues walking to places like Bryant Park and Grand Central Station. If it's too pricey, check around that area. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Taking my 11-year-old to NYC sometime this summer. Any recs for a decent hotel in the midtown area that isn’t too pricey? I don’t need anything fancy since we probably won’t be spending much time in the hotel.

Bryant Park Hotel or Arlo Nomad are pretty good addresses.  Also the ACE NY is at 29th and Broadway.  The Refinery Hotel also is pretty decent and is at W 38th and 6th (just south of Bryant Park).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

Have dinner at Carbone tonight with some friends. Any recs to order?

The spicy vodka rigatoni, the veal parm and 2 or 3 martinis has never let me down. I think the rigatoni is “the classic” thing to order there. It’s a small portion. 

I think I remember the baked clams being awesome as well.

There is also a table side prepared Caesar that’s good. 

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

What is your idea of not too pricey and how much do you plan to use the subway?

One we really enjoyed staying at in Midtown was the Radisson Martinique. Stayed there with our two girls back in 2016. It's been redone as Martinique New York and is now owned by Hilton. The reasons we really liked it is away from enough things to be an enjoyable area (read not Times Square), close to big things we wanted to do like the Empire State Building, and most importantly next to the Herald Square subway station that has the A,E, B, D, F, M, N, Q, R, and W lines. It's also one long city block from the 1, 2, and 3 lines. That would get you both uptown and downtown pretty easily. We also enjoyed both Herald Square and Greeley Square Park. We had no issues walking to places like Bryant Park and Grand Central Station. If it's too pricey, check around that area. 

Thanks.  The Martinique rooms are in currently the $220 range for early June, which isn't bad.  And yes, we plan on using the subway a lot. 

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

The spicy vodka rigatoni, the veal parm and 2 or 3 martinis has never let me down. I think the rigatoni is “the classic” thing to order there. It’s a small portion. 

I think I remember the baked clams being awesome as well.

There is also a table side prepared Caesar that’s good. 

Rigatoni and Caesar sounds like a winner. Thanks

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

That’s not horrible.  Booze to food ratio?

50/50, if not a little higher on the booze side. Had an outstanding bottle of a red Italian wine and I'm not a wine drinker. They serve you 3 different kinds of bread, some sopprosata (sp?) and a cauliflower medley in olive oil as starters. We did raspberry sorbet for dessert. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Four years ago, the wife, daughter, and I went to NYC during spring break. Just the basic short family vacation. Stayed in Harlem at an rbnb.

Just a few days ago, the daughter (now age 11) and I had the following conversation:

daughter (out of the blue): dad, can I go to Columbia for college?

me: You can go wherever you want (with a few exceptions), but Columbia is an excellent college. Why do you want to go there?

daughter: I think it would be fun to live in NYC during college. I googled "Colleges in new york city" and Columbia was the first one on the list.

7 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

I was also in NYC four years ago for Spring Break, checking out colleges with my son.  I remember it snowed one day and was cold as balls.  He decided NYC was cool.  Graduates in May, might even stay there after graduation.  

/csb

11 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Four years ago, the wife, daughter, and I went to NYC during spring break. Just the basic short family vacation. Stayed in Harlem at an rbnb.

Just a few days ago, the daughter (now age 11) and I had the following conversation:

daughter (out of the blue): dad, can I go to Columbia for college?

me: You can go wherever you want (with a few exceptions), but Columbia is an excellent college. Why do you want to go there?

daughter: I think it would be fun to live in NYC during college. I googled "Colleges in new york city" and Columbia was the first one on the list.

I thought about NYU when I was looking at colleges.  Ended up in NOLA, so also, not a bad location to be in college in.  But NYC as a college student would be a lot of fun.  Sometimes a little too much fun.  I know this past weekend has tested my limits.  

Bbc Drinking GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Anybody stay at any of the Hyatt properties?  I'm looking to book a stay with points.  Park Hyatt is an obvious for best redemption value but I'm looking at 2 rooms for 6 nights so would need a shit ton of points.  Thompson, Andaz 5th Avenue, Hyatt Centric...anybody know anything about these?

15 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I thought about NYU when I was looking at colleges.  Ended up in NOLA, so also, not a bad location to be in college in.  But NYC as a college student would be a lot of fun.  Sometimes a little too much fun.  I know this past weekend has tested my limits.  

Bbc Drinking GIF

Sadly, the two years he has been of "legal" age, have been filled with lockdowns and remote classes.  Bad timing.  But he really does living there.

17 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Anybody stay at any of the Hyatt properties?  I'm looking to book a stay with points.  Park Hyatt is an obvious for best redemption value but I'm looking at 2 rooms for 6 nights so would need a shit ton of points.  Thompson, Andaz 5th Avenue, Hyatt Centric...anybody know anything about these?

Pertinent to my interests as I just booked a suite at the Park Hyatt for a long weekend in April for our anniversary. The point redemption value was pretty damn good for a premium suite so felt it was too good to pass up.

2 hours ago, royiv said:

Pertinent to my interests as I just booked a suite at the Park Hyatt for a long weekend in April for our anniversary. The point redemption value was pretty damn good for a premium suite so felt it was too good to pass up.

It is super convenient, W 57th between 7th and 6th.  A little over a block to Bergdorf, Carnegie Hall across the street, and two short blocks to Central Park.  You could definite do worse.  Oh, and easy, easy access to tons of subway and bus routes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 12:51 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Had an absolutely awesome meal at Mena last night, a newish place off Cortland Alley. Recommend

Good to know.  I really like Victoria Blamey.  Went to Gotham when she was in charge pre-Covid and went during her stint at Fulgrances.  I was supposed to go this Saturday night, but I postponed to April 2.  Work is taking up most my time at the moment, as I am playing catch up from having family in town.

Speaking of, went and saw Six Monday night.  Holy shit.  What a good time.  The show is fun, has a positive message, and a ton of energy.  I am planning on trying to see it again soon.

Also, just saw this on Playbill.  I really hope this makes it to Broadway.  Would definitely go see.

https://playbill.com/article/aneesa-folds-bryce-pinkham-marc-kudisch-cast-in-world-premiere-of-trading-places-musical

Have Friday night reservations at Crown Shy for an upcoming NYC trip with the wife. We will be going to Hamilton for a Sunday afternoon show. That leaves Saturday night and Sunday after the show that I need to plan for dinner reservations. Wife is gluten intolerant to French and Italian are usually a challenge as are set menus. Coming from Houston so not really interested in steak. Other than that, we're both pretty open and love Asian and places in the vein of Crown Shy. Will be staying at Park Hyatt. 

Suggestions?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/24/2022 at 5:56 PM, royiv said:

Have Friday night reservations at Crown Shy for an upcoming NYC trip with the wife. We will be going to Hamilton for a Sunday afternoon show. That leaves Saturday night and Sunday after the show that I need to plan for dinner reservations. Wife is gluten intolerant to French and Italian are usually a challenge as are set menus. Coming from Houston so not really interested in steak. Other than that, we're both pretty open and love Asian and places in the vein of Crown Shy. Will be staying at Park Hyatt. 

Suggestions?

Sorry about not responding.  Work has been insane (in fact, working now actually).  

Gluten intolerant makes things a bit tough, but might go with one of the Korean BBQ joints in K Town.  I know others have expressed good thoughts about Cote.  Hyun is also pretty good.  There are also some less expensive places in KTown as well (SamWon Garden, which now goes by another name, but it is the same place).

Could do Dr. Clark in ChinaTown.  I have not been, but it is on my list.

What about sushi?  If so, Cagen in the East Village is my favorite. 

10 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Went to the opening night preview for Funny Girl with Beanie Feldstein tonight. She was really hilarious; terrific show. Her mom and fiancé were sitting directly behind me and were just losing their shit the entire show. Fun time

That is good to know.  Was debating on this one, but now I know I'll go see it.  Might have to wait until I'm back from Paris, but it's definitely on my list.

7 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

That is good to know.  Was debating on this one, but now I know I'll go see it.  Might have to wait until I'm back from Paris, but it's definitely on my list.

Beanie obviously isn’t the singer that Streisand is, but I thought she equipped herself well-enough that it didn’t weigh down the stellar comedic performance.