Tell me about New York City

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Beanie obviously isn’t the singer that Streisand is, but I thought she equipped herself well-enough that it didn’t weigh down the stellar comedic performance.

That is excellent news.  It's hard to think of Funny Girl without Streisand belting out on that tugboat, so I'm glad to hear that it is a good turn.  I'll have to look at tickets this afternoon.

13 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Went to the opening night preview for Funny Girl with Beanie Feldstein tonight. She was really hilarious; terrific show. Her mom and fiancé were sitting directly behind me and were just losing their shit the entire show. Fun time

Have tickets for Easter Saturday. My wife’s favorite musical. (Seeing Six and Plaza Suite that weekend - will be our first time back in nyc since Covid and I’m so excited). 

5 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

taking my gf to see Bill Burr, her favorite comedian, at Forest Hills Stadium in august. Anyone got the hot tip on where to stay and what else to do in the area? would it be better to stay somewhere else and just travel back and forth from the show? what should I know?

https://www.foresthillsstadium.com/

Stay in Manhattan and travel back and forth to the show.  The E, F, M, and R lines go pretty much straight there, so staying Central Park South, or Midtown (Rockefeller) or even Times Square is going to be a good location for you.  

If you are in Manhattan, you have a plethora of things to do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Booked flights for me and my 11-year-old on June 1-5.  He's pumped.  We'll probably stay at the Warwick, and older no-frills hotel in midtown, where I stayed with my daughter when I took her to NYC.  It's in the vicinity of Times Square but away from the crowds, and close to Central Park.  I'll get tickets to the 9/11 museum and a ferry tour of Liberty Island and Ellis Island (he recently did a "wax museum" project on Ellis Island, so knows all about it and wants to see it firsthand).  We'll probably see a show as well, maybe Beetlejuice or Wicked.  The Central Park Zoo and some time in the park are also on the list.

Any other recommendations for stuff that's reopened and will entertain a fifth grader are appreciated.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Stay in Manhattan and travel back and forth to the show.  The E, F, M, and R lines go pretty much straight there, so staying Central Park South, or Midtown (Rockefeller) or even Times Square is going to be a good location for you.  

If you are in Manhattan, you have a plethora of things to do.

I'm only been to Manhattan once and it was literally a day trip over from NJ (visiting my then gf's dad). Don't really know shit about getting around or anything. Will do some research and come up with some questions for those more traveled than me. Thanks for the starting points, though!

6 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'm only been to Manhattan once and it was literally a day trip over from NJ (visiting my then gf's dad). Don't really know shit about getting around or anything. Will do some research and come up with some questions for those more traveled than me. Thanks for the starting points, though!

Make sure to get your reservation in for Sbarro’s. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, South Austin said:

Booked flights for me and my 11-year-old on June 1-5.  He's pumped.  We'll probably stay at the Warwick, and older no-frills hotel in midtown, where I stayed with my daughter when I took her to NYC.  It's in the vicinity of Times Square but away from the crowds, and close to Central Park.  I'll get tickets to the 9/11 museum and a ferry tour of Liberty Island and Ellis Island (he recently did a "wax museum" project on Ellis Island, so knows all about it and wants to see it firsthand).  We'll probably see a show as well, maybe Beetlejuice or Wicked.  The Central Park Zoo and some time in the park are also on the list.

Any other recommendations for stuff that's reopened and will entertain a fifth grader are appreciated.

Yankees game?  They are at home that whole time.  June 1-2, Angels.  June 3-5, Detroit.

On 3/30/2022 at 10:16 PM, ohchaucer said:

Hard to beat Museum of Natural History and it’s a place you spend an hour in or half a day and either way it’s cool as shit. Or the intrepid.

and Met.  There's knights and a temple which are pretty damn entertaining, if art isn't his thing.  Also, walk the High Line.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/30/2022 at 8:53 AM, South Austin said:

Has your son seen Ghostbusters?

10 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Because, can send you all the filming places they filmed and you can do a Ghostbusters/movie tour.  Hell, can send you that for Avengers movies.  There is probably a similar tour that you can actually go on.

He would probably geek out on the Avenger’s sites.

Because, can send you all the filming places they filmed and you can do a Ghostbusters/movie tour.  Hell, can send you that for Avengers movies.  There is probably a similar tour that you can actually go on.

It was shocking sitting at the light in my Uber…

8961f118acb086642e1794badf6a7f7a.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Well our trip next weekend might get canceled. 5 shows this week already have shutdown due to Covid and I expect next week most others to close too. F this S. 

Yeah, I read that Matthew Broderick and another actor doing a show on Broadway just tested positive. Hope this doesn’t fuck up my trip in early June.

Going to NYC with the wife (no pics, as I value my life) in mid-May for stepdaughter's (ditto) graduation from NYU.  Staying Midtown near Rockefeller Center.  Looking for recs for restaurants, bars, and things to do in that area.  Graduation stuff will take up a substantial part of two of the days we'll be there, but it's looking like we'll have a little time to ourselves on the last evening we're there as well as the last day before we return.  

Yankees will be out of town when we're there, so scratch that as an option.  I see Book of Mormon will still be playing at the O'Neill while we're there, so that's one option on our final night.

Anyway, lay your recs on me.

I can’t really describe how happy I was to be back in the city this weekend and back in Broadway theaters. Before Covid we’d do a long theater weekend every month or two and see about 16 shows a year. Here is to getting that back on track.  

Being back at our “home” - the Bryant Park Hotel  - was such an overwhelming feeling that the past terror of 2 years is in the rearview mirror. I’ll never tire of this view.  

356-B9701-B493-48-B5-8182-F7413-F5-EE47-

D2119-F38-E07-C-4-A21-8-D74-4-ABB3795597

This weekend we saw Six, Funny Girl and Plaza Suite. All incredibly well done.

We are dinner at Avra Madison - halibut, branzino, grilled veggies, lemon roasted potatoes, green beans in tomato sauce and Negronis. A damn good meal. Shit photos but whatever  

3-F4-CD90-F-7-DE9-4-C59-B139-B6-F1-DD31- 

B77720-FF-B025-45-D5-A98-E-4-EC39-A96-F8 

0-C1058-CD-194-B-40-DE-9016-8-F2-D757197 

This morning I met the wonderful @PenelopeWitherspoon for brunch at Balthazar. Great food and even better conversation.  

See ya soon, NYC. 

20429831-6-AC1-4836-8188-6-B72-BE4064-B9

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The trouble with NY is it's filled with New Yorkers...

images-1.jpeg

Spoken like someone who doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about.  More than 50% of the people who live in NYC were born in either another country or another state.  Only 48% were born in NY State, and I would think that the number of Native New Yorkers (City) is even less than that.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Spoken like someone who doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about.  More than 50% of the people who live in NYC were born in either another country or another state.  Only 48% were born in NY State, and I would think that the number of Native New Yorkers (City) is even less than that.  

Grow up, get a sense of humor or get thicker skin. Any of those would be an improvement on your personality, and quality of life... cue the fuck you emoji in 12-50 subsequent posts I make everywhere on the site....

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Grow up, get a sense of humor or get thicker skin. Any of those would be an improvement on your personality, and quality of life... cue the fuck you emoji in 12-50 subsequent posts I make everywhere on the site....

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Your schtick is old and tired.  We know you hate New York.  I believe you have been up here maybe once or twice as a tourist, which tells me you know absolutely nothing about this city.  You were probably in the way of someone, taking a picture or gawking, and they told you to get the fuck out of their way.  New Yorkers are actually really good people, but no one has time to deal with hapless tourists when they are in a hurry.  Do us all a favor and stay out of this thread since you do not like New York.  You add nothing to the discussion.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Your schtick is old and tired.  We know you hate New York.  I believe you have been up here maybe once or twice as a tourist, which tells me you know absolutely nothing about this city.  You were probably in the way of someone, taking a picture or gawking, and they told you to get the fuck out of their way.  New Yorkers are actually really good people, but no one has time to deal with hapless tourists when they are in a hurry.  Do us all a favor and stay out of this thread since you do not like New York.  You add nothing to the discussion.

Holy fuck  This is a website where people make jokes, and sarcastic remarks about everything from food to people dying, and you get your granny panties in a wad about a casual, throw away remark about NY, and go off on this little diatribe ?

You know jack about what I do or where I’ve been, or how many times I’ve been there (which I think of as one of the top 2 major capitols of the world). Which has been many times over the years for business, and pleasure. Even if I’d never been there it’s just a fucking joke on a site that does nothing but see jokes made in good, and bad taste continually. 

Your MO is to go around serial neg repping anyone who says anything that bothers you.  Like I said grow up, get a sense of humor or some of that famous NY thick skin you’ve evidently failed to acquire as your post demonstrates.  Now it’s back to another late night at the studio.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Holy fuck  This is a website where people make jokes, and sarcastic remarks about everything from food to people dying, and you get your granny panties in a wad about a casual, throw away remark about NY, and go off on this little diatribe ?

You know jack about what I do or where I’ve been, or how many times I’ve been there (which I think of as one of the top 2 major capitols of the world). Which has been many times over the years for business, and pleasure. Even if I’d never been there it’s just a fucking joke on a site that does nothing but see jokes made in good, and bad taste continually. 

Your MO is to go around serial neg repping anyone who says anything that bothers you.  Like I said grow up, get a sense of humor or some of that famous NY thick skin you’ve evidently failed to acquire as your post demonstrates.  Now it’s back to another late night at the studio.

Clueless Movie Whatever GIF by filmeditor

17 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Y'all really getting metal detectors in the subway or nah?

Who knows.  You would think they could integrate it into the turnstile.  Then even if you fare skip, you still have to go through the metal detector.  Course, you would need cops at every station to monitor because if there is no one to take someone aside if the thing beeps, then there is no point in them anyway.

Who knows.  You would think they could integrate it into the turnstile.  Then even if you fare skip, you still have to go through the metal detector.  Course, you would need cops at every station to monitor because if there is no one to take someone aside if the thing beeps, then there is no point in them anyway.

How would that even work though. Would bags not go through it? I would think it would be set off by everyone just by keys and phones.

How would that even work though. Would bags not go through it? I would think it would be set off by everyone just by keys and phones.