Tell me about New York City

I don't see how to get that coordinated. For comparison's sake, more people ride the New York subway on a COVID weekday than the highest daily throughput through every TSA checkpoint in the USA since 1/1/2019 (2.8 million and change). And we all know how much of a goat rodeo TSA is under the best of conditions.

Also, the Mrs. and I will be in NYC in mid-June. We've got tickets for the Yankees and a couple of shows. Still deciding where to stay, either Midtown or over by Madison Square Garden. 

1 minute ago, GopherRock said:

I don't see how to get that coordinated. For comparison's sake, more people ride the New York subway on a COVID weekday than the highest daily throughput through every TSA checkpoint in the USA since 1/1/2019 (2.8 million and change). And we all know how much of a goat rodeo TSA is under the best of conditions.

Also, the Mrs. and I will be in NYC in mid-June. We've got tickets for the Yankees and a couple of shows. Still deciding where to stay, either Midtown or over by Madison Square Garden. 

Do not stay by MSG. That area is the dump of Manhattan, even more so than Times Square.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Do not under any circumstance stay in the 30s between 7th and 9th. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Do not stay by MSG. That area is the dump of Manhattan, even more so than Times Square.

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Do not under any circumstance stay in the 30s between 7th and 9th. 

These are 100% correct.  Stay etiher around Bryant Park, or head north and stay closer to Central Park.  

I can recommend The Plaza, Le Meridian Central Park, and Essex House (JW Marriott).  I have stayed at all of those and can confirm they are good hotels to stay at.    

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

These are 100% correct.  Stay etiher around Bryant Park, or head north and stay closer to Central Park.  

I can recommend The Plaza, Le Meridian Central Park, and Essex House (JW Marriott).  I have stayed at all of those and can confirm they are good hotels to stay at.    

To add, I can recommend the Bryant Park Hotel, Peninsula, Andez, Langham and One Central Park. 

On 4/19/2022 at 11:19 PM, GopherRock said:

Sounds like TSA has the experience we need! I would love to see TSA in charge of this.

33 minutes ago, midtown said:

There is nothing wrong with the Penn/Msg or Harold Square area. If you find a good deal on a hotel don't be a wuss about it. Sure there is a slightly seedy side to Penn and the Port Authority etc but to completely avoid it is dumb

There is nothing wrong with staying in Round Rock for an Austin vacay but there is nothing worth a damn there so why bother?

43 minutes ago, midtown said:

There is nothing wrong with the Penn/Msg or Harold Square area. If you find a good deal on a hotel don't be a wuss about it. Sure there is a slightly seedy side to Penn and the Port Authority etc but to completely avoid it is dumb

Yeah, going to disagree with you on this.  I would have said the same thing in 2019.  However, 2022 is a completely different beast.  There is a significant amount of mentally-ill and violent homeless that tend to hang around Penn Station and the Port Authority bus station.  If I remember correctly, you used to live here in NYC but you now live in, San Antonio?!?  Sorry if I am getting you mixed up with another poster.

• Hook 'Em 1

Are there lots of excellent Korean restaurants in round Rock and you are a few feet from a train station to get you anywhere because they have that in the area of Harold Sq

Are you two blocks away from Keens in round Rock? I actually think there is a Michelin star restaurant on 35th. Imagine avoiding that area like the plague just to take a taxi there for the restaurants.

28 minutes ago, midtown said:

Are there lots of excellent Korean restaurants in round Rock and you are a few feet from a train station to get you anywhere because they have that in the area of Harold Sq

Are you two blocks away from Keens in round Rock? I actually think there is a Michelin star restaurant on 35th. Imagine avoiding that area like the plague just to take a taxi there for the restaurants.

We aren’t saying avoid it like a plague, we are saying don’t base yourself there. Big difference. BTW the mid 30s between 7th and 8th is an absolute horror show right now. I wouldn’t let a single woman walk down them alone. It’s not quite a no-go zone but it’s pretty close at the moment imo.  

• Hook 'Em 1

We aren’t saying avoid it like a plague, we are saying don’t base yourself there. Big difference. BTW the mid 30s between 7th and 8th is an absolute horror show right now. I wouldn’t let a single woman walk down them alone. It’s not quite a no-go zone but it’s pretty close at the moment imo.  
Fair enough. I don't think west of Msg was ever really viable nor have I ever seen much in the way of hotels in that area. I just didn't want people on the board to eliminate the 30s west because it's fine from my viewpoint.

But in re-reading the warning of 7-9th agreed. I hooked 7-6 in there and east of 7th is fine

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Fair enough. I don't think west of Msg was ever really viable nor have I ever seen much in the way of hotels in that area. I just didn't want people on the board to eliminate the 30s west because it's fine from my viewpoint.

But in re-reading the warning of 7-9th agreed. I hooked 7-6 in there and east of 7th is fine

Agreed.  East of 7th is fine.  7th to 9th is horrible.  Before COVID, I pretty much felt safe walking alone anywhere below 96th in Manhattan at almost anytime of day with very few exceptions.  I am definitely more cautious now, opting to jump in a cab or Uber once it is after 10 or if it is really early in the AM.  

I mean, you used to get a random crazy on the subway, and everyone would just sit there and ignore the person.  Now, you see a number of people get off the train or go to another car.  I am not saying NYC is like the 70s and 80s.  It is still really, really safe.  But you just have to take more care than you used to have to.

Worst stateside hotel I’ve ever stayed at was at Penn Station. Wife booked it and didn’t know any better.  Would have to dig deep to remember which but it was old and huge. Tried to make it work for an hour or two and aborted.  Rest of the trip was enjoyable. That area was a junkie infested pos. Would have been in summer of ‘17 iirc. 

44 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Worst stateside hotel I’ve ever stayed at was at Penn Station. Wife booked it and didn’t know any better.  Would have to dig deep to remember which but it was old and huge. Tried to make it work for an hour or two and aborted.  Rest of the trip was enjoyable. That area was a junkie infested pos. Would have been in summer of ‘17 iirc. 

Probably the Hotel Pennsylvania.  It permanently closed on April 1, 2020 and is being demolished.  Probably going to turn into condos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Pennsylvania

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Probably the Hotel Pennsylvania.  It permanently closed on April 1, 2020 and is being demolished.  Probably going to turn into condos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Pennsylvania

That’s it.  Had it been clean, it would have been a cool place to stay, aside from the folks outside and crowding the lobby.  My 5 yo at the time was fascinated with New York, so we took her up there for her Bday on the back end of a short work trip in Pa.  It was a rough introduction to the city, to say the least. 

Tons of methadone clinics in that area contribute to the problems. I used to live on 9th and 39th and walking over passed/drugged out bodies was the norm.
  • Hook 'Em 1

That’s it.  Had it been clean, it would have been a cool place to stay, aside from the folks outside and crowding the lobby.  My 5 yo at the time was fascinated with New York, so we took her up there for her Bday on the back end of a short work trip in Pa.  It was a rough introduction to the city, to say the least. 

Oh yeah, the roach motel with broken elevators. Glad they’re razing that shithole.

3 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Oh yeah, the roach motel with broken elevators. Glad they’re razing that shithole.

When we finally got to our floor, you’d have thought snoop was partying in there. Wife and I couldn’t help but laugh when the kiddo was like wtf is that smell?  I didn’t mind the weed, it was the stench of piss in the room that made us eject.  Good times. 

• Like 1

Just booked at The Warwick, which is about 5 blocks south of Central Park. Away from the Times Square crowds, but close enough where I can take my son to see the lights after dinner before we walk back to the hotel. It’s a decent place based on my last two stays. I’m more about location than room and hotel amenities in a place where I only spend time sleeping and showering.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

We decided last night to come back May 14-15 to see How I Learned To Drive, Company and POTUS. 

Tell me where to eat dinner again. :) 

Might have to stay at the Chatwal as the BPH is sold out of our normal room. Oh well. 

Following because I also am interested in recs for restaurants, bars, and things to do in the Midtown area (see post 1377 above).

22 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Following because I also am interested in recs for restaurants, bars, and things to do in the Midtown area (see post 1377 above).

We were at Avra Madison last Saturday and it really was a phenomenal meal. I met Penelope at Balthazar for brunch Sunday but it's excellent anytime day/night. 

There are hundreds of good suggestions in this thread .. I'm just too lazy to read all them again. :)

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Weird to ask (from me and on this board), but anything even more casual? 

I would also second King, but if you are looking for more casual, there is a Mermaid Oyster Bar really near the Comedy Cellar.  I mean, almost anywhere is going to require reservations, but that is definitely more casual.  Minetta Tavern is right there too, and they are going to have a seafood dish.  Dame would be good, but they are a M-F joint.  

You also have Raoul's and Lure not too far from there as well.  Lure is really cool inside.  Looks like you are in a yacht.  Also, Lupa, which is on my to try list, is in the neighborhood.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I would also second King, but if you are looking for more casual, there is a Mermaid Oyster Bar really near the Comedy Cellar.  I mean, almost anywhere is going to require reservations, but that is definitely more casual.  Minetta Tavern is right there too, and they are going to have a seafood dish.  Dame would be good, but they are a M-F joint.  

You also have Raoul's and Lure not too far from there as well.  Lure is really cool inside.  Looks like you are in a yacht.  Also, Lupa, which is on my to try list, is in the neighborhood.

Thanks!

If anyone wants to join us at Friday May 13 at the Comedy Cellar, the more the merrier. Probably doing the 8:45 or whatever it is slot. 

24 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Thanks!

If anyone wants to join us at Friday May 13 at the Comedy Cellar, the more the merrier. Probably doing the 8:45 or whatever it is slot. 

I would join, but I am going to be en route to Paris at that time.  I think my flight leaves JFK at 6 PM or something like that.  

56 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I would join, but I am going to be en route to Paris at that time.  I think my flight leaves JFK at 6 PM or something like that.  

Ohhh yea i knew that trip was coming up soon. Jealous! 

I think I'm leaning toward Mermaid Oyster - lowkey is what we really want. Hell we might skip a restaurant entirely and just grab bar food somewhere random, or a pretzel or something. 

Any restaurant recommendations for an 11-year-old boy, nothing too fancy, but nothing too touristy? We’re staying midtown just south of Central Park and with be in those parts for most of the trip, but will also get around to lower Manhattan (we’re doing the Liberty Island/Ellis Island ferry tour and the 9/11 museum one day).

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Any restaurant recommendations for an 11-year-old boy, nothing too fancy, but nothing too touristy? We’re staying midtown just south of Central Park and with be in those parts for most of the trip, but will also get around to lower Manhattan (we’re doing the Liberty Island/Ellis Island ferry tour and the 9/11 museum one day).

Maybe not what you are looking for, but John’s of Bleecker (on Bleecker) is the best, and what 11 year old boy doesn’t love pizza? Good immediate area to stroll around, too. If a nice weekend, walk him over to wash square park after for some prime people watching. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

and what 11 year old boy doesn’t love pizza? 

Unfortunately my kid. I mean, he’ll eat a slice of plain cheese every now and then, but between the two of us it’s not worth getting a full pie. But there’s other stuff in the menu so maybe we’ll check it out, and I love that part of Manhattan. Gracias.

4 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

The wife has an event at the Met (art, not opera) - any decent causal-ish Italian spots within a 20 or so minute walk of 80th and 5th? 

I got Mermaid Oyster reservations btw

San Matteo at 81st and 2nd was one of my favorites when I lived in that neighborhood.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

If you're going to be in the village and you don't want to do pizza, Leroy House is a pretty good spot that isn't usually overrun.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, South Austin said:

Unfortunately my kid. I mean, he’ll eat a slice of plain cheese every now and then, but between the two of us it’s not worth getting a full pie. But there’s other stuff in the menu so maybe we’ll check it out, and I love that part of Manhattan. Gracias.

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

7 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

The wife has an event at the Met (art, not opera) - any decent causal-ish Italian spots within a 20 or so minute walk of 80th and 5th? 

I got Mermaid Oyster reservations btw

I like Antonucci Cafe.  It is pretty old school, but the food is good.  I have definitely gone there a few times after events at the Met.  It is a neighborhood place, and there are a lot of Italians that go there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thought I'd stick this in here since this is currently popular (that's what I said to the above's mom of course the other night).

2 airports questions:

1) Is 2 1/2 ish hours' layover good enough between flights at JFK?  Explanation: Landing in mid-Sept. about 11a ET from Germany, Term. 1.  I've scheduled a flight to Austin leaving 2:20 hours later, I think Term. 3 (Delta).  Er'ryone has Global Warmin... er, Global Entry (again, like SA's mom).  You think that's enough time to get thru processing/catch the next flight?  Far as I know Delta isn't on baggage connection or whatever with Lufthansa (aren't they a United partner?).  Anyway, flights are independent, so no check-thru etc.

2)Best means of getting 5 w/luggage from LaGuardia to Midtown (UN Hiilton?  Explanation: Outbound trip from AUS lands in LaGuardia (SWA) around lunchtime.   The bus/subway route seems kinda long and indirect for only 8 miles, plus as I said luggage. I see horror stories about uber/shuttles, etc.  I don't mind footing for a private vehicle but for 8 miles?  I know they used to have that airport circuit bus but that closed in 2020.  Next day out to JFK, I guess cab again, though that's a flat rate I think.  Anyway, what I hear is "if you don't have any homies there to pick you up, use a 5-man cab."  Is that about right?

34 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Thought I'd stick this in here since this is currently popular (that's what I said to the above's mom of course the other night).

2 airports questions:

1) Is 2 1/2 ish hours' layover good enough between flights at JFK?  Explanation: Landing in mid-Sept. about 11a ET from Germany, Term. 1.  I've scheduled a flight to Austin leaving 2:20 hours later, I think Term. 3 (Delta).  Er'ryone has Global Warmin... er, Global Entry (again, like SA's mom).  You think that's enough time to get thru processing/catch the next flight?  Far as I know Delta isn't on baggage connection or whatever with Lufthansa (aren't they a United partner?).  Anyway, flights are independent, so no check-thru etc.

2)Best means of getting 5 w/luggage from LaGuardia to Midtown (UN Hiilton?  Explanation: Outbound trip from AUS lands in LaGuardia (SWA) around lunchtime.   The bus/subway route seems kinda long and indirect for only 8 miles, plus as I said luggage. I see horror stories about uber/shuttles, etc.  I don't mind footing for a private vehicle but for 8 miles?  I know they used to have that airport circuit bus but that closed in 2020.  Next day out to JFK, I guess cab again, though that's a flat rate I think.  Anyway, what I hear is "if you don't have any homies there to pick you up, use a 5-man cab."  Is that about right?

1) You *should* be OK if everything is on time (especially if you have GE/Precheck). I’d definitely book this itinerary if it was a Star Alliance connection but it gives me pause that your flight back to Austin is on Delta so you won’t be protected in the event of a misconnect. There’s nothing better via EWR, ORD, or IAH on LH/UA?

2) Flat fee cab is your best option and with 5 people, not really any more expensive than the public transit options (the Air Train tickets just went to $8 and that’s before Subway/LIRR tickets). 

Thx Owl for the responses.  Mine:

1) Well I could check but these were direct and a pretty good price.  There is a nonstop flight leaving about 3 hours later (about 5 p.m.) and i might switch to that, but it's about $70 p/p more.  So it's an option.  I just liked the shorter-time direct nonstop after a 8+ hour flight back.  But I could do the later flight perhaps.

2) Yeah the flat fee works for JFK, but apparently LaG is on meter.  No big deal and it's midday, not rush hour, but either way it seems to be the best way to go.  I'm wondering how cabbies like that route, or is considered a hassle to go "all the way out to Queens" or whatever?