Tell me about New York City

When I went through Kennedy in January on Delta, TSA PreCheck got you nowhere in the T4 security line. Everyone went through the long queue maze. We had a 2 1/2 hour transfer off an international flight. Customs was a breeze, but TSA was the longest part of the transfer. Caveat: This was around 6 PM, so all of Delta's redeyes to Europe were going out in the following two hours, plus a bunch of other Europe-bound overnight flights. YMMV.

6 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Thx Owl for the responses.  Mine:

1) Well I could check but these were direct and a pretty good price.  There is a nonstop flight leaving about 3 hours later (about 5 p.m.) and i might switch to that, but it's about $70 p/p more.  So it's an option.  I just liked the shorter-time direct nonstop after a 8+ hour flight back.  But I could do the later flight perhaps.

2) Yeah the flat fee works for JFK, but apparently LaG is on meter.  No big deal and it's midday, not rush hour, but either way it seems to be the best way to go.  I'm wondering how cabbies like that route, or is considered a hassle to go "all the way out to Queens" or whatever?  

Whoops-glossed over the fact that the other flight is into LGA... From LGA, it's only $2.75/person to the city. Q70 to Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Ave where you can transfer to the subway which will get you to Midtown. About 45 minutes of transit time. A cab will run you ~$50-60 after tip (less if there's not much traffic, more if you really get stalled).

38 minutes ago, RiceOwl said:

Whoops-glossed over the fact that the other flight is into LGA... From LGA, it's only $2.75/person to the city. Q70 to Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Ave where you can transfer to the subway which will get you to Midtown. About 45 minutes of transit time. A cab will run you ~$50-60 after tip (less if there's not much traffic, more if you really get stalled).

Thanks again (and everyone else).  The cost/time isn't a big thing but it's the luggage... not sure I want to throw all that on w/5 of us.  So likely we'll cab it.

I decided to go ahead and do the later flight to Austin... now we have about 7 1/2 hours (leaving 6:30pm).  Plenty of time to rest up and chill. I figured actually we'll just be getting off of a long 9ish-hr flight, so might as well kick back and use the lounge before the next 4-hour one.  I think it would be best of us to take our time and rest, not have to hurry between 2 long flights.

Thanks for the help, tho.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Thanks again (and everyone else).  The cost/time isn't a big thing but it's the luggage... not sure I want to throw all that on w/5 of us.  So likely we'll cab it.

I decided to go ahead and do the later flight to Austin... now we have about 7 1/2 hours (leaving 6:30pm).  Plenty of time to rest up and chill. I figured actually we'll just be getting off of a long 9ish-hr flight, so might as well kick back and use the lounge before the next 4-hour one.  I think it would be best of us to take our time and rest, not have to hurry between 2 long flights.

Thanks for the help, tho.

Personally, I'd go to the TWA hotel with that long of a layover.

• 2 weeks later...

Stayed on the Brooklyn side of the river this week with a great view of the city. It was a nice change of pace bouncing back and forth between the City and Brooklyn on the ferry every day. There were a lot of really good places to eat through the Williamsburg area that you could get in and out of without any waiting on anything. Ate at Reserve Cut down from the NYSE building one night as well and it was well worth the price.

Taking the kids back in October and staying at the Lotte NY Palace to have a good base to see the things they want to see.

POTUS was a riot. If you’re around catch this limited run for a vulgar, raunchy good time. 

Company was as expected too-both. Lenk was robbed not getting a Tony nomination. 

How I Learned To Drive was devastating. Mary-Louise Parker is the best stage actress in the business and put on another masterclass with this traumatizing play. 

And here is a pic of random buildings. We probably won’t be back until fall cause fuck the city when it’s above 80 degrees.

7-F494-A8-A-3-B73-4549-BFAD-4-D4-A7-DEEF

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, IPoopOnWhoop said:

Anyone have a recommendation for a place to watch the baseball game Friday at noon?  We are staying in midtown Manhattan, and are going to the Yankees game later that evening so we could potentially be ok with something towards the Bronx as well.

Horns Hook Tavern on 1st Ave. It’s prob a ~25 min 4 train ride to Yankee Stadium.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/4/2022 at 9:41 AM, South Austin said:

Not many Saturday mornings better than this.

254C5C4E-52E7-4036-BBE6-AEC90B32272A.jpeg

I saw you mentioned the Gershwin in another thread so assume you saw Wicked.  Did you just buy tickets from Ticketmaster which I believe is the official site? 

And more of a general NYC question for anybody....I guess proof of vaccination is no longer needed but masks required still in some places.  If proof of vaccination comes back in July is there an expiration on that shit?  My original shots were last April and no booster yet but might get one before the trip.

3 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

I saw you mentioned the Gershwin in another thread so assume you saw Wicked.  Did you just buy tickets from Ticketmaster which I believe is the official site? 

And more of a general NYC question for anybody....I guess proof of vaccination is no longer needed but masks required still in some places.  If proof of vaccination comes back in July is there an expiration on that shit?  My original shots were last April and no booster yet but might get one before the trip.

Yes, we saw Wicked.  I got my tickets from Broadway.com.  But there's Ticketmaster and a few other sites out there hawking tickets.  I probably should've shopped around.

Gershwin was the only place that required masks, and they were pretty strict about it.  I'm not sure about any city-wide policy, but all of the restaurants, museums (MOMA, 9/11, Natural History Museum), retail stores, etc. were mask optional and nobody asked for proof of vaccine.  Seemed like only around 10% of people everywhere we went wore masks.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, PantsTent said:

They won’t bring back vaccinated requirements and even if so they won’t mandate a time window. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 4:11 PM, South Austin said:

Yes, we saw Wicked.  I got my tickets from Broadway.com.  But there's Ticketmaster and a few other sites out there hawking tickets.  I probably should've shopped around.

Gershwin was the only place that required masks, and they were pretty strict about it.  I'm not sure about any city-wide policy, but all of the restaurants, museums (MOMA, 9/11, Natural History Museum), retail stores, etc. were mask optional and nobody asked for proof of vaccine.  Seemed like only around 10% of people everywhere we went wore masks.

I saw Wicked Thursday and agree they were pretty strict at Gershwin.

When I went to Natural History Museum, they told everyone at the door you had to mask up. Did not come across as optional.

Beyond those two places, masks seemed optional and at no point did I have to show proof of vax.

Heading to the city around Christmas with the family (kids first time). Touristy stuff - Central Park, Rockefeller, museums, plays, etc.

Looking at the Warwick per SAM above. Any other hotel recommendations appreciated. We're not real picky on the property's amenities, etc. Looking more for location. 

TIA

On 6/10/2022 at 7:33 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Any suggestions on the best soft pretzel in NYC? We’ll be there for my wife’s birthday and that’s all she wants. I’ve heard Heidelberg (UES) was one of the best but it’s been a while. By pretzel I mean authentic German style, not a buttery POS like Auntie Anne’s. 

There is a relaxed German restaurant @ Fort Greene neighborhood, Fulton Street in Brooklyn. They have real German pretzels, the schnitzel is great and German bier flows like water from the taps including my two favorites Radeberger Pilsner and Kostritzer Schwarzbier! 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, wildturkey8 said:

There is a relaxed German restaurant @ Fort Greene neighborhood, Fulton Street in Brooklyn. They have real German pretzels, the schnitzel is great and German bier flows like water from the taps including my two favorites Radeberger Pilsner and Kostritzer Schwarzbier! 

One important detail:  The name of the restaurant is Black Forest.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking for a good brunch place and don't mind taking the subway to the Upper West Side, go to Maison Pickle (84th and Broadway). Tasty food and gigantic portions. 

Saw 3 shows there last weekend, and all three were aggressively enforcing masking. 

Looking at the lines to get into the Holland and Lincoln Tunnel from the Jersey side confirms my position to never fly into Newark for a NYC visit if at all possible.

1 hour ago, GopherRock said:

If you're looking for a good brunch place and don't mind taking the subway to the Upper West Side, go to Maison Pickle (84th and Broadway). Tasty food and gigantic portions. 

Saw 3 shows there last weekend, and all three were aggressively enforcing masking. 

Looking at the lines to get into the Holland and Lincoln Tunnel from the Jersey side confirms my position to never fly into Newark for a NYC visit if at all possible.

Eh, depending on your destination it can work. I've made it from my financial district apartment to the terminal in 41 minutes when I timed it perfectly. PATH to Newark Penn, bus to EWR. It can also be good if you're going to midtown and can take NJT right in to NY Penn. If you're cabbing-no shot.

Quicker than JFK or LGA. 

Eh, depending on your destination it can work. I've made it from my financial district apartment to the terminal in 41 minutes when I timed it perfectly. PATH to Newark Penn, bus to EWR. It can also be good if you're going to midtown and can take NJT right in to NY Penn. If you're cabbing-no shot.
Quicker than JFK or LGA. 

When I lived in Hells Kitchen, it was a quick walk to the EWR direct bus at the Port Authority and quick to go through the Lincoln Tunnel. Always less than 45 mins to get to the terminals. It’s pretty convenient for anyone on the West Side. FiDi is quick east-west so that works too.

2 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Any ideas for a dinner for the family before seeing Wicked within walking distance from Gershwin theatre?  Not looking for anything super fancy/expensive...there's 5 of us age 14 and up.

Took my 11-year-old son to see Wicked at the Gershwin the first weekend in June, and our hotel was in the general area.  Our favorite meals -- not super fancy/expensive -- were Ill Corso (he got the bolognese, a relatively kid-friendly dish, but was some of the best I've ever had), and Kin Ramen (a funky but very authentic ramen joint, and they accommodated my son's request for just broth, noodles, and chicken).  Both are an easy walk from the Gershwin, but away from the Times Square/theater district crowds.  The later doesn't take reservations and capacity isn't very big, but you can probably get a table for 5 if you get there relatively early.  It helped that my son and I were eating dinner closer to Texas time.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1

Gershwin is only a block and half from 9th avenue.  There are all sorts of good places.  If you like Thai, Pure Thai Cookhouse, Noodies, and Wondee Siam are all right around there (on 9th).  Empanada Mama is also on 9th right near 51st.  At 52nd and 8th is Russian Samovar.  I love that place.  The food is good and so is the Vodka.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Work is still insane, but I made it out last night.  First, popped by Commerce Inn for a Milk Punch and some fried okra before the show at the Cherry Lane Theater.  We were going to see Oh God, A Show About Abortion by Alison Leiby.  Last night was the last night until it returns in August. It is brilliant and funny, and given what has happened recently, very poignant.  If in New York, go see when it is back August 8-26.  She is also going to be in LA on July 20.

Afterwards, we went to Semma for dinner.  So, so good.

20220630_181451.jpg

20220630_181914.jpg

20220630_182831.jpg

20220630_213705.jpg

20220630_214414.jpg

20220630_220234.jpg

20220630_220245.jpg

20220630_224748.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/23/2022 at 2:07 PM, Stunns38 said:

When I lived in Hells Kitchen, it was a quick walk to the EWR direct bus at the Port Authority and quick to go through the Lincoln Tunnel. Always less than 45 mins to get to the terminals. It’s pretty convenient for anyone on the West Side. FiDi is quick east-west so that works too.

Yeah, but you have to go to the fucking PA. I’d rather walk home over broken glass…

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

We’ll be in town over Thanksgiving. 

1) we gonna do a parade morning Surly bash?
2) where should we get thanksgiving dinner??

Don’t know where you’re staying but Bubby’s in Tribeca does a great Thanksgiving, or at least they did in 2019…

• Hook 'Em 1