Tell me about New York City

45 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Oh yeah...sorry, forgot to mention, martini was great!  At Keens.  Didn’t try the chop, despite everyone saying it’s all about the chop there.  Fuck me for not listening.  But fuck them for being a “steakhouse” and the pork chop being the only good thing on the menu.

Not pork chop you mook. Mutton chop. Or you get the prime rib hash in the pub.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

The smug ignorance about being the center of the world without having ever left one small island gets to me.

90% of my friends in NY were not from the city.  I had friends from Texas, Calif, St Louis, Atlanta, New Zealand, England,  Germany, Iraq, Tennessee, Florida and on and on. 

30 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Doesn't take me that long to be sick of New Yorkers.  The smug ignorance about being the center of the world without having ever left one small island gets to me.

But then one Yankees-Red Sox game makes we want to abdicate the entire Northeast.

As opposed to the docile and humble attitude people from Texas display? 

47 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, we all know you live in New York.  We are all very impressed.  You want some rep for it?  Is that your basis for feeling cool?

Wut?

I was talking about the "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could", "We can become our own country", "Everything's bigger in Texas" and the boastful climate of Texans in general. The post I quoted referenced the fact that New Yorkers seem to think that they are special because they grew up in NYC (Which I didn't) as an outlying trait. Not any more than Texans think that they are unique snowflakes. You seem to think I give a shit what you, or others for that matter, think about me. That's so sweet. 

P.S. Jersey? Ok, cool. Hook 'em

Edited by Spankytoes

On 11/30/2018 at 11:14 AM, Liquor and Poker said:

Doesn't take me that long to be sick of New Yorkers.  The smug ignorance about being the center of the world without having ever left one small island gets to me.

But then one Yankees-Red Sox game makes we want to abdicate the entire Northeast.

I left one small island called Texas to moved here. You like areas filled with tourists and people begging for money in Elmo suits, that's you. do you. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Texans may self-aggrandize but at least they tend to be hospitable and not known to be rude.  New Yorkers are known to be rude and self serving.

What Sunns38 said.  Never experienced the prototypical rude New Yorker in my years of working/living there.

12 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Texans may self-aggrandize but at least they tend to be hospitable and not known to be rude.  New Yorkers are known to be rude and self serving.

this is just dumb. I'm guessing you have never been to NYC, sometimes all I feel that I do is give directions to some hapless map holding clown at the top of a subway staircase. 

2 hours ago, next2naus said:

this is just dumb. I'm guessing you have never been to NYC, sometimes all I feel that I do is give directions to some hapless map holding clown at the top of a subway staircase. 

Third-ed...I'll add that the best more caring, kind, shirt off their back people I have ever met were from my years in the city.  

Edited by midtown

15 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Having lived in Texas for 35 years, and NY for almost 5, I can say that you're full of shit on both accounts. The difference between a Texan and a New Yorker is that a NYer will show you the knife and stab you in the chest while a Texan will stab you in the back. 

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2018 at 12:01 AM, Stunns38 said:
On 8/12/2018 at 9:57 PM, HornPhD said:
If you are going with a wife/girlfriend and/or kids, the Christmas Spectacular featuring the Rockettes is worth it. 
Jimmy's Corner is an awesome dive bar in the Times Square area.

i thought Jimmys shut down.

Night before Thanksgiving, wife and I had four vodka waters and four beers for $36. Amazing place.

Had some of the best pizza I've had on Sixth and 38th - $2.75 for two slices and a can.

Edited by Kyle

16 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Only encountered really nice folks in NYC but maybe just me. 

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

Having lived in Texas for 35 years, and NY for almost 5, I can say that you're full of shit on both accounts. The difference between a Texan and a New Yorker is that a NYer will show you the knife and stab you in the chest while a Texan will stab you in the back. 

Well, since you say so i must be.  eyeroll.gif

Whether any of you like it or not, New Yorkers are known for being rude.  No one is saying that everyone in NYC is rude while Texans are not.  That would be stupid, but the reputation exists for a reason and it has existed prior to this thread.

My experience and characterization is less about rudeness and more about them being impolite.  I find typical NY'ers to be of quick temperament, foreign to gestures of common courtesy and put out by the simplest things.  Very much along the lines of what you stated.  Jmo.   

18 hours ago, RollLeft said:

donaldtrumpwrong.gif

Visited twice in the last 2 years and can honestly say that 99% of the New Yorkers I encountered were some of the nicest people in all of my travels.  They might have had that reputation years ago, but it’s just not that way anymore.

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

Whether any of you like it or not, New Yorkers are known for being rude.  No one is saying that everyone in NYC is rude while Texans are not.  That would be stupid, but the reputation exists for a reason and it has existed prior to this thread.

My experience and characterization is less about rudeness and more about them being impolite.  I find typical NY'ers to be of quick temperament, foreign to gestures of common courtesy and put out by the simplest things.  Very much along the lines of what you stated.  Jmo.   

The issue is that so many people on this planet are just breathtakingly fucking stupid and unaware of their surroundings. You can avoid this reality when living in a normal U.S. city in which you have a house and drive your car to all locations. Here, it just smacks you in the face every single day. So, the fuse is short. 

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

Texans are known for being backwards, racist, uneducated hicks by people up north. Does that make it true? Every single NYer I’ve brought to Dallas or Houston has stated that they would love to live there and asks me why I left. Everyone has a misinformed opinion until they experience it. I’ve lived both as have several others that have posted. The asshole stereotype is as outdated as riding horses to school. NYers are blunt hence my stab you in the chest comparison and Texans will be polite to your face and then talk shit about you later hence my stab you in the back comparison. If you need someone to tell you in softer tones to “go fuck yourself”, NYC ain’t for you. On the flip side, they are the nicest and most helpful people I’ve been around. Everyone’s just trying to survive the bustle and high costs. That doesn’t fit your description of self-centered entitlement. Southerners just want to believe they have manners and Yankees don’t. Try saying “m’am” up here to a 40-something woman. Doesn’t have the politeness you’re accustomed to.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Texans are known for being backwards, racist, uneducated hicks by people up north. Does that make it true?

Have you read the official bitch about your family thread?  Yes, there is truth to it.  I have known backward, racist, uneducated hicks here in Texas.  The stereotype exists for a reason.

Edited by RollLeft

10 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

... If you need someone to tell you in softer tones to “go fuck yourself”, NYC ain’t for you. On the flip side, they are the nicest and most helpful people I’ve been around. Everyone’s just trying to survive the bustle and high costs. 

Lulz

On 12/5/2018 at 3:02 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

The issue is that so many people on this planet are just breathtakingly fucking stupid and unaware of their surroundings. You can avoid this reality when living in a normal U.S. city in which you have a house and drive your car to all locations. Here, it just smacks you in the face every single day. So, the fuse is short. 

This. Mobile phones have exponentially made walking around Manhattan ragey. You get the people stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to take selfies or look at the map not to mention the myriad chicks (#noracist) texting or checking snapchat while trying to walk. Can you at least move to the side to check the map / take the selfie instead of standing literally in the middle of the sidewalk? (no, the answer is no)

On 12/5/2018 at 2:50 PM, RollLeft said:

I find most Texans to be slow, less than tolerant of other cultures in their own and other countries and not all together worldly wise. 

On 12/5/2018 at 4:02 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

This is spot on. Having lived up here for 15 years, I'll take no-nonsense-mistaken-for-rudeness over provincial any day. 

I think the perception of rudeness by tourists is also magnified by their sense of being overwhelmed and out of a comfort zone. It's understandable, if usually mischaracterized.

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Manhattan has a McDonald's on every corner. I believe there's something like 80-90 in that borough alone.

There's a Chick-fil-A at 42nd and Madison.  When I was there 2 weeks ago there was a protest going on about asbestos with big inflatable rat out front.  Apparently Chick-fil-A serves asbestos, or at least that's what a couple of loons in NYC seem to think.

Place is always packed with lines to the door.  NYC loves them some  CFA.....

49 minutes ago, gecko said:

There's a Chick-fil-A at 42nd and Madison.  When I was there 2 weeks ago there was a protest going on about asbestos with big inflatable rat out front.  Apparently Chick-fil-A serves asbestos, or at least that's what a couple of loons in NYC seem to think.

Place is always packed with lines to the door.  NYC loves them some  CFA.....

That's probably a union protest. 

Going next week.

In laws moved up there about a decade ago, so we visit a couple times a year (Christmas and usually in the Spring)

As a lifelong Texan, I had preconceived notions about NY and New Yorkers going into my first visit.  It wasn't anything like i had "heard".

I loved the energy and pace of the city.  Everyone has somewhere to go/be.  Walking with a purpose isn't rude to me.  Standing in the middle of the sidewalk, with a rolling suitcase, while you try to figure out where you're going is.  Don't be that guy/girl.  Don't be upset if someone tells you to GTF outta the way.

EDIT- I looked it up and there are 74 McDonalds in Manhattan. TBH, I've never noticed them...the only one I know is on the way to my in-laws apt.

Edited by Tylerocks