Tell me about New York City

find a ray's pizza joint and get a slice there.  I think we ended up eating there about 4 times in 3 days.  not sure how such cheap pizza and be so damn perfect and good.  I think it was the best meal we had there, and that includes some of the most highly acclaimed restaurants in the city.  Yet, Ray's Pizza stood tall against them all.  

Famous Ray's or Original Ray's?  

There is a Duane Reade on 52nd and every single time I have ever been in there (and it's about a half dozen times at this point), I have run into a fellow Texas-Ex.  It's creepy actually./csb

4 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Going next week.

In laws moved up there about a decade ago, so we visit a couple times a year (Christmas and usually in the Spring)

As a lifelong Texan, I had preconceived notions about NY and New Yorkers going into my first visit.  It wasn't anything like i had "heard".

I loved the energy and pace of the city.  Everyone has somewhere to go/be.  Walking with a purpose isn't rude to me.  Standing in the middle of the sidewalk, with a rolling suitcase, while you try to figure out where you're going is.  Don't be that guy/girl.  Don't be upset if someone tells you to GTF outta the way.

EDIT- I looked it up and there are 74 McDonalds in Manhattan. TBH, I've never noticed them...the only one I know is on the way to my in-laws apt.

D&D: 171

Sbucks: 220

DR/Walgeens: 150

3 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

find a ray's pizza joint and get a slice there.  I think we ended up eating there about 4 times in 3 days.  not sure how such cheap pizza and be so damn perfect and good.  I think it was the best meal we had there, and that includes some of the most highly acclaimed restaurants in the city.  Yet, Ray's Pizza stood tall against them all.  

Huh, seriously?  Never tried one, but every time I’ve ever mentioned Rays to a New Yorker, they laugh at me like I just told them Dominos was good.  To the point that it’s kind of become a running joke.  Just thought it was kind of a punch line.

• Like 1

maybe it is to them.  I don't know.  They can make fun of me all they want, but that shit was so crispy on the bottom, salty and chewy on top.  Maybe it's the NY equivalent of dominoes, but gotdayum if it's not the best dominoes of all time.  for about $4.00 it was the best value food I think ive ever eaten.  

4 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

maybe it is to them.  I don't know.  They can make fun of me all they want, but that shit was so crispy on the bottom, salty and chewy on top.  Maybe it's the NY equivalent of dominoes, but gotdayum if it's not the best dominoes of all time.  for about $4.00 it was the best value food I think ive ever eaten.  

imgur

20 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

I thought you were doing a Seinfield bit. Or being sarcastic. Been to OFR's and FR's back in my tourist days. Both were large slices of shit. If Famiglia's at 50th/Broadway was still there, I would walk past both for a piece of Albanian pizza.

Edited by Spankytoes

4 hours ago, midtown said:

Yup this.   The inflatable rat is awesome and he's been around for decades...I always got a kick out of seeing the rat in the mornings

His name is "Scabby the Rat" because the employer is using scabs for labor (Non-union peeps) to save $. I greatly appreciate this tactic over banging wooden sticks and chanting for 8 hours straight ala CWA.

Edited by Spankytoes

7 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

I thought you were doing a Seinfield bit. Or being sarcastic. Been to OFR's and FR's back in my tourist days. Both were large slices of shit. If Famiglia's at 50th/Broadway was still there, I would walk past both for a piece of Albanian pizza.

I was about to ask PB which Ray's until you made the distinction. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/original-rays-pizza-story-2011-9

5 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

If any of you assholes love sushi and spending $300 per person, I highly recommend omakase at Sushi Nakazawa. I’ve been to several top sushi spots in Tokyo and New York, but this was probably my first or second favorite overall. Just unreal flavors.

I’ve found sushi in NYC to be undercooked. Without fail, it comes out rare.

On 12/13/2018 at 6:16 AM, HenryJames said:

Probably a Texan.

She's probably from Austin and isn't happy about having minorities near her.  "ugh what is with these unsegregated cities, where they let chincs on my subway car"

Edited by midtown

2 hours ago, Fozzz said:

From my recent travels (cocktail bars): Death and Co > Black Tail > Employees Only > Clover Club >>> Dead Rabbit.  

This would have been nice about about this time last Friday. 

It was a wonderful trip, but I have some tips: 

- Go see the tree in Rockefeller Center at about 2-3 in the morning. Seriously. 

- The Rockettes Christmas Spectacular Show is worth it. If you have kids, they're going to freak out. The production value is so much better than anything we have down here. 

- The Sak's 5th Avenue Light Show was cool, but not worth getting bumped into several million times. 

- Make lunch and dinner reservations whenever possible. 

- Uber/taxis are worthless this time of year. It was bumper to bumper from Chelsea to Rockfeller Center at midnight. Take the subway whenever possible and walk everywhere else. 

- Other than hotel bars, it's dead after hours north of Times Square. 

- Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, and walk right back to Manhattan. The other side of the bridge is in a terrible part of Brooklyn. 

- Fly into Newark if you can. The train into Penn Station is a hell of a lot better/cheaper than sitting in a taxi for 90 minutes from JFK or LaGuardia. 

- Katz is worth the trip/crowd, and in an improving part of town. Russ and Daughters is a really good bagel place right up the street on East Houston. 

- I'd skip Old Homestead for steaks. Way too busy for their own good, waiters were a**holes, and it's some distance from the big landmarks. 

- Gloves, ear warmers and Bean Boots are your friends this time of year. It was cold, but I never felt uncomfortable. 

- You're going to get lost. Ask a cop or MTA employee for directions. My GPS screwed up more times than I can count. A good sense of direction helps. 

I found New Yorkers very friendly and willing to help...if they were a cop, MTA or airport employee. A JFK baggage handler saved our bacon on the way back to Houston. Bless that guy. 

I'd also suggest New Orleans for Christmas. Yeah, New York is better, but New Orleans is such a nice, little quick trip. 

Grimaldi’s at the foot of Brooklyn Bridge in , wait for it, Brooklyn is good pizza.  Some Jaque fella has a chocolate place for good sweets and hot chocolate nearby BB, IIRC. 

Yeah, just a shitload of people in the city near the Rock during xmas.  We’ve been up here(Upstate) for 7 years and have yet to make it to RCMH for the Rockettes Xmas show, next year maybe. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Underdog said:

Grimaldi’s at the foot of Brooklyn Bridge in , wait for it, Brooklyn is good pizza.  Some Jaque fella has a chocolate place for good sweets and hot chocolate nearby BB, IIRC. 

Yeah, just a shitload of people in the city near the Rock during xmas.  We’ve been up here(Upstate) for 7 years and have yet to make it to RCMH for the Rockettes Xmas show, next year maybe. 

Second the Grimaldi's rec.

Also on the Brooklyn side of the bridge is a waterfront area. Some good views of Manhattan from over there.

Skip the line and go to Juliana’s a block down.

On 12/14/2018 at 8:07 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

- I'd skip Old Homestead for steaks. Way too busy for their own good, waiters were a**holes, and it's some distance from the big landmarks. 

this, there are so many better places to get a steak. OH is a neat place but I;d rather eater at Keen's, Lugers, Wolfgangs, Strip House, etc. 

The wife and I talked it over. Probably going in August for a 7-10 day trip. Returning in December for another 3 day trip. We'll see the Rockettes again. I don't care, any red blood American male should love the Rockettes. 

What a great city. 

Spirit Airlines flights are very cheap and you can catch the train in Newark. Sitting in a cab in a cab from Queens is the worst. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

32 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Sitting in a cab is worse than flying Spirit?

Holy shit, this. I wouldn’t fly them if they paid me $100. They make Southwest look like first class.

You can take the shuttle bus from LGA to Woodside. Then you can transfer to the LIRR to get to Penn. Same cost and time as EWR with 1 extra step.

Edited by Spankytoes

26 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Holy shit, this. I wouldn’t fly them if they paid me $100. They make Southwest look like first class.

You can take the shuttle bus from LGA to Woodside. Then you can transfer to the LIRR to get to Penn. Same cost and time as EWR with 1 extra step.

Or just don’t be poor and get a black Uber SUV.

14 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

It's at least 90 minutes on the Van Wyck in December. Believe me. I just did it. Flying into hell is better than JFK this time of year. 

Probably two trips next year. A long one in August when everybody is in the Hamptons and a short one near Christmas. 

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It's at least 90 minutes on the Van Wyck in December. Believe me. I just did it. Flying into hell is better than JFK this time of year. 

Probably two trips next year. A long one in August when everybody is in the Hamptons and a short one near Christmas. 

Ok, but the shuttle bus has its own bus lane and the LIRR is a train unaffected by traffic. (You could do the subway from Woodside too, but it’s worth the extra few $s for the LIRR) The Van Wyck, Grand Central, LIE, BQE, Cross Island, etc. are irrelevant. If I’m leaving from downtown during rush hour, even I’m taking the train-train-bus unless I have check-in luggage. It’s the only way I’ll make the 6:30 PM LGA-DAL flight without knocking off work early.

Despite JFK being 1/2 the distance to my house, I fly out of LGA all the time because AA and Southwest hub there. JFK is only JetBlue on international for me. Will be nice when they build the LGA AirTrain. On that note, the new Terminal B is nice if you don’t want Club access or decent places to eat. Much bigger.

On 12/24/2018 at 12:00 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

True, but it's not at the end of the bridge. You walk over it and you have to walk back. 

Not necessarily. You can get on the F Train at the York Street Station and take that back into Manhattan. Or go to the High Street Station and take an A or C. 

Edited by mdmost

On 12/24/2018 at 9:30 AM, Landomatic said:

LGA is like the 3rd world country airport of American airports.

They got Allagash White on tap at Bowery Bay just outside security in Terminal B, C gates. That makes it at least 2nd world. 

Edited by mdmost

On 12/24/2018 at 9:09 AM, Spankytoes said:

JFK is an AirTrain to Jamaica the LIRR to Penn. same as EWR, just different stations

I've always found NJT to be way less reliable than the LIRR, but maybe I've just had bad luck.  I live 3 blocks from Atlantic Terminal through so it's 18 minutes to the Airtrain; accordingly I fly Jet Blue as often as possible.

On 12/13/2018 at 4:41 AM, Napoleon said:

Fuck that, go here...

Not-Ray-s-Pizza.jpg

Ray's is two storefronts down from there now; that space is currently home to a Cuban place that's a fuckin' hipster's delight.  The wall above the subway entrance has a Biggie mural painted on it now...

Edited by Ignatius