Tell me about New York City

1 hour ago, txduck87 said:

Saw “shucked” on broadway when I was there last month. Thought it was great. Funny as hell.

Headed back next week and looking for a show or two. Thoughts? Probably do the day of 50% off thing at TKTS. Jesus hotels are crazy this time of year.

Gutenburg! the Musical. Do it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, txduck87 said:

Saw “shucked” on broadway when I was there last month. Thought it was great. Funny as hell.

Headed back next week and looking for a show or two. Thoughts? Probably do the day of 50% off thing at TKTS. Jesus hotels are crazy this time of year.

Kimberly Akimbo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Have any of you NYC residents eaten at Rao's? If so, please describe the experience. From what I've gathered, it's impossible to get a table there. 

Never eaten there, but during the pandemic, got takeaway from there.  Honestly, better Italian all over the city.  

Had a great meal at Roscioli in the West Village.  I also enjoy Emilio's Ballato on Houston and Via Carota.  Haven't been to Rezdora in ages, but it was solid last time I went.  The pasta at Jupiter is very, very good, especially the rabbit.  Foul Witch and Raf's also lean heavily Italian.

However, my go to in Scalinatella (E 61st and 3rd).  Just tell them to take care of you, and they do.

Leaving now, stayed at the Refinery. Have to say that compared to a few of the other places we have stayed, we really liked it. Decent size rooms, restaraunts and rooftop were both good, people were great, near Bryant Park (Christmas village was packed this week) and the subway, easy access from the airport, etc. We will probably move more towards SoHo next time as that seems to be where they all want to spend their time.

7 hours ago, Brew said:

Leaving now, stayed at the Refinery. Have to say that compared to a few of the other places we have stayed, we really liked it. Decent size rooms, restaraunts and rooftop were both good, people were great, near Bryant Park (Christmas village was packed this week) and the subway, easy access from the airport, etc. We will probably move more towards SoHo next time as that seems to be where they all want to spend their time.

We had our holiday party at the Refinery (rented out the rooftop). We were stuck in the elevator for 45 minutes to start the night.  Lol.  

For NYE, we are doing the Olive Garden party again.  Some vids from last year.

• Hook 'Em 1

So we're leaving next Thursday to go to the Billy Joel concert at MSG.  Friday night is dinner at Atera.  Saturday night is Gutenberg.  

Don't have any plans for the daytime.  I've never been to the Museum of New York City--that looks kind of interesting with a subsequent walk through northern Central Park.

Thanks for your suggestions @PenelopeWitherspoon.

• Hook 'Em 1

Really good dinner at Atera. Maybe my best dining experience ever.

its only 14 seats, and you sit around a counter like you’re in someone’s kitchen. There was, of course, a wine pairing. But the much more interesting was the non-alcoholic pairing.

IMG_6785.thumb.jpeg.b7d55a95157ab85a740121e13a2ba159.jpeg

IMG_6787.thumb.jpeg.f4eb0800a824ed2b145ae086a9eddb61.jpeg

Here’s the aesleskiver (or whatever) it was kind of like a cheese puff with truffle.

IMG_6769.thumb.jpeg.bb1068d7855bc81e038377e90dc44d51.jpeg

The hamachi was amazing.

IMG_6771.thumb.jpeg.ff9f485d0b15fffd1987011e7b52b844.jpeg

I mean, it’s A5:

IMG_6776.thumb.jpeg.d8b9e7681b90e65bebe48b2abbece443.jpeg

Is squab my favorite? No. Was it still great? Yeah.

IMG_6777.thumb.jpeg.ef747c7b6c3b869cde113a684b544549.jpeg

The pistachio was nice and light, while the milk on the right was hit with liquid nitrogen.

IMG_6779.thumb.jpeg.99ff6d78c92b2a9f92a6f1a828c23025.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

Has Zabar's always only had one location? 

How's their shipping? I ordered some coffee from them, but I'm a little nervous about ordering bagels. It's going to sit in a box for 3-4 days. 

Side bar: Deli Man is free on Tubi. It's a documentary about Ziggy who founded Kenny and Ziggy's in Houston. He of course grew up in New York. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, Teebox said:

What's the verdict on Keen's?   I haven't been in years and last time (at bar, alone, for lunch), I was pretty non-plussed. 

I don't know exactly how to review it.  

As an experience, it's really cool.  It's an historical site as much as a restaurant.  The pipes smoked by various famous people going back to the Nineteenth Century is really a unique thing.

As a restaurant, it was good and fairly unique.  But my experience was atypical--Mrs.LL and I went before the Billy Joel concert.  So our reservation was at 6:30, and we don't typically eat until 9:00.  So neither one of us were very hungry.  We split a seafood tower (pretty good, but standard fare--hard to give much of a critique on that).  For a second course, she had the lobster bisque (good, not spectacular) and I had the appetizer portion of mutton.  Now, here's the fun thing: you don't see many steakhouses with mutton on the menu.  And I like mutton.  It was good damned mutton.  But I'll also recognize that not everyone digs on the sheep.

And man--they turned that table in an hour.  And that was cool with us, because we were going to the show (and I think we told the waiter we were going to the show).  We didn't exactly feel rushed.  But as we headed out, I had the very conscious thought, "damn--we weren't in there very long."  I'm not sure if that was the standard service plan; I suspect they were hustling on a kind of pre-show plan.  But if that is standard, I would understand how one would feel rushed.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Crown Shy didn’t disappoint. 

IMG-1792.jpg 

IMG-1793.jpg 

IMG-1794.jpg 

IMG-1796.jpg 

IMG-1797.jpg 

Love that place. Great food, great vibe, great service, great food. Yes, I said great food 2x.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Did Dame Saturday but I didn’t take pics. It was fucking great. 

We Thw Notebook, Suffs, Lempicka and Appropriate. 

Appeopriate is amazing. Suffs is very good. Lemoicka is fantastic vocals with a weak book. And I fucking HATED Notebook. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

Did Dame Saturday but I didn’t take pics. It was fucking great. 

We Thw Notebook, Suffs, Lempicka and Appropriate. 

Appeopriate is amazing. Suffs is very good. Lemoicka is fantastic vocals with a weak book. And I fucking HATED Notebook. 

Did the theaters ask you to turn off your cell phone AND your auto-correct?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

I was just joshin’ ya. I’m the same. And sounds like a damn good few evenings. 

That was way more snarky than intended! It was. We’ll be back the first weekend of May to see Cabaret, Uncle Vanya, Enemy of the People and Mary Jane. 

Aim to get Ci Siamo reservations.

We did a count of our Playbills in the binders last night and since January 2013 we’ve seen 104 shows on Broadway/off Broadway. Jesus. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Like 2

I was having lunch with Terrence McNally’s brother yesterday and he got a text from his BIL Tom Kirdahy “started filming Kiss of the Spider Woman with J-LO this week” so that was super cool. A film adaptation of the musical.

• Like 1

I know I’ve mentioned it before, but I’m at the AMNH again today before work and I went to watch the space show at the Hayden Planetarium again. It’s a pretty cool experience, especially when I go in and there was three class groups there. Hearing the reactions of the children to seeing the amazing show happening overhead is always cool. It gives them an early love of science and space. Neil de Grasse Tyson has commented many times that he is an astrophysicist because of his encounter with a planetarium as a child. If you are bringing your kids with you please take them by here to see the show. If the cost is a bit steep I don’t mind giving anyone at least two free tickets you can use because my membership allows me to use two each trip I make in there.