Tell me about New York City

44 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Went last night.  Enjoyed the hell out of that.  He is really fucking awesome.  The take on Born in the USA and the tale on writing it...

I definitely teared up a number of times, especially when he talked about his mom.  Hell, he teared up.  

I would highly recommend people go if they can get a ticket.  Not a single empty seat.  Every seat has a good view.  It is Bruce with 1500 people.  

Yep, I think I was the youngest person there but it was awesome. Agreed that Born In The USA was a highlight. My dad is flying in tonight just to go to the show tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Went downtown for a workout this AM and popped by Russ & Daughters for breakfast before catching the bus back home.

20210716_084345.jpg20210716_090151.jpg

Hell ya. Looks like an everything with Scallion CC and Nova? Terrific order.

I've got Crown Shy (finally) tonight. I am still on the prowl for a Dame reservation that is indoors at a time before 10:30 pm. 

24 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I've got Crown Shy (finally) tonight. I am still on the prowl for a Dame reservation that is indoors at a time before 10:30 pm. 

Yes, that is EXACTLY what the order was.  Sliced and toasted of course.

Excellent.  

I have Dame tonight.  I do not think they are doing any indoor at the moment.  All outdoor.  But I have a 9:15 tonight, so that works.  I am not sure what time I will head downtown, but I want to go early enough with a bottle of wine and chill in Washington Square Park for a bit before.

58 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yes, that is EXACTLY what the order was.  Sliced and toasted of course.

Excellent.  

I have Dame tonight.  I do not think they are doing any indoor at the moment.  All outdoor.  But I have a 9:15 tonight, so that works.  I am not sure what time I will head downtown, but I want to go early enough with a bottle of wine and chill in Washington Square Park for a bit before.

Ah shit, I didn’t realize that. Let me know if that’s the case when you eat. Very jealous. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Dame does have its indoor seating open. I opted to post up at the chefs counter to watch the magic.

Dame is excellent. I started with a Pim's Cup. I also ordered the last bottle of the Geschickt Pino.

I ordered two of the grilled oysters. They come with a green chartreuse hollandaise, and for a bit of theater, they have some green chartreuse they light on fire then pour on the oysters. These oysters though are absolutely fucking outstanding.

Next I did the squid and shishito pepper skewers and the cucumber salad with smoked mussels and dill. Both were absolutely excellent.

For my main, went with the warm lobster tart with morels and green beans.

And for dessert, a cherry and elderflower custard tart.

Everything was absolutely fantastic. This is now my go to seafood spot.

20210716_212252.jpg20210716_210843.jpg20210716_212639.jpg20210716_212634.jpg20210716_213901.jpg20210716_212803.jpg20210716_215233.jpg20210716_221651.jpg20210717_000256.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

That would be a once in a  lifetime meal for my wife and I.  You call it Friday...LOL.

I love the stuff you share in the thread.  It makes me want to visit the City again.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Dame is excellent. I started with a Pim's Cup. I also ordered the last bottle of the Geschickt Pino.

I ordered two of the grilled oysters. They come with a green chartreuse hollandaise, and for a bit of theater, they have some green chartreuse they light on fire then pour on the oysters. These oysters though are absolutely fucking outstanding.

Next I did the squid and shishito pepper skewers and the cucumber salad with smoked mussels and dill. Both were absolutely excellent.

For my main, went with the warm lobster tart with morels and green beans.

And for dessert, a cherry and elderflower custard tart.

Everything was absolutely fantastic. This is now my go to seafood spot.

20210716_212252.jpg20210716_210843.jpg20210716_212639.jpg20210716_212634.jpg20210716_213901.jpg20210716_212803.jpg20210716_215233.jpg20210716_221651.jpg20210717_000256.jpg

Damn…

A 15 minute walk away and yet I am woefully behind. That looks as good as I imagine.

Crown Shy was great. 48 hour Sous Vide Short Rib was drool-worthy and the skin contact portion of their wine list was on point.

My folks came in town last night for the Bruce show (which they both loved). Taking them to comedy cellar tonight followed by dinner at Niche Niche.

• Like 1

Damn…
A 15 minute walk away and yet I am woefully behind. That looks as good as I imagine.
Crown Shy was great. 48 hour Sous Vide Short Rib was drool-worthy and the skin contact portion of their wine list was on point.
My folks came in town last night for the Bruce show (which they both loved). Taking them to comedy cellar tonight followed by dinner at Niche Niche.
I need to go to Niche Niche. I'm going to go sit at the bar at Frenchette after my spa thingy at Aire. I was a little worse for thr wear this AM, but I made my exercise class! I did Uber down here rather than taking the bus and walking though. C'est la vie!

The whole family's going to a wedding in CT in September, and we're spending a few days in the city afterwards. Advice on where to eat with an 8-, 6-, and 4-year-old in tow? We're staying downtown, but open to just about anywhere south or adjacent to Central Park.

The Smith was one of the more kid friendly places we went in nyc. They have multiple locations. Would highly recommend with your crew. Prices will not require a second Morgage to feed your family. Food is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

The Smith was one of the more kid friendly places we went in nyc. They have multiple locations. Would highly recommend with your crew. Prices will not require a second Morgage to feed your family. Food is great.

I always forget about that. Also, another one is PJ Clark's. They have something for everyone.

On 7/10/2021 at 6:09 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Crown Shy was fantastic again - recommend later rez (9:30 for us) and a weekend for it to feel lively.  First time was Thursday and earlier so felt like an after work crowd - FiDi so makes sense.  

Walked a metric shit ton today.  Managed to get my 16 hr fast in so I can be a pig again later.  Did Central Park and some shopping.  Turned out to be fantastic out…

Staying at mandarin oriental and would highly recommend to anyone.  We usually do smaller boutique type places (Crosby Street last time) or Baccarat…probably still our favorite.  

Equinox Columbus Circle now then Carbone!

You should have hit up Per Se. I had not dined there in ages, since 2006 or so. Did the who tasting meal with Waygu, Truffles, wine courses. fuckoing out of sight, dynamite.  they started with The Salmon Cone which is always the amuse-bouch, and the first course was “Oysters and Pearls” with caviar. we revisited that one later in the meal. I'll have to locate the menu copy. 

It was my first meal in NYC in a year. did not disappoint

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, next2naus said:

You should have hit up Per Se. I had not dined there in ages, since 2006 or so. Did the who tasting meal with Waygu, Truffles, wine courses. fuckoing out of sight, dynamite.  they started with The Salmon Cone which is always the amuse-bouch, and the first course was “Oysters and Pearls” with caviar. we revisited that one later in the meal. I'll have to locate the menu copy. 

Love Per Se

9 hours ago, PorscheGuy said:

I second The Smith for same

reasons. 

On 7/17/2021 at 7:00 PM, next2naus said:

i made the salmon tartare cornets at home over covid time.  took me an entire day.  not as good as PS or TFL for some reason.

On 7/17/2021 at 7:09 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Love Per Se

did i ever tell you about the time i had lunch at per se and dinner at eleven madison park on the same day? ;)

time for a return trip.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, sidis said:

i made the salmon tartare cornets at home over covid time.  took me an entire day.  not as good as PS or TFL for some reason.

did i ever tell you about the time i had lunch at per se and dinner at eleven madison park on the same day? ;)

time for a return trip.

Still fasting.  Didn’t need to see this.  🤤 

On 7/16/2021 at 11:32 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Went downtown for a workout this AM and popped by Russ & Daughters for breakfast before catching the bus back home.

20210716_084345.jpg20210716_090151.jpg

I once had a divorce case where the husband, despite claiming poverty, had about $500 worth of Russ and Daughters Bagels and Lox (after the uncharge for them being overnighted) sent to Austin because he had a craving. 

23 minutes ago, hornian said:

I once had a divorce case where the husband, despite claiming poverty, had about $500 worth of Russ and Daughters Bagels and Lox (after the uncharge for them being overnighted) sent to Austin because he had a craving. 

I did this once during covid quarantine (although not quite $500 worth) for a picnic in the park with some friends. So this post hits close to home.

https://www.goldbelly.com/russ-and-daughters

57 minutes ago, hornian said:

31 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I did this once during covid quarantine (although not quite $500 worth) for a picnic in the park with some friends. So this post hits close to home.

https://www.goldbelly.com/russ-and-daughters

I can understand the sentiment.  I never had it delivered, but I have thought about having this and some Peter Luger bacon sent to my parents for their 50th Wedding Anniversary since they won't be able to come up until Fall/Winter.  

I am out on Long Island now because my GF’s daughter is at college orientation. We were in the city Tuesday and Wednesday to visit my son in Williamsburg. 

This wasn’t an eating trip in any way but I had to come to this thread and tell you all that if you ever visit the city, you REALLY need to go have drinks and listen to the music at Hemelmans inside the Carlyle hotel.

Seriously. Just do it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am out on Long Island now because my GF’s daughter is at college orientation. We were in the city Tuesday and Wednesday to visit my son in Williamsburg. 

This wasn’t an eating trip in any way but I had to come to this thread and tell you all that if you ever visit the city, you REALLY need to go have drinks and listen to the music at Hemelmans inside the Carlyle hotel.

Seriously. Just do it.
Bemelmans.

And yeah, it's a classic.
  • Haha 1

Went to Les Trois Chevaux on Saturday night.  That is Angie Mar's new place down from where Beatrice Inn was. The food was outstanding.  The drinks were killer.  Will post photos et al when I have time to write it all up.

Going to Lamia's Fish Market with a friend on Friday.  Then have a reservation for the Chef's Counter at One White Street on August 20th.  

• Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

I had heard about those.  I signed up for the one on August 14.  Anyone want two tickets for Modest Mouse in NYC?  My friend who was supposed to go with me is going to be camping upstate, so I was going to offload the tickets anyway.  :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, midtown said:

What's the feel for the city in the next month with CDC guidelines etc? Looking at mid August for a wknd

As of last weekend, the city was still bumping.  I will tell you how things look tonight and tomorrow.  I have been working a lot, so not been out much this week.  Heading out to dinner tonight at Lamia Fish Market.  

I am doing a cleanse right now, so no fun tales of NY restaurants.  However, will be going for some nice long walks, so will have some cool photos.  

I am also working on getting all my detailed write ups on all the restaurants I have been to done.  

The weather the last couple of days has been fantastic.  Not hot at all.  Slightly overcast with a good breeze and mid-70s.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a reservation for One White Street at 8:30 PM on August 20th for the Chef's counter.  Both my dining companion and her back up have bailed (sigh).  Any of the New York surlyites want to join?  I have one seat.  I would prefer to find a person to join as the chef's counter is only 4 seats, and I do not want to leave a seat open.  If no one is interested, I will call and see if seating just me is ok.  

Set menu is 148 for 6 courses.  Chef is former executive chef at Frenchie in Paris and the Sommelier is the former wine director at EMP.

https://blog.resy.com/2021/07/one-white-street-tribeca/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/22/2021 at 5:02 PM, Orange&White said:

Seriously. Just do it.

On 7/22/2021 at 6:34 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Bemelmans. emoji1787.png

And yeah, it's a classic.

On 7/22/2021 at 7:14 PM, Orange&White said:

Ha! Didn’t even notice I had done that.

Our favorite spot in the city. The only place we have gone to, and will continue to go to, every trip to NY. It's magical.

• Hook 'Em 1