Tell me about New York City

On 7/24/2019 at 3:40 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

850 Sq Ft, so not terribly small.  

Haha, man paying $4K for an 850 sqft place and saying (a) it’s not that much and (b) it’s not that small and (c) sincerely meaning both tells you everything you need to know about living up here....

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

Haha, man paying $4K for an 850 sqft place and saying (a) it’s not that much and (b) it’s not that small and (c) sincerely meaning both tells you everything you need to know about living up here....

The average apartment in NYC is 400 sq ft.  When I lived in NYC in 2007, we paid 4500 for a 3bd/2ba at 91st and 1st that was just over 1,000 sq ft.  So yeah, paying 4k for an 850 sq ft space that is a 1bd is not that small and not that much.  It is all relative.

18 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The average apartment in NYC is 400 sq ft.  When I lived in NYC in 2007, we paid 4500 for a 3bd/2ba at 91st and 1st that was just over 1,000 sq ft.  So yeah, paying 4k for an 850 sq ft space that is a 1bd is not that small and not that much.  It is all relative.

My point was about rents here relative to other parts of the country and not about what a relative bargain/raping this dude is getting...

My point was about rents here relative to other parts of the country and not about what a relative bargain/raping this dude is getting...
1. Not a dude.

2. I would argue rents in SannFran are on par or even more expensive than NYC.

3. NYC is the same from a cost perspective of other large international cities. Hell, it can be a bargain when you think about size compared to London or Paris.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

RCLCO, an analytics firm specializing in real estate data, compiled a study in 2016 that showed the average size of an apartment built in New York City since 2000 is 866 square feet. They also reported that more than half the apartments in competitive markets like New York are 700 square feet or less in size. perhaps choosing a pre-war place cost you some space. 

My last NYC apartment was a 10th floor corner unit overlooking a plaza, 2/2 with storage unit in a full service building, 1200 SQFT, $5.5k. good deal all tings being equal but I pay less now to live on a acre of land in the burns with triple the square feet. At times I miss the city but having a big ass smoker and not paying for parking is huge. it would have cost my another grand for two cars. 

5 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

And I can tell you that all the new buildings I looked at capped their 1 bedrooms at about 750 sq ft, and some of those they wanted 6k for.

Remember, that study includes the New York MSA, which includes Newark and Westchester.

if you cut back on eating out you could afford that but then what would you take pictures of?

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 7:02 PM, Ignatius said:

No shit. 850 sq ft is barely bigger than my master bathroom. I used to live in small flats in Europe during my playing career with no problem but I think I spoiled myself too much now because the thought of living in my bathroom space with no yard sounds horrific. 

I like NYC for weekend trips to grab a bite at Peter Luger's or something and hang out but I can't be in that city more than 2 days. Way too many people crammed into too small a space. 

Just got back yesterday from a trip with the wife.  Neither of us had ever been there as adults.  Had a really good time and walked 31 miles over 3 days.  Fucked up a few times on the trains but nothing terrible (also bought a 10 trip pass on AirTran instead of the Subway).  Weather was perfect other than a 15 minute storm on Friday while we were walking through Central Park. Got to see TKMB on Sunday for pretty cheap as well.  Very good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

Looking for Italian Recs. Can’t get a table at Carbone 

Carbone is fun but I don't really think it's worth the price tag. That place hits the wallet surprisingly hard.  There are great choices in virtually every neighborhood.  Downtown, there is L'Artusi, i Sodi and Babbo in the West Village and Peasant and Il Buco in NoLita/NoHo, all of which take reservations (a month or two in advance). Via Carota might be my favorite restaurant in the city but it is becoming a real fucking beating to get a table at a reasonable hour because they don't take reservations.  

I suppose all of these are on the trendier side, so if you are looking for old school red sauce, probably not the best choices.

7 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I would say Via Carota if you are ok waiting a bit (i.e. go get a cocktail across the street while you wait).  

There is a relatively new place, Rezdora, in Flatiron by Stefano Secchi.  (https://ny.eater.com/2019/5/10/18563433/rezdora-flatiron-opens-stefano-secchi)

Rezdora is very tasty. 

5 hours ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

Looking for Italian Recs. Can’t get a table at Carbone 

Babbo is a perfect Italian dinner night whenever we go.  To me, it’s all of our favorite NYC things wrapped into a dinner.  But, I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve only tried 10 or so different Italian places in New York City so I’m kind of an amateur.  But I came by it via one of the most NY people I’ve ever known who would agree so I put a little faith in it.  FWIW

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

I might go after Rezdôra. Any tips on getting a reservation? Calling vs using Resy?

How’s Il Buco? Interior looks like a place my wife would enjoy. 

Pretty sure it’s Resy 1 month in advance at midnight.

Il Buco is a nice old school-ish atmosphere, especially if you ask to be seated in the wine cellar.  Parents loved it when I brought them.  I think the food might be just barely a notch below the other places I mentioned, but still very good.

11 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Pretty sure it’s Resy 1 month in advance at midnight.

Il Buco is a nice old school-ish atmosphere, especially if you ask to be seated in the wine cellar.  Parents loved it when I brought them.  I think the food might be just barely a notch below the other places I mentioned, but still very good.

DOn't forget the newer Il Bucco

23 hours ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

I might go after Rezdôra. Any tips on getting a reservation? Calling vs using Resy?

How’s Il Buco? Interior looks like a place my wife would enjoy. 

Resy looks pretty booked up.  That being said, pick the day you want to go, and have them tell you if something comes available.  Or, you can always pop by and see if they have any walk in tables.  I have gotten incredibly lucky this summer without reservations.

12 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Resy looks pretty booked up.  That being said, pick the day you want to go, and have them tell you if something comes available.  Or, you can always pop by and see if they have any walk in tables.  I have gotten incredibly lucky this summer without reservations.

That wait list (or whatever they call it) is the coolest thing about Resy.  I’ve gotten a lot of “hard to get”reservations with it.

That said, I agree the walk in might always be your best bet.  I mean, honestly, what are they gonna do?  Tell you to go have a drink at the bar while they get you a table?  Okay...that doesn’t suck.

12 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

That wait list (or whatever they call it) is the coolest thing about Resy.  I’ve gotten a lot of “hard to get”reservations with it.

That said, I agree the walk in might always be your best bet.  I mean, honestly, what are they gonna do?  Tell you to go have a drink at the bar while they get you a table?  Okay...that doesn’t suck.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Agreed.  I have been very lucky at Frenchette this summer with NO reservation.  Helps that they keep 1/3 of the tables and the bar for walk ins.  Also helps that I generally go pretty early (before 7:30).  Might have to do that again this weekend.

Going next month for the wife’s birthday. I have the following locked down.

Friday Night: Rezdora
Saturday Brunch: Boucherie
Saturday Night (During Rice game): Polo Bar

Need pizza recs. Plenty of time to get good za for lunch on Friday and Sunday.

I follow the OneBite app and Angelo’s Coal Oven has high scores near where we’re staying. However the pizza just looks okay to me. Rubirosa looks good to me. Recs please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Landomatic said:
Damn that’s badass.  Report back.  I miss NY

@PenelopeWitherspoon

It was everything you would imagine it to be. We had 2 spots at one of the 10 seater tables after a short wait at the bar. We had the waiter design the menu for us since they don’t have one set.

Meatballs and spinach for apps

7b118a8aceda6fa30ce5cca9aefb12bd.jpg

Seafood salad, baked clams and homemade mozzarella with roasted red peppers for the 1st course

4fe811b27035bf7b40765e405f4464ea.jpg

Soft shell crab and fried mozzarella for the 2nd course

b765082d35dac4158b1e71ea008ff796.jpg

Sirloin with vinegary peppers, charbroiled lemon chicken and peas with onions and prosciutto for the main

dac3a9f8a64cfd013d5b8ea5d913bceb.jpg

Assorted desserts to finish things off

ec60c53b8fba7495e56a63bc22baff3f.jpg

We had a few bottles of red wine in there and cappuccinos with dessert. Everything was served in just under 3 hours. Amazing place and well worth the price.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

Going next month for the wife’s birthday. I have the following locked down.

Friday Night: Rezdora
Saturday Brunch: Boucherie
Saturday Night (During Rice game): Polo Bar

Need pizza recs. Plenty of time to get good za for lunch on Friday and Sunday.

I follow the OneBite app and Angelo’s Coal Oven has high scores near where we’re staying. However the pizza just looks okay to me. Rubirosa looks good to me. Recs please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angelo’s is probably a top 5 pizza spot in Manhattan. Stick with that

And call it “Za” when you order it

27 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

@PenelopeWitherspoon

It was everything you would imagine it to be. We had 2 spots at one of the 10 seater tables after a short wait at the bar. We had the waiter design the menu for us since they don’t have one set.

Meatballs and spinach for apps

7b118a8aceda6fa30ce5cca9aefb12bd.jpg

Seafood salad, baked clams and homemade mozzarella with roasted red peppers for the 1st course

4fe811b27035bf7b40765e405f4464ea.jpg

Soft shell crab and fried mozzarella for the 2nd course

b765082d35dac4158b1e71ea008ff796.jpg

Sirloin with vinegary peppers, charbroiled lemon chicken and peas with onions and prosciutto for the main

dac3a9f8a64cfd013d5b8ea5d913bceb.jpg

Assorted desserts to finish things off

ec60c53b8fba7495e56a63bc22baff3f.jpg

We had a few bottles of red wine in there and cappuccinos with dessert. Everything was served in just under 3 hours. Amazing place and well worth the price.

Bucket list meal right there, man.

• Like 1

Any recs on a walking tour company? Definitely not looking for a bus tour. I'm taking my 16 year old daughter for labor day weekend. It's her first trip, and only my second. Staying in midtown. 

Also looking for steak restaurant recommendation for adult birthday celebration. Already had Sparks in April. 

21 minutes ago, RiverwalkMiner said:

Any recs on a walking tour company? Definitely not looking for a bus tour. I'm taking my 16 year old daughter for labor day weekend. It's her first trip, and only my second. Staying in midtown. 

Also looking for steak restaurant recommendation for adult birthday celebration. Already had Sparks in April. 

The thing about a Gray Line tour is, you can get off.  And get back on.  I think it's a pretty good way for a newb to see the city.  A walking tour is gonna be tough.  NYC ain't Boston.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

The thing about a Gray Line tour is, you can get off.  And get back on.  I think it's a pretty good way for a newb to see the city.  A walking tour is gonna be tough.  NYC ain't Boston.

Agreed.  IIRC, they're usually good for a 24hr. period. 

2 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

7746396652_78ab164a3d_b.jpg

Gonna get a big dish of beef chow mien… 

6 hours ago, RiverwalkMiner said:

I'm partial to Keen's for the mutton chop, friends prefer the prime rib there, but there are plenty of fantastic steak restaurant options in that city.

19 hours ago, RiverwalkMiner said:

If you want a walking tour you'll have to pick a neighborhood.  We did a food centric one in Chinatown when my Mom was in town, which was quite enjoyable.  I'm sure you can google any specific neighborhood/walking tour and find plenty of options.  As others have said, not a bad idea to do the bus thing to figure out what areas really interest you, and then focus on those in the following days.

One of my favorite birthdays...the Cote de Boeuf at Minetta Tavern. (Pic is from the interwebs, but it's accurate)

spacer.png

• Like 3

20 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The thing about a Gray Line tour is, you can get off.  And get back on.  I think it's a pretty good way for a newb to see the city.

This.  Pretty much the first thing I suggested to anyone coming to visit me when I lived in the city.  It takes you to every attraction you want to see.  If you have time take the one that goes all the way up to the cloisters

Did a quick weekend recently to take some clients to the Houston v. NYCFC game.  I have not been since construction turned LGA into worse of a shitshow than its previous incarnation.  The shuttle to the cab stand wasn't working, so I somehow managed to find an uber driver that was willing to brave the hellscape for the meager fare to Flushing and crushed an order of Szechuan Wontons at the White Bear on Prince Street.  An uber from LGA to the UWS was going to run $70.  $13 to flushing, $7 for wontons, and $14 for a LIRR ticket to Penn.  Won that round.  

Spent some time running the westside greenway and did a 12 mile run in Central Park.  Along the way I hopped a citi bike and rode it from 77th and Madison to 39th and 5th in Brooklyn.  Nothing like pretending you're Quicksilver Kevin Bacon on a 50lb lumbering beast.  Those CVT drivetrains are the bee's knees. 

Ate bagels.  Drank coffee.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spoosner said:

If you want a walking tour you'll have to pick a neighborhood.  We did a food centric one in Chinatown when my Mom was in town, which was quite enjoyable.  I'm sure you can google any specific neighborhood/walking tour and find plenty of options.  As others have said, not a bad idea to do the bus thing to figure out what areas really interest you, and then focus on those in the following days.

One of my favorite birthdays...the Cote de Boeuf at Minetta Tavern. (Pic is from the interwebs, but it's accurate)

spacer.png

That just made my list next time my dad comes up.  

I add the Cote de Boeuf at Frenchette for consideration.  

i-vqc5cHG-X4.jpg

• Like 1