Tell me about New York City

4 hours ago, Spoosner said:

If you want a walking tour you'll have to pick a neighborhood.  We did a food centric one in Chinatown when my Mom was in town, which was quite enjoyable.  I'm sure you can google any specific neighborhood/walking tour and find plenty of options.  As others have said, not a bad idea to do the bus thing to figure out what areas really interest you, and then focus on those in the following days.

One of my favorite birthdays...the Cote de Boeuf at Minetta Tavern. (Pic is from the interwebs, but it's accurate)

spacer.png

Yes, this is what I meant to say, neighborhood walking tour. Lots of options on Trip Advisor. Beetlejuice tickets are booked and will monitor TKTS app for second show. 

Just booked a trip for wife's birthday in January staying at The Mark Hotel.  Only place I can really remember eating near there was Daniel for Thanksgiving last year and didn't care for it at all.  Way too expensive and stuffy.  But love getting drinks at Bemelmans which is within walking distance.  Any other must do food and drink recs around there?  Also, thinking about hitting a show this trip which we've never done.  Thoughts for a couple of broadway newbs?

Have some rep. That looks outstanding.

Also 5 glasses of wine and a cocktail? Well done my friend. Well done.

*(Unless you were just creeping on the girl in the white)

Not that there is anything wrong with being a lesbian, but I'm not into girls. Besides, she was there on a date with her husband.

34 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Not that there is anything wrong with being a lesbian, but I'm not into girls. Besides, she was there on a date with her husband. emoji1787.png

Pretty sure he assumed you’re a dude.  Shocking for you on this site, I know.  Anyway, that all looks amazing.  Always enjoy your posts.  Now give me some UES recs for my next trip there, would ya. 🙏

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

Pretty sure he assumed you’re a dude.  Shocking for you on this site, I know.  Anyway, that all looks amazing.  Always enjoy your posts.  Now give me some UES recs for my next trip there, would ya. 🙏

Oh, I know he assumed I was a dude.  Thus the reason I phrased it the way I did.  Though GB should know I am not a dude after 10 years.

UES, like how far up?  I think Le Veau D'Or should be open sometime in the fall.  For those who do not know, Le Veau D'Or is one of the oldest French Bistros in NYC.  The Frenchette guys bought it from the current owner in April.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/16/dining/frenchette-le-veau-dor.html

I have also had some good meals at Scalinatella.  

Not quite UES, but Sutton Place is Bistro Vendome.  They make some excellent mussels.  

I will see if I can find some more. 

Oh by the way, found out something fun the other day.  So my apartment is in Sutton Place.  I share the block with the condo building that Donald Trump Jr. lives in.  So today, around 3:30 while I was walking the dogs, I got to see and say hi to his secret service detail.  I encourage Harvey to pee on the bushes everytime we walk by, signs saying curb your dog be damned. /sorry for going cloak room

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Oh, I know he assumed I was a dude.  Thus the reason I phrased it the way I did.  Though GB should know I am not a dude after 10 years.

UES, like how far up?  I think Le Veau D'Or should be open sometime in the fall.  For those who do not know, Le Veau D'Or is one of the oldest French Bistros in NYC.  The Frenchette guys bought it from the current owner in April.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/16/dining/frenchette-le-veau-dor.html

I have also had some good meals at Scalinatella.  

Not quite UES, but Sutton Place is Bistro Vendome.  They make some excellent mussels.  

I will see if I can find some more. 

We’re staying at The Mark so not sure how far that is but it’s okay, I’m all ears to anything around there.  Will check those places out for sure.

Funny story about Don Jr.  We were walking our dog by our place in Dallas a year or so ago and started to notice a lot of black SUVs parked around.  At first, we just thought it was just an unusual amount of Ubers.  Then noticed all the Uber drivers were standing outside their vehicles.  Then noticed the Uber drivers all had ear pieces.  Then noticed that several were packing.  It was a birthday party for Ted Cruz and Don Jr was there.

Anyway, no cloak room.  Thanks for the recs.

Oh by the way, found out something fun the other day.  So my apartment is in Sutton Place.  I share the block with the condo building that Donald Trump Jr. lives in.  So today, around 3:30 while I was walking the dogs, I got to see and say hi to his secret service detail.  I encourage Harvey to pee on the bushes everytime we walk by, signs saying curb your dog be damned. /sorry for going cloak room

Off topic, Check out Biscuits and Bath for dog sitters. There’s one in Sutton Place. PM for more details.

Alright you boys.  Heading up there for a wedding.  Staying at the Parker just south of Central Park.  One wedding event at Becco (46th and 8thish).

Have a city hater in tow, so we are going to spend most of our time walking in the Park (where there is green, and air).  Any recs for nice lunch/brunch/bar just east or west of the park?   Have wife and two adult kids in tow and they are all fitbitters so we plan to get the steps in.  And is there a point where we should turn around (reservoir)or should we head all the way up to 110th?  Remember, the wife is very nervous in big cities.  So trying to figure out the quaintest part of NYC to get her to.  

I figure I'm going to try to stick my head into McSorley's to have a beer in honor of Joe Mitchell, but other than that I don't really have any set agenda.  Wife is leaving a day before us and we are going to do the NY Media boat tour in the AM and then maybe just work our way back from the Battery up through lower manhattan.  Did highline and the Villages last year.  

32 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Alright you boys.  Heading up there for a wedding.  Staying at the Parker just south of Central Park.  One wedding event at Becco (46th and 8thish).

Have a city hater in tow, so we are going to spend most of our time walking in the Park (where there is green, and air).  Any recs for nice lunch/brunch/bar just east or west of the park?   Have wife and two adult kids in tow and they are all fitbitters so we plan to get the steps in.  And is there a point where we should turn around (reservoir)or should we head all the way up to 110th?  Remember, the wife is very nervous in big cities.  So trying to figure out the quaintest part of NYC to get her to.  

I figure I'm going to try to stick my head into McSorley's to have a beer in honor of Joe Mitchell, but other than that I don't really have any set agenda.  Wife is leaving a day before us and we are going to do the NY Media boat tour in the AM and then maybe just work our way back from the Battery up through lower manhattan.  Did highline and the Villages last year.  

On the west side, I like JG Melon for lunch. Great burger. 

Clinton Hall is a good family-friendly place in lower Manhattan with good beer and decent food.

Red Rooster in Harlem. Cafe D'Alsace in UES. Also Il Divo is supposed to be good. I like St. Ambroeous on Madison personally.

If wife is nervous, rather than CP, go up to the Met Cloisters. Absolutely stunning.

While you are up there, you guys can walk to Van Cortlandt park and Hamilton Grange. I'd imagine those parts of town might be less crowded than Central Park.

2 minutes ago, next2naus said:

The whole Hudson River park is nice as it's open air and has river views. the West Village is "quainte". WHy so nervous in big cities? The crime is NYC is possibly lower than where you live and you will see Police everywhere. 

My wife knows more about it than you.  Or anyone else.  Or statistics.  Of course crime in NY is horrible. 

She just really hates cities.  About a year after our wedding, a friend of ours invited us to his time share in South Hampton for  a few days.

"What day are we going into the city?" I asked the wife.

"We aren't," she said.  

She is leaving a day early so me and the more adventurous kid are going to have a day to do what we want without worrying about her.

We are taking the Media Boat Tour, which I am kind of excited about.

on-our-adventure-sightseeing.jpg

Cloisters seems like a good choice. Of course that will involve either a very expensive car or a fairly long subway ride, which seems like it might scare your spouse (note: it’s of course completely safe and much more efficient than a car).

She might like the West Village west of 7th Avenue and south of 12 Street all the way over to the Hudson River Park (as n2n mentioned).

I would suggest Prospect Park, which is just as beautiful as CP and way less crowded, but I feel like just getting to and being in Brooklyn may be too adventurous.

Subways are absolutely out.  Not happening.  She lets her daughters handle the Uber/Lyft. 

The West Village is a good idea, especially since we will be down at the world trade center around noon after the boat tour,and we could work our way back.  She'd be easy to talk into something like the White Horse Tavern or the Spotted Pig because she likes her beer.

27 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Subways are absolutely out.  Not happening.  She lets her daughters handle the Uber/Lyft. 

The West Village is a good idea, especially since we will be down at the world trade center around noon after the boat tour,and we could work our way back.  She'd be easy to talk into something like the White Horse Tavern or the Spotted Pig because she likes her beer.

Ha, I live on that block. Upright (just one block south on Hudson) would be a better choice for beer than both of those. They have a bunch of good local selections on tap. Walk her over a block to Magnolia Bakery and grab a cup of banana pudding. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tantric superman said:

My wife knows more about it than you.  Or anyone else.  Or statistics.  Of course crime in NY is horrible. 

She just really hates cities.  About a year after our wedding, a friend of ours invited us to his time share in South Hampton for  a few days.

"What day are we going into the city?" I asked the wife.

"We aren't," she said.  

Your wife who doesn't like cities and or NYC especially knows more about it, and its crime rate than a resident of 20 years? OK, I'll take your word for it. Where do you live in TX? https://www.baruch.cuny.edu/nycdata/public_safety/crime-selectcities.htm

The boat is uber touristy, but if you are a photographer it might be fun.

If I was in the Hamptons for a limited period of time I would also pass on the wasted time and agita of traffic to go into NYC for a "day"

Have a wonderful trip and come visit again.

Agreed to go with my wife to a preview show of Little Shop of Horrors with Jonathan Groff tonight. In exchange, we are going to Rezdora for a late dinner. [mention=550]PenelopeWitherspoon[/mention], any must orders in your opinion?
The Tagliolini was amazing. We got it as part of the pasta tasting, but I'm dying to go back and have it as my meal.
  • Like 1

Agreed to go with my wife to a preview show of Little Shop of Horrors with Jonathan Groff tonight. In exchange, we are going to Rezdora for a late dinner. [mention=550]PenelopeWitherspoon[/mention], any must orders in your opinion?
The Tagliolini was amazing. We got it as part of the pasta tasting, but I'm dying to go back and have it as my meal.