The Terror - AMC Series (Mar 26) - 1840s Northwest Passage, Mutiny, Cannibals

atomheartbevo

53 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I like the ending overall (Captain is now an Eskimo, he has nothing to go back to), but there was a lot of WTF in that finale for me.

1) Goodsir poisons himself in a brilliant ploy to poison the cannibals, but this is ultimately for naught, as they are all eaten by polar bear monster.  Is that right? Wait, but did the polar bear monster die from the poison?  How did it die so quickly?

2) WTF was going on with the chain at the end? Was it tied to a bloke that the monster ate?

3) How is Hickey not sick at all?  How did he know that Lady Silence's tongue thing was an offering to the monster?  Why is this even an offering?  WTF?

4) Why is lady silence banished?  Because the monster died?

Can anyone explain?

1. asphyxiation.  although there was probably a small metaphorical element of its mortality tied to the fate of the crew.  i.e. it existed to destroy them

2. iirc

3. hickey was as clever as he was crazy.  i think he connected the dots between the old man being mute, and her, and the suspicion that they controlled tuunbaq.  

4. loosely related to #1 - that once tuunbaq was done, her role was also done?

52 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Want to watch the last episode again, but damn this was a strong series from start to finish.  I seriously want that cast and crew for another series.

Totally agree on this - the series was incredibly well done and acted.  A large part of this is likely due to the cast being exclusively british - they are just much better actors.

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

1. asphyxiation.  although there was probably a small metaphorical element of its mortality tied to the fate of the crew.  i.e. it existed to destroy them

2. iirc

3. hickey was as clever as he was crazy.  i think he connected the dots between the old man being mute, and her, and the suspicion that they controlled tuunbaq.  

4. loosely related to #1 - that once tuunbaq was done, her role was also done?

re: #4, I think the old man (her father maybe) that was shot and killed was the shaman for the tribe and helped keep the tuunbaq in line, it was kind of their "guard dog".  When he (the old man) died, I think she could have become shaman if she had been able to keep the little carved figurine he had in his coat, that the sailors threw away.  That's why she had to cut her tongue out, kind a "shaman in training", then they sent her out with a new figurine (representing their tribe maybe), to reign in the tuunbaq again and then she would become shaman.  With tuunbaq dead, there was no reason for the tribe to keep her around.  And perhaps since she (inadvertently) let the tuunbaq be killed, she was shunned from the tribe...  $.02

Totally agree on this - the series was incredibly well done and acted.  A large part of this is likely due to the cast being exclusively british - they are just much better actors.

I say this all the time, American actors don’t hold a candle to British actors

• 1 month later...

http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-terrror-renewed-season-2/

The Terror will continue to add its unique twist to historic events. AMC has renewed the gripping horror drama for Season 2.

The new season will be set during World War II and follow the horrific journey of Japanese-Americans from life in Southern California to internment camps and war in the Pacific. Season 2 will be executive-produced by True Blood's Alexander Woo with Godzilla's Max Borenstein serving as the new showrunner. 10 new episodes are expected to arrive sometime in 2019.

This storyline is a far cry from Season 1, which was based on the book of the same name by Dan Simmons, followed the British Royal Navy's catastrophic expedition to find the Northwest Passage through Canada in the 1840s. As the crew sailed the freezing waters, they found themselves being haunted by a menacing creature.

Soo Hugh, who served as co-showrunner and executive producer on Season 1, previously told TV Guide that the series was always meant to be an anthology series. "When AMC greenlit the show now almost three years ago, they greenlit it as an anthology show," she said. "Meaning Season 1 would be the story of the Franklin Expedition, and subsequent seasons would take on a new narrative that carried the DNA that we established in Season 2."

While the new season will take place in a different time and place and feature an all-new cast, you can expect to see that familiar theme of terror, supernatural mystique and historical drama intertwined in the new episodes.

The Terror returns for Season 2 in 2019.

Okay....did not expect this, but could be interesting.  

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I can't believe no one else is watching this series.  I'm now almost caught up (still need to watch last night's episode), and it's really good.
Some excellent performances, the cinematography is fantastic, and it's spooky as hell to boot.

I really enjoyed the first season. I’ll get around to this one, just too many other shows going on now. Plus college football.