The Terror - AMC Series (Mar 26) - 1840s Northwest Passage, Mutiny, Cannibals

atomheartbevo

10 episodes, good reviews. Ridley Scott executive producing, Ciarán Hinds (Rome, Game of Thrones), Tobias Menzies (Rome, Game of Thrones). 

"It is a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror to the Arctic, in 1845–1848, to force the Northwest Passage. In the novel, while Franklin and his crew are plagued by starvation and illness, and forced to contend with mutiny and cannibalism, they are stalked across the bleak Arctic landscape by a monster."

http://www.amc.com/shows/the-terror

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnN7Aad3c7A

• Like 1

By the way, in recent years they have found both ships.

Franklin%27s_Lost_Expedition_-_Sonar_Ima

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/nov/02/secrets-of-john-franklins-doomed-voyage-north-west-passage

Franklin had set off from Greenhithe in Kent with 129 men to find the Northwest Passage in well-provided sail ships that had been fitted with steam-driven propellers to help them manoeuvre in pack ice. The holds were filled with a three-year supply of tinned provisions. Franklin’s two ships were observed, by whalers, sailing into Lancaster Sound in late July 1845. They were never seen again. After several years of mounting concern for Franklin and his men, Britain became obsessed with his disappearance and more than 40 expeditions were launched to find him. For each mission, his widow, Jane, wrote a letter to be handed to her husband on his rescue. Each time, it was returned unopened.

The truth was uncovered by the Scottish explorer John Rae in the 1850s. After interviewing Inuits, he learned that Franklin had died in 1847, two years after his ships became trapped in ice. Later, his men, by now starving, started to eat each other. Not surprisingly, Victorian society was appalled by the story and Rae was denounced in a campaign instigated by Lady Jane and waged by Charles Dickens as chief propagandist. Rae had no right to believe “a race of savages”, Dickens claimed. It was far more likely the Inuits had killed Franklin’s men themselves.

The issue was not fully resolved until 1997, when blade marks on the bones of crew discovered on King William Island were found to have cut marks consistent with the men having been cut up and eaten. Trapped in ice for years, and afflicted by scurvy, starvation and possibly lead poisoning from their poorly preserved tins of food, the men had died the grimmest of deaths.

Videos: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/12/hms-terror-wreck-found-arctic-nearly-170-years-northwest-passage-attempt

13 hours ago, The Dude said:

I read it several years and brain cells ago. Will watch

Read it as well years ago and realized I would be dead by the 3rd day. And I like the cold. Swedish blood amd such. 

Edited by DaysOff

14 hours ago, MillerEP said:

What a coincidence. I Just read "Endurance: the Ernest Shackleton expedition" book last month. Men were made of some stout stuff back then.

Love that book, and this looks to be right along those lines.  AMC does stuff like this pretty well.

14 hours ago, MillerEP said:

What a coincidence. I Just read "Endurance: the Ernest Shackleton expedition" book last month. Men were made of some stout stuff back then.

I saw some jagoff on youtube make the "hoosh" that they kept talking about eating in the book ....you live off of that stuff, seal meat and penguin for 2 years all while freezing and wet you're a tough bastard 

The actual terror to me is the guy in the diving suit checking out the hull.  I didn't realize they even had full diving suits/helmets in the 1840s, but they apparently were starting to show up in the 1830s.

Seems like those guys wouldn't have much of a lifespan.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

There was an “experience” at SXSW?  What was that like?  Did they dunk you in a pool of freezing water?  

it was in a tractor trailer. they took you in, trapped you inside, blew snow in your face, sat you in a wooden boat, the walls and ceiling became screens and they showed new scenes from the series. it was pretty cool. 

5 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

it was in a tractor trailer. they took you in, trapped you inside, blew snow in your face, sat you in a wooden boat, the walls and ceiling became screens and they showed new scenes from the series. it was pretty cool. 

This would be a wild series to watch in some kind of 360/VR view.

I didn't realize it was a series at first, I saw it on the channel guide just as it was about to end, so I set the DVR to tape the repeat later that night, thought it was just a 2-hour movie.  Watched it the other night with the wife, we both loved it, I don't know anything about the book so curious to see if this plays as a straight docu-drama or goes off in some David Lynch-land (definitely felt that way a couple of times...).

Edited by UTCzech III

On 3/29/2018 at 8:16 AM, VinyVango said:

The overall "vibe" reminds me a bit of Taboo (the excellent Tom Hardy series).

Plus a dash of "Copper." 

We really enjoyed it. It just blows my mind to think about the way shit was back in the day. Those dudes had the kind of balls that really doesn't even exist anymore besides astronauts.  

10 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Plus a dash of "Copper." 

We really enjoyed it. It just blows my mind to think about the way shit was back in the day. Those dudes had the kind of balls that really doesn't even exist anymore besides astronauts.  

But they didn't have brass balls, because that would have just stuck to their legs and pulled the skin off when they moved.

On 3/27/2018 at 8:39 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Does anybody else show two episodes?  With the second being “Gore”?

I had to pay $2.99 to watch it on Verizon Fios.. it's on demand but they are charging to watch it and that episode isn't re-airing at all this week.  I set my DVR to record the series.