The Terror - AMC Series (Mar 26) - 1840s Northwest Passage, Mutiny, Cannibals

atomheartbevo

19 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

I'm watching it with subtitles on.

Yeah, we have to do that as well, my wife cannot "hear" English accents at all.  I'm pretty good with most accents, and I even had trouble with some of the words, doesn't help that they all speak in that low, English reserve.  Gotta say, did not see that ending coming the other night (no spoilers).

Since we're not really spoilering, but would feel bad if I ruined an episode of this great series,  i'll put my SPOILER content far down below.

Seeing Sir John's leg prepared for burial and placed on a nice little pillow fuckin killed me. And did Hickey take a shit on that dude's bed? That's cold.

it's a shame they aren't more diplomatic with lady silence.  she is their best hope at survival.  i don't see how the crew stays so calm.  goes to show you how stupid they were back then.  the crew is dropping like flies (at what should be an alarming rate), there's a monster polar bear wreaking havoc, the captain is dead, the new captain is in detox, their food is tainted, ice is squeezing and about to shatter the hull of one of the ships, it's -50.  Oh, and they are down to two bottles of whiskey.   They need to find a land route and get the fuck out of there.

it's a shame they aren't more diplomatic with lady silence.  she is their best hope at survival.  i don't see how the crew stays so calm.  goes to show you how stupid they were back then.  the crew is dropping like flies (at what should be an alarming rate), there's a monster polar bear wreaking havoc, the captain is dead, the new captain is in detox, their food is tainted, ice is squeezing and about to shatter the hull of one of the ships, it's -50.  Oh, and they are down to two bottles of whiskey.   They need to find a land route and get the fuck out of there.

Perhaps. But then they become frozen treats for the Tuunbaq as they try to escape.

all season, they've made this tuunbaq into some kind of mythological monster.  turns out it just looks like a polar bear.  the thing is, it hasn't been behaving like a polar bear.  it's been doing some supernatural feats.  i'm wondering if the men aren't suffering from lead poisoning and going cuckoo.  either that or it's cabin fever ala jack nicholson in the shining.  sailors be going nuts yo.

I was watching with the closed caption on again, and during the questioning scene the captions were blocking out the "actual" captions on the screen.  I got most of it, but I missed the line where Lady Silence says something like "you know how to end this and .......".  I'll go back and watch later with captions off but was wondering if anyone could fill me in, thx.

Also, I don't get Mr. Hickey's angle, just what the fuck is he up to, planning a mutiny?  Always with that damn grin on his face...  And did he steal the ring from the marine that had just died to give it to his boyfriend?  Cold, literally.

I think Hickey was already a bad guy and then he became insane like a number of other men but because of his personality he was able to channel it and become a leader of a mutiny although clearly deranged

3 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

I was watching with the closed caption on again, and during the questioning scene the captions were blocking out the "actual" captions on the screen.  I got most of it, but I missed the line where Lady Silence says something like "you know how to end this and .......".  I'll go back and watch later with captions off but was wondering if anyone could fill me in, thx.

i'd forgotten she said that.  it does seem like he knows more than he lets on, like he's holding something back.  maybe a sobriety will make him a more effective captain.

54 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Other than one trunk of costumes, everything for the carnival was re-purposed.  The tents were made from sails, etc.    What I am wondering is if the man bear demon ripped out her tongue or she had to do it herself.

It looked like she was cutting it out with a shell while the man-bear sat nearby.

No shit.  Is he just a straight up psychopath who killed the real Hickey just to get on the boat?  For some buggery and cannibalism?  The original Hannibal the Cannibal.  Only 3 episodes left, this is going by too fast, not ready for it to be over.

what kind of maintenance work does the crew have to do while the ship is locked in the ice?

also, why dont they build some sort of crude fortification... how about a small moat around the boat? (ice too tough).  what about spare timber and such to make stakes/punji sticks

I like the ending overall (Captain is now an Eskimo, he has nothing to go back to), but there was a lot of WTF in that finale for me.

1) Goodsir poisons himself in a brilliant ploy to poison the cannibals, but this is ultimately for naught, as they are all eaten by polar bear monster.  Is that right? Wait, but did the polar bear monster die from the poison?  How did it die so quickly?

2) WTF was going on with the chain at the end? Was it tied to a bloke that the monster ate?

3) How is Hickey not sick at all?  How did he know that Lady Silence's tongue thing was an offering to the monster?  Why is this even an offering?  WTF?

4) Why is lady silence banished?  Because the monster died?

Can anyone explain?