The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

On 9/3/2019 at 7:42 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Ah, geez, Mr. Swayze, I always always love your pics and to be fair you posted a warning, but that first one- Wow, I don't know if I want to know what that is.

Almost looks like a scene from True Detective 1.

So after messing with it some I've figured out that I'll just have to use the damn Adobe shit in 800x600 if I want to be able to see the menus and their labels. fml. Oh well, it has some features that I want to play with so I guess I'll suffer. 

There was a horse show again this weekend but with the exception of some reining horses yesterday it was pretty much devoid of action. At least of the equine variety. A whole lot of people just sitting on their horses or riding very slowly in a very stately manner. Makes for much easier photography for a change at least. This shot is pretty much right out of the camera, just cropped it a bit.

DSC_2673_00001_02.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DougO said:

Is that with the 180mm? Has a nice look to it.

No, that was with the 85mm, poor girl was probably only 10 feet away. I came up a walkway to the arena and turned to my right and she was sitting there on her horse just a few feet away.

I did get to use your lens to do some birding in there though.

DSC_2586_00001.jpg

Edited by El Diablo

The 180 is a really nice lens but I just cannot get it to consistently get a sharp focus in there. It does fine in better lighting so I'm thinking it has something to do with that. I've also found that it's a bit much in the way of magnification in there. With the way the horses and riders are moving around the arena it's easier to move myself around with the 85 once I know where to be. I probably need to reprogram my thinking a bit about how to use it too but with the focus issue it's a bit frustrating. I keep trying it though, trying to find what works more often etc... but it's been hit or miss with the focus so it's been hard to pin down.

9 hours ago, El Diablo said:

The 180 is a really nice lens but I just cannot get it to consistently get a sharp focus in there. It does fine in better lighting so I'm thinking it has something to do with that. I've also found that it's a bit much in the way of magnification in there. With the way the horses and riders are moving around the arena it's easier to move myself around with the 85 once I know where to be. I probably need to reprogram my thinking a bit about how to use it too but with the focus issue it's a bit frustrating. I keep trying it though, trying to find what works more often etc... but it's been hit or miss with the focus so it's been hard to pin down.

Your cowgirl pic is very nice. As a mama, that would be one I would frame.

@RichUT I want to go to there. That is lovely. The colors of everything are fantastic.

@DougO I used your 180 exclusively today just because. I haven't looked thru what I got yet but just from checking the back of the camera while I was shooting it seems like it does a good job of focusing on things that are fairly close but when they start to get further away the shots get blurry. It could just be that because of the shutter speeds I'm using indoors that it's motion blur rearing its head. This gal was sitting around 15' away from me. Shot probably would have been sharper if I had the aperture shut down a bit but I've been using it wide open.

DSC_2740_00001.jpg

I may give that a try. No horse show next weekend so I guess I'll be messing with the post processing software. This video was shot from probably 30-40 yds away. Have to remember that the 180 is mounted on a DX body so crop factor really becomes an issue in an arena this size. Also forgot that the quick release plate for the tripod was on the other camera body so hand held.

I saw that Baylor is playing Tennessee in volleyball Saturday afternoon, tickets are $1. I might give that a try with the 180mm you loaned me. I may give you a shout to talk me thru setting the white balance with a sheet of paper this time. Indoor lighting seems to just suck ass in general for messing with overall color. There's a soccer match vs Arkansas this evening but I'm not going to try getting off of work and then rushing down there for that. 

Scrolling through the pages of photos shot with expired film reminded me of some old videos my FIL put together, burned to a DVD and sent to us recently. Home movies from 1924-1930! They were mostly set in Galveston and vacations to Colorado. It included a visit to Buffalo Bill's grave, which at the time was no more than 10-15 years old. A truly incredible look into life almost 100 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I was also in Colorado recently. Did an overnight to Conundrum Creek Hot Springs, the highest in the US.

I didn’t lug the big camera up there so these are all cell phone shots. Didn’t see any moose or bears, unfortunately.

7ea6c189c4a08e122c1fffdbf3a6cb01.jpg

f3afb5f9fc10b638c005692ee94c2836.jpg

63c605d9d9b62f91569566f0a681e6c8.jpg

f1b62ec5e565dcbb53aa503666d7dc40.jpg

056c1eb7145c45f74fdae5ba893a158a.jpg

618ee5e9f565386537a9a36de9eb823e.jpg

c224cd8b8b313c0975ea7e280fbd1662.jpg

And of the Maroon Bells. I took some of the Bells on the nice camera but they don’t look much different.

fd8f05f004d5dfd0589d95270a2d6431.jpg

• Like 6

Digging your shots and subjects Jack.  If you ever want some locations, send me a DM and I might be able to help.  Been doing the abandoned thing for a decade now.  Here is just the Texas part of my location map;

spacer.png

Been kind of busy lately, but got out last week for a few shots, including some drone photos.  Hoping to make a pretty far flung day trip next week to check out some abandoned places.

48729878373_f870ba9e99_b.jpg

48730389647_b67d3c4c6a_b.jpg

48730389922_dcec6c7b21_b.jpg

This church I have had my eye on for awhile.  Now it is being renovated, so unfortunately I couldn't get some "clean" shots of it.  Those massive stained glass windows are Tiffany.  Worth more than the property.

48729881733_081a4068ba_b.jpg

48729881288_534480dfe9_b.jpg

48730390717_f7e82cf718_b.jpg

48730211206_c868069057_b.jpg

48729884393_7e4057b7fa_b.jpg

• Like 4

Wow! Some amazing pics this go round. Love the Colorado scenes. @Anton Chigurh, your photo with the little log building was gorgeous.

The abandoned places photos are haunting. Sometimes when people have public Instagram accounts I will stumble across them and while away a good many minutes scrolling through them. Fascinating and curious. When we lived north of the Red River, I used to pass by quite a few places that would probably be neat to investigate.

Wow! Some amazing pics this go round. Love the Colorado scenes. [mention=25]Anton Chigurh[/mention], your photo with the little log building was gorgeous. The abandoned places photos are haunting. Sometimes when people have public Instagram accounts I will stumble across them and while away a good many minutes scrolling through them. Fascinating and curious. When we lived north of the Red River, I used to pass by quite a few places that would probably be neat to investigate.      

Never tried grabbing the url using my phone, but if this works, this is my Flickr album dedicated to abandoned places:   

Heavily cropped photo from a distance, but look at the size of this friggin' bass the osprey has up a tree! He apparently didn't like me watching and flew it off to another location to eat in private. The weight didn't seem to slow him down any.

ospreybass

Then there was a nice sunset a short while later and I was enjoying the vibe of the lake with hardly anyone else in sight. Only had the  huge lens, so I shot this with my phone.

overlook

• Like 3

@DougO the HOT Fair & Rodeo starts on Oct. 3rd and runs thru the 15th or so. I'm trying to get someone there to call me back about what sort of lenses can be brought in. Also after that ends there's a WPRA (Women's Pro Rodeo) event starting on Oct. 23rd. That could be something you might like. Women+Cows+Free=#Winning . 

Looks like I'm going to pass on the PRCA rodeo that'll be going for the next 2 weeks. Tickets are $30 for seating that would afford a decent vantage point and they're sold out. Must be a lot of rodeo lovers in these parts. Oh well, there's going to be a women's pro rodeo event in 3 weeks that will be free to attend. Won't have the more exciting events like bull riding but some team roping, breakaway roping and other things that ought to provide some good photo ops. One big downside is that it will be held in the building with the shitty lighting. Again.

Great photos; really enjoy the different shots. I have been spending more time with the politics reading, but am slowly working my way through your link, Patricio Swayze. You have some amazing photos! Just when I think I've found a favorite, I see another one.

I have a family member I visit in Tulsa from time to time. The downtown there has a lot of Art Deco buildings and some are pretty neat and in reasonable condition. I have never tried to take pictures, but when I was younger and we would visit, my favorite was the Atlas Life building because it had a little (what do you call them?) 'statue' of Atlas holding up the world on the building sign. That sparked an interest in Greek mythology which continued for a lifetime. I haven't been back in quite awhile so I don't know if it is still there. I may have to go Google it and see!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baboso said:

Where's DougO and his awesome pics of birds?

Thanks, I'll post some up soon, probably later today.  I just went out to the lake this morning. I've just been busy with some fairly trivial but annoying stuff that has taken my attention away from doing much photo editing and sorting to post.

Great stuff Doug! I guess that you'll be seeing more migratory action soon if you aren't already.

Culturat Arts Fest is in downtown Waco today at Indian Springs Park so I may go see what's up with that. Planning to ride the bus if I do go so no telling what I might run across. Can't decide if I want to take just the 85mm lens or carry another one along. I've really started gravitating towards the 85 as my go-to but might take the 70-300 just for the people peeping potential. Plus I never get to use it since I've been shooting so much indoors stuff in shitty lighting. Supposed to be bright sunlight again today. Guess the last time I took it out was to the boat races in August. 

Edited by El Diablo