The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

5 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Full sun and heavy shade = clusterfuck lighting for me. Anyway, here's a snapshot of some dude playing the stick guitar. It's like an air guitar but you use a stick as a prop.

DSC_4288_00001.jpg

Lefty stick, too. Must be playing Purple Haze.

I think that if I buy another lens it's going to be the Nikon 80-200 f2.8D ED. Old technology but they still make them brand new and they're about a third of the cost of their 70-200 VR lenses. I don't know that I'll ever need VR. Used they can be had for $500 or so. The new camera body that I bought a couple months back has a focusing motor so it opens up these older lenses to me. I kinda like that because I like money.

Looking ahead for events to shoot it looks like the WPRA (Women's Pro Rodeo) is going to be held, in part, in the actual coliseum and not just in the shitty lighting of the show pavilion. Looking forward to this. I think the last thing I shot in there was maybe in June? Hopefully since then I've learned a bit and also have some faster lenses to shoot with so should get results that are better. Schedule shows though that the better lit arena is going to be used for barrel racing and the team roping in the shitty lighting. Wish it was the other way around, barrels just don't make for as good a photo op.

Since you said more, what are the ones you have seen so I can watch them?

This isn’t a definitive list of what I have seen. There are moments where I consume a lot of documentaries and can’t recall all the titles. But here are most of them:

Finding Vivian Maier
Garry Winogrand: All Things are Photographable (UT professor for a few years)
The Salt of the Earth
Everybody Street
Magnum Photos - The Changing of a Myth
Get the Picture
The War Reporter
Traveler
The Many Lives of William Klein
Eugene Richards (lecture from 2010 on YouTube) I really like his work.

I tend to enjoy documentaries about street photography and war photography (and photojournalism in general).

I don’t think I have seen “The Rich Have Their Own Photographers” yet, so I will watch that.
  • Like 1

I can't think of many photo docs I have seen, other than the one about the four guys who had photographed every Superbowl since the beginning, which was several years ago.

I know I have seen a few, but not recently or any that pop into mind. The Mapplethorpe doc that was on HBO a few years ago was somewhat interesting, especially if you like pictures of dicks.

I can't think of many photo docs I have seen, other than the one about the four guys who had photographed every Superbowl since the beginning, which was several years ago.
I know I have seen a few, but not recently or any that pop into mind. The Mapplethorpe doc that was on HBO a few years ago was somewhat interesting, especially if you like pictures of dicks.

Hahahaha. I like how you qualified that.

By the way, I watched “The Rich Have Their Own Photographers” and very much enjoyed it. Some moving and powerful images as well as an interesting story of how Milton Rogovin became a photographer. I always enjoy hearing about the path acclaimed photographers take to get to where they ended up. One of the best was Tim Page’s story (I don’t think there is a documentary, but his book is a good read).

Well, I went ahead and watched The Mapplethorpe documentary. And it was as advertised by Doug haha. But it was pretty interesting, even for me as someone or really into studio photography. I wonder how many photographers, alive or dead, have had a single photo sell for more than $100k. I’m almost there, I have sold one for $150 hahaha.

• Like 1

Would watch the playlist on The Art of Photography's youtube channel. Gives good synopsis/breakdowns into various photographers.

I love the little short youtube video on Don Mccullin. Love that he is still rocking a Mamiya RZ 67 at 80+ years.

• Like 1

Would watch the playlist on The Art of Photography's youtube channel. Gives good synopsis/breakdowns into various photographers.
I love the little short youtube video on Don Mccullin. Love that he is still rocking a Mamiya RZ 67 at 80+ years.

Just finished this one. I thought it was fantastic. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, that is a band on the falcon's leg. Looks like it shows A8 on the visible side. From what I could find that is consistent with bandings of wild peregrines captured by biologists and released. It would be cool to know what the rest of it says so we could find out where it has been and how old it is and stuff.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

Thank you all for all the great posts in this thread.  Sometimes I sit down to Surly with a specific agenda of things to read and threads to catch up on.  After that if I'm not quite ready to get up and be productive yet, this is the thread I come too.  Great stuff you guys.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Thanks! I was in Terlingua Ranch. The whole Big Bend area is a Bortle 1 zone, so the darkest the skies can get to our eye. Best stargazing you will ever see.

I was going to say that the moonless nights I saw at sea probably matched but then again there's reflection off of the water, even of just starlight. I had 20/10 vision at the time and could pick out Andromeda with my naked eye sometimes. Awe inspiring, regardless. 

On 11/4/2019 at 7:46 PM, El Diablo said:

I was going to say that the moonless nights I saw at sea probably matched but then again there's reflection off of the water, even of just starlight. I had 20/10 vision at the time and could pick out Andromeda with my naked eye sometimes. Awe inspiring, regardless. 

Sailing back & forth across the Pacific in the late 1950s brought some spectacular stargazing from the fantail of a military transport ship. The evenings on the return trip were very pleasantly spent cuddled with a cute blonde - we were both 14.
No pics, but nice memories.

• Like 3

A few film shots as well. These are on a Canon AE-1 P, 50mm 1.8, Velvia 100, and Tri-X 400. Velvia 100 is a bit hard to use in scenes with even a little bit of contrast, and a little too specialized for 135 format, IMO, and unfortunately is not nearly as good as 50 is. Would like to try Ektar 100 or maybe Provia or the new E100 stuff next time.

49040472222_591f7d1874_6k.jpg

49039756963_ecf4243c3c_o.jpg

49039767813_56669ce937_o.jpg

49040282891_f4aaa63623_o.jpg

49039817818_9d507c8f1c_o.jpg

49040330606_547a93160a_o.jpg

49039826933_a5c8f9544a_o.jpg

49039829018_fee3909b6b_o.jpg

49039834133_c9c44b09ed_o.jpg

49040557807_1f0196bf16_o.jpg

• Like 3

I was messing around with the D7500 a few weeks back and set the ISO to 50K just to see what it would do. I think I had a hall light on adjacent to the room I was in and that was pretty much it for lighting. It was a bit like Blair Witch Project meets game cam. I was surprised at the level of light it could take a fairly decent photo in. Not sure how I'd ever use it but it was fun.

24 minutes ago, DougO said:

I don't know if Canon has the same thing in its custom picture settings, but what the feck is "clarity" supposed to do, if anything?

Yeah, maybe I need to make my pics  look foggier.

Has to do with "micro" contrast. I think it could come in handy maybe when trying to clear up blotchy skin or similar? That's all I know.

Has to do with "micro" contrast. I think it could come in handy maybe when trying to clear up blotchy skin or similar? That's all I know.

It is, but using the texture slider in the negative direction is what was created for skin smoothing. It is also to enhance stuff going the other way. Texture is a more subtle version of clarity that mostly adjusts mid tone contrast and sharpness. Clarity increases global contrast and makes images very punchy.

These tools are in Lightroom and ACR, but I haven’t seen them on built in camera settings (I shoot Canon).

3 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It is, but using the texture slider in the negative direction is what was created for skin smoothing. It is also to enhance stuff going the other way. Texture is a more subtle version of clarity that mostly adjusts mid tone contrast and sharpness. Clarity increases global contrast and makes images very punchy.

From what I've seen in just messing with the controls, using clarity+ AND sharpness+ is no bueno. It's like they're fighting over pixels.