The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

Shit, something I had not figured on was the amount of power that the flash trigger I have mounted on the camera would be using. I've taken hundreds of shots without needing to recharge before I started messing with the off camera flash. I do  remember now talking to the gal who shoots the horse shows a while back and she was bitching then about the drain it put on her batteries but I had not experienced that myself until now. Yeah, it eats 'em up. I had not bought an extra just because in a normal day I couldn't imagine needing a fresh battery. With the D3500 yeah, the batteries were much smaller and wouldn't last all that long so I have a spare for that. I may have to reconsider getting one for the D7500 too. Looks like another $60 is going to be leaving my wallet soon. Oof.

Kinda like a clam shell but not exactly. A bit uneven but I'm pretty sure I know how to fix that. I started off using the shoot through umbrella and the last couple of days have been messing with the reflector umbrella. I think I like it better, definitely for the directional aspect.

DSC_4153_00001.jpg

anyone else here use Capture One for post-processing?

Yeah, I use capture one exclusively. It’s pretty much industry standard at this point, especially if you’re tethering. I love they way it handles raw images and I do all my color and adjustments there. Then onto photoshop for heavy lifting if need be.

On 1/27/2020 at 6:15 AM, nycHorn said:

Yeah, I use capture one exclusively. It’s pretty much industry standard at this point, especially if you’re tethering. I love they way it handles raw images and I do all my color and adjustments there. Then onto photoshop for heavy lifting if need be.

it's some work getting used to it.

making selections not as easy as in Photoshop. I can some of the advantage over Lightroom but tougher call when you combine Lightroom + Photoshop

Drove from Houston to Amarillo today and from about Vernon to Clarendon there are a shit ton of abandoned homes, barns and out buildings ripe for photos.  I had a car full of people and was trying to get into town in time to watch the Super Bowl but the next time I'm up here for work, I am most definitely bring my camera.

15 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Drove from Houston to Amarillo today and from about Vernon to Clarendon there are a shit ton of abandoned homes, barns and out buildings ripe for photos.  I had a car full of people and was trying to get into town in time to watch the Super Bowl but the next time I'm up here for work, I am most definitely bring my camera.

Post them here, love looking at those.

@DougO great bird photos, especially the bluebird. I've only ever seen one once in person and it was magical.

The pic above ^^^ with the boy and his dog^^^great shot!!

• Like 3

I'm looking to buy a zoom lens soon and would like to hear some input from anyone familiar with both the newer and older model Nikon lenses. They still make a 80-200 f2.8 that utilizes the older camera motor for focusing. Their newest stuff all has focus motors built into the lens itself. The price difference is substantial. I like saving money. The last iteration (since discontinued) of the 80-200 that they made had the focus motors in the lens (it was the predecessor to the 70-200). So I can get the old 80-200 that uses the camera motor (Nikon is still making this), the 80-200 with the motors in the lens (discontinued and therefor used) or the 70-200 with the motors in the lens (used or new). Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by El Diablo

I haven't really given the 3rd party lenses much consideration. Not because of any brand loyalty, more because of initial build quality. Just out of financial considerations I'm mostly leaning towards used lenses. Do the Tamron lenses have the reputation for lasting that the mother ship lenses do?  

I've been using Dougs old "D" lens (uses the camera's motor) for a few months as a loaner and it does great in good lighting but seems to struggle in low light. I don't really know if that's due to the technology or the camera body since both play a role in the final outcome. Side note, I was at a horse show recently and the pro photographer there had a Nikon D5 and a new 70-200 and was getting incredibly sharp results shot after shot. It was impressive.

I'll look at the Tamron before I make a final decision. Thanks, Anton!

I've seen some really good prices on used lenses at this site recently:

https://usedphotopro.com/products/usedlenses/used-slr-lenses/used-autofocus-lenses?manufacturer=6350

It is a spinoff from Roberts photo, which is a reputable company I have bought from in the past, but they aren't nearly as big as Adorama, B&H, Samy's etc. I haven't bought anything from their used department since they spun it off from the regular site, but I have been tempted on a few 70-200isk deals there.

Tokina's line of short zooms are really good. I have the early version of their 11-16mm DX. For longer zooms look at Sigma and Tamron. But I'm not really keen on buying third party lenses on the used market.

Thanks for the input, guys. @DougO I've been checking out that site, first heard about it just a month or so ago and they do have some good deals there. I know some of the online shops have a 30 day no questions asked return policy so I might just give something a shot and if I don't like it then just return it pronto. 

Well, I ordered an older tech Nikon 80-200 (with the built in focus motor) from B&H. I figure I'll have a couple of opportunities over the next 2 weeks to give it a good shakedown and if I don't like it I'll just return it. I also found some of the newer-ish 70-200 VR lenses, refurbished by Nikon, that were a good bit pricier but could be in play if I don't like what I've ordered. We shall see!

Where’s the Yashica?!?!

I finally ran some Ektar through the RB to test it. I hope to have those scans tomorrow. I only double exposed one time on my first roll!

Man...it has been stuck in the USPS ISC facility in Los Angeles for 3 weeks. USPS systems are all automated so you can’t actually talk to a real person. I am pretty annoyed.

Head down to the Englewood train yard today.  I am usually down there 2-3 times a week.  There has been a lot of media attention to cancer clusters around the yard (mostly 5th Ward).  The blame is old creosote factory that was owned by Union Pacific.  It got into the water and since some folks around there use well water still, they are saying this is the cause of the cancer.  So today, there was a small protest at the yard that I didn't know was happening.  So I stopped to check it out.

49535524503_d5d85a2b8f_b.jpg

49535524323_0887cd8b5e_b.jpg

49536114508_73d7f38fb2_b.jpg

49536114673_309865d0ef_b.jpg

49536114123_2b0dbd9fb9_b.jpg

Got the drone up too...

49536249587_9f21c3780c_b.jpg

• Like 1

What would the Surly recommendation be for post processing?  I bought a new camera and have an Apple MacBook Pro, not sure on which photo editing software to buy.  I read that you can now buy a monthly subscription to one of em and get free upgrades. I’m not sure if this is the best route being somewhat new to all of this.  I’m not new to photography but not real comfortable with all the digital technology that is now in place.  Thanks for any recs!

On 2/15/2020 at 1:32 PM, RMac5 said:

What would the Surly recommendation be for post processing?  I bought a new camera and have an Apple MacBook Pro, not sure on which photo editing software to buy.  I read that you can now buy a monthly subscription to one of em and get free upgrades. I’m not sure if this is the best route being somewhat new to all of this.  I’m not new to photography but not real comfortable with all the digital technology that is now in place.  Thanks for any recs!

understand that whichever one you buy, it takes time to become decent with it.

Lightroom is the easiest to get hang of.

If you bought a Fuji camera though, it is not the best for that particular brand

I set the head up and gave it a test drive. It's a shit ton better than trying to do this without someone or something to work with. Once I slap some hair on her head, and yes I will have hair for her head soon, I can get busy. I bought a book by a guy named John Cornicello that I plan to read next week. I'll be off work the whole week and away from the camera and lights so hopefully I'll be able to digest some of it and come back with some inspiration. I've read some of the guys blog posts and he's a bit nutty about lighting but in a good way I think and hopefully I can learn something.

DSC_5072_00001.jpg

Forgot about this drone shot in the 5th Ward.  A couple of years ago the owner of this gas station was murdered in the parking lot after closing up.  It stayed closed for months.  Not sure what this recent thing is about.  I looked on the news sites, but didn't see anything.  Definitely drew some crowds.

49567981436_1446447bda_b.jpg

• Like 1

Slapped a cheap wig on the old gals noggin. Kinda has a Tina Louise vibe going. Dark hair really absorbs a lot of light and my skillz with the post processing aren't such that I know how to recover the detail there. Anywho, say hello to "Ginger". 

DSC_5097_00001.thumb.jpg.ef8e45e97006908ea374ecb434fca9f9.jpg

Jump in there to make it a double.
ab88538b7c8ebce31b7f8b20dc141dee.jpg
  • Haha 1