The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

7 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Maybe eventually but I don't feel like we know each other that well just yet. And you know how women are, she's likely to think it means we're a couple even though we just met.

DSC_5168_00001.jpg

Doug nailed it with the Jaime Lee Curtis thing.  

You're using a umbrella that you're still into and reflect back (not shoot thru)?  And you have a 2nd light that is lower and more frontal?  How many light heads do you have?

I would get some sort of white bounce on the camera left - fill in shadows.  This can be anything white...a white tshirt, a poster board, etc...or just move your set closer to a wall and that'll reflect light back into the shadows.

You could also try a hair light from up high and behind her - ideally with a grid so the light doesn't spill out all over the place and turned down low.  A subtle hairlight is plenty, just to separate from the background.  Or throw some light on the background. 

Finally, using the shaft of the umbrella as a guide,  "aim" the umbrella so the shaft if pointing just in front of her - like a shot across the bow, if you will.  It'll allow the light to wrap around her face and also keep the hottest portion of the light off her for an even light.  That'll also throw light off set that you can easily bounce back into the shadows.  

What kind of strobes are you using?  But it's looking good.  Just keep shooting and trying different things.  And when you're ready, get a human in there.  Getting comfortable directing your subject is important to getting what you want from the shoot. 

I have a good amount of experience with this so don't hesitate with questions man.

1 hour ago, nycHorn said:

Doug nailed it with the Jaime Lee Curtis thing.  

You're using a umbrella that you're still into and reflect back (not shoot thru)?  And you have a 2nd light that is lower and more frontal?  How many light heads do you have?

I would get some sort of white bounce on the camera left - fill in shadows.  This can be anything white...a white tshirt, a poster board, etc...or just move your set closer to a wall and that'll reflect light back into the shadows.

You could also try a hair light from up high and behind her - ideally with a grid so the light doesn't spill out all over the place and turned down low.  A subtle hairlight is plenty, just to separate from the background.  Or throw some light on the background. 

Finally, using the shaft of the umbrella as a guide,  "aim" the umbrella so the shaft if pointing just in front of her - like a shot across the bow, if you will.  It'll allow the light to wrap around her face and also keep the hottest portion of the light off her for an even light.  That'll also throw light off set that you can easily bounce back into the shadows.  

What kind of strobes are you using?  But it's looking good.  Just keep shooting and trying different things.  And when you're ready, get a human in there.  Getting comfortable directing your subject is important to getting what you want from the shoot. 

I have a good amount of experience with this so don't hesitate with questions man.

I bought a used 32" Westcott soft box a couple of weeks ago and both of these shots were taken with just that lighting the face. The first head shot I did have a 2nd light back left as a sort of edge light and it was also hitting her cheek bone a good bit. I haven't got that figured out at all yet so turned it off. On the second shot,the one above, I did use a reflector just out of frame on the left and moved the light a bit more in line with the head (more camera right) and used more of the back edge of the light across her but just the one light. That was partly because the first shot gave a weird shadow on her right nostril and also to keep the background evenly dark but I'm not sure I accomplished the 2nd part. My studio, such as it is, is maybe 8'x12'. 

I have 3 strobes, 2 Lumo Pro 180's and a Godox TT600. I pretty much followed DougO's advice and visited TheStrobist and bought the gear (used of course) that they suggested. I've been using the same trigger they suggest, a Phottix Ares and one receiver. I can setup with one flash as a slave but think I'll probably buy another receiver at some point just because. 

Like most beginners I've been using the shotgun approach - played with the gels, lighting the background vs not lighting it, crazy dramatic angles etc... My confidence is growing slowly and I have a redneck family that will sit for me when I get ready to have some live bodies in front of the lens.

I appreciate the feedback, I kinda figured you had some experience with this stuff when you mentioned being tethered to Capture One.

Edited by El Diablo
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I bought a used 32" Westcott soft box a couple of weeks ago and both of these shots were taken with just that lighting the face. The first head shot I did have a 2nd light back left as a sort of edge light and it was also hitting her cheek bone a good bit. I haven't got that figured out at all yet so turned it off. On the second shot,the one above, I did use a reflector just out of frame on the left and moved the light a bit more in line with the head (more camera right) and used more of the back edge of the light across her but just the one light. That was partly because the first shot gave a weird shadow on her right nostril and also to keep the background evenly dark but I'm not sure I accomplished the 2nd part. My studio, such as it is, is maybe 8'x12'. 

I have 3 strobes, 2 Lumo Pro 180's and a Godox TT600. I pretty much followed DougO's advice and visited TheStrobist and bought the gear (used of course) that they suggested. I've been using the same trigger they suggest, a Phottix Ares and one receiver. I can setup with one flash as a slave but think I'll probably buy another receiver at some point just because. 

Like most beginners I've been using the shotgun approach - played with the gels, lighting the background vs not lighting it, crazy dramatic angles etc... My confidence is growing slowly and I have a redneck family that will sit for me when I get ready to have some live bodies in front of the lens.

I appreciate the feedback, I kinda figured you had some experience with this stuff when you mentioned being tethered to Capture One.

Nice man, yeah Strobist is a great resource.  And I'm always watching Craigslist to see what kind of stuff people are selling - seamless paper, rolls of gels or diffusion, modifiers.  

The redneck family sounds like an awesome photo opportunity.  Depending on what your end goal is with photography - corporate headshots, beauty, portraits, etc... start identifying peoples work that you like or find interesting and start reverse engineering how they did it.  You can tell a lot from catch-lights in the eyes, quality of light (hard/soft), direction of shadows, etc.. and start to emulate and adapt your own work.  

Looks nice, keep firing away...

20 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

Nice man, yeah Strobist is a great resource.  And I'm always watching Craigslist to see what kind of stuff people are selling - seamless paper, rolls of gels or diffusion, modifiers.  

The redneck family sounds like an awesome photo opportunity.  Depending on what your end goal is with photography - corporate headshots, beauty, portraits, etc... start identifying peoples work that you like or find interesting and start reverse engineering how they did it.  You can tell a lot from catch-lights in the eyes, quality of light (hard/soft), direction of shadows, etc.. and start to emulate and adapt your own work.  

Looks nice, keep firing away...

I mentioned it upthread, I bought a book for my Kindle by a guy named John Cornicello that I plan to read this week. I'll be away from the gear all week so hopefully I'll come back next weekend fired up.

Any people you could suggest to a newbie to find some inspiration from? I know I do need to study different work but have no background in art or photography and the world is flooded with information now. 

For sure...there are so many depending on what you're after...

Dan Winters (lives in Austin) - beautiful light, definitely moody

Martin Schoeller - you've seen his work on Time.  Has shot everyone with his characteristic look - short lens, shallow depth of field, right up in there, matching stripbanks - unflattering, but interesting.

Platon - famous portraits

Then classics like Sally Mann, Albert Watson, Avedon...

street photographers like Garry Winogrand.  

I work in fashion and have soft spots for people like Paolo Roversi & Philip Lorca DiCorcia...

I've decided to modify my head a bit. As it is I've had her setting on top of a stack of boxes that were on top of a stool. After looking her over and thinking about it the plan is to drill and tap a 1/4-20 hole in her neck peg. Then I can just screw her onto a light stand. Will give me a lot more flexibility and portability. I'd even be able to take her out to the park and set up to practice with the flash in daylight/ambient light. My neighbor has a drill press so hopefully I can get this done in the next week or so.

20200301_072426.jpg

20200301_072457.jpg

20200301_072513.jpg

Getting better with the equipment, don't know if the photography is improving lol. Come home from work, set the stuff up differently than I did the last time and see what I get. Today's lesson? Gels!!! Rectangular flash head makes for a shitty, uneven look. 

DSC_5408_00001.jpg

• Like 1

There is a great horned owl nest out in the pature in a big live oak tree, well chosen location, difficult to see in heavy cover. There are a couple of little holes you can peek through with a long lens. One of the owls, I'm guessing the male, always flies away before I can even get a look at it, just a flying blur. I can never tell where exactly it flew off from. The other, probably the female, stays put on the nest and stealthily watches me with the stink eye. I don't stick around long so I don't bother them much, but I've been going by for about a month. This is the most the nesting owl has shown me so far. In the past it peers through sticks below the edge of the nest with just the horns sticking up over the top. There's gotta be something in there, but I have seen no evidence of owl babies so far.

owlnest3?fbclid=IwAR23EPHeDdbKAlb0UQmRk7

Edited by DougO
  • Like 6

I got to tinkering around here a bit ago and made myself an adapter for my wig head. It will give me a way to attach the head to a standard 1/4-20 bolt so I can mount it on a light stand or a magic arm/super clamp combo. Translation: I can take the head just about anywhere now and set it up to play with different lighting setups. I can't wait to go to the city park with my duffel bag and pull out my head, light stands and gear and start snapping pictures, lol. Hey, you do what you gotta do, right?

Still messing with the flash here and the more I play with it the more mind blowing it all is. The amount of control over the mood is just insane and the more I ponder it the more it makes my head hurt. For example this wig head - it never changes expression but just moving the light up or down or turning the face slightly one way or the other or tilting it up or down or even just raising the level of the camera a few inches etc... each and all make changes that completely alter the feel of the image. Anyway, that's what I did this evening. 

I call today's efforts "The Many Moods of Monica"

Oh, and a dove pic.

DSC_5581_00001.jpg

DSC_5600_00001.jpg

DSC_5648_00001.jpg

DSC_5657_00001.jpg

DSC_5664_00001.jpg

I threw together some parts to make a boom arm for myself. I wanted some way to put a light directly on axis, so a super clamp and a magic arm later and voila! It doesn't hold much weight but will support an umbrella and a speedlight. I gave it a test drive and the results are fine but the shots made me realize that this head has the light sucking, black hole, eye sockets of a succubus. 

DSC_5747_00001.jpg

• Like 1

neighbor and I were on a walk and saw an eagle over his shoulder.  He does photography as a hobby and snapped these two from our walk and a third from a fight he saw earlier in the day when an osprey attacked an eagle for a fish.  Thought this was peculiar.  He's pretty damn good and trying to get a site together.  I'll post it when he gets it going.  

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATE0YT

Edited by Mdhorn

3 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Messing around with ETTR. Just used the shadow slider to pull the detail out. Need to figure out how to use filters to get the clouds back to what they were in the first image, or more likely not ever affect them at all.

DSC_5818_00001.jpg

DSC_5818_00001_01.jpg

My two-minute edit using curves, a little dodging, and some cloning of the grass between the sidewalk and the bush.

i-SM6QW42.jpg

• Like 2

My second attempt. I used Camera Raw and brought the exposure way the hell up and then opened it in Elements. Then I added a brightness/contrast layer with clipping(?) and brought the brightness back down and "painted" over the foreground. Not sure if that makes sense. Anyway, second effort.

DSC_581811111.jpg

Spent a week with the Fuji XT3. It was both really fun and a bit frustrating. Mainly because it's been such a long time since I shot with a "normal" camera. I kinda forgotten what working with a lot of the manual controls were like... and just so many options. 

Waterfall in Shenandoah National Park - unedited, no tripod — propped onto of a rock

49699455796_4f941eb8ab_b.jpg

Edited in VSCO app

49699767772_25ac264316_b.jpg

49699768262_ce8472938c_b.jpg

Cool gnarly looking log

49699768072_eef4dd9e6d_b.jpg

• Like 5