The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

Upgraded my toy drone(Mavic Mini) I got for Christmas for a more prosumer model (Mavic Air 2). Got some good shots after the storms tonight. Still need to figure out the Hyperlapse feature, as mine were way too busy. Love this thing, am really hopeful for some cool cinematic shots on the river with the Active Track features.

1012DJI_0019DJI_0033DJI_0039Pano2

• Like 6

On 5/2/2020 at 1:58 PM, Player said:

Swayze (or any other Houston area shutterbugs) - you may be interested in this flyover coming up on 5/8.

e047a8cebb0a1898cf61a6de74223a47.jpg

P-51, B-25, and several more vintage aircraft.

When the hell is the Belton flyover?

Like the thistle pics @DougO . I was on my way to visit a friend at her parents house southeast of San Marcos years ago and on some back country road there was an old dilapidated farm house near the road with a fenced yard absolutely full of those. Was a neat sight.

So it's supposed to rain most of tomorrow and I'm thinking about setting up to maybe take some rain pictures. Lemons/lemonade type of deal. I'm thinking of using a speedlight in this somehow. Maybe stop the camera down a bit, put the flash inside a car with my mannequin head behind the wheel? I don't know, never tried anything like that. Thoughts on using a flash to capture rain?

I'm having trouble w focusing on my Canon Rebel SL1 or maybe it's just that I can't figure it out.  It always seems like it focuses on the opposite of what I want it to ( foliage when I'm taking pictures of people or some random object when I'm taking a landscape picture).  Any tips?

2 hours ago, Spur08 said:

I'm having trouble w focusing on my Canon Rebel SL1 or maybe it's just that I can't figure it out.  It always seems like it focuses on the opposite of what I want it to ( foliage when I'm taking pictures of people or some random object when I'm taking a landscape picture).  Any tips?

DSLRs and their lenses sometimes require focus adjustments. Could be that you are having back or front focusing issues. Is it just one lens, multiple lenses, any lens?

DSLRs and their lenses sometimes require focus adjustments. Could be that you are having back or front focusing issues. Is it just one lens, multiple lenses, any lens?
Any lens. I'm chalking it up to user error but I'm not sure how to correct.

Pick single point autofocus, put the focus point where you want it on a stationary object, take a picture and see if that is in focus. basically start with a process of elimination. work from what should be the most accurate focusing method (other than manual focus) and work through the focus modes. if you are using a group or wide focus mode, you should be aware that no matter how smart those modes are supposed to be, things in the foreground will often take priority, even if it is not the subject in your mind

Pick single point autofocus, put the focus point where you want it on a stationary object, take a picture and see if that is in focus. basically start with a process of elimination. work from what should be the most accurate focusing method (other than manual focus) and work through the focus modes. if you are using a group or wide focus mode, you should be aware that no matter how smart those modes are supposed to be, things in the foreground will often take priority, even if it is not the subject in your mind
Is that the same as metering?

46 minutes ago, Spur08 said:
5 hours ago, naija said:

Is that the same as metering?

Metering and focusing are different things. Both can be manual or automatic independent of the other.  This is a screenshot from the manual of your camera

p3897275700-4.jpg

follow the instructions to get to ONE SHOT for AF Operation and SINGLE POINT for AF Point (center AF point probably easiest).

This should set up your camera to focus on only one thing at a time with each use of the shutter button

37 minutes ago, Spur08 said:

I'm getting my terminology mixed up. Would the best approach be to select the single point focus and then manually select the focus point every time?

Sure, but you wanted to find out if something is wrong with your camera. Best to put it through its paces. And there will be times when single point autofocus will not be the best option

@DougO I was snapping pics of my bird feeder and got one I'd never seen before. Picture sucked but it was a red male house finch. I thought at first it was some weird cardinal or maybe a sparrow that had been on a murderous rampage, red on the top of his head and splattered red on his chest. Cool looking bird, hope to see more. Starting to pay more attention to the little sparrows, there's more variety than I ever knew. 

You mentioned previously about different languages and I'm tuning in on that too. I know most of the ones I grew up with but now I'm listening more closely when I'm outside and hearing birds that I know I don't know. Pretty trippy. I got out of the house today and strolled around the campus for a few hours. I heard quite a few birds but didn't really see many. I know I'm blind as a bat but the ones I was hearing were buried in trees. Did have a couple that showed themselves and by the time I got the camera on 'em they'd booked. I did get this mockingbird right before I left for the day. I'd been frustrated so many times already that I got in a hurry and it's a shitty shot but I thought the sign added something.

DSC_2999_00001.thumb.jpg.f7e54ea6be1e06c88569576bd34859a3.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Thanks.

That is port Arthur from the balcony of the abandoned World Trade Building.

I would not have guessed the location in a million years. The railing and the arch give a European or Latin American feel. Maybe with some zooming and close inspection I could have gotten US, maybe.

Just got two rolls developed.  One of them was some grocery store Fuji Superia x-tra 400 that I had loaded into my AE-1 but when my Yashica came in, I rewound it and loaded it to test it out.  So I got some double and triple exposures.  I loaded some HP5 into the Canon afterwards.  Here are some of my favorites.

49925766633_984156d413_b.jpg

49926581372_9cdb49d61d_b.jpg

49926287351_5413310db3_b.jpg

49925765723_c1b69e110e_b.jpg

49925793208_9294491b34_b.jpg

49926311871_3028521644_b.jpg

49926310846_5858551faa_b.jpg

49925791398_ed9b6b8d46_b.jpg

49926310161_869a78fc71_b.jpg

49925790248_e3a2ce11a8_b.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I think "shit on the sidewalk" is short order cook slang for avocado toast, so quite the coincidence there! 

I thought it just meant the public restrooms in San Francisco...and maroon-wearing pedestrians at Kyle Field.

• Like 1

I went down to the 5th Ward today and was hanging out by the train tracks when I see this hawk fly down to the road where some of the tracks crossed.  I didn't have my 400mm lens mounted.  The bird grabbed a snake from the crevice where the tracks run over the asphalt and flies off to eat his catch.  I got my gear together and went over, and again missed him flying off with the snake.  He went through some trees by some houses (barely can call them that, this is the 5th Ward) and I drove around to see if by chance he landed again, which he did.  I got these shots that I am pretty happy with but pissed that I missed two that I wanted, one with the hawk flying with snake in his talons and one where he was eating the snake like spaghetti (I got the shot but it is blurry).  The Snake is a Yellow-Bellied Racer.

49950003031_37ff5022af_o.jpg

49949479598_36b720ac15_o.jpg

49949978731_fa4309e816_o.jpg

49950272712_37808a9615_o.jpg

And a portrait I took today...

49949978981_1b077a82aa_o.jpg

• Like 6

I feel like I am flooding this thread lately, but I am currently unemployed so have a lot more free time.  Here are some shots I took of the George Floyd protests in Houston.

As I walked towards the protest...

49954274916_a7b1fe20a4_o.jpg

And my only really decent shots from the protests (cross post from the thread in DT)...

49953782253_a67a759945_o.jpg

49953773253_a69251ce13_o.jpg

49954275306_08680837db_o.jpg

49953774088_b9bd4e17b4_o.jpg

49953774258_c29696801b_o.jpg

49954276071_0b9c79a305_o.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I feel like I am flooding this thread lately, but I am currently unemployed so have a lot more free time.

Great stuff!

I don't think you're flooding the thread as much as some of us have sort of dried up. I have taken a shit ton of photos in May during migration season, but not much that was any good, just dirty, messy identification photos.

• Like 1