The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

I'm hoping that SOMEONE can make good use of this impending dust storm! 

Sad news for me, the equestrian place that I was planning on playing in this weekend has new more restrictive attendance policies going into effect. NO SPECTATORS. I'm still thinking that maybe I'll fill out one of their releases/indemnification forms and just show up and announce myself as the photographer and see if I can get in that way. Would be nice to have the place to myself. Sigh. Probably won't though. Furk. I had all my gear out last night and did all my pre-checks and packed my bags. Oh well, that cemetery photo has me thinking I could just head down to Fort Fisher or perhaps even Oakwood cemetery. There's a lot of pretty famous Texans buried there. Once upon a time I snapped a picture there of W.C. Brann's marker, the one with the bullet pock mark in it. Sadly the bust of Brann that sat on top of the grave has since been stolen, most likely by some Baylor frat fucks. Anyway, plans are a changing. 

On 6/24/2020 at 9:19 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I've about had it with these damn Mississippi Kites.  I just can't seem to get a shot of them that I like.  I was stoked about the Barred Owl. 

50041489138_491604a763_o.jpg

50042044151_1376470b82_o.jpg

50042317417_cf7107f0a3_o.jpg

50041470198_2f26a12c1b_o.jpg

I take a lot of pictures of birds and kites are among the hardest ones to catch in fight.  They're really fast and change directions erratically without warning.  It's much easier if you can find them perched like that.  Swallows are the same way but probably worse.

Nice barred owl.  I got this one alongside a CR on the way to my parents' place.

P4191313.JPG

• Like 8

Getting a bit bored so I decided to go back and play with the off camera flash again. I took "Monica" outside for the first time, in the shade on the patio with the pond and parking lot in full sun in the background. This is at ISO 200, f5 and 1/6400s. 2 speedlights, HSS. Not great but more a proof of concept and to get some idea of the limitations of my gear.

DSC_7100_00001.thumb.jpg.d61d101d3b51fa2e3a15c09619321637.jpg

This is with just the available light, same settings but shutter speed at 1/60s.

DSC_7047_00001.thumb.jpg.621ccc1f455fc59ee28f06f73e399899.jpg

All you need is to slow down the shutter speed to match the exposure of the ambient background, perhaps with sight underexposure, and/or a reflector or second light to give some edge light to the hair to separate it from the darker part of the background. The key light looks good.

23 hours ago, DougO said:

All you need is to slow down the shutter speed to match the exposure of the ambient background, perhaps with sight underexposure, and/or a reflector or second light to give some edge light to the hair to separate it from the darker part of the background. The key light looks good.

Yeah, I actually took the same picture several different ways and one of them was with the background more balanced, just slightly under as you say and it did give much better separation. 

Anyway, back to the caged animal well today. Fuck it was hot. These cats are frequently active unlike a lot of the critters but the enclosure has a huge plexiglas wall which I guess is better than chain link fence but it still fucks with the auto focus. You get kinda close to sharp but not really.

DSC_7116_00001.thumb.jpg.f8310076f474afbb9e60a7edd0bef567.jpg

23 hours ago, DougO said:

Sorry for the double quote, here's the shot that kinda is what you're describing. 

DSC_7053_00001_01.thumb.jpg.00d240ba4b7f9d1dc9b395d41834a2f3.jpg

I typically use FinerWorks. They’re a Texas company (San Antonio) and I have been happy with their quality. They don’t really advertise, but are the cheapest I have seen. They also have many fine art paper options to choose from. If you can wait for a sale it can be pretty cheap.

Their metal prints are good too, but I think I like metal prints from Pure Art Printer a little better.

• Like 2

I have used mpix for many years.  Been really happy with them and their customer service.  They drop ship white label prints for people who buy photos from me.  However, I love supporting Texas companies, so I need to check out FinerWorks.

Re-edit of an iphone shot from Zion 2 years ago...

41570962104_3353a93340_o.jpg

Abandoned churches in Houston...

50073662336_5bd714097f_o.jpg

50073095213_babbc2807e_o.jpg

50073661821_0f150b07ea_o.jpg

• Like 3

These are from a couple of weeks ago, driving to a birding spot with limited walking. My knees are a lot better now, but catching up on fence work and dealing with the heat and lack of bird action is still stomping a mudhole in my photo activity.

dragonfly

blackneckedstilt

paintedbuntingwitter

paintedbuntingwitter2

• Like 5

A few film notes.

I have since acquired another Canonet G-III and sent it to the same restoration guy and this one is in even better shape than the last one. Almost mint. It even has an original working Canolite flash.

a18606888f137b8339abc817aac783c6.jpg

I took a chance on a cheap Canon EF on eBay. The EF was a pro/prosumer camera slotted just under the (old) F1. It has a combination of electrically and mechanically controlled shutter, depending on the speed. It has several long exposure speeds (1s, 2s, 4s, 8s, 15s, and 30s).

I was able to get them all to function, but the electronically controlled long exposure ones don’t seem accurate all the time. The mechanical ones seem like they’re probably okay. The meter kind of moves but the shutter speed indicator gets stuck in the viewfinder and it seems tired to that and doesn’t really work. It is a notoriously hard camera to repair. I took a stab at repairing the shutter speed indicator, but they loose part is way further in there than I want to get to.

I may throw some light seals in it and try a roll using sunny 16 and the mech speeds only. It is a tank of a camera, though. I guess I’ll just have to get an F1.

2b556119d81344500ccac3ae5dddcba9.jpg

• Like 3

Ferrania 30 | Canon AE-1 Program | 50mm 1.4 S.S.C.

Ferrania is a ridiculously contrasty stock, and it has a really cool backstory that you can learn about here if you’d like:

The early batches apparently had some issues, but the new version seems a bit better, though the use case is still limited. It almost feels like I’ll have to treat it like shooting Velvia, except that it’s BW. Some of the scans were pretty extreme, but luckily the shadows were still very well preserved, and since the scans were tiffs, I was able to recover them.

73258659e545926397828c74e01dd710.jpg

2ffee1ebde9e8e7e6437422a09bf2322.jpg

452d8498f70d8120f166e1944a7bc01e.jpg

d5a1a84fe132df057cb57e4c2d1c01d4.jpg

f3f5dff4e09f2138bbd0090ae7d2d9b8.jpg

037718cd2704ea8e8d2b866d553f6647.jpg

• Like 5

I’d like it, but, it’s gonna have to wait a while.

TBH I am not disappointed in my 5DIV in any way either. Seeing reviews and sample stuff may change my mind, though. The only thing I really “want” right now is more resolution, though it’s not like I am swimming in storage space or anything.

So Canon shooters.... who is getting the R5 or R6?

I’ll probably pull the trigger depending on how work picks up. I’ll really don’t want to replace my lenses so I’ll get the adapter.

I should really be upgrading my laptop this year as well.

On 7/10/2020 at 9:40 PM, nycHorn said:

I’ll probably pull the trigger depending on how work picks up. I’ll really don’t want to replace my lenses so I’ll get the adapter.

I should really be upgrading my laptop this year as well.

how would it change what you do now

16 hours ago, naija said:

how would it change what you do now

I have the 1dx mk ii and the 4k video codec is motion jpeg, which is an old clunky and inefficient codec.  Huge files.  If the video is really as good as they're touting on the R5 then it'll be nice to have a smaller camera, better codec, c-log and higher res options available.  Plus I'm curious about mirrorless and would love to have a camera to tote around that isn't massive.  

22 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

That sucks.

I still think it is my best option for storing and sharing photos.

I like having my own web space through my old website (which is otherwise basically unused) so I can just remember the directory and file name and post it anywhere. But now my host sucks they make you pay extra for ssl, and most sites are blocking non-ssl certified links to be posted. I can't even post pics to my frequently visited message boards hosted by proboards, and all my old ones disappeared from threads there. I'm gonna have to move soon or find another option.

Bought a 20" beauty dish (white), using it as the key and a soft box for fill. Bare speedlight from behind because why not? May have an actual live model too! Met a chick at the zoo and got to talking photography, turns out she's done some modeling and might be interested in trading. We shall see.

DSC_8375_00001.thumb.jpg.e0246654e6fc056b3c21273dc1fbbc65.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Bought a 20" beauty dish (white), using it as the key and a soft box for fill. Bare speedlight from behind because why not? May have an actual live model too! Met a chick at the zoo and got to talking photography, turns out she's done some modeling and might be interested in trading. We shall see.

DSC_8375_00001.thumb.jpg.e0246654e6fc056b3c21273dc1fbbc65.jpg

Looks nice. Th'at's a good wya to practice lighting. I need to find one with boobs.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

First chance I’ve had to get the drone up. New kiddo means very little spare time...

50121481632_8cc1f8c4b4_b.jpg

Also thought y’all might enjoy my new skin....

50121481992_65cb5c591d_b.jpg

also the reason for my lack of sleep. Go Rangers!

IMG_0103

Maybe you can program the drone to change diapers and stuff

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, DougO said:

Looks nice. Th'at's a good wya to practice lighting. I need to find one with boobs.

Thanks. Long, boring ass summer. Wig head is alright but yeah, boobs would be nice. Arms, abdomen, legs etc... wouldn't hurt either. Hopefully I can talk this gal into letting me take some pictures. Full length body shots may require more space than I have but I can try.