The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

Tried to channel my inner Swayze whilst looking for a fly fishing spot in Salida, CO. Just phone pix, but I figured I'd try.

And I hooked into a decent one but couldn't land it, though that's for the fishing thread.526208a4fa2f37d4a2e4778c3ebb1934.jpge76c97cb07ce43e12496b4094b785e12.jpg03e6deaf54ed456055d4409585df4b7c.jpg49542972936223644189e2e4d972e78f.jpg32dc014895a03fe1599ec796533adeb9.jpg6687c315f8781a2ab548f73a31b8f3f0.jpg

• Like 4

There's a photographer in the PNW, John Cornicello, who has been hosting video conversations with other professionals, both photographers and others with strong ties to photography, since the COVID lockdown has impacted his portrait business so much. Usually it's himself, his guest and then 8 or so other pros as the audience. They're about an hour long and unless they're throwing up images of their work they're sort of podcast like. The conversations though are fantastic, listening to a bunch of highly accomplished individuals share their lives and work stories. He does these twice a week and just started doing them I think in late May so not a bunch on file just yet but I think it may become a thing, at least until the pandemic eases up some. I've listened to Bambi Cantrell, Rick Sammons, Jeff Dunas, a couple of models nobody has ever heard of. Just really fascinating, open and honest discussions, a great source of inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxTu7TApg_RHEjwoyehz-lw

Bored as fuck so went back over to the horse barn for an hour or so this morning to try my hand at using the flash. It went about as expected, the little flash units even when combined only give me about 100ws of power which just isn't enough unless I point them straight at the subject. The result is less than flattering, lol. Two speedlights at full power, probably 70' distance. I think I'll just stick to available light until i can afford and have the desire to own some bigass flash units.

DSC_8683_00001.thumb.jpg.66634c0c545a9d6db756949fcdd1960e.jpg

I had a question about photo resolution, but if this isn't a thread for questions like that, please let me know. I'm trying to understand how really large photo prints are made, prints that are 60" wide x 40" tall.  If I apply 300 ppi to get high quality, it doesn't seem like there is a camera with enough resolution. So what am I missing?

It highly depends on how close you will be viewing it. If it’s from like 5 feet or more away you won’t even need 300ppi.

The answer to actually getting that much resolution is either using a high resolution full frame or medium format camera, using the Brenizer method, or upscaling in photoshop. The interpolation on Photoshop uses AI now and it’s actually pretty impressive.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/resizing-image.html

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It highly depends on how close you will be viewing it. If it’s from like 5 feet or more away you won’t even need 300ppi.

The answer to actually getting that much resolution is either using a high resolution full frame or medium format camera, using the Brenizer method, or upscaling in photoshop. The interpolation on Photoshop uses AI now and it’s actually pretty impressive.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/resizing-image.html

Is scanning the photo at like 600 dpi at it's largest 300dpi size, say 8x10, a reasonable work around?

One of the conversations that the Cornicello guy has had was with the founder of the Palm Springs Photo Festival. I've heard the PSPF event name dropped several times since and decided to check out their website. The event was originally scheduled for last month and then CV hit so they postponed it until September and took it virtual. Instead of being $1,800 + food/lodging or something like that, it's now a reasonable daily rate to "attend" their virtual seminars. Pretty sure the attendees can view the content then for eternity. I could be wrong but I think that the lectures cost is only $50 a day. They're going for number of attendees rather than a select group of deep pockets in person. The PSPF website also has podcasts, many of which are over my head but podcast #6 for 2020 has a Texas guy, Keith Carter from Beaumont. 

Some of his work can be found here...  http://www.artnet.com/artists/keith-carter/3

No formal training, guy just developed his art and now his work hangs in some pretty prestigious collections. Anyway, podcasts are here if you're interested.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/palm-springs-photo-festival-2020-podcast/id1504555980

On 7/24/2020 at 8:49 AM, Handcruser said:

What is the location lol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't know about the location, but one of the pictures has the street name, and here is the street view of it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3921791,-96.8446633,3a,75y,28.6h,83.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sR6mTFlXyGTDffR4J_kH2Sg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edit: Maybe not. Though the building looks the same, the details are different.

Edited by AeroHorn
Failed at spot the difference.

I need some really basic help with Photoshop, maybe one of y'all can set me straight here. I decided to start messing with the program a bit finally and one of the first things I tried was to simply create a layer and mask off/isolate the subject. I created a duplicate background layer to do this on by the way. I did some google and found a tutorial and decided I prefer the painting it as a mask rather than the "marching ant" painting it as a selection method, if that matters. Anyway, my real dumb question is how do I then save this? I painted all around the subject and got it really close without touching the subject, got tired and wanted to save all that work so I could come back to it later and work on it some more so I THOUGHT the changes would be saved when I exited and saved it as a .pdx or whatever. I reopened it and nope, changes/painted area is no more. wrf? I then just did the same thing and switched it to "selection" before closing and still doesn't seem to save this. Help!

13 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Save your project as a .PSD. That is a photoshop document file and will retain all layer data.

Edit: it won’t keep a selection. You have to do something with the selection itself first. Make a copy to a layer or mask or something.

Okie doke. I figured since I was making changes to a duplicate layer that it would retain the selected area on that layer until I came back to it. Thanks, I'll play with it some more without investing so much time in what I was doing before I lost it, lol. :) 

When I do some serious photoshop editing over a period of time and I'm not sure if I'm headed in the right direct, I save the current chunk of work as a new file each time and keep the previous one separate. That way if I find out I have botched the whole thing I can go back to the previous point in the earlier file.

While editing you also have to remember that you can only go back a certain number of steps in your history that are stored, otherwise you have to go back to the beginning where you opened the file. So don't go too far with a bunch of little steps if you are just winging it and aren't sure if it's gonna work out. Be sure and save the last point you know you were cool with as a separate file.

Edited by DougO

17 hours ago, DougO said:

And always keep your original JPG from the camera, unless you really don't give a rat's ass about it and won't care if you lose it. If you edit it, save it as a different file.

Yeah, I learned this long ago. I shoot in RAW now and once I get a chance to look thru what I've taken I'll use the Nikon NX-D software to create a lossless .jpg of the images I like and might want to mess with. I then take those into a folder and further convert them using IVIEW64 into a file size that works for whatever like uploading on here. But I still have the large Nikon file to work from plus the RAW files. I'm not shooting anything that has any real value so if I do fuck up and delete or write over something it's no big loss but I do try to practice as though they're worth something.

I'll keep in mind what you said about saving works in progress. I'm just now starting to explore actual editing/image manipulation and I'm still finding layers a bit of a challenge to understand and navigate. All takes time and effort.

3 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

My problem is I keep every raw file ever, even the bad ones. I need to go cull a bunch of that stuff. It’s eating a ton of HD space.

I do pretty much the same with my original jpgs, but with sports I shoot thousands in a day. I knock out a tiny percentage, those that are completely useless. And then I back them all up  redundantly, most of which is crapola. Taking the time to weed out the stuff you'll never use again is a huge task. I keep thinking I will go through my stuff regularly and gather the really useful stuff, but I never get around to it, probably never will.

Haven't posted anything in a while, so I will purge a few bird pics and night sky photos during my comet attempts from the last couple of weeks.

kingfisher

spoonbills2

littlebluejuv

snowyegrets

neowise

neowise3

This one looked really good in the LCD screen on the camera where the big dipper was really distinct with the comet in view, and the other stars much dimmer in the background. But I couldn't get the same result in editing without cheating pretty hard, so all the stars sort of pop out and blend all together.

neowisedipper

And some semi-lame attempts to capture a sliver of a moon while preparing for the comet stuff. It looked really cool to the eye, but really hard to compose adequately in a small sized image.

moon2

moon3

moonset

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Horse shows are done again for a good while, last one was this weekend. It was the Texas Senior Pro Rodeo circuit event. No bareback or bull riding, just roping and barrels. They had it in the shitty show pavilion and I got frustrated and went nuts with the ISO. Also the lighting has a cast and the color is horribad so I saved them all as B&W to try and hide some of the shittiness. Some of the pictures probably wouldn't be too bad if not for it being indoors.

Cowgirl making money the hard way.

DSC_9177_00001.thumb.jpg.216fb1ecc7ba4e4dbafca7c86039ca51.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DougO said:

Cool shot. It has the look of an old-timey rodeo photo.

Pretty sure there are buckouts on the weekends somewhere around Belton. I'd check them out around here if I could, I think they'd make for great photo ops. They're well suited for B&W, I think because it's such a throwback activity. 

This is Jupiter and some moons as it appeared in the sky through my lens last night. I'm not good at this kid of stuff, but it's interesting to mess around with. My tripod is a cheap peice of trash, nearly useless for dialing in a tiny point through a longass heavy lens.

jupiter

Speaking of tripods, I can recommend Leofoto.

I just bought an LS-323. Yes, it’s a knockoff of a Really Right Stuff and is made in China, but if you’re okay with that, the carbon quality is solid and build quality is great. The 323 is a 3 section tripod without a center column, and at the full height of 60” plus my Sirui K-30X and camera, it comes just about to eye level for me at 6’3”. I had never had an eye level tripod before, and it’s amazing.

They also test extremely well on The Center Column for all purpose and travel tripods.

I was previously using a pretty crappy MeFoto, which rates pretty damn low (almost the bottom) in his stiffness tests. Admittedly it’s an entry level tripod, but the difference is astounding.

• Like 1