The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

Nice with the shot between the box cars.

@DougO we had some interesting clouds up my way this morning to the east as the sun was coming up. Kind of interested to see what sort of weather comes with them today.

The conversations with Cornicello featured a DFW photographer yesterday, JB Sallee. Worth a watch imo. 

Great stuff man!

I need to stop and take more photos when I see stuff like that (and I see it quite often).

I have a photo in mind in Big Bend that is framed similar to your first one, just with a different view in the window.

I just need to get back out there.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Someone on my Instagram said it reminded her of the cover of Led Zeppelin IV.
  • Like 1

Great batch! I'm trying to figure out what kind of bird that is. Look falconish, but can't quite place it.

Thanks.

Both eBird and iNaturalist said Mississippi Kite. Maybe a juvenile? Adults don’t look like that. But it doesn’t look like a kite to me.

I just looked up juvenile Mississippi kite again, I think that is the right ID.

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Thanks.

Both eBird and iNaturalist said Mississippi Kite. Maybe a juvenile? Adults don’t look like that. But it doesn’t look like a kite to me.

OK, that makes sense. I don't think I've ever seen a juvenile. Funny how they lose all that color and turn pretty much light gray.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I just looked up juvenile Mississippi kite again, I think that is the right ID.

This was what I thought it was when I saw it on your Instagram.

These dudes seem like they are everywhere now.
  • Like 1

I don't stop by the thread for one day and miss out on a bird ID. I guess I've never gotten such a good look at a juvie kite perched because that one stumped me for a minute too, even though I see adults every day in the summer. Juvenile raptors are tough IDs for sure

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

I don't stop by the thread for one day and miss out on a bird ID. I guess I've never gotten such a good look at a juvie kite perched because that one stumped me for a minute too, even though I see adults every day in the summer. Juvenile raptors are tough IDs for sure

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

True. I saw a juvenile crested caracara in a pole last week and it took me a while to figure out WTF it was. Never had seen one before. It's the opposite of the kite, the juv is just bland brown/gray with little contrasting features.

Another conversation, this one on paper. My only experience with paper is from consumer b&w stuff from the 70's and this is all about what's out there for inkjets now. On a sidenote, my employer bought me a new HP color laser printer for the house and I've ordered a few sheets of glossy laser photo paper just for giggles. I'm interested to see what sort of results I'll get. 

Those aren't bad results for slide film exposure wise.  Any focal length wider than 35mm and I feel you really have to fight the temptation to capture everything. If anything, that's when the famous aphorism about getting closer kicks in..

Yeah, I was pretty happy with the exposure itself, just not the result with the softness and grain (the first two are using the 50/1.4 and look fine). It was very hazy from the fire smoke and that really affected how things looked, too.

I knew that there was a reason I hadn’t used my 28mm in a while. I agree with the wide angle thing. I used to do a lot of wider angle landscapes and have been using a 70-200 more recently. I love doing huge MP composites at telephoto length.

I had also taken a risk since it was a new to me camera and I hadn’t actually film tested it yet. I bought it from KEH, but it was a second copy since the first one had a fault. Fortunately, the light meter seems to work well.

A few weeks back I bought an Epson XP 15000 to print some of my photos. My old printer was a laser, was only b&w and wasn't wireless so i tell myself I needed a new printer any damn way. Been kind of fun though actually getting something I can hold in my hand other than my pud. I did the maths (against the advice I've received from Surly) and it comes out to a few cents more per print doing it this way but whatever, it was my birthday and I wanted a toy! I bought a few different sizes and types of paper to play with too and might get some more. If I decide I like it I may upgrade to a pigment dye printer on down the road.