The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

One of the "conversations" the John Cornicello guy had a while back was with an exec at Red River paper. I checked out their website just now and bought a couple of sampler packs of their photo paper. Prolly 15 different papers in all, 2 sheets of each in 8.5 x 11. I figure I'll find two photos, one color and one b&w and just see what i get. Also they have free paper profiles there for my particular printer so I'll download those too. TOYS!! 

Those paper samples showed up the very next day, pretty damn good service I'd say! Not ready to print on them yet but I have been playing with the printer some on the cheaper papers that I have. Mostly the 4 x 6 semi-gloss in b&w. Realizing that my monitor settings and the printer output are not on the same page and having to learn to adjust for that.

I went to the river earlier today and snapped some shots of the Doris Miller memorial/statue. Nice installation and worth a visit if you're ever in Waco. Pretty much just a 1 block walk from the downtown Hilton. 

DSC_1270_00001.thumb.jpg.3667e4c2dbfda8f244a5dad2c5283339.jpg

Edited by El Diablo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Still kind of slow lately.  Looking for work has been weighing heavy on me.  Here are some old and a couple new ones.

50346777532_4c796ec6e6_b.jpg

Point and shoot from Brazil in 2007.  Catholic chapel in Liberdade, a Japanese neighborhood in São Paulo.

50369692983_07fc44e692_b.jpg

Same point and shoot, Pomerode, Brazil in 2006.  This is perhaps the most German town in Brazil.  Not sure if the cows speak German though...

50370394526_375c0f99e1_b.jpg

I moved back to Texas from Brazil in 2007.  Took this with the same point and shoot in what was Little Vietnam in Houston.  Now its just yuppies.  I should have started shooting film again when I got back and had my AE-1.

50370555032_27d8b8e3e4_b.jpg

A couple more from Brazil, but with a DSLR...

Rio in 2011

50370394616_9ef8f50ed8_b.jpg

One of my favorite beaches in São Paulo, Praia do Felix, 2009

50370554967_ec2963498b_b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

That is Houston during the last flood event (TS Beta). White Oak Bayou in the foreground.

Would you mind if I snagged that and shared it with my brother in Houston. He's been there since the early 70's and is a land surveyor. He's seen a lot of changes over those years and likes seeing images of the city.

This is one I took back in January. Ran across it this morning and tweaked it a bit, I kind of like rodeo photos in b&w. Now that things are starting to open up a bit I'm hoping that there will be more events like this one. Looking at what I shot then I have a better idea of how to maybe take better pics next time. 

DSC_2755_00001_00001_1.thumb.jpg.5fb18bcb617b5ce6a7e243a095c344dc.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, YChang said:

I really like the story telling by the division of action frozen in the foreground with the observers in the background. 

Thanks. Yeah, getting some crowd reaction makes for a better picture. The most difficult part for me is finding a balance between shutter speed and ISO. Hard to do indoors. 

Nice pics. I use a dinosaur phone but one of my brothers has a fairly new Samsung and he says that it has a RAW file capability of some sort, in addition to having some control over the exposure. Phones can definitely take very nice photos and the subject matter (Lost Creek) absolutely helps. 

I dug around in the sofa last week and found some loose change and now I own a gently used Nikon D500. Unless I ever make the leap to mirrorless cameras I think I'm done with the gear acquisition. This isn't a significant upgrade over the D7500 that I've been using because that's a fantastic camera body imho but the D500 has a few features I'm really looking forward to using; namely the edge-to-edge focus points, its reputed low light focusing ability and it has an optional vertical grip which I also bought. It does weigh a good bit more with a battery installed in the grip but I don't know that I'll be using it for its battery as much as I will for the vertical controls. Twisting my arm/hand around in an awkward way was never fun when shooting vertical and now that is a thing of the past.

I'll probably end up trying to learn the controls this weekend and not actually taking pictures with the thing, lol. Such is life with digital gadgets.

14 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I dug around in the sofa last week and found some loose change and now I own a gently used Nikon D500. Unless I ever make the leap to mirrorless cameras I think I'm done with the gear acquisition. This isn't a significant upgrade over the D7500 that I've been using because that's a fantastic camera body imho but the D500 has a few features I'm really looking forward to using; namely the edge-to-edge focus points, its reputed low light focusing ability and it has an optional vertical grip which I also bought. It does weigh a good bit more with a battery installed in the grip but I don't know that I'll be using it for its battery as much as I will for the vertical controls. Twisting my arm/hand around in an awkward way was never fun when shooting vertical and now that is a thing of the past.

I'll probably end up trying to learn the controls this weekend and not actually taking pictures with the thing, lol. Such is life with digital gadgets.

If you have another sofa can I come over and dig thru it for loose change? Lol

• Haha 1

Questions about post processing RAW files - Where/how did you learn whatever software you use? I'm old and behind the curve on this digimal shit. Do you use more than one program? ACR and then something else like Lightroom? I've got the Nikon NX-D freeware and a 2019 copy of Photoshop Elements. I've scoured the intertrons and there's not a lot out there on the NX-D which is a bit surprising but I like it for what it is. For one thing it recognizes the picture "profiles" that the file comes out of the camera with so when I import it it looks like the JPEG it would output. My understanding of ACR and other 3rd party stuff is that they import with none of that in-camera stuff attached so it's a flat/neutral image? Right?

Anyway, I'd like to have some discussion on the topic of digital in general, working with the dynamic range limitations or anything else that you've mastered or struggle with. I'm here to learn. TIA

I use Lightroom. It is not the best file manager, but it works.

You can apply a camera profile to your photo. I usually set mine to apply the “camera faithful” one on import to get a good baseline, though I change it sometimes.

YouTube is good for learning.

Tony & Chelsea Northrup have good tutorials.

I’ve been watching a lot of Mark Denney’s channel lately, too.

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I use Lightroom. It is not the best file manager, but it works.

You can apply a camera profile to your photo. I usually set mine to apply the “camera faithful” one on import to get a good baseline, though I change it sometimes.

YouTube is good for learning.

Tony & Chelsea Northrup have good tutorials.

I’ve been watching a lot of Mark Denney’s channel lately, too.

Appreciate the quick reply. Where did you learn what you do use? I think that I have pretty much everything I need really, just don't know how to use it. PSE has ACR built in but I don't know what I don't know and I *THINK* that the Nikon freeware does pretty much what anyone would do with ACR. 

Do you use LR for global picture fixes the way some use ACR before messing with it further? I've watched a shit ton of youtube vids but man, there's about a million of them online and it's a fucking rabbit hole from hell. I did buy a digital book specific to my edition of PSE so I am planning to take a deep dive into that soon. 500 pages from the elementary to the absurd. The software IS so powerful and flexible that I have realized that people who have been using it in some form for years keep getting surprised by features or ways to do things that they weren't aware of. Gonna be a long, slow climb. 

Another good thing about the Nikon software, it does some of that, at least for the Nikon gear, all by isseff. One of the reasons I'm puzzled by the lack of online content for NX-D. I know there's some connection between it and a 3rd party product line of plugins or something (Nik collection maybe?), one was the spinoff from the other but I don't recall the details. 

I was sitting in front of the Hilton downtown fiddling with the camera and using the longhorn cattle sculptures across the street to dial in the exposure yesterday. Cars kept whizzing by blocking my efforts but then it hit me to try a panning shot to create motion blur. As it turned out the distance/speed ratio wasn't exactly what you want but I think I gained enough insight on the process to actually go out and get a decent shot next time. It's shitty but hey, I wasn't expecting to get it perfect first time. I think it'll be something fun to play with when I do get out again.

DSC_2719_00001.thumb.jpg.74023995b5d094321619e6ae45cded55.jpg