The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

@Patricio Swayze did the interior shot thru the doorway towards the window require much in post processing to even out the exposure or were you just able to get it in camera that way? Nice work, regardless. 

Thanks.

Interiors I typically shoot interiors that have a window at -2 or -3 EV (exposure value/compensation).  When I edit, I will drop the highlights a bit and bring out the shadows.  Sometimes I will have to increase exposure a bit.  Basically, I am using these tools as a lazy way to do dodge and burn.  It is tough to shoot interiors of churches with nice stained glass because you want the color and detail, but if you expose for the window the interior will be too dark.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Thanks.

Interiors I typically shoot interiors that have a window at -2 or -3 EV (exposure value/compensation).  When I edit, I will drop the highlights a bit and bring out the shadows.  Sometimes I will have to increase exposure a bit.  Basically, I am using these tools as a lazy way to do dodge and burn.  It is tough to shoot interiors of churches with nice stained glass because you want the color and detail, but if you expose for the window the interior will be too dark.

On that shot did you use any masks or just tweak the highlights and shadows of the entire image?

14 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Yee-haw.

ETA: Shot at 10K ISO, 1/1000s f4 with the f2.8 Nikon 180mm that @DougO loaned me a year and a half or so ago. I found a vantage point down on the floor of the arena that I had not previously discovered but all the action was at the other end of the arena. The long focal length + crop sensor +modern ISO is the only way this shot happens in available light, at least for me. I think I'll just have to learn to embrace the ugliness. I was talking to one of the pros who shoots these things regularly and they told me there's an arena in Katy that has modern LED lighting and uses a light-ish gray dirt that kicks some light back up. Really makes a difference they said and the shots from there aren't just all some variety of shades of brown.

buckaroo.thumb.jpg.3dc29272ac58d32d97de5723ff025a67.jpg

Nice one! The conversion to b&w definitey helps with the mega  high iso, makes it look more like an old pushed Tri-X film shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Nice one! The conversion to b&w definitey helps with the mega  high iso, makes it look more like an old pushed Tri-X film shot.

it helps a little bit but the environment just has no real contrast. Dirt's brown, walls are beige, horses and cattle are usually some variant of those. B&W can't help that. 

I missed the "good" events with the rough stock yesterday due to having to work. fml. One or two shows like that a year where I can get in with my camera and lenses and nope, you got to WORK, son. 

10 minutes ago, baboso said:

Swayze, your two passions ever intersect when you are shooting these old shacks?  Stumble across any sneks?

Yeah.  Most of these old farms have a lot of tin laying around.  Usually good for a coachwhip.  Nearly stepped on a cottonmouth at an abandoned prison.  See quite a few owls too, which I love to see.

• Hook 'Em 2

Finally found the old ferry boat pict I've been looking for.  Not that the resident experts give a whoop.   Not pretending to be a photographer by any means, just an iphone pict. I used it for a screensaver for a long time.  Just got a thing for abandoned boats and ships.  

100_0788.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Yeah.  Most of these old farms have a lot of tin laying around.  Usually good for a coachwhip.  Nearly stepped on a cottonmouth at an abandoned prison.  See quite a few owls too, which I love to see.

How many times have you been lit up by wasps and yellow jackets?

On 1/7/2021 at 6:17 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Finally found the old ferry boat pict I've been looking for.  Not that the resident experts give a whoop.   Not pretending to be a photographer by any means, just an iphone pict. I used it for a screensaver for a long time.  Just got a thing for abandoned boats and ships.  

100_0788.jpg

A friend and I took a road trip in the fall of '81 from Norfolk. VA to Bar Harbor, ME. Lots of abandoned boats up Maine way, masted ships of all sorts. Been sitting out there for a long, long time. Sort of mournful. Oh the stories they could tell. 

I need to dig through some old memory sticks and see if I can find a ferry pic I took 10+ years ago.   There was an old ferry basically dead docked in Tacoma that had been one of the first double decker car carriers in the Puget Sound.   Once it finished that life, it ended up in Alaska as a floating cannery.   Never got inside and I'd bet it looked like a giant warehouse inside with all the retro-fitting it had gone through but the exterior was classic 50's.  It looked like an old car almost with the rounded edges and sleek curved lines.    Even though it was old and worn out, she still had a little sparkle.

I finished my book. I am not good at selling and promoting myself, but if anyone is interested in it, please DM me and I will give you the payment details. It is 50 of my photos in an 8x10 format. $45 post paid if you preorder this week. Otherwise it is $55 plus postage (I’ll post a link later). Print in demand is expensive, but since I do t have a publisher, this was my only choice. Thanks for checking it out.

https://images2.imgbox.com/c3/d9/bszWXUc5_o.jpeg

https://images2.imgbox.com/d5/c0/lPRetuaa_o.jpeg

https://images2.imgbox.com/fb/4a/ZyKSdFh3_o.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

I don’t know anything about photography but enjoy this thread. Help me understand what you’re doing with that mannequin in all of your pics. Is it a subtle lighting thing or some other technique type thing?

She's a tackling dummy, of sorts as well as my personal "roaming gnome". A meme if you will. No real point I guess other than "she" provides a ready subject when there's none available. As a complete amateur and being effectively home bound by the combination of my eyesight (legally blind, don't drive) and the pandemic I shoot just to be shooting a good bit. On this particular occasion the rare snow presented something new. The immediate area where I live (that within short/safe walking distance (have to remember that the footing was obscured by snow)) didn't really present anything noteworthy but the kid in me wanted to get out. The effect of the cold on batteries, the moisture/condensation on the gear when you come back inside were all new to me. I'd never played photographer in the snow before (explaining this particular day) so the whole thing was a bit of an experiment. I took quite a few other shots, most all for my own education. Posted this one because, why not? The main thing I took away from this excursion was don't always trust your light meter. 

I did run across this dog while I was out.

DSC_5727_00001.thumb.jpg.21f7a7bcb0a613870c6f10e1fcda831e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I finished my book. I am not good at selling and promoting myself, but if anyone is interested in it, please DM me and I will give you the payment details. It is 50 of my photos in an 8x10 format. $45 post paid if you preorder this week. Otherwise it is $55 plus postage (I’ll post a link later). Print in demand is expensive, but since I do t have a publisher, this was my only choice. Thanks for checking it out.

https://images2.imgbox.com/c3/d9/bszWXUc5_o.jpeg

https://images2.imgbox.com/d5/c0/lPRetuaa_o.jpeg

https://images2.imgbox.com/fb/4a/ZyKSdFh3_o.jpeg

Are they all pictures of your crotch?   If so, that's a hard no for me.

I love looking at y'alls pictures and wish I knew enough to justify a nice camera.  As it is, I took this picture during the snow storm with my phone.  I'd love to get it blown up but the quality just isn't there.  PS...I also have no clue how to upload pictures, so if the size is too big and the site doesn't adjust let me know how to fix it.

Cele large.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Catpfish said:

I love looking at y'alls pictures and wish I knew enough to justify a nice camera.  As it is, I took this picture during the snow storm with my phone.  I'd love to get it blown up but the quality just isn't there.  PS...I also have no clue how to upload pictures, so if the size is too big and the site doesn't adjust let me know how to fix it.

Cele large.jpg

All I ever use is my iPhone. I must say that I am pleased with my efforts overall for what I do. Occasionally I wish that i did have a nice zoom feature though.

Nice pic.

You guys with smartphones, if you really enjoy it, I cannot recommend a DSLR or mirrorless camera enough. Take that next step. It’s a really rewarding, congenial hobby.

Totally agree. I have been shooting since 1994, but was less active from 2001-2006. In 2009 I got my first DSLR and I can not stop shooting.
  • Like 1

I wish I got out as much as Swayze does. I don’t think I’m that bold, though, to go the places you do.

Shit man. I wish I could get out west as much as you. Since I have been unemployed since last April I certainly have been doing more photography. But I wish I could get more than a few hours away from Houston.

I travel a lot for business (username) so a lot of my picture subjects are a result of that.  If I am going to a new or exciting place I usually schedule a few extra days to kick around.  So far the job has taken me to 29 different countries and multiple states.  I also do a lot of hiking which is another source of pics for me.  Around Thanksgiving I did a 3 week loop through NM, AZ, Utah and Colorado hitting a lot of the National Parks (will be posting some pics soon).  It may be a lame excuse but the availability, ease of use, and less baggage is why I do what I do for pics.  I suppose if going out to take pics was my priority then for sure I would upgrade.

However, I will look (Surly peer pressure!) into a DSLR.  First step is to google what DSLR means.

I travel a lot for business (username) so a lot of my picture subjects are a result of that.  If I am going to a new or exciting place I usually schedule a few extra days to kick around.  So far the job has taken me to 29 different countries and multiple states.  I also do a lot of hiking which is another source of pics for me.  Around Thanksgiving I did a 3 week loop through NM, AZ, Utah and Colorado hitting a lot of the National Parks (will be posting some pics soon).  It may be a lame excuse but the availability, ease of use, and less baggage is why I do what I do for pics.  I suppose if going out to take pics was my priority then for sure I would upgrade.
However, I will look (Surly peer pressure!) into a DSLR.  First step is to google what DSLR means.

Naija should chime in, but for you maybe you should look into the Fuji cameras. Perhaps mirrorless.

12 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

You guys with smartphones, if you really enjoy it, I cannot recommend a DSLR or mirrorless camera enough. Take that next step. It’s a really rewarding, congenial hobby.

I agree, completely. But I have to admit, recently I had to take some impromptu family photos outside a restaurant, just had my phone. A year or so earlier I had photographed the same clan all set up with my DSLR. The phone pictures were so much better it was almost disturbing. It was more like street photograhy, which is something I don't usually do. But they were so much more spontaneous and the subjects were so much more relaxed in front of a phone instead of a camera it made a huge different. If it weren't for the shutter lag it could be my go-to for close people situations. Maybe I should get some little easy compact camera for those things, though I don't have that much family left to shoot.

I agree, completely. But I have to admit, recently I had to take some impromptu family photos outside a restaurant, just had my phone. A year or so earlier I had photographed the same clan all set up with my DSLR. The phone pictures were so much better it was almost disturbing. It was more like street photograhy, which is something I don't usually do. But they were so much more spontaneous and the subjects were so much more relaxed in front of a phone instead of a camera it made a huge different. If it weren't for the shutter lag it could be my go-to for close people situations. Maybe I should get some little easy compact camera for those things, though I don't have that much family left to shoot.

I have on many occasions been out shooting and taken a photo with my phone then DSLR and later while editing I realize I like the camera shot more. I think part of it is my first instinct on the angle was better than the second time when I shot with my camera. But I try not to discriminate when it comes to camera, like we all have talked about, the best camera is the one you have on you at the time. But we also can’t deny certain tools work better. I mean, Doug isn’t going to get the spectacular bird shots he does with an iPhone. I can’t get quality lowlight photos with a phone (even with all the new fancy software they have for it).
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

One important aspect of it is that you can change your angle of view far more quickly with a phone where you are holding the viewing screen away from your body, rather than having it attached to your face. You can extend your arm out in an instant and get that big difference in angle up close, rather than taking several steps to the side and recomposing.

Maybe I need a small mirrorless camera with a short lens, using the LCD screen, for those things. I think people are also more comfortable around a phone instead of a camera with a photographer staring you down through the lens and waiting for you to do something. Or maybe it is me that is more comfortable. I generally don't like doing family photo stuff, it just makes me tense.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PhillyD said:

You guys who use the DSLR, do you ever try to use the LCD screen to shoot?

Really the only time I do that is when I am holding the camera above my head, which I did today for this shot:

spacer.png

Or if I lay the camera on the ground, which I sometimes do when shooting mushrooms, like this:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Same here. I don't like using screens to shoot, can't focus with them. But once in a great while I use it to shoot overhead, like a football coin toss or similar type deal.

It's really the biggest weakness with shooting dslr video, as well. There is no option to view it through the camera, and the resolution with my bad eyes isn't enough to allow me to see if it is really in focus from the screen.

A few more from the zoo.  There's an elevated observation platform at the giraffe exhibit and underneath that is a vending machine area. Normally this area is blocked from a view of the giraffes by trees but now with a lot of the trees being bare I noticed a small viewing port. So some giraffe paparazzo/creeper style photos and one of what looks to be a giraffe with a giraffe growing out of his ass.

DSC_5887_00001.thumb.jpg.510e934947eb6805ceffce94135fdb36.jpg

DSC_5896_00001.thumb.jpg.f929a9973bab4601bf27bd5854fce8fb.jpg

DSC_5866_00001.thumb.jpg.9d5837818ea4a84ddfda99afb568e708.jpg

DSC_5859_00001.thumb.jpg.4c72e3a25d6b8178647c4a793f068687.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3