The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

Great stuff.

I need to do the same thing. I also have that show saved, need to watch it.

Thanks.

I thought it was pretty great. Worth the watch. Made me want to go out there immediately. But I can’t. I love my family, zero regrets...but damn, people who can go wherever and whenever they want, I will forever be envious.

Thanks.

I thought it was pretty great. Worth the watch. Made me want to go out there immediately. But I can’t. I love my family, zero regrets...but damn, people who can go wherever and whenever they want, I will forever be envious.

I hear ya. I can go pretty often, but I’m always with non-photographer family or friends, and it cramps my style. At some point, I’m just gonna have to take more solo trips.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, nycHorn said:

That’s nice. You’re American? My girlfriend is Czech and I always want to move there and start a family there. All her family is basically in Kladno now. Some still in Vokov.
That’s a tough, tough language to pick up (for me at least).

I tell people I’m Texan, but yeah. Congrats on the Czech girlfriend. I’ve found Czech to be the most brutal Slavic language I’ve tried to tackle— and all of them are rough. 

Prague is in the running for most beautiful city in Europe, which means it’s a contender for most beautiful city in the world. If I could choose any city in CR, it would be Brno though. Great university town with a cool vibe.

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I tell people I’m Texan, but yeah. Congrats on the Czech girlfriend. I’ve found Czech to be the most brutal Slavic language I’ve tried to tackle— and all of them are rough. 

Prague is in the running for most beautiful city in Europe, which means it’s a contender for most beautiful city in the world. If I could choose any city in CR, it would be Brno though. Great university town with a cool vibe.

I travel internationally for business.  31 different countries and counting.  I always lead with the same, I am a Texan.  People eat that up more so than just being from the States.  Their image of Texas is cowboys, cattle, guns, oil, and pick up trucks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

First building gives it away.  Prague to me was like Disneyland--just too nice, didn't seem real.  Budapest and Berlin were my speed.  Wonder if I'd like Bruges?    

Prague can give that impression, most of the city core is a UNESCO site. But there are lots of districts and most visitors only see three or four. Holesovice in Prague 7 has a very Budapest feel as does Andel in Prague 5.

Berlin is cool, Budapest is one mr my favorite Euro capitals.  I haven’t been to Bruges. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I was doing a cleanup of my cloud storage and thought I’d post a couple snaps of what was without a doubt the most intense and awesome live sporting match I’ve ever attended— kopkara (buz kashi) in eastern Uzbekistan.  Thought the assholes here would appreciate it, you probably know it from the Rambo movies. This particular match had attracted riders from several of the post-Soviet ‘Stans to compete for things like DVD players, TVs, and other appliances. Photos I think convey the atmosphere, although I didn’t have a zoom lens and it was hard to get close because the playing field/spectator zone boundary was pretty fluid.

Prepping the “ball” 4803d2d40ff2a02ffcba14c006ba5884.jpg

This rider is wearing the inner liner of an old Soviet tanker helmet, which was pretty common.

a45c39c8b8c3a436b26a5c6b657cfc76.jpg

Scrum-style “kickoff”. Fortune favors the bold.

f31085d3dcf0f834cf601e099e7bd5b2.jpg

On the fast break.......You can see that one leg helps you keep a grip on the goat.

a41744792f1450b12ff05b1a66a258f0.jpg

A “goal” is just dropping the goat into a circle of straw at one end of the “field.”

ae9fb933ccc12fd6051a4f8297d16197.jpg

This Kazakh rider chatted with me a bit during a break in the action. He told me the game was “Ok.” He also offered me the opportunity to ride for “a few minutes,” the answer was “no thank you.” I think he also called me a coward in Kazakh but I’m not sure.

ea9d7a5ffac0186cf74986637d0aa9af.jpg

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Nice to see Naija back in this thread.  Cajun, you are making me regret not getting the drone out for this weather event.  Everyone else, great shots.  Wish I could visit these places y'all live.

I have been dealing with a lot of crap with this storm, so not a lot of photography the last few days.  Here are a few though...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 2/16/2021 at 1:44 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

I was doing a cleanup of my cloud storage and thought I’d post a couple snaps of what was without a doubt the most intense and awesome live sporting match I’ve ever attended— kopkara (buz kashi) in eastern Uzbekistan.  Thought the assholes here would appreciate it, you probably know it from the Rambo movies. This particular match had attracted riders from several of the post-Soviet ‘Stans to compete for things like DVD players, TVs, and other appliances. Photos I think convey the atmosphere, although I didn’t have a zoom lens and it was hard to get close because the playing field/spectator zone boundary was pretty fluid.

Prepping the “ball” 4803d2d40ff2a02ffcba14c006ba5884.jpg

This rider is wearing the inner liner of an old Soviet tanker helmet, which was pretty common.

a45c39c8b8c3a436b26a5c6b657cfc76.jpg

Scrum-style “kickoff”. Fortune favors the bold.

f31085d3dcf0f834cf601e099e7bd5b2.jpg

On the fast break.......You can see that one leg helps you keep a grip on the goat.

a41744792f1450b12ff05b1a66a258f0.jpg

A “goal” is just dropping the goat into a circle of straw at one end of the “field.”

ae9fb933ccc12fd6051a4f8297d16197.jpg

This Kazakh rider chatted with me a bit during a break in the action. He told me the game was “Ok.” He also offered me the opportunity to ride for “a few minutes,” the answer was “no thank you.” I think he also called me a coward in Kazakh but I’m not sure.

ea9d7a5ffac0186cf74986637d0aa9af.jpg

That's awesome. I remeber a big article about that sport in SI or Nat Geo or something may years ago when magazines were relevant and just started doing online stuff. Always been fascinated by that. Must be quite a spectacle.

Been offline from my dsl and don't do much internets from my phone so just now catching up for the week. Great opportunites for birds and stuff in the snow, but unfortunately having to deal with just about every rural poors in coldass freezing shit emergency possible and trying to keep the cows alive to even try to get out a real camera.

Lady photographer from San Antonio that I've met at a few of the horse shows, think her name is Tina something, has a niche market in photographing equestrian archers. Either late in 2019 or maybe last year she got invited to go to Mongolia and live in a yurt for a month or so as the official photographer for some middle east royal family. These rich goobers get together for this stuff at different locations to compete for bragging rights. She's been over to Jordan, Syria etc... doing this before. She was traveling from Texas to West Coast and then on to China, at least that was the plan... then there was unrest in Hong Kong and of course COVID so it never happened. She has no fear of laying on the ground and letting the riders come galloping past so she can get good shots. Not the same as "goat toss" equestrian game but still... Crazy mofos. 

43 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Lady photographer from San Antonio that I've met at a few of the horse shows, think her name is Tina something, has a niche market in photographing equestrian archers. Either late in 2019 or maybe last year she got invited to go to Mongolia and live in a yurt for a month or so as the official photographer for some middle east royal family. These rich goobers get together for this stuff at different locations to compete for bragging rights. She's been over to Jordan, Syria etc... doing this before. She was traveling from Texas to West Coast and then on to China, at least that was the plan... then there was unrest in Hong Kong and of course COVID so it never happened. She has no fear of laying on the ground and letting the riders come galloping past so she can get good shots. Not the same as "goat toss" equestrian game but still... Crazy mofos. 

I would love to see equestrian archery, that’s legacy of Genghis Khan shit. 

Going to that buzkashi game is a highlight of a lifetime. It’s why you travel. Yeah, these guys were wearing tracksuits and cast-off Soviet army gear but the scene was straight out of the 18th century. The horsemanship on display would make the best rodeo cowboy hang his head. Gallop up out of a crowd, swing yourself down and one hand a dead goat laying on the ground, then beat the rest of the herd back with your whip. Or gallop right beside some other dude holding the goat, give him a shove and grab the carcass yourself and wheel back the other way. Absolutely incredible. 

The ladies set out a spread— plates filled with steaming plov (pilaf) and hot sweet tea. Eaten on the ground picnic style.

When you find unspent rounds, do you pocket 'em?  Such a strong narrative with the tape. For each of these images, you could note the gps coordinates.  Also, when you find half a corpse, do you call the coroner?  Just wonder if there's protocol involved. Interesting shots--even the church pic at the end.  The tree reminds me of witness trees, I've seen maybe two: https://www.battlefields.org/learn/head-tilting-history/witness-trees .    Love the idea of human decay or residue, the empty structures and benches all imply a strong figurative presence and shared experience.  The skeletal remains look like the body melted and the bars of the back of the chair are reminiscent of a cell.  Antonio Lopez Garcia draws from similar themes

image.png.39e953650ad4ac462acf83e6cb451077.png    image.png.e084d97ce9472d0405e54726b034732e.png

Just saying you're really documenting a passing/recorded experience of the changing of time.  I'd love to see an exhibit of these somewhere--hope you're pitching them. It may not be new but what makes it yours is the volume of your daily wanderings in search and discovery mode.  Some people look for fossilized sharks teeth on the regular. You record the remains of human activity and last, isolated gasps as it transitions and gets reclaimed.        

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Like 2

First off, I sincerely appreciate your thoughtful insight into what I am doing. Seriously.

I haven’t ever kept the bullets I have found. Interestingly, you are the second to ask me that in the last few hours. I am not a gun guy. Not against them, just don’t have experience. I’m a knife guy. Maybe I should start to collect them for enthusiasts.

This is the first time I have photographed what is obviously human remains. I did find what looked to be a human femur before, but I am not an expert and can’t confirm. This one was obviously abandoned forensic material. There was plenty of other “archived” police evidence that I am confident this was legit. Funny thing is I have been to this location before but didn’t see the bones until a friend came across them the other day. So I made a return trip. It was pretty surreal. I was surprised how light the femurs were.

Maybe some of these photos will make their way into future books I hope to publish, but time will tell. I am working with UH to donate many of my photos of Houston and graffiti/street art to their permanent collections for research purposes.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

First off, I sincerely appreciate your thoughtful insight into what I am doing. Seriously.

I haven’t ever kept the bullets I have found. Interestingly, you are the second to ask me that in the last few hours. I am not a gun guy. Not against them, just don’t have experience. I’m a knife guy. Maybe I should start to collect them for enthusiasts.

This is the first time I have photographed what is obviously human remains. I did find what looked to be a human femur before, but I am not an expert and can’t confirm. This one was obviously abandoned forensic material. There was plenty of other “archived” police evidence that I am confident this was legit. Funny thing is I have been to this location before but didn’t see the bones until a friend came across them the other day. So I made a return trip. It was pretty surreal. I was surprised how light the femurs were.

Maybe some of these photos will make their way into future books I hope to publish, but time will tell. I am working with UH to donate many of my photos of Houston and graffiti/street art to their permanent collections for research purposes.

Do you ever get scared or nervous prowling around in some of these areas?  Some of the locations appear a little "rough".  Looks like you could easily be mugged and your equipment pawned for an easy fix!  Or are you recognized as that crazy guy with a camera and they just leave you alone?!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

great photos as always.  (if you're willing) where (both location and type of building) did you find the remains? is that an old jailhouse?  did you notify the cops or anything like that?  not saying you should have just interested in how that went down / your thoughts.

• Like 1

Do you ever get scared or nervous prowling around in some of these areas?  Some of the locations appear a little "rough".  Looks like you could easily be mugged and your equipment pawned for an easy fix!  Or are you recognized as that crazy guy with a camera and they just leave you alone?!

I think you are talking about places like the 5th Ward and other poor neighborhoods in Houston. I feel I have excellent situational awareness (I think part of that comes from being a photographer for many years). So I am always looking around. I pick my spots. Some people don’t want me around and I can usually perceive that, so I don’t push it. However, I also think many think I am a cop. That kind of helps. Also at this point I think many in the neighborhoods I frequent recognize my truck and don’t pay much mind to me anymore.

great photos as always.  (if you're willing) where (both location and type of building) did you find the remains? is that an old jailhouse?  did you notify the cops or anything like that?  not saying you should have just interested in how that went down / your thoughts.

I don’t want to give out that location, for obvious reasons. However, you are right, it’s an abandoned jail. In the basement of a building in a small town that was multipurpose (top floor was a reception hall).

I actually had been to this location about 2 years ago and didn’t see the remains. A friend was recently there and a guy he was with decided to rummage through boxes and bags and discovered them. There was a lot of discarded evidence that was tagged and bagged. At first him and I were confused by the remains as to how and why, but considering the building and context I am fairly certain it was used for forensic science in this small town/county. So after we figured that was the case, we decided not to call it in. Had it appeared to be something more nefarious, we would have told someone.
  • Like 1

Trying to figure out how to light someone who is wearing a hat in a portrait type setting. Obviously tricky because the brim of the hat shades the eyes. I set this up today but don't really like it. Maybe go ahead and raise the key light to more of a traditional 45 deg and use a fill from directly on axis w/camera? Not sure how to balance that though and am afraid it would create some weird cross shadows. Thoughts anyone? @nycHorn you have any experience with something like this? Included a shot of the lights as well. 

DSC_5262_00001.thumb.jpg.16a7eeb48dfc4d8e21af6294d1678d23.jpg

DSC_5270_00001.thumb.jpg.777c2c450c63d54e9a238702002cde11.jpg

• Like 1

Is there a trick to finding barn owls? I have a few small shelters around but have never seen one in memory. I think I remember seeing one in the back of my dad's workshop when I was very young, but it's fuzzy.

The only trick I have is searching abandoned churches and other structures like barns or workshops. Twice now I have seen one at this same abandoned church, so I am pretty sure it’s a resident. Will see when my dad and I go back soon.
  • Like 2