The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

In my 5 years of birding, I've yet to find one, despite seeing 5 other owl species in Texas. It looks like Granger Lake is a reliable place for them though, which I believe is not terribly far from you, Doug. I may have to make a trip out there myself to find them.

I have seen Barn Owls 3 times. Twice they were flying away from me as I got close to their roost. However, I have one bad photo of two that were roosting in some stockyards. I think I recently deleted it because it was such a bad shot. If I had my 100-400mm back then, I could have got some great shots as they never flew off. I called the business that is in the abandoned stockyards and they said they don’t let people back there anymore as the structure is in bad shape.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Trying to figure out how to light someone who is wearing a hat in a portrait type setting. Obviously tricky because the brim of the hat shades the eyes. I set this up today but don't really like it. Maybe go ahead and raise the key light to more of a traditional 45 deg and use a fill from directly on axis w/camera? Not sure how to balance that though and am afraid it would create some weird cross shadows. Thoughts anyone? @nycHorn you have any experience with something like this? Included a shot of the lights as well. 

DSC_5262_00001.thumb.jpg.16a7eeb48dfc4d8e21af6294d1678d23.jpg

DSC_5270_00001.thumb.jpg.777c2c450c63d54e9a238702002cde11.jpg

Looking nice man!  

Yeah, you got it.  Not really a ton of options when dealing with a hat:  Push the brim up or have the model tilt the chin up to help light get under, but that changes the whole mood.  You could use a disk reflector/bead board/show card on the ground to bounce light back up under, but with a tight space setup like the one here, you might not have the angle to do so.  If you had another light you could shoot it into the wall behind the camera and it would act as a soft fill to just lift the shadows under the brim while leaving your softbox to set the mood.  But yeah, lowering the light is the quickest and most effective.  

You can also see that black felt, black velvet anything like that absolutely absorbs light like a blackhole.  You did great with the hat/hair light on camera left to show the shape of the hat.  That and the leather band showing up from the key light does justice to the hat.  

It works better with an umbrella/softlighter, but you can try a little trick with the softbox.  Instead of pointing the light directly at her face there, rotate the light a little to the left.  It will feel like the middle of the softbox is aimed at a point just in front of her nose.  It'll help "wrap" the light around her face a little and illuminate the other side.  If your softbox is rectangular, you can rotate it so the long axis is horizontal and it'll help wrap as well.  Full body that won't work, but since it's a tight portrait, it should be fine.  Give it a shot, if you have questions, lemme know.  

You should get a model and start shooting a real person - it definitely ups the stakes as you're now watching the hair, the makeup, the posing and trying to effectively communicate with the model while capturing the moments.  

Looking good man, keep it up.

• Hook 'Em 1

Is there a trick to finding barn owls? I have a few small shelters around but have never seen one in memory. I think I remember seeing one in the back of my dad's workshop when I was very young, but it's fuzzy.
I ended up heading to WilCo and getting the barn owl. Also found a pair of burrowing owls not too far away that a photographer was getting great shots of. Lmk if you want location details. Here is my horrible cell phone to binocs photo of the burrowing edaa93a982d6442a6403fc0d9db3aeb2.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Yea, they're alive still. I'm pretty sure there is a substantial population in NYC, but they nest around electric substations which I guess helps keep them warm. I've seen them fly over my house in North Austin since the storm, and even had one come to the feeder during, as you can see in this excellent binocular photo. I had never seen them do that before.f13328fc2c1655ad1e555f8112a2bc8a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

In my 5 years of birding, I've yet to find one, despite seeing 5 other owl species in Texas. It looks like Granger Lake is a reliable place for them though, which I believe is not terribly far from you, Doug. I may have to make a trip out there myself to find them.

Since I started officially documenting my bird sightings in 2017 I have never identified any owl other than great horned owl. There are supposed to be screech owls all over the county, but I keep listening for them and still no luck.

7 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

I ended up heading to WilCo and getting the barn owl. Also found a pair of burrowing owls not too far away that a photographer was getting great shots of. Lmk if you want location details. Here is my horrible cell phone to binocs photo of the burrowing edaa93a982d6442a6403fc0d9db3aeb2.jpg

I have a general idea where they get sighted from looking at the ebird reports, but I don't usually get out that remotely, especially when I'm alone. I'm always afraid I'll do something stupid driving will looking for birds at the same time. And between the cows and looking after my mom I don't like to get out more than a couple of hours at a time. Occassionally the wander over across the Bell County line not far from Granger, but I haven't been out that way yet.

• Like 1

I'm about to do a road trip:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLXBEOgnNYa/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLXB78-H7hO/

https://loudounwildlife.org/2018/01/owls-hawks-rosss-cackling-goose/

All three groups got great looks at several active Short-eared Owls with seven along Lucketts Rd and perhaps as many as 10 in the vicinity of Foxcroft Rd and St Louis Rd, where a couple were perched high in trees prior to beginning their evening flight. One also interacted with an immature Bald Eagle once they started flying. Another highlight was a Barn Owl seen by one of the groups that had special permission  to go on private property. 

supposed to be 6 there now. 

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, nycHorn said:

Looking nice man!  

Yeah, you got it.  Not really a ton of options when dealing with a hat:  Push the brim up or have the model tilt the chin up to help light get under, but that changes the whole mood.  You could use a disk reflector/bead board/show card on the ground to bounce light back up under, but with a tight space setup like the one here, you might not have the angle to do so.  If you had another light you could shoot it into the wall behind the camera and it would act as a soft fill to just lift the shadows under the brim while leaving your softbox to set the mood.  But yeah, lowering the light is the quickest and most effective.  

You can also see that black felt, black velvet anything like that absolutely absorbs light like a blackhole.  You did great with the hat/hair light on camera left to show the shape of the hat.  That and the leather band showing up from the key light does justice to the hat.  

It works better with an umbrella/softlighter, but you can try a little trick with the softbox.  Instead of pointing the light directly at her face there, rotate the light a little to the left.  It will feel like the middle of the softbox is aimed at a point just in front of her nose.  It'll help "wrap" the light around her face a little and illuminate the other side.  If your softbox is rectangular, you can rotate it so the long axis is horizontal and it'll help wrap as well.  Full body that won't work, but since it's a tight portrait, it should be fine.  Give it a shot, if you have questions, lemme know.  

You should get a model and start shooting a real person - it definitely ups the stakes as you're now watching the hair, the makeup, the posing and trying to effectively communicate with the model while capturing the moments.  

Looking good man, keep it up.

Yeah, lack of space creates its own set of issues for sure. Trying to get the subject lit and controlling the spill is one of them. I was using the softbox just because it is inherently a bit more directional. I did try an umbrella and flagged the edge nearest the wall. I think with that I just had the umbrella jammed in so close that the falloff was so dramatic that it almost gave it a split light look. I ended up going back to the softbox and repositioning myself, in the kitchen. :) There's an open "window" of sorts in the wall between the kitchen and dining room so that I was able to move everything about 45 deg and the back wall is wide enough that I could shoot from right to left and use that left side of the backdrop. Feathered the box so just the back edge was on the subject and got a little bit of wrap around. Put a white reflector opposite that and then used the black flag again to prevent spill on the background. I started out with the model almost in profile facing nearly straight into the box and then slowly tweaked them both.

Got tired of fucking around with it after a while so I pushed everything into a corner and will probably play with again tomorrow. I think I might still have the box too close because the left side of the nose is pretty blown out with no detail. I think if I just pulled the box back a little bit and gave the angle a slight twist I could get a better shot and use the reflector to even out any shadows on that side. 

Then I gelled the background because why not? Oh, also know what you mean about the black felt so switched to a Mexican field workers straw hat. Brim casts a weird shadow and the underside of it is a bit lit up too. Something to work on. Might end up doing as you suggested and lifting the light a bit and bouncing off the wall to fill. The light coming directly from the side at head height just looks unnatural. 

DSC_5373_00001_01.thumb.jpg.6a64a00360c213b2308a10aba4decefb.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Yeah, lack of space creates its own set of issues for sure. Trying to get the subject lit and controlling the spill is one of them. I was using the softbox just because it is inherently a bit more directional. I did try an umbrella and flagged the edge nearest the wall. I think with that I just had the umbrella jammed in so close that the falloff was so dramatic that it almost gave it a split light look. I ended up going back to the softbox and repositioning myself, in the kitchen.  There's an open "window" of sorts in the wall between the kitchen and dining room so that I was able to move everything about 45 deg and the back wall is wide enough that I could shoot from right to left and use that left side of the backdrop. Feathered the box so just the back edge was on the subject and got a little bit of wrap around. Put a white reflector opposite that and then used the black flag again to prevent spill on the background. I started out with the model almost in profile facing nearly straight into the box and then slowly tweaked them both.
Got tired of fucking around with it after a while so I pushed everything into a corner and will probably play with again tomorrow. I think I might still have the box too close because the left side of the nose is pretty blown out with no detail. I think if I just pulled the box back a little bit and gave the angle a slight twist I could get a better shot and use the reflector to even out any shadows on that side. 
Then I gelled the background because why not? Oh, also know what you mean about the black felt so switched to a Mexican field workers straw hat. Brim casts a weird shadow and the underside of it is a bit lit up too. Something to work on. Might end up doing as you suggested and lifting the light a bit and bouncing off the wall to fill. The light coming directly from the side at head height just looks unnatural. 
DSC_5373_00001_01.thumb.jpg.6a64a00360c213b2308a10aba4decefb.jpg

I’m digging the red background. So sultry. I actually love to figure out lighting in tight and unconventional spaces. It really gets your ingenuity going. But yeah if you could pull that soft box back you could probably tone down the highlight on the nose. Or you have any sheer curtain laying around? How about a clear shower curtain? I’ve seen people do all sorts of shit. Those will probably warm up your color temp but might be nice.
Edit: I like her looking more into the light at an angle. Now just get her to shift those eyes back to the camera.

23 hours ago, nycHorn said:

I’m digging the red background. So sultry. I actually love to figure out lighting in tight and unconventional spaces. It really gets your ingenuity going. But yeah if you could pull that soft box back you could probably tone down the highlight on the nose. Or you have any sheer curtain laying around? How about a clear shower curtain? I’ve seen people do all sorts of shit. Those will probably warm up your color temp but might be nice.
Edit: I like her looking more into the light at an angle. Now just get her to shift those eyes back to the camera.

I've got a friend in town who owns a frame shop, known the guy since we were teens. We'd talked a few times over the last 20 years but I don't think I'd seen him since the mid '80's. I decided to pay a visit, figured he'd know some artistic types around town whose brains I could pick from time to time. It was the first time I'd ever been in his shop and I fell in love with the place immediately. 30 years or so worth of junk, art, etc... I've got him talked into letting me try my hand at an environmental portrait. I've played with the lighting here at home so I'm not wasting too much of his time. He's more of a creative than I am so it'll end up being a collaborative effort if/when we ever get around to doing it. Small space though, probably 5 different kinds of light. He's got track lighting spots, fluorescent, large windows, you name it. Plan is to just kill all the ambient and start from scratch with strobes. Fun, fun, fun! 

I found a $150 Sigma 10-20mm lens and decided I wanted to play with a wide angle. Spent about 3 hours at the park trying to make use of it and get learned on 'em. Not something I'll use very often but figured it might have some use someday so better play with it a bit. 

I still haven't culled through everything but took a quick look-see and kind of like these 2.

DSC_5476_00001.thumb.jpg.c8a3e95847a33908d37d6439a99b9c66.jpg

DSC_5484_00001_02.thumb.jpg.d85ba2e8abe4ebc49bd1dc6826300dda.jpg

EDIT: One other thing from yesterday, it was about 5:30 and getting dusky out. I was still messing with the lens and wanted to put this rock in the foreground but the side I was on was totally dark by this time. Then I remembered that this camera has a tiny popup fill flash. Photo is not noteworthy but I was quite pleased with myself. Might start throwing a speedlight and a clamp or something into the bag, it could sure come in handy.

DSC_5553_00001.thumb.jpg.97cec8cf66375ad3af4f0ec35247ed5c.jpg

Edited by El Diablo

23 hours ago, YChang said:

Got a Fuji X100V, first time taking some random pics with it this morning. Loving how easy it is for me to transfer via Bluetooth straight to my iPad for editing.

86E9B0BA-655D-43FA-8762-516704FD431A.jpeg

A48ACF29-4BC3-4994-85D0-26F7195DCC9A.jpeg

C8D5BC21-8E87-4EF6-ADC6-0E39861A4E11.jpeg

still one of my favorite series of cameras. I got a Ricoh GR III for its pocketability, but still miss the X100S I had.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Great picture.  It's a wonderful little quiet spot.  I love it there

Yeah, I got caught in the rain there not long after I took that. I was down by where the mulching station is. They have a little green storage shed that has about a 12" eave on it that I was able to stand under. Steady light shower for half an hour or so, not a soul in sight. Was quite peaceful. 

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

None of us Facebook. He used to post on Flickr but not so much anymore. Just enjoys the travel and photography.

Am I being an asshole to the owls if I return Friday to try and get shots?

Naw, as long as you don't hang around long. I had that great horned owl nest here last year and I would sneak by every week or so. But I would probably be an asshole to get my first barn owl shots.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Naw, as long as you don't hang around long. I had that great horned owl nest here last year and I would sneak by every week or so. But I would probably be an asshole to get my first barn owl shots.

Right on.  I won't loiter.  And I think you are about 2.5 hours from this location.  I trust you so if you want it, DM me.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Massive fail today regarding photography (although we had some outstanding BBQ).  Hopefully Friday will be better.  A few from today...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I really enjoy the old neon signs.  I enjoy driving so when I go places I prefer to drive versus flying since I fly so much for work (at least used to) and I generally try to take the roads less traveled.  As such, I am always driving past old buildings and signs. I keep saying that I am going to stop and take pictures of the signs but...I don't except on occasions! 

I really enjoy the old neon signs.  I enjoy driving so when I go places I prefer to drive versus flying since I fly so much for work (at least used to) and I generally try to take the roads less traveled.  As such, I am always driving past old buildings and signs. I keep saying that I am going to stop and take pictures of the signs but...I don't except on occasions! 

I do the same when I drive 287 in the panhandle. I want to stop, but I have a destination. One of these days....

Jason Lee (the skater/Clerks/My Name Is Earl Guy) actually has a large format photo book with some pictures taken in that corridor.

https://www.jasonleefilm.com/a-plain-view-slideshow

Lots are just okay, but pretty cool.
  • Hook 'Em 1

There are a few very good Instagram accounts that document signs and similar. Very cool stuff. I have a nice collection, but have a lot more to go.

I do the same when I drive 287 in the panhandle. I want to stop, but I have a destination. One of these days....

Jason Lee (the skater/Clerks/My Name Is Earl Guy) actually has a large format photo book with some pictures taken in that corridor.

https://www.jasonleefilm.com/a-plain-view-slideshow

Lots are just okay, but pretty cool.

I have followed him for awhile on Instagram. Never bought his book, but I do like much of his photography. But yeah, some of it doesn’t hit. I’m not sure what to call that style either. I know that I sometimes take photos in that style and there seems to be a lot of people doing it.

As far as I know, he lives in Denton.

14 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

He did for a while, but I believe moved back to the LA area a few years ago.

I didn't know that.  I just now went and looked at his "Between LA and Texas" series and realized some of it is not far off from one of the projects I am working on.  Not identical, I don't think.  I mean, after all, everyone's eye and perspective is different.  But some similar subject matter for sure.  Trying to not let that deter me as I know he isn't the first one to do similar photos.

Pop's owl photos immediately made me think of the Rush album cover for "Fly By Night", the first pic especially. 

Went back to the drawing board with the "people in hats". Like this effort better. Pretty good control over the spill and still had space to move around! I broke out a C stand and baby boom arm to get the light in a better position. Last try I just used an extension arm and didn't want to push my luck with the weight. Looking at these pics it's crazy how just raising or tilting the brim changes the final image. I like the 2nd one better and think if I'd just had the face turned slightly more to their left then that right nostril wouldn't look so wonky and would open up the right eye. Also think that with a light colored hat like that a bit of diffusion over the top half of the light would tone that down some. It, for me at least, draws my eye to it rather than to the face. 

DSC_5668_00001.thumb.jpg.d28edefa0d32c20a15ffd585f1dd1752.jpg

DSC_5669_00001.thumb.jpg.df4f93b5eb7c35a1ac1b7d8ab44d74de.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The photography plan.

Just know that it will lock you in for a year, even though it’s $9.99 a month.

That's the one I'm thinking would best suit me.

Got out of the house early and took a trip to the river. This is a test shot for something I want to try, a long-ish early morning exposure. This was hand held at 1/80, ISO 100 and f11 and if my maths are right I could do 16 seconds with a 10 stop ND filter and kill all the ripples. My ride didn't have time to wait for me so I didn't mess with different framing/focal length. I think this was around 12-14mm on a crop sensor. Basically I just wanted to see what the scene looked like and I got that. Next time I'll go early and start snapping shots every little bit until the light gets ugly.

DSC_5670_00001.thumb.jpg.5f94402d8b144d40cc3af42a0db2103f.jpg

• Like 2

Anyone shooting medium format?  I am considering buying a Bronica GS-1 when finances stabilize.  Experiences?

I have a Mamiya RB67. I haven’t used it a ton cause it is pretty bulky, but it is awesome.

Naija has one or two. I think a Fuji rangefinder and maybe a Mamiya RZ? I can’t remember.

Looking back, I don’t have any meaningful shots with it. Pretty much all of them are test shots, to test my film backs and experiment with close focusing and exploring the camera. I brought it to Utah last year and tried some Velvia 50, but I didn’t get good results from that.

Here’s a few boring photos (sorry). I missed focus on some these too, since it can be tricky on the RB, and the lenses have a ring on the front for a floating element that I sometimes forget to adjust for maximum sharpness. These can have incredibly thin DoF so you gotta be careful. I need to use the thing more.

49532562187_b7387ab5e3_o.jpg

49531833588_1b69de871d_o.jpg

49532558847_b59f20f937_o.jpg

49532327986_77853729ce_o.jpg

49799869653_0d1f171813_o.jpg

49800417476_9a28f6fee5_o.jpg

Tank.

c801be94d54a23d8e6e5565eda8155a3.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3