The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

Yesterday I went for a drive to the usual Houston neighborhoods.  On my way home I was on old Hempstead Highway.  Most people drive 50-60 mph on this road.  I see up ahead in the middle of the road what looks like a man.  I slow down, sure enough its an older guy (older than me I should say).  I can't tell if he is drunk or has something else going on, but he is walking slow into oncoming traffic.  So I make a u-turn and get on the shoulder and yell to him to get out of the road.  English didn't seem to do much, so I tried in Spanish.  He mumbles something to me and I repeat for him to get out of the road.  He finally walks over to me.  I stay in my truck and tell him to get out of the road or someone is going to run him over.  I ask him where is his family and he says Mexico but his sister lives here.  It is becoming obvious that he is very drunk.  He is talking with his hands and I see that they are now wet.  I ask him what he is doing and he says nada.  I look down and he had pissed on the side of my truck.  I guess no good deed goes unpunished.  I tell him to stay out of the damn road and I went to the gas station to wash the piss off my truck.

El Borracho:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have two of these rail spike prints left.  Maybe someone here is interested, or knows someone that might.  $35 post paid.  All money goes to the Buy a Medium Format Camera fund.

spacer.png

• Like 3

I watched the video of that guy "Shoestring" all the way thru, don't remember now which thread that was in but I dug it. Watching him pulling out on a train reminded me a bit of pulling out of port on a ship. Hard to put into words really but I think the sounds and the motion are what triggered the thought. Always leaving, never staying one place too long and leaving good memories behind but ready for some quiet time and the next adventure is just around the corner or over the horizon. 

I watched the video of that guy "Shoestring" all the way thru, don't remember now which thread that was in but I dug it. Watching him pulling out on a train reminded me a bit of pulling out of port on a ship. Hard to put into words really but I think the sounds and the motion are what triggered the thought. Always leaving, never staying one place too long and leaving good memories behind but ready for some quiet time and the next adventure is just around the corner or over the horizon. 

I have watched some of his videos, but I like the Stobe the Hobo videos more. He died a few years back when he was hit by a train. He had some cool videos of abandoned farms and ranches along tracks that he would explore.
  • Like 1

Fucking fantastic LTBear and Doug.  Y'all make me want to do more nature photography.

So I am still unemployed and therefore still trying to fund photography with photography.  So I won't be getting a medium format for some time, which is ok, but I really want it for a large project I want to start.  I finally decided to make a BigCartel page for prints.  Right now I only have 4 prints as the free option only allows for 5 products and I am saving one spot for a collaboration print I am doing with an artist friend.  He is going to screen print by hand one of my photos in CMYK.  Really excited to see how it comes out.  He did this for a photo he took and I thought it came out really cool.  Anyways, here is the BigCartel site.  Not begging for folks to buy anything, but over the years I have had several posters ask to buy prints, so I figured I would let y'all know about it:  https://davidelizondophotography.bigcartel.com/

Some recent shots:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Some random pics of some people that I have seen in my travels.

I wish that I had a sharper pic of these three guys in Ajmer, India.  Taken with a iPhone from inside the car.

Wi100_2895.thumb.JPG.0ceee46594e62e96f422343ba0781e0f.JPG

This group was riding on a flat bed trailer behind a semi going down the highway in northern India.

100_2882.thumb.JPG.5f53f76f381bdc1fc55f6a59333b362b.JPG

Hitching a ride to Barranquilla, Colombia

Colombia.thumb.JPG.65254b00164edd5efc89ca6ad58a1e26.JPG

Solwezi, Zambia

IMG_0689.thumb.JPG.1171e2f373a714143bd48faa4b7c78fe.JPG

"Hollywood" in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Mongolian.thumb.JPG.d56df89a1ebf2cb6389189d499d22170.JPG

Macha Pichu locals

IMG_5103.thumb.JPG.4e652ec136b847d32658fceed225dbd4.JPG

Young fishermen in Casablanca

1711264294_MoroccoPort.thumb.JPG.cf2825677af6eebcfa604b5d1439920e.JPG

Zourat, Mauritania International Airport

1477784409_ZoueratMauritaniaAirport.thumb.JPG.3f15fb69b8412f043d2a48ea93daacf8.JPG

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

San Bernard NWR was the first place I traveled out of town to bird. I had no idea what I was doing, but the barred owl I stumbled upon to start the day was pretty unmistakable. Cool shots, I'm hoping migrants are hanging around in good numbers still when I head to the coast next weekend.

A few more from the herparama.

At first I thought I'd gotten there at feeding time and then I'm like oh shit, this lizard's killing one of his cell mates but nope - just dragged 'em up and teabagged him/her.

DSC_8072_00001.thumb.jpg.9722809223d2d1ccd2d7ca3f25e38591.jpg

DSC_8075_00001.thumb.jpg.30be0475230874deb4d3ddcefee62532.jpg

Iguana pose for ya. Okay, take mah pitcher.

DSC_8080_00001.thumb.jpg.7b4517d795da282972e1e255cc83e77e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, pops said:

Thanks to covid fucking everything up,  I snapped a few at my kid's first little league  game...which should have been last year. 

P1000630.jpg

P1000632.jpg

P1000641.jpg

Yeah, last year was a beating for a lot of photographers. Portrait photographers really suffered. I'm a generalist but was hoping/planning to shoot a lot of events. Concerts, drag boat races, rodeo etc... None of it happened. Still not sure when things will really open up again. Most large events, at least locally, never got planned for this year out of COVID fears so basically another year lost. The only upside of it has been the fact that it's forced me to find things to shoot that I might not have otherwise considered. I've learned some good things doing that so it hasn't been a complete waste but I'm so ready for normal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LTbear said:

Wolf.sharpen.haze.10.jpg

Yellowstone?  We were up there back in late October and you needed a Hubbell Telescope to see them they were so far off. Fortunately there were some of the "wolf spotters/chasers" that had some powerful scopes with them that they let us look through.  Even then they were hard to see.  but still...got to see'em.  That and grizzly 399 and her cubs in the Tetons.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Yellowstone?  We were up there back in late October and you needed a Hubbell Telescope to see them they were so far off. Fortunately there were some of the "wolf spotters/chasers" that had some powerful scopes with them that they let us look through.  Even then they were hard to see.  but still...got to see'em.  That and grizzly 399 and her cubs in the Tetons.

Yep, Yellowstone. The little spotting scopes are definitely useful, but if you're around the park enough you can get closer. This was between 50-100 yards (only 50 because a river was between us and he trotted to the opposite bank for a bit).

Yep, Yellowstone. The little spotting scopes are definitely useful, but if you're around the park enough you can get closer. This was between 50-100 yards (only 50 because a river was between us and he trotted to the opposite bank for a bit).

How much lens?

I felt woefully inadequate with my 70-200 and 1.4x TC (on a full frame). Obviously that’s not good enough for wildlife in general but damn it felt very small there.

59 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

How much lens?

I felt woefully inadequate with my 70-200 and 1.4x TC (on a full frame). Obviously that’s not good enough for wildlife in general but damn it felt very small there.

400mm f2.8 on full frame; I often use a 2X extender, too. I shoot with the Canon R5 and loooooooove it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Gotdam!

I am on a 5DIV, but I still love the thing.

Someday I may get an R5, or maybe wait for the Mark II.

That’s a hell of a lens though! Good shit.

The R5 is great for wildlife; the AF tracking is superb. This is also my first mirrorless camera/ first time with an electronic viewfinder, and the fact that the EVF auto updates what you're seeing based on your current settings is awesome.

• Like 1

I shoot with a EOS R and my father shoots with a R5.  He also has the D1X or whatever that beast is called.  He got the RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM and that is one hell of a lens.  I love to borrow it without an extension, although he does have the 2x I think.  I just think it makes the image a bit soft, but maybe that is just when I am shooting with it.  He gifted me a damaged and refurbished 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6.  It is a great lens, but I think that RF 100-500 is superior (although I have never compared the data).

I do love these Canon mirrorless cameras.  I am sure there will be another iteration of mine sooner or later, but I don't see myself upgrading for awhile. 

On 5/2/2021 at 1:46 PM, LTbear said:

wolf.v4.jpg

Love the wolves.  We have 2 packs that are currently competing for territory close to our cabin.  You can hear them talking shit to each other almost nightly.  My current evening routine is to sit out on the porch with a couple of fingers worth of Jameson's, smoke a bowl, and listen to them howl at each other.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mooseoutfront said:

Love the wolves.  We have 2 packs that are currently competing for territory close to our cabin.  You can hear them talking shit to each other almost nightly.  My current evening routine is to sit out on the porch with a couple of fingers worth of Jameson's, smoke a bowl, and listen to them howl at each other.

Living the dream man. Whereabouts is your cabin?

7 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

Denali Borough, Alaska.

About 40 miles Northeast of the entrance to Denali National Park.

Fantastic spot. Denali is an incredibly beautiful, wild, and unforgiving world. The landscape is so different from anything south of Canada.

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

He also has the D1X or whatever that beast is called. 

Ha, those cameras always remind me of Boris the Blade from Snatch "if it doesn't work, you can always hit him with it".  Those things are built like tanks and weigh correspondingly, especially with any longer focal length attached to it.  But man, I've seen those things go through some shit and come out on the other side.

I'm curious to see what the Canon R3 has to offer, but sounds like it'll be positioned more like the 5D was and there is probably an R1 coming out to replace the 1DX MK3.  

Edited by nycHorn
  • Like 2